fireworks

drabbles

“We should get the one with more sparklers.” Yongsun suggests, holding up two different packages.

“The bigger ones are more fun though.” Byulyi takes one of the firework kits that Yongsun is holding and tries to count it contents.

Yongsun purses her lips and her eyebrows bunch up, the face she makes when she’s trying to think of how to tell her no. Byulyi loves how she’s considerate like that.

But in the end, Yongsun is Yongsun and she’s blunt about things.

“Wheein likes sparklers.”

It’s true. Wheein liked the show of the bigger fireworks, but she loved being able to dance and run around with sparks coming off her hands, like a magician, or a superhero.

Byulyi lowers the package in her hand to see Yongsun thinking fondly of their younger member, and she feels something kind of weird well up inside her.

She takes Yongsun’s empty hand in hers and says, “Marry me.”

Yongsun jerks her hand out of Byulyi’s grasp and goes directly for a punch to the arm. “What are you doing being greasy out of nowhere!”

Byulyi grins at her extreme reaction and tries to duck the punches, to no avail. “You just looked so beautiful!” She tries, but that just increases the punches.

At last she blocks enough of Yongsun’s hits and they both calm down a bit, but Yongsun is refusing to look at her. Byulyi makes another attempt to hold her hand, and is pleasantly surprised when it doesn’t slip from her grasp.

“You looked so lovely thinking of Wheein just now.” She explained. “It just made me think you’d be a really great mother.” Yongsun still won’t face her but Byulyi can tell she’s trying to hold back a smile. “I have to make sure you’re mine before anyone else realizes that too.”

Byulyi hopes that came out less sincere than she feels, because it’s all to late that she’s feeling embarrassed.

Yongsun saves her by shoving her away again in mock anger. “Greasy. Let’s just get these and go home before the kids fall asleep waiting for us.” But then she turns around and winks prettily at Byulyi. “You can tell me about how amazing I am later.”

 *

When they show up with a bag full of sparklers, Wheein runs to them and her face lights up brighter than even the biggest firework.