The old friends

Naughty Kiss

I expected people to put their attention at us once we entered the lunch room, which is exactly what they did. All eyes where on Chen, Kris, Su Ho and Chan Yeol. Me? I was just there.

"May the whispers begin", I commented as we advanced in the food line.

"By the way", Kris who was standing next to me asked after contemplating me for a while. "Why do you let them call you names?"

"Ah”, I said. “You’ve heard about pabo eun?” I awkwardly laughed but when he didn’t I stopped. ”It’s okay, it doesn’t bother me.”

”It should…”, Kris began but stopped to scowl at the food. "That looks disgusting." And for once, I actually agreed with Kris.

"It looks fine to me", Chan Yeol said. His eyes were virtually devouring the food and his mouth looked limp.

"Take it easy Chen", someone said right behind us. It was Tao. "The food won't run away."

"My man!" Kris shouted ecstatically, giving Tao an affectionate hug. I had no idea the two of them knew each other. "Where have you been for the past few months?"

"I've been around", Tao coolly answered. "Why did you come all the way here to pay a visit to my dongsaeng instead of me?"

"Because we needed her urgently", Su Ho replied. He was busy serving both himself and Chan Yeol while the other followed closely.

"About. ..?" Tao asked.

"It's personal T", Chen clapped Tao's back. "Maybe next time we can tell you."

"Yeah yeah", Tao spoke carelessly. "I don't want to know." He stepped out of the food line. "We’re sitting over there." He pointed to our old spot where the gang was seated. Following his leave, we all focused on Chan Yeol whose plate was full of everything that was in the food court.

"What?" He asked. Chan Yeol protectively put his arms over his food. "I'm hungry." He quickly walked to the table Tao pointed at with Su Ho behind him meanwhile Kris, Chen and I bought sandwiches. When we joined the table, it seemed everyone already knew each other. It didn’t take long before we were all chitchatting like old friends.

"Who are you two pretty ladies?" Kris winked at Lime and Alice all the while sitting next to them.

"My girlfriend Lime", Se Hun introduced and Lime shyly waved. Upon hearing she was taken, Kris turned his attention onto Alice.

"Alice", she said. She was blushing hard.

"How about I take you to dinner sometime?" Kris asked. He was clearly eyeing her in a flirtatious way.

"How about no." Chen said. "Alice, ignore him. Hyung is no good for any girl at all. The girl he ends up with is going to be a special kind of girl cause she’ll have to handle him, his ego and his height." Everyone laughed.

"Dearly noted", Alice seemed relieved whereas Kris stared at Chen.

"I should be deeply offended by what you just said", he said. ”But I’m not.”

”I'm sure you weren’t", Lu Han who was sitting at the far end of the table stated, starting an eruption of laughter  from everybody again - even Kris.

"So what are you guys up to this weekend or the next?" Chan Yeol asked mouthful after everyone ended their laughter. ”We have on more week on break and have literally nothing to do."

"About that", I said. ”Tae Ri said she wanted to throw me a welcome back party, so we're going camping some weekend. I could make it happen next weekend. She told me to invite my friends if anyone is interested."

"I don't have anything to do", Tao said. "I'm in."

"Me too", Alice smiled. "It can be like a get together thing to celebrate the end of summer."

"Will the food be delicious?" Chan Yeol asked with a wide mouthed smile.

"Mrs. Kim's food is the best", Chen answered. “Isn’t it?" He nudged my shoulder and I nodded.

"Na", Se Hun disagreed. "Mr. Go's the best I've had."

"I guess I'll go then", Chan Yeol continued to eat.

"Bathroom", Su Ho frowned. He looked... constipated. But could someone actually look constipated? I had no idea.

"I'll show you", Lu han offered and they both left the table.

"I'll make sure the others come", Kris said. “It won’t take too long to convince them.” I laughed knowing Kris would force them to come along even if any of them didn’t want to.

"Are you going with us?" I asked Chen silently so only he could hear.

