sleepover

drabbles

“Yongsun-unnie, can I come over?” It’s earlier in the evening for once, and they’re packing up after practice. Or, Yongsun is. Byulyi’s things are still scattered around the studio.

She bites her lip looking at Byulyi’s appeasing smile. “Why?”

“I want to spend time with you.” Byulyi states simply. Yongsun can’t stand how sincere she is, so she starts digging around in her purse to avoid eye contact. 

“We were together all day…” She doesn’t know why she’s making up excuses, trying to delay the inevitable. She finds what she’s looking for in her purse and her hands squeeze around it.

Byulyi hugs her from behind and makes a sound like she’s actually contemplating her words. “Then…is that a no?” She asks playfully.

Yongsun pouts at how easy it is for this girl to read her. Why did she say Yongsun played hard to get when she could clearly see right through her? 

But she didn’t know about the object in Yongsun’s hand, it’s shape imprinting into her palm with how tight she held it. 

“Why do you even ask anymore?” Yongsun sighs, letting out some nerves.

Byulyi grins but there’s a certain bashfulness in her smile. “Well I can’t just come over whenever I want, can I?” Byulyi expects to be met with a hard “you can’t” in the voice of King Unnie.

Instead, a weird pause comes between them and Yongsun’s biting her lip again. Byulyi let’s her go easily when Yongsun tries to turn around in her arms.

“You can.” She murmurs. Byulyi finally notices how her hand’s been resting in her purse for a while now.

“I what?”

Yongsun finally pulls her hand out of the bag and opens her palm, revealing a key with little star patterns printed on it. She nudges Byulyi with it and says more clearly, “Whenever you want,” she looks in Byulyi’s eyes, “you can come over.” 

There’s a slight waver in her voice that Byulyi doesn’t miss, despite her hearing suddenly deafened by the sound of her own heartbeat. Yongsun takes her hand and lays the key on her palm. It’s surprisingly light for the weight of what it means. 

Yongsun backs away and gathers her things in a flurry, saying a rushed “don’t lose it” before making a beeline for the door. She too embarrassed and elated to face Byulyi right now, let alone travel home with her. Just as she’s at the door, Byulyi calls out to her.

“Unnie!” She’s still a bit stunned, but she needs more closure than Yongsun’s vague invitation. “So, um, I’ll see you tonight?” 

Byulyi’s in the same position she left her in, holding the key like a jewel and it makes Yongsun want to smile at how cute she looks.

“Byul-ah,” A pretty pink dusts her cheeks, “you don’t have to ask.”