Sequel 25

I love you a thousand times (FINALLY ENDED)

Yongsun stopped dead in her tracks; staring ahead across the hallway. Someone was standing there; staring at her with the saddest pair of eyes.

“Look, I was just helping to clear up the place. Wheein wanted to help you but since I’m not doing anything, I volunteered. So, please don’t be mad at her.”

Moonbyul was quick to explain. She didn’t want Yongsun to get the wrong idea. But Yongsun just kept her silence. She then nodded and pulled her luggage deeper into the living room where Moonbyul was.

“If you don’t want me to be here, I will be outside.”

“No, just stay here. Sit down.”

Moonbyul was taken aback but nevertheless, sat down on the sofa. Yongsun then dragged her luggage into her room; Moonbyul just waited in the living room. It was almost 10 minutes of deafening silence before Yongsun appeared again in the living room. She has changed into something comfortable.

“Thanks for clearing up my place. I saw you changed my bedsheets.”

“You still keep the old ones. And most of the furniture here came from our old apartment.”

“I don’t know what I was thinking back then. I had no idea what I should do with the furniture.”

“Yongsun, I know you’re broken. And I’m the cause of it. But I just want you to know that I’m not going to force you to take me back.”

Yongsun looked up; her gaze was fixated on Moonbyul. And Moonbyul could read her mind.

“I know you’re afraid to get hurt again. But I’m not going to give up either. I’m just going to stay here; be here and I’ll go to you whenever you need me whether as a friend or as someone special or even just an acquaintance.”

“I’m so tired of getting hurt.”

“I know. And I truly understand your hesitations. But Yongsun ah, is it okay if I woo you all over again?”

“What do you mean?”

“Let me win your heart just like I used to do before.”

“But I was the one who approached you first.”

“Yes, so now let me do it instead. Let me approach you like as though we have never met before. Let your heart fall in love with me naturally.”

“And what if you fail?”

“Then I’ll let it go. We will remain just friends.”

Yongsun agreed.

-

Wheein was in huge relief. Moonbyul texted her that things were fine now. They have agreed to start out as friends and let things happen naturally. Yongsun was being civil with Moonbyul in the same house.

“Are you sure you don’t need me to come over now?”

“I’m fine. Yongsun’s fine. She’s even cooking and I’m helping her in the kitchen.”

“Oh? So, you two really going to work things out?”

“We will be friends now. And she has agreed to let things fall naturally. We will take it slow.”

“That’s great. I’m so relieved to hear that.”

“Maybe you can just pick up Hyejin and Minhyuk at the train station. It’s going to rain soon. They may not have umbrella.”

“Sure, I’ll call Hyejin.”

Wheein managed to contact Hyejin and they were just 3 stops away from their destination. Wheein drove to the station and waited for them. Soon enough, it started raining. Minutes later, Hyejin appeared with Minhyuk. The boy was smiling widely.

Hyejin spotted Wheein’s car and walked over but Minhyuk wanted to grab some tteokbokki. Hyejin called Wheein.

“Wheein ah, Minhyuk wants to eat some tteokbokki.”

“Oh? Okay, I’ll park my car and we can grab some food together.”

“Sure, I’ll see you at the stall.”

Wheein found a parking spot and grabbed an umbrella from the side of her car door. She locked the door and went off to look for Hyejin and Minhyuk. Seconds later, she spotted them; sitting at the table together. Minhyuk was animatedly chatting with Hyejin; he was sitting on her lap waiting for the food to arrive.

Hyejin was protectively wrapping her arms around Minhyuk and laughed heartily at whatever Minhyuk was sharing with her. They looked so perfect together and Wheein was watching them from their backs. They couldn’t see Wheein.

Wheein smiled then chuckled softly when both immediately tucked in the moment Ahjumma placed the snacks on their table. Hyejin even helped Minhyuk with his school uniform. She took out her scarf and tied it around Minhyuk’s neck.

“Be careful, it’s hot. Noona will feed you, okay?”

“Okay!”

Wheein’s heart melted at the sight of Hwasa taking care of the little guy. She started envisioning herself with Hwasa and taking care of a child together. How great would that be?

“Mommy!”

The boy finally spotted her, and he waved enthusiastically. Hyejin looked over her shoulder and smiled widely. Wheein’s heart skipped a beat.

“What are you doing over there? Come and join us!”

Wheein nodded and smiled.

“Coming.”

Her heart felt with warmth as she approached Hwasa and Minhyuk. She sat in front of them; watching Minhyuk having a great time with Hwasa.

“Can Noona pick Minhyuk up from school again?”

“Wae?”

“Minhyuk wants to take the train with Noona again! It was fun!”

“Then, if that’s the case, shall we take the bus next time?”

“Okay! Minhyuk likes that!”

Minhyuk then wrapped his arms around Hwasa’s waist; hugging her tightly. And Hwasa reciprocated with a kiss on his forehead. Wheein looked on; her heart was skipping many beats and for the very first time, Wheein had the urge to kiss Hwasa.

Her heart fell all over again.

-

Yongsun and Moonbyul had dinner together. There were no tears; no screams; just smiles and small talks. Moonbyul set the table earlier on and settled down with Yongsun on the opposite side.

