The sneak out

Naughty Kiss

“Kai!” I yelled. ”Kai! Are you alright? Does it hurt?”

“Go Ji Eun”, by the sound of his voice I knew he was in deep pain. “Yelling isn’t going to make things better.”

“I’m sorry”, I looked down on my hands feeling bad for yelling at him.

“Help me up”, he said. He put his arm around my shoulder and I managed to pull him up. I helped him walk to the only way out of the basketball court. I let him lean on me and we walked pass the crowd that made a way for us. We finally made it to the nurse after much difficulty with the stairs.

“Nurse Jang!” I called when we entered the room. She came running out of her office. “Kai just fell on his leg, could you please help him?” Nurse Jang immediately came to our side and helped me put Kai down on one of the beds in the room. Instead of pulling his pant up she brought a scissor.

“I have to cut your pants”, she said.

“Go ahead”, Kai had regained his cold appearance. “Ji Eun ah.”

“Yes?” I asked and tried not to look at his leg that was a bit bloody, because it brought back bad memories. Being in this room made me think back of Min Ho’s accident and I was actually trembling.

“Why don’t you wait outside?” He asked. “You can come back inside after she finishes treating me.”

“B-but y…”

“You’re shaking”, he said. ”Being here won’t do you good so I’m asking you, please step out." When I didn't move his face softened. "For now.”

I did as I was told and walked outside the infirmary. While waiting, I recalled the time I was waiting for Min Ho’s surgery and just then I heard Kai yell out in pain. I closed my eyes, took a deep breath and endured it until nurse Jang opened the door.

“You can go inside”, she said. I entered the nurse room again and saw that she had put a bandage on Kai’s right foot.

“I thought you fell on your leg”, I said.

“I did”, he looked at me. “But my ankle was the source of my pain. I just scrapped my leg a little thus the blood.”

“Oh”, I nodded.

“I guess she cut my pants for nothing”, he laughed. I bit my lip and glared at him.

“You’re laughing?” I asked. ”You’re laughing when you just hurt your foot?”

“Relax”, he lost his smile. “I was simply trying to make you feel comfortable.”

“Well I’m not”, I said. “I feel guilty this happened. If Chen didn’t know about last night he wouldn’t have challenged you and this wouldn’t have happened.”

“You’re blaming yourself again about something you had no control over?” He asked. ”I was the one who agreed to the challenge not you so stop putting everything on your shoulder all the time.” I stopped and tried to calm down. He was right his wasn't my fault.

“Fine”, I said. “I’ll try not to.”

“Great”, he sat up. “I’m not going to stay in this room all day long. I want to go home.”

“I’ll call Mrs. Kim”, I took out my phone but he pulled it out my hand. “Why?”

“I said I want to go home”, he said. When I didn't respond, he smirked. ”What I meant by that was take me home.”

“Me?” I frowned. Why did he want me to take him home? “But Mrs. Kim could drive you if w-”

“Go Ji Eun”, Kai got off the bed. He took a few steps by jumping on his functioning foot and stopped right in front of me. Shy by his sudden nearness, I looked away. “I’m asking you take me home. I won’t ask you twice.”

“O…okay”, I said still looking away. “I’ll go get our things. Just wait here.”

After I got our belongings from both our classes, I went back to the infirmary and we got ready to leave. Some students were pointing their finger at Kai on our way out, but I ignored all of it. 

It wasn't until halfway near the house that Kai started talking.

“Why did you cry?” He asked. I didn’t want to talk about last night anymore but since he asked I thought why not be honest.

“Because you were a jerk”, I answered. I felt his grip around my shoulder grab hold of me firmer.

“You knew what you were getting into by continuing to like me after I kissed you”, Kai said. “So I’m not going to apologise about you crying over that.” I rolled my eyes. I wasn’t waiting for his apology either. We finally reached the house when he said something I never thought I’d hear. “But I will apologise for not calling you over the summer and for being a jerk about it. You made me realise I was wrong.” Was I dreaming? No, I wasn’t. It was true, Kai had actually apologised.