"I don't know", he answered. "Maybe I’ll come." I gave him a concerned look, hoping the reason he hesitated had nothing to do with Kai. My concern led me to put my hand on his as a friendly and comforting gesture, but Chen closed his eyes.

"Ji Eun", he whispered. The frown that took over his face made me realise my action could be deemed inappropriate even after our conversation earlier and I immediately pulled my hand away.

"I'm sorry", I apologized. "I didn't mean to."

"No", Chen opened his eyes. "It's not that. Kai is on his way here.” I immediately turned to see if it was true. Was Kai really coming to our table?  

Before I could even blink, Kai was already standing next to me - with his cold face, a tray in his hands that contained a red apple, a glass of milk and a book. He gazed at me and my heart skipped a beat. I knew I was blushing. Soon it turned into the two of us eyeing each other until he finally spoke.

"Would you eh...", Kai cleared his voice. Now that made me curious. Since when did Kai hesitate before talking? Was he perhaps nervous? "Would you like to have lunch with me?" I blinked several times. I was completely blanked out by what he said and I could see fireworks everywhere right now, but those images quickly dissipated.

"Huh?" I asked. I was now questioning my hearing. *Did Kim Jong In just ask me to have lunch with him?*  I waited for him to ask again but when he didn't, I squinted my eyes at him and I understood. Although it didn't show on his face or his posture, it was written all over his still cold eyes. Kai was embarrassed  and he looked adorable. "Sure”, I finally answered, “but we’re talking about the camping trip I can’t just leave like that."

"Can I join you then?" This time he looked at the others as he spoke.

"Sure", Alice, Kris and Lime said.

"No", Tao and Se Hun said at the same time.

I sneered at both Tao and Se Hun who replied by doing the same thing.

"Three said yes", I pointed out. ”Majority rule.” Kai pulled a chair from another table and I took the opportunity to stick my tongue at my two friends right before Kai sat next to me.

"You must be the famous Kai everyone’s talking about", Kris commented. "I must admit you are good looking. Too bad I'm better looking though." A laugh escaped my lips. It was so typical of Kris to say something like that.

"And you are?" Kai opened his book.

"Kris", Kris answered. It became silent. ”So you’re the one that keeps ruining things between Ji E-”  Thankfully  someone, I think Tao, kicked him in the leg before he was able to cause any more damage with his mouth. "Ouch!" Kai took the chance to read his book, hiding his face behind it. Su Ho and Lu Han came back soon after. Lu Han suspiciously glanced over at Kai as he settled in a chair.

"What is he doing here?" He asked hatefully and loud enough for Kai to hear.

"He wanted to have lunch with his girlfriend", Tao said.

”Girlf-” Kris gasped. ”Wait!” He looked at Chen and Me. ”You guys broke up?” I awkwardly cleared my throat, not knowing what to do or say. ”I thought you just had a fight.”

"Su Ho hyung", Tao said. "Can you tell the Chinese guy over there to shut his mouth?"

Kris dropped his fork.

"The Chinese guy?" Kris emphasized on the word Chinese. “Aren’t you also part Chinese?” 

I rolled my eyes knowing the two were going to bicker and turned my face towards Kai instead. He was still hiding under his book. Kai always had his face behind a newspaper or a book, but right now I knew the only reason he didn't show his face was because he felt very uncomfortable. I mean who wouldn't, when 80% of the people sitting next to him hated him? But I was touched he was willing to go through that just to have lunch with me. 

I kept looking at him very well aware that the surroundings started fading away and as if on cue, Kai chose that moment to take a glimpse at me. When he saw I was already looking at him, he put down his book without ending our eye contact. His blank face didn't match his eyes that were sparkling in a very unlike Kai way. I felt my heartbeat quicken by the second, the longer we looked at each other. 

His eyes made me overwhelmingly self-conscious and I knew my cheeks were burning red by now. It practically felt like my skin was on fire, but I didn't want to end the eye contact. Unfortunately the people who were around us didn't feel the same. Someone gently elbowed me and another kept repeating Kai's name over and over again.

