Yang Hyunsuk

COLOR
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[YG]

 

Twenty-four Years Ago:

 

Before getting into bed, i saw my mom enter that room again. She's been frequenting that room ever since that man in black came twelve years ago. I was still a five year old boy back then but i knew he brought some bad news with him since Mom couldn't stop crying that night after that man had left.

 

I began to wonder what was inside that forbidden room so I started sneaking inside everytime opportunity presented itself. I stole my Mom's keys and made a copy for me to use leisurely. There, i found something fascinating and troubling at the same time.

 

At first, i couldn't understand what were those notes and books were lying around for but as time passed by, i finally began to understand those little scribbles and drawings. When i turned twelve that i finally discovered the existence of COLOR.

 

Five years have passed since then and i became a seventeen teenage boy. As i aged, i became more obsessed about finding out what the WHEEL stands for. Where did it come from? What's its purpose in human life?

 

Ding dong!

 

I turn towards the direction of our main foyer. I look up and see the time on our giant wall clock. It's already passed eleven. Who would come this late at night? I head and open the door only to be greeted by the very same man who visited my Mom that night twelve years ago with an excited looking boy standing just right beside him.

 

"Good evening." The man greets, tipping his head slightly.

 

I raise an eyebrow, opening the door wider. "And who might you be?"

 

"Is this the one you were talking about?" The boy standing beside the man asks. "Inna's boy?"

 

I frown. Why does he talk that way? As if they're just friends who are in the same age.

 

"Yeah." The man replies. "He grew up so well."

 

My eyebrow twitches. "Excuse me but—"

 

"Hyunsuk?" Mom appears, cutting me off. "Who is it?"

 

Mom approaches and when she sees our two visitors, her eyes widen. She clamps with her hands and chokes on her sobs.

 

"Mom?" I ask worriedly. "Are you alright?" I turn to the guests and glare. "Who are you? Why is my Mom crying?"

 

"Hyunsuk, it's alright." Mom pulls me. "I know them."

 

The guests frown before looking at each other. They seem confused. The man starts to talk.

 

"Inna-ah, don't tell me you already have an idea who this kid is." The man says, gesturing to the boy standing beside him.

 

Mom smiles while wiping her tears away. She looks at the boy. "It's so nice to see you again sunbae."

 

Sunbae? Why would this kid be a sunbae to my Mom? It's clear my Mom's older than him.

 

The boy widens his eyes. "You knew?"

 

Mom nods. "I've always known you'll come back but—" Mom eyes the boy carefully. "I didn't expect you to be this—" Mom pauses. "Young."

 

"Well, that makes the two of us." The man laughs.

 

Mom also laughs before making way for the two guests. "Come in come in. Hyunsuk-ah, bring our guests some tea."

 

I awkwardly leave and head for the kitchen. I keep looking back at the two strangers sitting inside our living room, eyeing and studying them carefully. Just who the hell are they? Just then, i remember the names of the two men who worked side by side with my Mom.

 

"Hey."

 

I jump, looking behind me. It's the boy who came with the man earlier. I clear my throat, straightening myself.

 

"Sorry. Did i startle you?" The boy smiles sheepishly.

 

"Yah." I scoff. "You're supposed to address me as hyung. Didn't your parents teach you that?"

 

"Ah, sorry." The boy scratches his head. "I keep forgetting that i'm a little boy right now."

 

I frown. "What do you mean?"

 

"Well, let's just say i go by the name of Kim Doyeong now." The boy who calls himself Doyeong winks.

 

"You're a weird kid." I shake my head.

 

"And you're a smart kid." Doyeong replies. "Just like your mother."

 

"Yah, that's hyung for you." I reprimand. "Anyway, who are you guys? And who's that man? Is he your dad? What's your relationship with my Mom?"

 

"For a seventeen year old boy, you seem to be rather curious." Doyeong raises an eyebrow. "I think you already have an idea of who we are."

 

I pause. This kid is good. He's sharp and i think he already knows about me sneaking inside my Mom's study area. I gulp.

 

"How did you know?" I ask. "About me, sneaking inside my Mom's study room?"

 

Doyeong only smiles. "I'm just like you back when i was your age."

 

What? What the hell's this boy's talking about? He can't be more than twelve right? But the way he's talking, he sounds like an old man.

 

"You're brilliant and your thirst for knowledge is unparalleled." Doyeong continues. "But seeking too much knowledge can't be good. Remember, knowledge is power. The more power you'll have, the greedier you'll be. And if i remembered correctly, nothing good comes out from greed."

 

I start biting my bottom lip. Is this kid trying to warn me?

 

"Hyunsuk-ah. Whatever it is you're trying to do, i want you to stop." Doyeong stares at me. "Stop it while you still can."

 

 

Present:

 

I suddenly wake up from my dream when i hear a knock coming from the door. I didn't realize i've

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter