book

drabbles

Yongsun’s always wanted her life to be like a book. So far, she thinks, things have been on track.

A not really noteworthy childhood, her big climatic moment when she risked it all for her dream, add a dash of her parents’ disapproval turning into heartfelt support, and now, maybe she’s reached the ending.

The happy ending. Everything’s smooth sailing from now on. Not that she doesn’t have to work hard to keep it that way, but there’s a certain surety in her now, like things are good and that’s okay.

Except for one thing.

Yongsun had Eric Nam pulled right from an archetype. A prince in any way and their meeting was clichés piled on clichés. It’s sweet and romantic, the exact kind of thing that made her heart flutter in stories.

Despite how hard she tried, Yongsun just thought it was a little boring. Her heart beat depressingly slow.

Yongsun’s exception exists in the form of Moon Byulyi. She doesn’t know where Byulyi fits in her story, because her presence is overwhelming. She makes Yongsun feel enough for her to insert her into every chapter, even her childhood ones. Byulyi enters Yongsun’s life like any part of her story wouldn’t be complete unless she was mentioned. She turns the book from an introspective journey to the reunion of two halves of the same soul.

They’re sitting listlessly in a waiting room when Byulyi shifts over to her side of the couch and she’s got that gross grin on her face again. It makes Yongsun’s heart want to jump out of her ribcage.

“Yongsun-unnie.” Byulyi grabs both her hands and Yongsun braces herself for the worst, but nothing could have prepared her for the next words to come out of Byulyi’s mouth.

“Unnie, if you’re a book, I hope this is right now is the chapter where the characters fall in love.”

Outwardly, she screams and giggles and pushes Byulyi away.

Inwardly, Yongsun thinks,

If I was a book, it would just be an autobiography of my love for you.