“Thank you”, I said. We entered the empty house and I helped Kai inside his room. He lied down on his bed and closed his eyes. I was leaving but he held me back by grabbing my hand.

"Stay", he said. "Like last time?" I turned towards him. What did he mean by like last time? Kai opened his eyes. "Do I have to say it?"

"What are you talking about?"

He sighed. "I want you...", He put his other hand down on the free space next to him, "Here." And that's when it clicked. Kai wanted me to lay down next to him like the time he was sick. Why? I didn't know but it didn't bother me at all and I didn't hesitate to get by his side although I was nervous and my heart was racing.

When I did lie down, he pulled me closer to him. His arms felt like they always did, strong, comfortable and like they would protect me forever. I eventually closed my eyes and just relaxed.

I don't know how long we layed there but when I opened my eyes again, the room was darker than it was when we first came home. Kai was sound asleep so I carefully removed his arms from around me and got off the bed. I took slow steps towards the door when I heard him moving.

“Thank you”, he said. Without answering, I left his room, closing the door behind me and hurried into my room.

At around 1am on the night of that day, I left my bed because a name I had forgotten suddenly popped up in my head. I had forgotten about Chen after the incident and I knew he must have been really hurt that I left with Kai. 

Feeling guilty, I grabbed a hoodie over my pajama and hurried downstairs as silently as I could. As I tiptoed to the hallway, someone grabbed my hand and cornered me against the kitchen’s door. I couldn’t see the face but by recognising the scent, I knew it was him.                                           

“What are you doing out here at this hour?” He asked.

“I’m… uh”, I looked around trying to come up with a lie. “I wanted to drink water.”

“You’re lying”, he said. “You were heading that way.” He pointed to the hallway.

“Fine”, I admitted. “I’m going out. What’s the big deal?”

“Wow Go Ji Eun”, he smirked. “I don’t know what happened to you during this summer, but you’ve changed. You’re even sneaking out of the house now. Who are you going to meet?" I pursed my lips and didn't answer him. "Is it him? Chen?”

“Why are you asking?” I raised an eyebrow. When he didn’t answer, I gasped. ”Oh, could it be that you’re jealous?”

“Not at all”, he smirked. “I was just wondering how if feels to watch the girl you like running after and catering ffor another guy when you’re trying to stand up for her.” I completely froze at what he’d said. My guilt level rose through the roof. “Have fun”, he let me go. 

With Kai’s words weighing heavy on my shoulders, I made my way to Chen’s house. Once, there I climbed over the fence like I did a million times before and entered the backyard where I saw a light coming from Chen’s window. I threw a few rocks at his window and it didn’t take long before he opened it and looked outside. His hair was messy and he looked tired. I had probably woken him from his sleep.

“Ji Eun?” he called. “What are you doing here?”

“I'm sorry”, I said.

“So now you remembered me”, he said. I looked at him with puppy eyes. I felt really bad for leaving him after what happened at school.

“Want to join me?” I asked. “I will sincerely apologise to you, your feelings and our friendship.” He closed the window and I waited. Soon, he came out in the backyard.

“Did I wake you up?” I asked. “You looked like you were sleeping.”

“Nah”, he shook his head. “I was awake.”

“Really?” I knew he was lying and tried to test him out. ”The first to run to the tree wins.” I started running and got there before he did.

“That’s cheating”, he said. ”You didn’t give me a chance to get ready.”

“You should simply admit that you lost”, I stuck my tongue out.              

“I admit”, he said. We walked in silent and enjoyed each other’s company until we reached the park. “How is he?”

“Who?” I obliviously asked. “Kai? He’s fine. I thought he hurt his leg but he only twisted his ankle.”

“You did look petrified when he fell”, Chen remarked.           

“I was”, I admitted. “But it doesn’t explain why I just left you there. Is your back hurt?”

“I didn’t fall as badly”, he said. “My back is perfectly fine.”

