Sequel 28

I love you a thousand times (FINALLY ENDED)

Wheein stared hard.

“Stop looking at me like that!”

Moonbyul was sweating bullets. She was trying to get away from them. Yongsun had asked her to. She turned to her right; Hwasa was raising one of her eyebrows; sceptical about her excuse.

“You look like a ghost.”

“I just don’t understand. Why are you dumping your son on us?”

“The two of you spent too much time with each other. It’s my turn.”

“Oh? What do you mean?”

Moonbyul gave up. She showed Wheein her phone. Yongsun sent her message last night. Wheein rolled her eyes.

“You could just be honest with us!”

“I cannot let Minhyuk know.”

“Fine, go and have fun with her. I’ll take care of Minhyuk with Hwasa.”

“We are? How come nobody asked for my opinion?”

“Do I have to?”

Hwasa paused for a second; Wheein’s authoritative voice was scaring her.

“Well, you don’t.”

“Good. Now be a good girl and get dressed. And you, go wake up your son and have breakfast with him at least. Then tell him, you need to work overtime.”

“Okay! Thanks, Wheein!”

Moonbyul ran up the stairs, leaving the couple in the kitchen. Hwasa was still sulking away. Wheein noticed it and sighed softly.

“Yongsun unnie was the one who made the first move.”

“Yongsun unnie? You mean she’s not working overtime for real?”

“No? Did you hear what she said just now?”

“You mentioned overtime. Oh, wait. It’s just a disguise?!”

“Yes! She couldn’t let Minhyuk know. That boy would throw fit if he finds out his mothers ditch him for a date.”

“Ah, Yongsun unnie asked her out for a date first?!”

Wheein nodded and smiled widely. It was a good approach. Somehow things were slowly going the way they expected to be.

“Okay, then it’s fine! I’ll wash up now!”

Hwasa finally got the idea. Wheein watched as Hwasa danced her way to the bathroom. She chuckled softly at Hwasa’s cute antics.

In fact, she has been noticing them lately. Hyejin tends to be cute and dumb at times but sometimes she appears reliable and trustworthy. And Wheein likes such people. Most of her dates were either too rigid or too boring or too serious or on the other extreme, flirtatious and womanizer. That referred to both male and females.

Well, except for Yongsun. She’s complicated with plenty of emotional baggage. But she was quite pitiful yet resilient and independent. She raised her son all by herself; she worked to support her son and managed to survive through despite getting heartbroken repeatedly.

But not anymore, now Kim Yongsun has found her reason to live and it’s the same person who broke her heart 5 years ago. Love is so complicated. But Wheein knew she made the right choice not to make the mistake. She might be at the losing end somehow if she ever had a relationship with Yongsun.

There was no way Kim Yongsun would give her whole heart to her. Her heart only belongs to Moon Byulyi.

“Wheein ah, I’ll get dress quickly. And we can make breakfast together.”

Hyejin came out; looking fresh and smells minty. She stood in front of Wheein and gave a soft kiss on Wheein’s forehead before heading back to their room. Wheein watched as she disappeared behind the bedroom door.

She smiled. Hyejin came as a surprise. When Moonbyul returned, Wheein thought she was doomed to be alone. She had already given up on Yongsun the moment she found out Moonbyul was released from the prison. No doubt, Yongsun was grateful to her but when it comes to the matters of the heart, Wheein knew she would lose out.

But it never came across her mind that she had someone from her past. A long-lost love that was hidden in her history when she couldn’t remember her past after the accident. If only she knew, she would set out to find Hyejin.

However, she wasn’t going to complain now. Hyejin found her way back into her heart subconsciously. Love’s complicated yet it heals.

It heals all broken strings with time. And Hyejin healed her; slowly but gradually. And she was willing to let Hyejin’s love grow on her. It’s growing now.  And Wheein loves at the rate it grows. It gave her confidence to face this world once more.

“What are you thinking of?”

Wheein was awakened by Hyejin’s sudden question.

“Oh, nothing. I was just thinking of you.”

“Oh? I’m here.”

“I know. I was just thinking of our future.”

Hyejin smiled widely.

“I’m not leaving, Wheein.”

“I know.”

Hyejin kissed her again before grabbing eggs and milk carton from the fridge. She then settled Wheein down on the dining table.

“I’ll make us breakfast. You just sit here.”

“You don’t need my help?”

“No, from now own, I’m the wife who cooks, feeds and take cares of you. You will be the wife who just receives love from me.”

Wheein’s heart swelled.

-

“So, Mama is going to work today?”

Moonbyul melted. Minhyuk had started calling her Mama. It was a good feeling and Moonbyul wanted to hear her son calling her Mama all the time.

“Yeah, but Mommy Wheein will stay here with you.”

“Oh! Then it’s okay!”

“I’ll come back late though.”

“Oh, what time?”

“Maybe late at night?”

“Oh. Can come home earlier?”

Moonbyul laughed then nodded.

“Of course, I’ll come home early for you.”

“Mama’s turn to read me bedtime story.”

“Ah, that’s right! Okay, I’ll be home early.”

Minhyuk beamed brightly before Moonbyul helped him to wash up. Minhyuk was genuinely happy; it was evident in Moonbyul’s eyes that her family is healing and they will be together soon.

“Do you want Mama to get you something later?”

Minhyuk shook his head. He smiled softly.

“Minhyuk just wants Mama to tell me bedtime story when you get home later.”

Moonbyul wanted to cry so badly.

-

She drove to the airport. Wheein and Hwasa were going out with Minhyuk to the amusement park. Minhyuk hasn’t been to one before. So, with her son taken care of, Moonbyul was set to focus on Yongsun. She had written those words she wanted to tell Yongsun but never had the chance to. She even bought flowers despite knowing how cliché it could get but she didn’t care. Yongsun deserves more than just words.

She looked at her time; she still had half an hour to spare before Yongsun’s flight arrives. She parked her car and briskly walked into the airport. She looked around; there were many visitors from all over the world and some Koreans probably leaving for holidays. She was thinking maybe she should plan a holiday trip for them including Wheein and Hwasa. Of course, Minhyuk would be coming with them.

She sat near the arrival hall; kept looking at her watch every now and then. Her heart was pounding hard; it was the first time Yongsun was being warm with her on the phone. Their conversations for the past few nights were sweet and almost endearing. Yongsun had been affectionate and Moonbyul missed that feeling the most.

There was an announcement and Moonbyul knew Yongsun’s plane had landed at the airport. She stood up and headed to the gate. Yongsun sent her whole itinerary to her last night. She hid the flowers behind her back; hoping that Yongsun would be smiling upon seeing them.

Fifteen minutes later, streams of people were heading out from the gate into the arrival hall. Families greeted their loved ones; and Moonbyul was looking out for one person – just that one person who caused her heart to beat rapidly. Then, she appeared amongst the crowd.

She was wearing a white blouse; white jeans and a brown coat hanging over her shoulders. She looked like a goddess just descended from heaven and Moonbyul couldn’t keep her eyes away from her. And Yongsun spotted her so easily. She waved enthusiastically. Moonbyul was smiling widely.

“Hey~”

Yongsun was smiling ever since she saw Moonbyul.

“Welcome home, Yong.”

“Thank you.”

“This is for you.”

Moonbyul pulled out the bouquet from her back and presented it to Yongsun. The older woman was pleasantly surprised as she took the flowers from Moonbyul.

“These are beautiful.”

“You’re not cringing?”

“It’s about time you should start giving me flowers.”

Moonbyul smiled and then nodded. She cautiously spread her arms apart; inviting Yongsun into her embrace. She wasn’t so sure if Yongsun would take that invitation but she was taken aback when Yongsun pulled her in and not only that, she buried her face in Moonbyul’s neck.

“I miss you, Moon Byulyi.”

Moonbyul’s eyes watered. It felt like it was a dream. It took her 5 damn long years before she could hear Yongsun’s confession right in her ears. She wasted too much time on her stupidity.

“I miss you too, Kim Yongsun. So much.”

-

Wheein and Hyejin had a ball of their time with Minhyuk. They were holding his hands on his sides; swinging their hands together. And at times, Minhyuk would cling onto Hyejin; affectionately calling her Mommy Hwasa.

At first, she was taken aback. She never had the intention to have children; it’s not because she hates them; but she felt like she was still a baby herself. Her father pampered her too much that sometimes Hyejin acted immaturely.

But when she noticed how Wheein paid attention on Minhyuk; taking care of his needs and knowing how to appease the child; Hyejin realized that she needed to buck up if she wants to have a family with Wheein.

Like earlier on, Minhyuk fell and scrapped his knees. He was about to cry when Wheein picked him up and consoled him. The boy stopped crying and leaning against Wheein’s shoulders as Wheein whispered comforting words in his ears.

“Hyejin ah, can you carry him for a second?”

“Sure.”

Minhyuk was transferred into Hyejin’s arms and the boy immediately wrapped his arms around her neck. He buried his face in her shoulder.

“Does it still hurt?”

Hyejin asked him carefully while Wheein ran off to look for some medication.

“Not anymore.”

“Are you sure?”

“Because Hwasa Mommy is here.”

“Oh? You like Hwasa Mommy?”

“Like! Minhyuk likes you.”

“Am I good enough for Mommy Wheein?”

“Of course! Hwasa Mommy is only meant for Mommy Wheein.”

That felt so good. Hyejin just hugged him tighter.

“Minhyuk ah, don’t grow up too fast okay?”

“Why?”

“I want to spend more time with you like this. If you grow too big, I cannot carry you anymore.”

“Don’t worry! Minhyuk will cling on Hwasa Mommy!”

“Make sure you do!”

Minhyuk pulled away and then kissed Hyejin on her cheek.

“Minhyuk loves Hwasa Mommy!”

“I love you too!”

-

“So, where are we heading?”

Yongsun settled down in the car. She had a long flight and it was tiring for her as she travelled too often within the week. She was glad that it was finally over and the project had a good start.  She didn’t have to oversee the project now. She had appointed someone to be stationed in Singapore as the manager in charge.

“Just sit and relax. Sleep if you want to.”

“Are you sure? Won’t you get bored?”

“I rather you have your rest. Don’t worry, I’ll wake you up.”

“Okay, I couldn’t sleep much. Have been travelling from LA to Singapore and then out to Taiwan because of the project.”

“That’s why I said rest. Just close your eyes and rest.”

Yongsun smiled and then outstretched her hand; with her palm facing up. Moonbyul looked at her; questioning her gesture.

“What?”

“Can I hold your hand?”

“Hm?”

“I miss holding your hand.”

Moonbyul pulled out her free hand and grabbed Yongsun’s palm tightly. Yongsun interlaced her fingers with Moonbyul’s. She then let both of their hands lean against the arm rest; next to her car seat.

“Don’t let go.”

“Okay.”

“Never let go of my hand anymore.”

“I will never do that. I promise.”

With that assurance, Yongsun closed her eyes and fell asleep instantly. Moonbyul watched her sleep; then focused her gaze on their intertwined hands. Her heart was swelling; she could feel tears pooling in her eyes once again.

She held Yongsun’s hand tightly. She could never let this hand go anymore. No matter what it takes to keep them together, Moonbyul would make her best efforts to let them stay close forever. She drove expertly with her other hand. Of course, when she needed to control the steering wheel with both hands; she would let go briefly before she would grab Yongsun’s hand again.

And through all that, Yongsun was still sleeping soundly. Moonbyul would look at her occasionally when the red lights were on. She couldn’t contain her happiness and had the strongest urge to kiss Yongsun but she held back.

Finally, they reached their destination. It was the same place they went to on their first date. Moonbyul took great lengths to find the best tteokbokki stall in the whole of Seoul. Thank god, the stall was still around.

She turned off the engine and then turned to look at Yongsun. She gently shook Yongsun awake.

“Yong, we’re here.”

“Hmm?”

“Wake up. We’ve arrived.”

Yongsun slowly opened her eyes before she looked around; in a blurry state. It took her few seconds before she recognized the familiar surroundings.

“Wait, this is the stall we went to on our first date.”

“Yeah, remember how cheapo I was?”

Yongsun laughed.

“I didn’t care about that. I just cared about my time spent with you.”

“I should have guessed that. You really enjoyed yourself.”

“I will again, this time.”

“I hope you’ll say that.”

“Let’s go! I’m famished now!”

Yongsun got out of the car quickly; leaving Moonbyul chuckling to herself. Despite being in her late 20s, Kim Yongsun is still as cute as ever. Moonbyul got out after her; before she felt Yongsun’s hand slipping into hers.

“You promise. You won’t let go.”

Moonbyul smiled and then nodded. She held on to Yongsun’s hand tightly.

“I’m not letting go.”

-

Wheein and Minhyuk were screaming their heads off. Someone suggested to check out on the Haunted House. Wrong move. Those two were afraid of it.

“AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!”

“MOMMY WHEEIN! HOLD ME!”

“WHOSE BRIGHT IDEA THIS WAS?!”

Hyejin knew she would be in trouble after this. Nevertheless, she stood in front of them; held their hands; Minhyuk was constantly crashing his head into her stomach while Wheein grabbed her arms tightly with her fingernails. Hyejin could smell blood from her skin.

“Wheein ah, my arms are bleeding.”

“I’m sorry but this is too scary!”

“Hwasa Mommy, can you carry me?”

Hyejin didn’t have much choice. She lifted the younger boy into her arms and holding Wheein’s hand tightly as they scrimped their way out of the Haunted House. Of course, with screaming and shrieking from the two cowards respectively.

They made it. They made it out alive. Thankfully, nobody died or something.

“Okay, we made it!”

Hyejin was glad that the experience was over. Her ear drums were still ringing constantly.

“I’m sorry, your arms are scrapped with my fingernails.”

“I’m just grateful that you didn’t attempt to rip my arms off or something.”

She earned a loud slap on her back. Hyejin grinned stupidly at Wheein before she pulled Minhyuk away from her neck.

“Minhyuk ah, are you okay?”

The boy trembled; his body was cold.

“Minhyuk?”

Wheein finally turned to look at Minhyuk after she had calmed down. The boy’s face was white. She was alarmed.

“Hyukkie! Are you okay?”

The boy looked at her absent-mindedly. He was losing his for some reason. Hyejin sat down on the bench and placed him in front of her. The boy’s face was extremely pale.

“Wheein ah, is there water with you?”

“Yeah!”

Wheein pulled out the mineral bottle from her bag and passed it to Hyejin. Hyejin then took out the cap.

“Minhyuk, do you want to drink something?”

He nodded and took the bottle from Hyejin. He drank the whole bottle in 5 seconds. The two women looked on worriedly. Hyejin gently patted on his back; comforting him. He didn’t attempt to cry or anything. He was a in great shock.

“Minhyuk, are you feeling better?”

“That place is scary.”

He finally came around after 10 minutes.

“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have brought you here. And your Mommy Wheein too.”

“Minhyuk is scared. Can Minhyuk sleep with Mommy Hwasa tonight?”

“Sure. You can.”

“Okay.”

Minhyuk then leaned closer on Hyejin’s chest; resting his head against her. Wheein looked on suspiciously. Minhyuk was getting too comfortable. And Wheein was getting a little annoyed.

“Do you want me to carry you, Minhyuk ah?”

“No, Minhyuk wants Mommy Hwasa.”

“Geez, this little brat!”

Hyejin laughed as she cuddled the boy closer. She probably knew why Wheein was annoyed.

“Are you jealous of Minhyuk?”

“What? NO!”

“Then why are you so pissed?”

“He’s clearly taking advantage of you!”

“I don’t mind though.”

Wheein rolled her eyes. She got up and walked away. Hyejin was amused; but nevertheless, followed behind Wheein with Minhyuk clinging to her like a koala bear.

“Wheein ah~~”

“Shut up.”

“Oh, come on, he’s just a little boy!”

“You can marry him then.”

“What?! That’s sound so e!”

“Aren’t you?”

“Are you seriously not jealous?”

“NO!”

“Are you sureeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee?”

“Shut up, Anh Hyejin!”

“But you’re jealous!”

Hyejin put Minhyuk down and whispered something in his ears. The boy’s eyes grew larger then nodded.

“MOMMY WHEEEEEIN!”

“Go away, Kim Minhyuk.”

“Minhyuk loves Mommy Wheein the most!”

“Right.”

“Mommy doesn’t believe Minhyuk?”

“Go to your Mommy Hwasa.”

“Mommy Wheein, YOU JEALOUS OF MINHYUK?!”

“See, I told you! Minhyuk ah, Mommy Wheein is jealous of us!”

“SHUT UP BOTH OF YOU!”

They took turns to argue with Wheein. But they still headed to the same place together. The playful banter was the cutest thing with Hyejin and Minhyuk teasing baby Wheein. Eventually, Wheein gave in and they ended up hugging one another.

“Mommy Wheein, Minhyuk loves you.”

The boy always knew to melt Wheein’s heart no matter what.

“Mommy Hwasa loves Mommy Wheein too.”

And Hyejin had to seal Wheein’s heart forever. She couldn’t believe how much she loves the two of them dearly.

“I love both of you too.”

-

Yongsun remembered their first date. She could never forget it no matter how painful it was for the last 5 years. The memories of their first date kept lingering on her mind; even lately it came on every now and then.

So, she was surprised when Moonbyul took her back to their first date memory. She was convinced that Moonbyul is her meant to be. They think alike and somehow shares the same sentiments towards their broken relationship.

“Okay, 1 plate of tteokbokki for my pretty lady!”

Yongsun beamed happily as she tucked into her favourite food in the world. Moonbyul knew it too well. This food used to be her saviour during those times when they had fights during their dating years. Tteokbokki would be her game plan. Anything with that food would make Yongsun forgive her so easily.

“Wow, it still tastes the same!”

“It is still good, huh?”

“Yeah! Come, try it!”

Yongsun fed her; Moonbyul gladly took the offer. She didn’t want to jinx the wonderful atmosphere right now. Yongsun was being loving and affectionate towards her.