Yongsun ate quietly; Moonbyul looked on. It was a silent dinner but Moonbyul was enjoying it thoroughly. The thought of just sitting in front of Yongsun peacefully like this was good enough.

“Are you surprised that I’m not screaming or shouting at you now?”

“Huh? No. I’m just enjoying it.”

“Enjoying the silence?”

“No, not really. I’m enjoying this time with you; sitting here with you and having dinner together.”

“This is manageable.”

Moonbyul nodded. She didn’t want to push it too far. The thought of Yongsun willingly cooked dinner for her – it felt like as though they were married before. Moonbyul was watching Yongsun made dinner earlier on. She was watching her from behind.

She recalled those memories when they used to spend so much time in the kitchen preparing for dinner and of course, when Yongsun attempted to make kimchi for the first time. It was almost a complete disaster but she somehow managed to salvage it.

Moonbyul didn’t think she would miss such moments and yet, she did. But she was not going to dig out her selfishness; she had promised to take it slow – she would have to be patient and let time heal all the pain and bring them back together.

“You’re not going back to Jeonju?”

Yongsun suddenly spoke up. Moonbyul looked up instantly.

“You work at Hwasa’s restaurant, right?”

“Yes, but we both came here to solve our personal issues.”

“So, you’re not going to work ever?”

Moonbyul had never thought of it.

“I mean, shouldn’t you be responsible of your own life first before you can be responsible of me and our son?”

“I didn’t really think far.”

“Get your life back together first. Prove to me that you can take care of yourself. You can’t possibly stay at Wheein’s place forever.”

“Are you saying that I should do something to prove to you that I can?”

“I’m not saying you’re useless. I just feel that for you to prove to me that you can look after me for the rest of your life, you have to be financially stable first, isn’t it?”

“And if I can manage that, will you give me a chance?”

“Prove it to me first.”

Yongsun was firm and serious. She didn’t even blink her eyes during the conversation. Moonbyul felt offended at first but she realized Yongsun was right. How could she provide for her family if she hasn’t been earning stable income all this while? And yes, how could she stay at Wheein’s place for the longest time?

“I’ll find a job and find my own place. I’ll prove to you that I’m serious and I can provide for you and Minhyuk for the rest of my life.”

“Great. That’s your first mission. Before I allow you to come back into my life.”

-

“You asked her to find a job?”

Wheein was lying on Yongsun’s bed; the older woman was preparing for her outfit for tomorrow. Yongsun nodded before pulling out a white blouse.

“That blouse looks stunning on you by the way.”

“Have I worn this before?”

“I bought it for you.”

“Oh, that’s right. Thank you, Wheein!”

“You’re welcome! Anyway, why did you ask Moonbyul unnie to find a job?”

“She needs a job before she can feed Minhyuk and have a family.”

“Wow, since when you’re so strict about this? You’re working too.”

“This is for my own benefit. If she’s keen to take me back, she should put her life back together.”

Wheein sat up as she watched Yongsun’s facial expression. The woman was serious about the whole thing. Wheein was surprised at her sudden change.

“Why the sudden change?”

“What change?”

“You’re going to give her a chance ultimately?”

“I’m thinking about Minhyuk’s future. Yes, I can provide for him and everything but Moonbyul wasted 5 years of his life. I just wanted her to pay back for the last 5 years. Once she gets a job, I’ll ask her to take the responsibility of Minhyuk’s future.”

“Like his school and stuff?”

“Yeah, his school fees, his miscellaneous expenses and other relevant costs to Minhyuk’s education.”

“Wow. And Moonbyul unnie agreed?”

“She said she will prove it to me.”

“And if she can?”

“She will. And she will do it.”

“Huh?”

“I’m confident she will make it.”

“Then why are you being like this?”

“I just want her to give me that confidence to believe in her.”

Wheein smiled widely before she pulled the older woman and hugged her tightly. She finally understood Yongsun’s intention.

“Unnie, you still love her a lot.”

“I guess I do.”

-

“Find a job?”

“Yeah, Yongsun asked me to look for a job.”

“But unnie, your prisoner record? Won’t it affect your possibilities?”

“I can’t falter now. I need to prove to her I can do this.”

“Then I’ll find a job with you.”

“Wait, you’re not going back to Jeonju?”

Hwasa shook her head. She stretched her hand out and then grabbed Moonbyul’s hand tightly. She hasn’t been talking much with Moonbyul lately and she was missing those times where they would just stay in her room and talk about anything under the sun.

“I’m not going back there. I have already told my father that I would love to settle down here with Wheein. He relented.”

“Oh, that’s great! He wasn’t mad?”

“Nope, he said whatever that makes me happy.”

“That’s awesome.”

“Unnie, I haven’t really thanked you properly.”

“Huh?”

“Thank you for leading me to Wheein.”

Moonbyul smiled.

“No, seriously. If not because of you, I will never be able to meet Wheein at all. We are all related; how you came to Jeonju and met my father; and then worked for him; and how Wheein’s accident gave her a new lease of life and a new family.”

