campfire

drabbles

“It say’s 15-20 seconds.”

“How is that enough? There’s the chocolate to melt too. And the cookie part has to get…hot?”

Byulyi shrugged, looking up from her computer screen.

She and Yongsun had wanted to go on a camping trip, in theory, but then they remembered the bugs and dirt and peeing in the woods and Yongsun made the executive decision to set up a blanket fort at home and pretend they were camping.

And camping, they learned from Eric, just wasn’t complete without s’mores. Actually, when he was explaining it, Hyejin pointed out he was just describing a Chocopie, which elated the girls, because what the hell was a graham cracker.

So here they were, two women in their mid-twenties huddled in front of the microwave, Chocopies ready for the heat. Byulyi closed the microwave, giving the front a good press to make sure their fire stayed burning.

Yes, like any good camping experience, there was a bright, lively fire. Yongsun had found the prettiest one from GoogleImages, printed it out, and stuck it on their microwave. They were really going for authenticity tonight.

“Well, I think they meant 1.5-2 minutes. Let’s see how this goes.” Yongsun said, confidently punching in the numbers. Byulyi merely nodded, having full faith in the older woman. She’d be the first to admit Yongsun was the better cook, she probably knew what she was doing.

After staring at the microwave for 15 seconds and not seeing the pie move at all, Byulyi deemed it safe and took Yongsun’s hand, leading her over to the tent of pillows and blankets in Yongsun’s living room.

“Hungry for something else, Byul-ah?” Yongsun teased.

The tips of Byulyi’s ears flushed red but she rolled her eyes. “Yes I am.” She pulled Yongsun’s guitar onto her lap. “Let’s sing together.”

Yongsun’s heart fluttered at Byulyi’s suggestion, glad that there was a pillow under her to collapse on to. It wasn’t often that Byul wanted to sing unprompted, but lately she’d been getting her confidence back and for Yongsun, it was all the benefits.

These days, now that Byulyi didn’t feel inadequate in singing anymore, they’d actually composed some songs together. By now they had enough material for their own mini-album, but like some unspoken agreement neither of them brought it up to the company. They wanted it to stay secret, stay special, just between them.

Byulyi was softly strumming a song they’d finished together a while back, her low voice and just enough huskiness in her tone. Yongsun just listened to her with a soft smile, before joining in at the bridge and the way their voices mixed together, Byulyi couldn’t help but smile too. Yongsun never wanted to harmonize with her seriously in front of other people. Looking into her eyes now, Byulyi could tell she just didn’t want this moment to be shared with anyone else, and Byulyi agreed.

The velvety sound that filled the room was so warm, maybe they should have just sung at the s’mo-

“THE S’MORES!” Byulyi scrambled up so fast she accidentally bonked the guitar into Yongsun’s shoulder.

“Ow!”

“Oh, oh no I’m so sorry Unnie.” She squat back down already leaning in to kiss the offended shoulder when Yongsun pushed her back ensuring her that she was okay.

“I’m alright, it didn’t actually hurt. Let’s get the pies.” Yongsun blushed.

When they opened the microwave, they both cringed and stepped back from the scene.

Byulyi took a chopstick and poked at the Chocopie that was melted into the plate, which in turn seemed to be melted to the base of the microwave. She tried to lift it off, to no avail.

“I thought you said these were microwave safe.”

Yongsun held up her hands with a wry smile. “Guess they’re not campfire safe.