Moonbyul watched with amusement. Yongsun was clearly enjoying this moment as much as she did.

“Thank you, Moonbyul.”

“Hm?”

“For taking me back to this place. It sure brings a lot of good memories.”

“I owe you. In fact, I owe you 5 years of happiness and good memories. I want to erase every painful memory you have in your heart and on your mind for the last 5 years. Let me replace them with just joy and happiness from now onwards.”

Moonbyul suddenly became serious. She had always wanted to give nothing but happiness and love since she realized how stupid she was. Yongsun kept quiet but her eyes were fixed on Moonbyul.

“I know I cannot erase everything, but I just want to replace those horrible memories with newfound happiness and lots of love from my heart. I love you so much, Yong. I thought I made the right choice for leaving you. For letting you find a new lease of life with whoever that can make you happy. Honestly, I thought of Wheein. But Yong, the more I forced myself to give you up, the more this heart wants to love you forever.”

“Why did you want to give me up? Give us up? Give Minhyuk up just like that? You didn’t even give a chance for him to get to know you.”

This was the time. This was the moment Moonbyul knew she had to be honest about everything. Why she did what she did. And what made her did what she did.

“When I was in prison, I had a new inmate who shared the same cell with me. She came in later than me and she often looked so dead. There was nothing in her eyes and she was brooding all the time. I mean, I was the exact of her and I didn’t want any trouble, so I kept to myself.

But she cried every night. She would have nightmares and started crying; calling out someone’s name. One day, she finally said something to me. And that was when she shared her story and why she was in prison for.”

Moonbyul took a pause and Yongsun held her hand. She urged Moonbyul to go on. She smiled and continued her story.

“She was in jail because she killed her girlfriend.”

Yongsun gasped.

“She killed her girlfriend because she thought her girlfriend was cheating on her with another man. She did everything for her and she thought her girlfriend would wait for her. So, she killed her. But what she didn’t know was, her late girlfriend was suffering in silence. Because she was a prisoner; her late girlfriend was ostracized. She led a horrible life and she couldn’t take it anymore. People looked down on her late girlfriend; they called her names and she finally snapped. She was drunk and made a mistake with a guy. That was when my inmate found out and thought otherwise. But it turned out to be a mistake – a dear mistake that my inmate paid her life with.”

Yongsun finally understood Moonbyul’s fear. She finally knew why Moonbyul did what she did.

“I suddenly felt that I couldn’t do this to her. Your wife is a prisoner and she murdered someone. I was afraid that people will look down on you; call you names and even ostracize you for having me as your wife; a murderer. I even attempted to kill my father-in-law because I trusted blindly. I love you too much to let you go through this. And when you showed me a ultrasound photo of Minhyuk; it tore me apart that now, another innocent person would have to bear the of society because he was born to a murderer mom.”

Moonbyul’s tears fell from the corner of her eyes. Her heart ached as she recalled those painful memories.

“I cannot do this to you or Minhyuk. I cannot possibly live myself shamelessly; allowing you and Minhyuk to bear the brunt of my stupidity. When Wheein confessed that she likes you, I thought it was time for me to give you up to someone better; someone who cares for you and someone who really knows you well – someone like Jung Wheein.”

Finally, Moonbyul said her piece. She should have been honest about everything right from the start. But she thought she was protecting them; yet it did the opposite. It pushed them away from her.

But Yongsun finally understood. She knew Moonbyul wasn’t that kind of person. But she was blinded by anger; pain and even heart ache to listen to Moonbyul’s explanation.

Now that she did, Yongsun’s heart just broke open; allowing her love for Moonbyul to eventually grew as her heart ached so badly for her love; her beloved wife.

“I’m sorry, Moonbyul.”

‘No, you didn’t do anything wrong.”

“I stopped myself from loving you.”

“That’s a natural defensive mechanism when one hurts you.”

“But you have reasons.”

“I don’t care about that anymore. That’s in the past. I’m just concerned what our future could have been. I mean, Yong. I just want to spend my lifetime with you. Our present and our future together with Minhyuk – I just want to know where we will be.”

Yongsun smiled.

“I have been giving you hints.”

“I know but I’m still afraid.”

“What are you afraid of?”

“That I will say something stupid and lose you forever.”

“What do you want to tell me?”

Moonbyul paused for a second. Should she do it? Or should she hold back?

“Tell me.”

But Yongsun was urging her. Moonbyul couldn’t care anymore. It’s now or never.

“I love you. And I really want you back in my life.”

Yongsun’s eyes turned red. She has been hurting too much. She was broken. She was totally broken but not now. Those 3 words saved her.

“I love you too. And I, too, really want you back in my life, once again.”

-