Chapter 22

What Does Her Heart Say?

“Turn left after this” Yongsun said.

They decide to have their late lunch at Yongsun’s favourite restaurant. They decide to take a few days off from work, well it was Byul’s that decide and Yongsun have no reason to disagree. Of course she would never reject the idea of spending her times with her girlfriend. Before that she made a call to her brother, oh boy her brother was totally freaked out by the idea of her wanting to stay with Byul at her apartment. But he finally gave in after an hour of begging him on the phone. Later she called Wheein and Hyejin to tell them that she was fine. She was right the girls were dead worried, she told them everything that happen to her when Byul gave her the nod of approval as she was there when she made all the calls.

“We are here!” she chirped, and stepped out of the car.

Byul’s majestic blue McLaren 570S car stopped outside a small restaurant making a few passer by stopped to stare. Byul got out of the car attracting surreptitious looks from the passer by especially the girls. She pouted and went to grab on Byul’s arm and cling on to it happily, dragging her along into the restaurant. “Yes I know she’s hot but she’s mine” she said to herself as she looked around, glaring everyone that been drooling over Byul.

“Yongsun-ah, you're here” An old lady greeted her from the table counter.

“Yes, halmoni” she bowed to her then she dragged Byul to the empty table near the window.

The old lady wipes her hands with her apron before she approached them at the table “Omo, who is this beautiful lady?” she smiled at Byul.

Byul’s looked up and bow her head she was blushing “My name is Moon Byul Yi” she smiled back. Yongsun chuckled as she looked at her reddening face.

“Halmoni, I've really, really, missed your cooking. Ever since I was too busy with my work to stop by, I've been craving for your mouth watering dishes” Yongsun making a pouting face.

“Just my cooking?” she laughed.

“Halmoni…of course you too”

She shakes her head and smile gently “Like usual?” she asked.

“Yes, please” she chirped with a smile.

They continued making pleasant small talk while waiting, at times even giggling together. A moment later a heavy and sizable serving dish arrived, hot and smelling of promise. The old lady stood proudly by the table as Yongsun served out the first scoops of tteokbokki into Byul’s small plate. She then excused herself leaving them to enjoy their dish.

“What? This is so good!” Byul could barely speak clearly before finishing another bite.

“I know right, it’s the best tteokbokki ever” she was happy that she was enjoying this, extremely happy.

After the meal, later that evening they were walking alongside the Han’s River, they were holding hands in silent. They did not really feel the need to talk, to be in the same space was enough for them. They were in no hurry to fill the space with words. Enjoying being around each other like this. Enjoying the beautiful view and breathed in the river's serenity and calming breezes, letting its intoxicating magic overtake them.

They continue to walk when suddenly Byul’s cell phone began to ring. “Yeah oppa?” “W-what?” “Okay” then she end the call

“What’s wrong, Byul-ah?” she asked. She could see her eyes open wide. She could see her worrying face and she knew something had happened.

“My father. He's in the ICU now” she held both of Yongsun’s hands and bring them to her lips, gently kissing them. “Will you come with me?” she asked as gaze into her eyes.

“Yes, Byul. You know I’m always by your side” Yongsun’s eyes somehow are getting misty, cupping Byul’s face in her hands she gently kissed her lips, then sliding her arms around her neck. Byul pulled her closer, hugging her tightly against her, she could feel her eyes were misty too. She whispered a heartfelt “Thank you”.

When they arrived at the hospital, they rushed to the ICU room. They spotted Minhyuk was sitting on chair. His eyes were cast downward, blankly staring at the floor “It’s been three hours, he’s been in there. Sorry for not calling you earlier, I thought he was gonna be fine after the surgery like usual, you know. But then a doctor came by earlier saying it would be our last chance to see him” he said when he feels a hand that was griping on his shoulder belong to his little sister. He held his arm up to wrap it around her neck, placing his head on hers.

Byul couldn’t say a word. She couldn’t tell how she feel right now. She was sad, angry and maybe a little bit of relief? Does she really want her father to leave that much? It’s true she always hate him but is it wrong for her to think it’s okay if he’s gone? But somewhere deep inside her saying she doesn’t want him to go yet. They still need him? She’s confused.

Watching Byul and her brother in that condition somehow making her sad, she wish she could cheer them up but she know there is nothing she could do right now. The blank look on Byul’s face worried her.

“Thank you for coming with Byul, Yongsun-ssi” he said when he noticed he present. “Come and sit here with us”

They sat there silent for an hour when a moment later, his father’s lawyer, also his loyal friend showed up, Minhyuk got up immediately. “Jang Hyuk-ssi?”

“Minhyuk-ah” he held his hand for handshake, he turned to bow his head to Byul and Yongsun. “Your father called me to come here” he explained. Before there could ask him more question the ICU room’s door open. A doctor come out from the room and walked to them.

“Please come with me to the room” the doctor said.

“Let’s go” Jang Hyuk said as he walked into the room.

Minhyuk sighed before he heads into the room. Byul turned to face Yongsun, holding her hand “Go in Byul-ah. I’ll wait here” Yongsun squeezed her hand tighter, then let go. Byul turned around to walk away when the doctor asked her a question.

“Which one of you is Kim Yongsun?” the doctor asked

“It’s me” Yongsun answered.

“Oh then it’s mean you are Moon Byul Yi. Moon Hyo Jin-ssi need Kim Yongsun-ssi to be in the room too” the doctor said to Byul. Byul turned to see a now confused Yongsun. she said as she held her hand up for her. Yongsun hesitatingly grab her hand and walked together into the room.

When they were inside, her emotions welled up inside her, she watched as her father lay there in the hospital bed, breathing slowly. His face was pale, his eyes sunken and glassy, so weak he needed an oxygen line to help him breathe. She had never seen him like this, the man she know, a man that had a stern look on his face, much the way he always did. A man with eyes were cold, a man born to command, a man who could be utterly ruthless. She tightened her grips on Yongsun's hand, making Yongsun turned to face her. She glanced back at the man on the bed, she rubbed her thumb across her skin hoping to calm her a little. They walked closer to bed. Nobody say a word more like no one know what to say.

 “I know…I wasn't a good father…” Hyo Jin said as he breathe slowly, in and out through the oxygen tubes in his nostrils.

“You mother…she was…my life…” he said as tears running down his face.

“Losing her…pain me…so much…”

“Minhyuk-ah…I’m sorry…” upon hearing the words from his father, Minhyuk dropped down on his knees, dropped his head, softly sobbing.

“Please take care…of your sister…you are always…a reliable brother…ha…your favourite colour is…black and white…your favourite food is…baeksook? You are right if…if only she…she was still alive…things would be different…”

“Byul-ah…will you forgive me…for being such a jerk?” he turned his head to her

“Byul-ah… I know I've wronged…you in the most hurtful way…I’ve blame you for…the things that you didn't do…I’ve never thank you for…the things you've done… I was so wrong…I’m so ashamed of myself…I’ve felt so sick of myself…I’m sorry…so…sorry…my daughter”

Byul didn’t say a word. She stands there, looking at him blankly. Inwardly, she's still pissed off, still a little annoyed, but mostly she was so touched with her father’s confession. She can see the honesty in his eyes. She feels the urged to cry looking at him begging for her forgiveness, but she refusing to show him any of that.

“Kim Yongsun-ssi…I know I don’t deserve…your forgiveness…I’m sorry…please forgive me…please take care of my daughter…”

Yongsun could only nodded and gently smiled at him “I’ve forgive you” she said, tears already running down her face as she watched Minhyuk was sobbing on the floor. It was always so sad to see others people crying.

“I’m sorry” he kept on saying the words until it became a whisper, his eyes drifted closed, then he stopped breathing, and then the time of death was called by the only doctor in the room.

Abruptly Yongsun turned to face her, she cupped her face in her hands and turned her to look at her “Byul?” she called, Byul's eyes were starting to get teary. Byul’s tears finally escaped, dripping with ease down her cheeks, her lips were trembling, sobbing. Yongsun pulled her into a hugs, rubbed her back. Right now she need to let her cry. Its break her heart to see Byul like this but this is the only way to let go the burden inside of her all this time.

A few months have passed since that heart breaking day. Minhyuk, went back to Japan. Apparently he owned a few luxuries hotels in Japan. He also refused to accept the share which had been left to him of their father's wealth, stated in his will, except for their mansion. He wanted a place to stay where he can call home when he returned to Seoul once in a while, that’s what he told Byul went she asked her the reason to keep the mansion, since Byul was planning to sell it. He let Byul handle all their father’s business, keep being the president, still he promised to help her if she need him. Byul was hesitate at first, thinking that the President title was supposed to be his but after much of thought and persuasion from him, she finally agree.

Right now in the middle of the night, in Byul’s apartment, in the living room, Byul and Yongsun were cuddling on the sofa watching one of Yongsun many favourite scary movies, Grave Encounter. So lying here with in Byul’s arms just watching TV was actually rather nice. Yongsun thought. Yongsun's head rested on her chest, listening to her heartbeat somehow calming her, and she was warm and soft.

Byul lowered her lips to Yongsun’s hair and kissed it lightly, then lay back to watch the movie. She picked up her left hand and twisted the ring on her finger, their couple ring, Byul have a matching ring on her left hand’s finger. She proposed her a month ago, by the Han River. She was on her knee with a ring, Yongsun was so happy that she jumped on her, both landed on the sand laughing as Yongsun cheered countless times the word “Yes”

Two weeks later they held their private wedding by the beautiful beach. It was a beautiful fall evening, with a cool breeze blowing through the trees. The white light from the candles around the wedding chapel were twinkling. There was a beautiful full moon visible behind the beautiful white wedding chapel in the background. But what caught Byul’s attention the most was how beautiful Yongsun look in her wedding dress. She can’t help but to smile as she watched her slowly walked in hand with her father to the wedding chapel. She can’t takes her eyes of her warm smiling face. As they finally stand face to face, Byul held her hands and keep her gaze into her loving eyes. She said the two words “I do”, she said in her low loving tone, enough for both of them and the priest to hear, she almost cried in happiness.

“Byul” Yongsun called waking her from her thought.

Yongsun lifted her head now looking directly at Byul. “I’ve meaning to ask you this but I was always forgot to but what happen to Yoon Do-ssi?” she asked

“Ah about that…” Byul nervously tried to answer

Somewhere deep in the jungle, there was rustled with the sound of a man passing through, he’s been running around like mad man for a month now trying to figures his way out from the jungle, a month ago he woke up in the middle of the jungle inside a big wooden box alone. After he keep on trying he finally found his way out of the jungle off to the big road. He tried to stop a passing car but none seem to stop for him. After a few hours of walking along the road finally a car stopped. He looked inside the car and he frowned. A Foreigner?

“Can you get me back to Seoul?” he asked him in english.

“Ich weiß nicht, was du sagst” he said to him.

“Huh? What language is that?” he asked.

“Where am I? I’m not in Korea?”

  

THE END.