“I’m sorry”, I said.

“It’s okay”, Chen smiled. “I understand. You love him. It’s only natural that you act that way.”

“But I…”, I sighed. “I like y…”

“I’m thirsty”, Chen interrupted me. “Let’s go to the store.” Why did he do that? Why did he stop me from finishing my sentence? He knew I was going to say I liked him. But he probably didn’t want to hear it, especially after what I did.

We entered a nearby convenience store and he bought a bottle of water and milk. On our way out, I opened the milk bottle.

“Where do you see yourself in five years?” I asked.

“On stage”, he answered. “Singing with my group in front of millions of people. You?”

“I see myself as a 5 time grammy winner”, I answered, “Who had a duet with G-Dragon.”

“Here we go again with G-dragon”, Chen laughed. “You’ve been talking about him all summer. I know he’s a good rapper but you’re obsessed with him.”

“He’s the best of the best”, I said.

“No”, Chen disagreed. “Chan Yeol is.” I let out a laugh when I heard him say Chan Yeol’s name and accidentally spilled milk on my sweater.

“Your hoodie”, Chen laughed.

“i’m telling Chan you think he’s at rapping”, I ignored what he said.

“Everybody thinks so”, Chen laughed. ”You should take off your sweater.” I did as I was told and Chen stared at me. I followed his eyes and caught him looking at my pulled up tank top.

“You better not be doing what I think you’re doing”, I said. He shook his head and looked at me.

“I wasn’t”, he smirked. “I… uh… yeah.”  I was drying my sweater, when he suddenly stopped me. He took off his hoodie revealing the t-shirt he was wearing underneath and gave it to me.

“Wear it”, he said.

“But y…”

“I’m not asking you, Ji Eun ah”, he said. I took his hoodie without complaining and put it on. His hoodie was so big it looked like a short dress on me, but it was also very warm, soft and comfortable. “You’re not going to get cold now.” He started arranging the hoodie on me.

“Aren’t you cold?” I asked when we sat down on a bench next to the park.

“I’m fine.”, he looked at me. His eyes were glued to mine. I leaned my head on his shoulder and wrapped my arms around him.

“Now you’re warm”, I said. He answered by combing through my hair with his fingers from time to time. Being this close to Chen, made me feel warm and fuzzy inside and I liked it, but it also got me thinking.

Was this the way it felt like when people dated? Was this the way couples took care of each other? Would the cold Kai ever act like this towards me if he and I ever started dating? I knew Chen wouldn’t have any problem being warm and loving, but Kai was Kai and from knowing him almost a year now, he didn’t know how to be warm and loving.

“What are you thinking about?”

“Things”, I said. “You and others.”

“That’s good enough to make me happy”, he answered. I closed my eyes and inhaled. It was so relaxing to be this close to Chen, I wouldn’t have been able to get up if I was asked to.

                                                                                                           

 

I was hearing birds chiming around me and opened my eyes. It was sunny and I was surrounded by trees. It suddenly hit me, that I had slept outside. Oh my god! I slept outside! I was so dead!

“Chen!” I woke him up. Chen looked around.

“W…what?” He rubbed his eyes.

“We have to get home”, I said. “Now!” His eyes widened. No more words where needed, we just knew we had to run and we did.

“I can come with you”, he said.

“It’s fine”, I refused. “You go home. I’ll call you later.” I ran all the way to the Kim’s without stopping and manage to sneak inside unnoticed. I was scared that someone (Tae Ri, my dad or Mr. Kim) would see me, because then I would be in a lot of trouble. 

I took off my shoes and put them in the shoe closet. Then I tiptoed and hurried across the stairs.

“Got you!” I was so startled when I heard him, my heartbeat sped up and I had to hold on to the long bar near the staircase. “Why are you so scared? Could it be you just come home?” 

I looked at him. He was standing in front of me, on the stair above mine with a devilish smile and very mischevious eyes. I might have been afraid of the adults of the house, but he scared me more.