"Kim Jong In?" Su Ho's eyes widened as he continued to look at Kai. I looked at Chen who had been elbowing me to wake up and realized everyone was observing both Kai and me. *Oh great! They saw.* Kai shook his head to wake up and gave Su Ho a clueless look.

”Joon Myun hyung?" Kai asked.  

”Yes, Kiddo!”, Su Ho yelled in glee. He ruffled Kai's hair making everyone anticipate the younger's reaction. I was so nervous Kai would snap which his eyes indicated he was about to. "It's me!" I saw Kai's eyes go from anger to confusion and thankfully to delight as he and Su Ho gave each other a long lasting brotherly hug that sparked everyone’s - and I mean everyone’s interest. I was very eager to know the history behind the two.

"Wow", Su Ho looked at Kai from head to toe. "Look at you! You're so handsome and tall."

"You're also.. handsome", Kai smiled and sat down. Now I was confused. Did you know how weird it sounded to hear Kai compliment another person so naturally? "I mean considering the old days."

"Yeah", Su Ho nodded. "I guess I was reborn throughout the years, but I see your face is still the same it used to be. I bet the ladies can't keep their hands off." Kai snorted and a chuckle left his lips.

Witnessing this entire conversation had left me speechless. I was shocked to see this side of Kai. Who was the person sitting next to me? And what had he done to the Kai I thought I knew so well?

"You know me", he said. His eyes moved to something standing behind Su Ho before moving back to his friend again. "I'm not much for those kinds of things."

"You still make girls cry?" Su Ho joked. However, when Kai didn't laugh but instead looked nervous, Su Ho turned to me. When he met my eyes, he looked at Chen, me and then back at Kai again. Something seemed to have clicked in his head but he changed subject. ”How have you been for these past few years?"

"Great", Kai answered. He had regained his smile. "I've been going through new things lately but I'm fine."

"That's good", Su Ho said. "Sorry I haven't been around when I promised I would, but I had to leave a-"

"It's fine", Kai gave Su Ho a comforting nod. "I'm fine and everything's fine." Su Ho clapped Kai’s back and I knew they had a quiet understanding of something.

"What about you?" Kai asked. The sadness that had showed in his eyes earlier was almost gone. "I thought you were training at… SM was it?"

”I''ve debuted", Su Ho said. 

"Congratulations", Kai smirked. It wasn't one of the smirks he usually gave but a friendly one that made me jealous. Yeah, it oddly made me jealous. "You're finally on your way to realise your dream. I'm glad for you."

"Really?" Su Ho narrowed his eyes. "I thought you hated the idea of me following Krystal’s footsteps." 

A strange feeling came over me when I saw something dark take over Kai's face for a few seconds before he regained the smile he had plastered on his face since Su Ho and he started talking. Krystal? As I tried to remember where I had heard the name it came to me. Krystal was the girl who had called him that night we went to that bar.

"I had enough time to get over that", Kai looked at his hyung. "I was a kid back then and couldn't see past my own… wants."

"You bet you couldn't", Su Ho laughed. "You even hit me." Kai laughed.

"You deserved that", he said. "I won't apologise for it." Hearing those words, I recalled the fight between Chen and Kai. That’s exactly what he said then too.

"I know", Su Ho agreed. "Krystal told me to say hi today." Kai flinched and I saw how Su Ho carefully observed him. "I think she knows what school you go to."

"Of course she would", Kai said matter-of-factly. "And I see you keep contact with her."

"It's not like I have a choice", Su Ho said. "We're in the same company."  

Having been listening to their conversation, it wasn’t until now that what Su Ho just said made understand where else I had heard the name Krystal. She was an idol at SM. She was in one of the biggest girl group in the idol market right now. How come she, Su Ho and Kai knew each other? By the way they were talking about her, it seemed to be a very emotional subject for the both of them and that only meant one thing. Krystal had either been their friend of their love interest from before.

