The Silver King

COLOR
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[GD]

I stare at the ceiling above us. Its white color reminding me that we're currently at the hospital. The person lying next me shifts, moving a bit to accomodate her petite body to mine.

"Do you want me to get off the bed?" I ask, sensing her discomfort. "This hospital bed is too small for the both of us."

"No." Dara shakes her head in protest. "I like your warmth."

I smile before pulling Dara closer towards me, hugging her. "I'm going to leave in a bit."

I feel Dara frowing on my chest. "Again?"

Dara has a rare sickness, forcing her to be admitted at a hospital for too long. This is practically her home now.

"Tell me the truth, Kwon Jiyong." Dara looks up to meet my gaze. "Are you cheating on your girlfriend?"

I laugh. "What? What makes you think that?" I lean down and give her a passionate kiss on her plump lips. "My heart only belongs to you and no one else's."

That makes her smile. Dara's face flushes red and that's only making her look more adorable but it suddenly turns into a frown.

"What's wrong?" I ask worriedly.

"Sometimes i can't help but wonder what it'll be like for you to have a normal girlfriend."

"Dara-ah—"

Dara reaches out to cover my mouth. "I know. You love me and i do too that's why you can't stop me from thinking about your own happiness."

I raise my hand to touch hers and try to remove it from my mouth. "And you, Dara is my happiness."

"And when i'm gone?" Dara asks, catching me off guard.

I grimace. I pull her hand towards my lips and kiss it. "I won't let that happen."

"But—"

"Shh." I pull her closer towards me. "Now, go back to sleep. I'll stay with you until you fall to sleep."

"Jiyong-ah." Dara whispers my name."

"Hmm?"

"Promise me something." Dara squirms under my arms, looking up to meet my eyes.

"What is it?" I ask, tilting my head on the other side.

"Whatever it is you're trying to accomplish for my sake, don't let it destroy your soul."

My soul huh? I just laugh to myself. I already sold my soul a long time ago the day i discovered Dara is sick.

You see, Dara and I are orphans. We grew up together in an orphanage and that place was also where we met the other members of my team. One night, we decided to escape and were successful in doing so. Once outside, we experienced the harsh reality of living in the city at such a young age. We tried to make a living in order to survive but that was when Dara's symptoms started to appear. We brought her to a hospital and discovered that he has a very rare sickness. The Head, Yang Hyunsuk who was coincidentally at that very same hospital offered us some help and i took it, feeling desperate. That's why i can't leave the Head's side. He saved not only me but also Dara.

After some time, I can finally feel Dara's steady breathing, indicating that she has already fallen into sleep. I carefully move Dara's hand which is on my chest and get out of bed. I reach out to get my jacket uniform which is hanging on a chair and wear it. I look back to check on Dara one last time before getting out of the hospital room.

"Done cuddling already?" Taeyang smirks.

"Shut up." I smile.

Taeyang laughs but soon replaces it with a frown. "Are we really doing this?"

My smile vanishes. "We don't have a choice."

"Yes, we do."

I glare towards Taeyang who immediately looks away. "Dara is dead as soon as we betray the Head."

"But Dara doesn't want you to do this." Taeyang grimaces.

"I don't care about me." I say. "I care about her, especially her well-being."

Taeyang meets my gaze. He finally resigns. "Fine. Don't worry, whatever you do, we'll follow right behind you."

•••••

[Jisoo]

Dawn is coming and both Bobby and i are on our way now to the city library.

"Wait here." Bobby tells me. "I'll give you a signal once it's safe to enter."

I nod. Bobby smiles, showing me his bunny teeth. He starts to sneak his way inside the building while i wait outside. A few moments later i hear a peircing whistle.

That must be Bobby!

I hurriedly enter the library and find some bodies sprawled on the floor and Bobby happens to sit on one of those.

"Piece of cake." He says, standing up

I laugh, shaking my head. "Yah, you need to hide those bodies or we'll get caught."

"You're right." Bobby moves, picking up a random foot and starts to drag the man who owns it. "You go on ahead. I'll stand watch."

"Okay."

So I begin my search, starting in the History section, checking on every books that may help me with my question. An hour passed and the only book i found is about the first Gold King. Lee Jongsuk's name came up but he was only described as one of the scientists who took charge in the experiment and nothing more.

"Hey Jisoo, over here." Bobby calls my attention.

"What is it?"

"I found a door and it's lock." Bobby gives me a meaningful smile. "What do you think is inside it?"

I look up and see the word 'Restricted Section' on top of the door. This must be where they're keeping the important books.

"I need to get inside." I say.

"Thought you'd never ask." Bobby fires up his COLOR.

Bobby reaches out to grab the door's handle. I can feel the heat radiating off of him. It took him exclactly ten seconds to melt the handle.

"Open sesame." Bobby pushes the door wider for me. "Go ahead princess."

I roll my eyes at him before proceeding inside. I descend the stairs leading to the dark room. The room itself is small, causing me to stumble on some boxes lying around.

"I'll wait for you outside." Bobby whisper-shouts.

I look down and see some old newspapers that have been spilled from the box that i accidentally kicked earlier. I get to my knees and start picking them up when a certain article catches my attention. It's an obituary for a man named Lee Jongsuk.

Lee Jongsuk? My eyes suddenly widen in realization. Isn't that the name of the Silver King? I spread it and read the contents.

September 14, 1950 - April 8, 1982, Lee Jongsuk lived a fulfilling life as a son, a colleague and a friend.

Lee Jongsuk was a devoted scientist and a respectable superior. He will be deeply missed by his family, friends and all those who knew him.

In keeping with his nature, funeral services are private and for immediate family only. Those wishing to honor his life can make a donation in his name to Lee Soohyuk.

There it is. The First Gold King's name. So it must be true, then. There's no doubt, Lee Jongsuk is the Silver King or should i say was? Well, this obituary only p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter