Chapter 13

What Does Her Heart Say?

Slowly, Yongsun let go of Byul shirt and dropped her hands to her sides, Byul did the same. Yongsun took a step back, looking down. She couldn’t bring herself to look at Byul right now, she was too nervous.

“Be my girlfriend” Byul suddenly said as she held out her hand to hold Yongsun’s hand.

Upon hearing Byul proposal Yongsun gaped at her, like a dying fish, closing her lips, opening them as if she was gasping for her last breath, not knowing what to say. She can’t gathered what just happen. Seeing Yongsun was hesitating, Byul took a breath and let it out slowly as she let go of her hand. She put her hands into her pocket and turn around.

“I understand” Byul said as she sit in front of her laptop.

“P-president-nim, I…”

“Go home Yongsun-ssi. It’s getting late” she cuts her off as she start typing.

Yongsun glanced at the clock on the wall, it’s already eight at night, she was right it was getting pretty late.

“A-aren’t you going home too?”

“I will Iater” Byul simply answer without looking at her.

Feeling awkward, she bit her lower lip. She can tell Byul was disappoint with her, although her expression was bland. She hesitatingly turned around and walked out of the room.

That night Yongsun been sleeping fitfully. She can’t even closed her eyes and she'd have to shift position again. She can’t stop thinking about Byul. She feels like an idiot. She was panicking, for the first time in her life a woman has expressed an interest in her, has kissed her passionately which she dared to return the kiss, asked her to be her girlfriend and all she could do was make a fool of herself, stared blankly. It was not like she didn’t know about lesbians, she just don’t know how to react. She sighed in defeated.

Byul was leaning against the railing, looking out at the tall buildings from the balcony. There was a slight breeze tousling her dark blue hair, and she looked at peace. She took a deep breath, let it out. Then looked up in dark sky.

“What’s up with you? You look like an idiot trying to look cool for nobody” a man walked into the balcony passed her a bottle of Budweiser.

“Shut up” she said as she snatched the bottle way and take a gulped.

“You little . You dare to talk like that to your brother?” he lightly pushed her head.

She turns and glares at her brother, Moon Minhyuk. The brother that runs away five years ago. She still remembered last year when she received a text message from an unknown number, mentioning about her brother whereabouts. She was going to ignore the text at first as she thought it were just simply a prank since she had been trying to find her brother secretly herself, but her guts told her otherwise. So she flew all the way to France that day, to where they agreed to meet. And she would have never thought that text sender was actually Minhyuk, that day she reunited with her brother. For the second time in her life she bursts into tears, crying uncontrollably in her brother arms. The first was that one time when her brother left her. Later they sat down and talked about the reason her brother left them, he told her that he had fall in love with a girl, which he know well that their father would never have approved of her. So he ran away with her we planned to married her but unfortunately she was diagnosis of brain cancer, a year later she died. Her brother then bought an apartment in Japan so they can easily meet. They promised to keep it a secret of their meetings. From time to time she would come and visit her brother when she feel lonely, sad or depressed, a time like this.

 

“I know you to well for you to hide anything from me, Byul-ah. Spill it out already” he said before he gulped the beer.

 

“I-I’ve fell in love”

 

He was so surprised that he spit out a mouthful of beer. “Holy ! Byul!” he sputtered. “Since when? With who? Do I know him?” he keep on asking.

 

“It’s a woman” she sighed.

 

“A woman? She must be really hot to be able to capture your inhuman heart” he chuckled.

 

“You don’t find it’s weird?” she frowned. “Do I really looks that gay? First Jin now him” she thought to herself.

 

“Love is love. Love has no gender. It’s good to know my little sister has grown up” he wrapped his arm around her shoulder and messed with her hair. Byul groaned and struggled to push him away. They continued talking about Yongsun, she told him everything that she know about her, about how she fell in love with her, about how she would missed her if she was not around. She also told him about the proposal and how Yongsun seem hesitated to give an answer.

 

“Well at least she didn’t say no. So what’s the problem? Give her some times Byul-ah. Don’t worry much, no one can resisted my little sister charmed for too long” he clicked his tongue. She chuckled. The only person who know her to well, her stupid brother who willing to sacrificed all that he has for love. She wonders herself would she be able to do that? Will she be that strong? Like her brother.

 

The next morning come, Byul decided to take her brother advice and wait. She acted like nothing happened and focus on their project. As much as she love Yongsun, she keep in mind that she is a President of their company. The future of the company rest on her shoulder. For now her number one priority is to make sure the project is a great success. She knew well to meet a failure means she will have to be prepare to face her father. This project means a lot to him as much as Yongsun means a lot to her.

 

Yongsun on the other hand was struggling to stay calm, her heart was pounding every second. That morning she was a bit surprised to see her boss acted normal, as if yesterday was just a dream. Byul would sometime asked her about the progress of the work and that’s all. She couldn't lie to herself, she wish Byul would say something, anything about what happen between them, but nothing.  She couldn't train her mind away from thinking about her, it was impossible. Shivering, she took a deep breath and forced herself to stay calm.

 

For the next few days they stay like that. Yongsun would come in and Byul would already be there busying herself looking at the reports and sometimes she would be talking on the phone for hours, about works and when times come Byul would asked her to leaves first.

 

That morning Yongsun got up as usual and went straight to the bathroom to take a shower. Soon, she came out of the bathroom wearing a towel wrapped around her body. She sighed. Today is her last day here, she was so busy that she didn’t have time for much sightseeing, she look around the room, she barely touch the junk food as she was too tired by the time she got back to the hotel and decide to just went straight to bed after a bath, such a waste. She thought. She sighed again when suddenly her cell chimed at an incoming text. “That’s probably, oppa” she thought. She went to pick up her cell that was placed on the table next to her bed. She frowned at the unknown number.

 

“Wear something casual?” she reads the text.

 

“Who would it be?” she thought for a second before she finally realised who it is. A few second later another text come in.

 

“Fifteen minutes at the lobby”

 

She gasped and hurriedly searched her wardrobe for the casual outfit. She puts on a white t-shirt with pair of white shorts and a white sneakers, applying some light make up before she dashed out of the hotel room. She rushed out of the lift as soon as the door open. At the lobby she began looking around when finally she saw her, Byul was standing at the end, casually leaning against a wall and scrolling through her phone. It was the first time seeing her boss without her suit, but this style fit her too. She was wearing a black long-sleeved shirt with a knee length jeans with brown sandals and a black cap, bare-faced. She looked up from her phones when she notice her present. Yongsun open to talk.

 

“Alright let’s go” Byul said before she walked to the exit.

 

“W-wait, President-nim why are wearing casual clothes? Aren’t we supposed to meet Mr. Satomi today?” She need some explanation. They were supposed to meet Mr. Satomi today to brief about the progress of their project. Wearing casual clothes right now doesn’t make sense for her.

 

“Already meet Mr. Satomi last night” she said.

 

“Huh? What? How?” she asked. Without noticing she had followed her to the car that park outside. The Japanese guy, the driver that had been driving her to the company was already there waiting for them. He opened the car’s door as Byul approached him. She got into the car.

 

“Get in Yongsun-ssi”

 

Yongsun still not moving trying to figures out where Byul trying to take her. Byul sighed before she got out of the car, grabbed on her wrist and gently pulled her into the car. “Closed the door” she commend. The driver obeyed, he got in the car and drive off. Byul let go of her wrist, act like nothing happen she take out her phone from her pocket end began scrolling through her phone. Yongsun sighed as she is too fed up to care anymore. Being around Byul for a while she kind a notice Byul won’t take ‘no’ as answer and she really don’t like to talk much. Always command people around. Along the ride Byul was busy talking on her phones, while Yongsun was looking outside the window.

 

After a few moment later their car finally parked at the side of the street. Byul got out of the car, she hurriedly followed out of the car. She look around and finally realised they were outside a stadium. There were a lot of people outside the stadium. They were walking their way to the stadium entrance.  A huge sign at the side entrance read “Tokyo Dome”. She gasped, she knows well of how famous is Tokyo Dome, superstar like Michael Jackson had performed twenty one concerts here, Madonna performed seven times and of course her favourite singer Celine Dion have been here too. She quickly follows Byul from behind as she was already making her way to the entrance.

 

Once inside, she looked up at the stadium, amazed at its enormous size! She'd never been inside such a huge place, especially one filled with so many people! “Wow this place is so large!” she said. “And it’s so high tech!” her eyes shifted this way and that, trying to take in everything at once, but it was too much. They walked down the stairs to the first row where they take a seat.

 

“Wait here” Byul said before she got up and walked away. She looked around, more people start filling up the stadium as the times goes by. A moment later Byul come back with two cups of drink, a large bucket of popcorn and two hotdogs. Yongsun immediately got up from her seat to give her a hand. As they sat back on their seat, hesitantly Yongsun tugged on Byul sleeves, Byul looked over to her.

 

“Thank you” she thanked her, and a faint blush stole over her face. Byul smiled back before she said. “You are welcome”

 

Turns out today was a special event, a friendly match between New York Yankees and Los Angeles Dodgers. She has no idea who they are but Byul told her that they are legends. During the game she could almost feel the energy in the air, and the voice of the crowd…wow!

 

For lunch they went to the largest fish market in the world, Tsukiji Fish Market. It’s filled with restaurants, grab-and-go snack stands, and vendors of wares ranging from value-priced dishware to luxury-grade seaweed. They decide to just fill up their stomach by stopping by each of snack stands. Byul would just chuckled and smiled at how Yongsun would clapping excitedly as when she spotted something that amused her, the giant squid and many kind of fish she has never seen before. Yongsun bought a few souvenirs to bring home, with Byul money, since she won’t let her pay at all.

 

After that, Byul took her to the Hamarikyu Garden. They enjoy the walk at the undeniable beautiful garden, there was a variety of maple, ginko, cherry and peony trees everywhere. Enjoying the sounds of the birds chirping, sights and smells of this beautiful garden, while walking around side by side, it was so calming and refreshing. They also enjoy refreshment at a teahouse in Nakashima located in the middle of the pond in the garden that offers matcha, a specially grown and processed green tea leaves and Japanese sweets in a tea-ceremony style.

 

Later that night they finally settled down at Nihon Ryori Ryugin. One of the finest restaurant that served classic Japanese cuisine. Thus they eat their meal in solitude and in silence. She glanced over to Byul who slowly bring her chopsticks up toward . As long as she could remember, it was their second times having meal together. The first time was, the breakfast at her boss apartment. Where it’s all start. Where she start to have feelings for her boss. Where she start to know a different side of her boss. She bits her lower lips and look down to her plate before she looked up to Byul.

 

“Today, it was fun. Thank you. Really” Yongsun said.

 

“Glad you could enjoy yourself” Byul said.

 

They went back to being in silence. It’s funny. Yongsun thought. She always has something to talk about, She always has enough confidence in her conversations that people who knew her would carry along chit chat that could go from sports, to religion, to education, to personal stories all wrapped together somehow or someway. But with Byul she was so nervous, that her mind went blank, she feels as though she's forgotten everything she know. Her heart pounded and she felt ridiculous.

 

“Let’s go, it’s late” Byul said interrupted her thought.

 

They finally arrived at the hotel a few minutes later. The driver got out of the car and immediately open the door for Yongsun, she got out of the car. She frowned when she see Byul still remain in the car not giving any signed to come out of the car.

 

“Aren’t you coming too, President-nim?” she carefully asked.

 

“No. I be staying at a friend place” she answered.

 

“Ah… I see. Then goodnite, President-nim” she slightly smiled.

 

Byul nodded before signalling the driver to close the door. Yongsun watched as the car drove away. “That’s weird, I thought they say she have no friend other than the manager?” she muttered to herself. She sighed before she lazily turns around and walked inside the hotel.

 

Byul’s phone suddenly ringing, she frowned as she look at the caller name. “Oppa?” she answered.

 

“How was it? Did she like it? Come on tell me. Tell me.” Minhyuk excitedly asked.

 

“Yeah yeah she love it. Why can’t you just wait till I get back to ask?” Byul sound a little annoyed.

 

“W-what? Why are you on your way back? You mean you are not in her room?”

 

“No. Why?” Byul confusedly asked.

 

“Byul-ah…you pabo”