I didn't really know how I felt about that, but it definitely didn't feel good knowing I had competition with another girl when it came to Kai.

"I didn't know", Kai looked at Su Ho. "I thought you were going to a company far away from her." I couldn’t help but notice how he said away. He sounded so… hurt?

"Things happened", Su Ho looked sorry. 

"You know hyung", Kai smiled. "I wish we could stop dwelling on the past.  I haven't seen you in a long time and Miss Jung is not a subject I wish to discuss right now."

"Of course", Su Ho agreed.

"I need to go", Kai got up. "I have class in 5 minutes, but I hope to see you at the camping trip." I followed Kai with my eyes and watched him leave, then my eyes shifted to Su Ho.

"How do you know that jerk?" Se Hun asked.

"Kai's not a jerk", Su Ho laughed. "He is the smartest and nicest kid I know." I raised an eyebrow and exchanged looks with the others. I was in love with Kai but even I knew he was a jerk even if he could be sweet and all. Clearly Su Ho hadn't seen Kai in a long time.

"Are you sure we're talking about the same Kai?" Lu Han asked. Su Ho looked at all of us.

"Yes", he said.

"But how did you two become friends?" I asked. Curiosity had taken over me.

"Jong In was my first girlfriend", Su ho explained. Everyone laughed.

"Girlfriend?" Chen and Lime asked. He 

"You know how he went through that girl phase in kindergarten?" Su Ho explained and things started to make sense in my head. I burst out, laughing like a crazy person. "Ji Eun knows what I'm talking about."

"You guys remember the picture I showed of Kai during that dinner last year?" I asked. Tao's face lightened up and the rest began to understand with the exception of Chen, Chan Yeol and Kris.

"We weren't exactly boyfriend and girlfriend but I had a crush on him thinking he was a girl", Su Ho said. "So one day I kissed him and he kicked me. Kai was very quiet back then so I kept pursuing him until he started crying one day saying he was a boy and all hell broke loose."

"Cried?" Tao asked. "That statue cried?" Su Ho looked at us with a frown.

"Don't hate on him", he said. "He has always been cold, but if his personality worsened over time, I’m probably to blame for that."

"What did you do?" Alice asked.

"Something I'm not proud of", Su Ho vaguely answered. "I think we need to go now."

Everyone turned their attention to Chan Yeol who was still eating. Kris had to pull the fork and plate away from him.

"Hyung!" Chan Yeol whined. Kris hit his forehead with the back of his hand.

"You want to become indigested?" He asked. "You ate at least one kg worth of food."

"I'm hungry", Chan Yeol pouted but when Kris didn’t budge, he stood.

"It was nice having you guys around", Tao said. The boys exchanged their bro hugs before hugging Lime, Alice and me.

"Thank you", I said after hugging Chan Yeol and going into Kris’s arms. "You should more aware of your surroundings, oppa.” Kris replied by lifting me off the ground and planting a big fat and wet kiss on my cheek.

"I bet that makes up for it", he ruffled my hair. I grimaced and rubbed away the big fat and wet mark off my cheek.

"That was disgusting", I said.

"You should consider yourself lucky", he smiled. "Do you know how many thousands of people want me to kiss them?" He took a step forward and I protectively stepped back.

"Don't want to know", I said. Su Ho gave me a hug. "I'm sorry for our euh... whatever it was earlier."

"Nah", Su Ho waved his hand. "I should be the one apologising. I went a little overboard." We exchanged a comprehensive look when I felt arms around me.

"Gotcha", Kris said. I rolled my eyes before grabbing his tie and pulling it forcefully.  Kris started coughing. "I'm sorry... Ji ... Eun ah... Stop..." I let his tie go and shook my head. Kris never learned. Chen, Tao, Chan Yeol, Su Ho, Lu han and Se Hun mocked him for being defeated so easily.

"We definitely need you in our team", Chen clapped my back.

