games

drabbles

Byulyi gets obsessive. Yongsun usually likes that part of her, if only because she looks really hot when she’s concentrating. This however, is too much.

There’s nothing hot about Byulyi on her third day sitting on the couch without a shower, hair a bit tussled, glasses sliding off her nose, eyes glued to the TV screen. Actually, it was a little hot, but Yongsun was still annoyed. Byulyi didn’t even come to bed until 3am last night because she was on that new game she got.

Yongsun didn’t know how she could stay entertained when it just looked like all the other fighting games, but when she asked about it, Byulyi just went into a long lecture about how no, there’s actually a very complicated story that I can tell you about, and it starts with this character right here, the one with his face burned off and

She’d checked out then. Byulyi kept going for who knows how long, but the girl was into the story enough that Yongsun started playing Sudoku on her phone and Byulyi just kept rambling.

But today, enough was enough. Yongsun was having a really good hair day, face day, makeup day, everything day, and they were going out whether Mr. Burned-Face succeeded in destroying the world or not. She walked right between Byul and the TV and planted her feet, trying to look firm.

Byulyi immediately paused the game and looked up at her girlfriend. Yongsun had done this enough that Byulyi didn’t really get ruffled, she just perpetually had her finger floating over pause whenever Yongsun entered her peripherals.

“What’s up, babe?” 

Oh no, she pulled the ‘babe’ card, but Yongsun was going to stand her ground. She was already dressed. She had looked up somewhere to go. She was not going to go down without a fight. Someone was going to win today, and today?

Today, Yongsun was just too cute to lose.

“Byul, you’ve been on this thing for three days.” She pouted for maximum effect. “I’m feeling a little neglected.”

“Ah! I’m sorry Unnie, do you want to come sit with me?” There it is. Byulyi was trying to get this to go her way by being sweet. Her open arms looked really inviting though…No! Yongsun had found the perfect place for them to spend their day and by god she was going to get there.

“Let’s go out, Byul, it’s really nice today.” She smoothed the dress she was wearing, a blaring signal to Byulyi that yes, it’s also because I feel pretty today.

“I’m…I’m almost done with this storyline though, really…” Byulyi bit her lip and looked between Yongsun and the pause screen. Mr. Burned-Face had just found his long-thought dead second cousin, the semi-boss to the mini-boss that would unlock the final fight. Probably.

“That means at least four more hours Byul.” She sat next to the girl, pulling her eye towards her. “I want to go out while the sun’s still shining.” And I’m still shining, she thought.

“Not four.” Byulyi reached for her controller. “Maybe like two and a half since I’ve gotten pretty good.”

“No!” Yongsun grabbed her hands and let run wild, the usual case when she got frustrated. “If you’re so good, then you don’t need to be playing anymore! Actually if you’re so good let’s make a bet.” Byulyi stared at her wide-eyed at the sudden challenge. “Let’s do a battle, or whatever that fighting thing is. You can do that right? Let’s do that. If I lose I’ll let you finish in peace but if I win you have to listen to whatever I want and also you won’t be good at this game. You’ll be bad.” She paused. “You’ve been bad.” Yongsun pouted.

Byulyi chuckled at Yongsun’s outburst, but she relented. The sooner she beat Yongsun at the game, the sooner she could go back to finishing the plot. And then her mind wouldn’t itch from curiosity anymore and she could devote all her time to her girlfriend again. But looking at the sad mochi in front of her…

Yongsun really did look so beautiful today.

“Alright Unnie. Here, take this controller.” She said, handing Yongsun the one she had set on table earlier.

“Isn’t this one yours?”

“Don’t worry, I can connect another one.” She opened the cabinet and held up another controller, giving Yongsun a cute smile. She turned it on and a little notification appeared at the top of the screen saying ‘Player 2 connected’. 

“Here lemme set up a game real fast.” She took back the gamepad in Yongsun’s hands and went through the menus so fast, Yongsun didn’t even see the screens.

“Don’t I get to pick a character?” She asked as the controller was handed back to her.

“What, so you can lose in style?” Byulyi smirked picking up the second gamepad.

“You’ll eat those words, Moon Byulyi.”

“Sure, sure. You’re the pink strawberry looking thing.” Yongsun looked at her avatar bouncing up and down, looking real angry. The top of the screen had the name RAWBERRY over a green line. Was that her health bar? Well, whatever, she guessed it was kind of cute.

“So I just use these to move?” She fiddled with the twirly sticks in her hands. Byulyi couldn’t stop grinning at how cute Yongsun looked, trying to figure things out.

She listed out all the button combinations and special attacks the character had and Yongsun of course listened to all the way and retained all that information.

Oh, the button with an ‘X’ on it, not the one that was shaped like an ‘X’.

-

10 minutes later Byulyi was getting her handed to her.

“Oh my god what am I doing what am I doing—did I just do that?”

“Yes! You did! STOP IT!!!”

“Oh my gosh Byul why are you just running around and punching that air?”

“Because you won’t stop combo-ing me! And I’m trying to prep for an attack that you keep interrupting! How are you doing that?!”

“I’m just smashing buttons. Oh what did I just do?”

Byulyi stared soullessly at the screen. “You’re about to take my last life…” Her Robot Centaur was swaying in front of Rawberry and the button combo for a Brutal KO flashed on the screen. Yongsun fumbled around with the controls.

“Um, wait where is the triangle shaped one…”

Byulyi watched the Brutal KO timer drain down just like her will was draining out of her. She hit some buttons on her own controller and suddenly Rawberry’s seeds launched out of its body, turning into hundreds of needles and effectively turning Robot Centaur into a horsecupine.

“Did I do that? How did I do that?” Solar asked excitedly, despite grimacing at the violent scene.

Byulyi shrugged and sighed, “Um, sometimes it just plays the scene even if you don’t hit all the buttons.” She took off her glasses and rubbed her tired eyes. “Kim Yongsun you are truly incredible. Why don’t you go get the rest of your stuff ready? I’ll turn off the TV and take a quick shower. Yong-princess and I can do whatever she wants for the rest of today.”

Yongsun squealed and gave Byulyi a quick peck on her cheek. “Thank you, Byul-ah.” She gave her another kiss before jumping up to find the rest of her things.

Byulyi smiled at how her girlfriend skipped around, too elated to notice the victory screen on the TV. Under Rawberry a banner rolled out with ‘PLAYER 2’ painted on it.

Byulyi really did want to finish the plot today, but she probably needed that shower.

And well, Yongsun was just too cute to lose.