pool

drabbles

Usually, when Byulyi and Yongsun go to the gym, they do a small bit cardio, and a lot of core strengthening on the floor.

Sometimes, when they go to the gym, Yongsun swims.

It’s common knowledge that Byulyi is more of a sports person than Yongsun is, but that’s only because she likes to play. Yongsun specializes more. When she does something, she’s usually damn good at it.

Yongsun is damn good at swimming.

Byulyi always finishes first when Yongsun swims, her concentration fleeting when the other woman isn’t around. She sits on the benches on by the poolside and watches the of Yongsun’s arms, slender and powerful, propelling her through the water, as her sleek legs kick small and fast, and Byulyli thinks it looks akin to a mermaid’s tail.

Yongsun’s breathing is deep and controlled. When opens Byulyi can barely hear her inhale past the sound of her hand slicing into the water’s surface.

Sometimes, Byulyi sits and wonders how Yongsun’s lips stay so pretty and pink even though she’s been soaking in chlorine for an hour.

“Why don’t you ever come in Byul?” Yongsun peeks out from the edge of the water. She still has her goggles on, swim cap on tight, and now more than ever Byulyi thinks she looks like a squirtle.

“My bones are too heavy. I’ll sink.” Byulyi answers, pulling out her phone and taking a picture.

Yongsun scoffs. “Yeah right.” She swims up to put her hands and chin on the wet tile-edge. “How do I look? Cute?” She asks, a bit of a bluff in her smile.

Byulyi grins. “So cute.” She doesn’t show her, because she knows Yongsun’s eyesight is too horrible for her to see that distance. “Like a Japanese Kappa. Please grant me a wish, Kappa-nim.”

“Maybe if you come in the water.” Yongsun pushes off the wall and starts a backstroke.

Byulyi watches the swells of her body peak the water’s surface with each movement, entranced. Yongsun swims to the middle of the lane and slows, simply floating with controlled breathing. She bobs up and down, disrupting each ripple as it splashes back against her body, her with small waves. Her chest expands and deflates, s flattening against the streamlined design of her swimsuit.

And then she lets out a long exhale and dips beneath the surface. Byulyi see the image of Kim Yongsun stuttered and refracted, piecing together and pulling apart in the dips and crests of the water. Maybe this is what Wheein was talking about when they went to that art gallery together.

Byulyi snaps another picture.

Yongsun breaks out of the surface and breathes in deep, tugging off her goggles and swim cap in one motion. Her hair spins out in a singular wet mass, but already some strands fall free and stick to her face. Somehow, Yongsun's eyes find her, despite the fact that her world is probably a blurry mess at the moment.

Byulyi’s sitting on the rafters, and Yongsun is shoulder deep in the water, but somehow Yongsun’s expression makes her feel like she’s below the waves, looking up at the wading woman. Sometimes, when Yongsun swims, Byulyi feels like she wants to drown for her.

“Will you come in the pool if I sing for you?” Yongsun asks.

“Are you a siren?” Byulyi tilts her head, taking another picture.

Yongsun wades back to the end of the lane. “I might be.” She sing-songs, pulling herself out.

“Then of course I won’t. You’re going to kill me.” Byulyi jogs over to her and hands her a towel.

Yongsun pouts as she wipes the drops off her body. “I wouldn't do anything you don't deserve.” She shakes the towel through her hair, her shoulder blades texturing the smooth of her exposed back.

She flips back up, hair tousled and all falling to one side, and fixes the swimsuit around her bottom. “I’m gonna rinse off and we can leave.” She drapes the towel around her shoulders.

Byulyi mumbles in agreeement as they walk towards the showers. “I have your glasses when you want them.”

“Ah, thanks.” Yongsun smiles and leans over to gives her a light kiss on the cheek. She smells like chlorine and her lips are damp, but they’re still soft, plush against Byulyi’s skin. “You smell like sweat.” Yongsun says, pulling away, taking her bag, drawing a plastic curtain behind her.

Byulyi’s hand shimmies to catch the edge. “Maybe I should take a shower too then.” She teases.

Yongsun sticks out her tongue. “Get your own stall.”

Byulyi laughs and lets go, making sure the curtain is safely drawn and she feels a splash of warm water against her ankles. She retreats over to the lockers and straddles a bench, fiddling with her phone as she waits for Yongsun to finish.

After a bit she hears the other woman step out. Yongsun calls Byulyi’s name softly through the steam but she’s already on her feet, glasses in hand. Yongsun is back in a shirt and shorts, so Byulyi grabs the used towel and stuffs it in her bag, giving the other woman her glasses.

“Ready?” Byulyi holds her hand out to Yongsun as she runs a hand through her damp hair.

“Yeah.” She takes Byulyi’s hand, lacing their fingers together.

When they step out of the A/C blasted facility, into the hot August day, Yongsun is glad she didn’t dry her hair all the way. It makes her feel cooler. She twists a strand of it between her fingers and tickles Byulyi’s face with the tip.

“Ugh, Unnie what are you doing?” Byulyi asks, mildly annoyed. Yongsun can already see the sweat forming on her brow.

“If you swam you wouldn’t feel so hot.”

“Why do you want me to swim so badly?”

Yongsun shrugs, a bit embarrassed. “I feel bad that you always have to wait for me.”

Byulyi adjusts her backpack strap on her shoulder. She squeezes their hands still entwined and brings them up so she can kiss the back of Yongsun’s.

“Don’t worry Yong, I have enough fun just watching.”