"Not funny", Kris coughed.

"Come on", Su Ho grabbed Kris. "Bye!" We waved goodbye and watched them leave the cafeteria.

"I have to go too", Chen said. "Class started a while ago." He ran out of the lunch room.

"We should go too", Se Hun said. I followed the group out while I was lost in my thoughts.

"So what was that about?" Tao asked. I looked at him, confused. "I mean the eye thing with Kai."

"Oh", I recalled the moment. "I have no idea."

"I didn’t expect him to sit with us considering what’s happened", Tao said. "It must have taken him a lot of courage."

"I know", I said. "He was really embarrassed."

"He didn't look that embarrassed", Tao looked at me.

"That's because you didn't look close enough to see", I said. "There's more to him you know."

"I bet there is", Tao smiled.

 

 

Later

I arrived home at around 9 pm after a long day at school where I had been studying overtime. Yes, believe it or not, I was taking senior year very seriously.

"Why are you so late?”, Mrs. Kim had a wrinkled frown that looked misplaced on her beautiful face.

"I was studying", I explained.

"Really?" She asked while hastily putting on a pair of red heels. "I'm glad you are working hard."

"Is everyone home?" I asked.

"We are the only ones left”, she said. “The boys went to the movies, but I don't know if Kai went out." I looked towards the stairs trying to get hints of Kai being home or not. "I left food for you."

"Are you heading out?" I asked.

"It’s a girl's night", Mrs. Kim winked.

"Have a wonderful time with your friends", I said before heading upstairs. 

 

 

 

I was going to my room but decided to take a quick look into the second room of the second floor. I knocked and opened the door however, to my disappointment, the room was empty. Kai must have gone out since he liked to do that a lot nowadays. 

With both my shoulders and head down, I entered my room and threw my backpack on the floor. The next thing that went on the floor was my skirt and later my socks were followed by my blazer and tie. I ed my white blouse and noticed the open window. My eyebrows furrowed closely. I clearly remembered closing the window when leaving this morning. Or didn’t I?

While still debating on the matter, I heard a yawn behind and swiveled around. I grasped two arms, but it was hard to be certain whether what I saw were really arms in the darkly lit room. Just then, I saw a pair of eyes and a scream prepared to escape my lips, but I was stopped by a pair of hands blocking my mouth.

"Take it easy", a voice I knew very well said. "It's me." I felt my heartbeat slow-down from relief.

"You scared me", I said. "What are you doing here in my room and on my bed?"

"It's a long story", he said.

"I have plenty of time", I faced him.

"I was looking for a place to hide-out from Min Ho and our dad’s", he explained. "I didn't want to go to the movies."

"Oh", I slightly nodded. "Okay. Well your mom just left so you can go to your room."

"Why are you so eager to get rid of me?" He asked. I saw his lips part, revealing his white teeth and I knew he was wearing one of his evil smirks.

"I'm not”, I said. “I just t..." Kai took a step towards me. 

The second step he took closed the distance between us and me being me, I stepped back. I was too overcome by him, but Kai continued to advance and I ended up on my back on the bed. Kai took the opportunity to bend down on top of me with his arms giving him support. He studied my face and then his eyes lingered on my lips before slowly going upwards my eyes.

 I felt the warmth flow through my body and the heat coming from him was much more than I could handle. This is not good! Not good at all!  Wait, what was I thinking? Of course this was good! Kai was going to kiss me! Isn't that what I wanted? Expectedly, Kai continued to close in the distance between us.

"Kai", my voice barely came out.

"Yes?" His breath tingled on my lips. I bit my lower lip anticipating his next action but he simply continued to look at me.

"Are you going to kiss me or are you going to keep staring until you get bored?"

“I don't think I'll ever get bored of your face", he said making me flutter inside. "It's not the prettiest, but it has an attraction of his own that beats everyone else's."

"Thank you", I said proudly. "Thank you for the lovely compliment. It means a lot coming from you."

Kai smiled. A bright smile unlike any I had seen before. It even beat the ones he gave Su Ho earlier today.

"You know", I said, "I was jealous when you kept giving your hyung smiles."

"Were you?" He asked. "Why?"

"Because it takes a lot of effort to put a smile on your face", I said. "And it makes me jealous when you do it in front of others. I prefer your smile to be for my eyes only." Kai laughed. "What?"

"Nothing", he said. "It's just you don’t seem the jealous type but it’s the second time now you’ve acted on jealousy.”

"Well now you know", I said.

"Now I do", he said.

"About lunch today", I said. "Thank you. I know it must have been hard sitting with my friends."

"It was fine", he said. But I saw a twitch in his eyes and smiled.

"You were embarrassed", I recalled.

"No I wasn't", he avoided my eyes. "Why would I be? I'm Kim Jong In remember?  I don't get embarrassed."

"Don't pull that I'm Kim Jong In stunt with me", I said. "It doesn't work and besides, your eyes always betray you. Everything you feel is portrayed right in your ey..."

Kai cut me off by crashing his lips to mine. I felt his kiss intensely, too intensely inside my body. It tingled all the way down to my toes while our lips moved according to each other. I grabbed the front of his shirt pulling him down on top of me and his left hand roamed on my bare waist as his right hand gently held my nape. My heart couldn't stop hammering irregularly as Kai's soft lips were an art against mine.

He didn't move too quickly nor too slowly, but he kissed me in the most passionate way and I loved that about him. I loved how passionate and fiery he was in his kisses. It made me feel so wanted and needed in ways I myself couldn't understand.

My mouth opened as my lips slowly parted and I felt his tongue immediately roam inside, inspecting every inch of my mouth while his fingers felt like feathers on my skin. Yes, that's how soft his hands were.

One way or another, the two of us pulled away accordingly to catch our breaths. I was panting and so was he. I leaned forward and planted another kiss on his lips. Kai was definitely surprised, but his lips relaxed and I pushed him down in the bed. I made sure every movement, touch and kiss was enjoyed and somewhere along the way, Kai moaned. I almost stopped for a second there but I continued and another one came. This time though, Kai ended the kiss abruptly making me wonder if I had done something bad.

“Sorry”, he sounded hoarse. “It’s just that I think we should take things slow especially when we’re alone in the house. Maybe we shouldn’t make a habit of this.” Ever since we had gotten together, Kai and I had done it maybe a dozen times which was not enough but I did understand him.

“You’re right”, I agreed.

”You know,” he kissed me. ”This is kind of new to me." He nervously cleared his voice. "I don't date that much if you hadn't noticed."

"Neither do I", I said.

"But at least you had guys who did like you", he said.

"And you had girls who did like you", I said knowing where the conversation was headed. "Like the entire school and Krystal." Oh no! Why did I say that? That wasn’t supposed to leave my lips.

"Krystal?" Kai looked perplexed. "Why mention someone I haven't seen in a while?"

"Well you love her", I said matter-of-factly. Kai opened his mouth to speak but no words came out.

"And to think you were yelling at me because of Chen, Lu Han and Tao", I hopped off of him, “when two of them were only my friends at the time.”

"Wait", Kai looked at me with the same perplexed expression. "I can explain."

"Go ahead", I said. I waited for him to speak but then I realised I didn’t really want to listen to him. At all!

"It's true that I never really got over her", He admitted, "but..."

"Out!" I walked to the door and opened it for him.

"Ji Eun", he called but I wasn't going to listen to him. I didn't feel like it. "Okay. I'll step out, but listen to me." 

He stepped out of the room and opened his mouth to speak but I closed the door. Yes, I was maybe overreacting a tad bit but it felt good to be able to behave exactly like he behaved to me because of something I couldn't control. The guy made me feel miserable when he was in fact holding someone dear inside.

"Now you know how I felt", I yelled at him before jumping on my bed. The sheets smelled like him. !