Hwasa shared Wheein’s story after her accident and what the Kims had done for her. Moonbyul was taken aback; she wasn’t aware of it. And now she felt even stupid to believe that Mr Kim was a bad man.

“Don’t be an idiot. That man willingly took you in as his daughter-in-law.”

“I failed him. I was so stupid. He must have been wanting to hit me since I left Yongsun withering in pain.”

“Well, if Yongsun’s my daughter, I would have got you killed by now.”

“Exactly. He should have.”

“This is not the time for you to wallow yourself in self-pity. We need to find a job.”

“That’s right. Let’s set things right and then move out from Wheein’s place. We need to find a proper job to provide for ourselves first.”

Both women were determined.

-

Yongsun was in her office when Wheein paid her a visit. Wheein was having a meeting with a client nearby and decided to pop by. Two weeks have gone by since her last encounter with Moonbyul. She has not heard of Moonbyul lately.

“Fancy seeing you at my office.”

“I have things to do with you. Uncle called me. We need to prepare some contracts for the projects in Singapore.”

“Oh, that’s right! I almost forgotten about it.”

“Do you have the information? I need them.”

Yongsun got up and pulled out a couple of files from her cupboard. Wheein winced. Thankfully, she got her assistant with her. She got the lady to bring back the files to office first.

“Just put them on my table. I’ll go through later. You can go back to office first and then leave early today. I won’t be back to office, so you don’t have to stay till the end of the day.”

“Thanks, Miss Jung.”

Her assistant left and Wheein settled down comfortably on Yongsun’s sofa. Yongsun was busy with her proposals; she looked up when she noticed Wheein was staring into space.

“Are you tired?”

“I haven’t been sleeping well.”

“Why not?”

“Do you know Moonbyul and Hwasa moved out from my place?”

Yongsun stopped whatever she was doing; she put her pen aside and moved over to Wheein. She sat next to the woman.

“They did?”

“Yeah, they returned their key card to me 2 nights ago.”

“They didn’t say where they were going?”

Wheein shook her head. She couldn’t sleep alone; and since the two of them left; her house felt empty. It felt weird not seeing them especially Hwasa.

“You miss Hwasa?”

And Yongsun wasn’t stupid. She could read Wheein’s mind.

“How on earth do you know that?”

“It’s easy to read you, Jung Wheein. And I’m aware that Hwasa has been sleeping in your room. Minhyuk complained to me.”

“Why that little kid!”

Yongsun laughed; she got up and poured wine for Wheein. She passed it to the woman; Wheein sighed as she took a sip.

“I don’t know, Unnie. It has always been comfortable to sleep next to her. Sometimes she will hug me tightly. She said I have nightmares at night.”

“You do. Sometimes. I used to hug you when you had one.”

“And you never once told me that?”

“I don’t think it’s necessary. You slept well after I hugged you.”

“ert. Taking advantage of me all the time.”

“HEY! Who’s taking advantage of who now?!”

Wheein stuck her tongue out before she took another sip. Then she pulled out some photos from her bag. She gave them to Yongsun. Yongsun took a glimpse and then frown.

“I thought you didn’t know where they were?”

“I didn’t know until today. Uncle gave them to me. He got someone to track them down.”

“You requested for his assistance?”

Wheein nodded. Yongsun looked at the photos carefully this time. Those were photos of Moonbyul doing some odd labouring jobs. Those jobs were often meant for men. Her heart ached a little.

“I know Hwasa works as a retailer at one of the shopping malls. Both are working really hard for some reason.”

“And they haven’t been contacting you?”

“Hwasa does. But she said she’s too busy to meet up. But she’s having her first off day this weekend. She would like to meet up with me.”

“So are you going to?”

“I guess so. I kinda miss her.”

Yongsun smiled and then nodded. She then gave the photos back to Wheein. She got up and went back to her table; Wheein looked on.

“Are you not going to contact Moonbyul unnie?”

“She’s busy working.”

“Unnie, aren’t you worried about her well-being?”

“She chose such work.”

“Unnie, she has no choice.”

Yongsun looked up again.

“What do you mean?”

“She has a record. She was an ex-convict. Nobody would hire her. It wouldn’t be easy for her to find a proper job. Those odd labouring jobs are the ones that she can do now.”

Yongsun looked away; she didn’t realize about that. Wheein moved closer towards her and placed the photos in front of Yongsun. She then put a card on her table as well.

“This is where she’s working. Go look for her.”

Yongsun stared at the card for the longest time.

-

Hwasa returned to their shared apartment. It was too small for two people but that was the only thing they could afford for now. Hwasa could easily asked for her father’s help but she refused. Moonbyul was worried that Hwasa might not get used to this kind of life.

She was so wrong. Hwasa was resilient and she adapted to changes easily. Well, it might be small, but it was cosy. At least, they had a sofa with a small television and a kitchen to cook meals with. There were no rooms but since both are girls, it didn’t matter to them. They slept on the floor.

Hwasa brought some snacks for supper. Both worked till quite late at night; usually reached home around 10 in the evening. Tonight, Moonbyul would be a little late. She had found a temporary job as a food delivery driver.

Just then, someone pressed the bell. Hwasa was puzzled. Who would have come? Nobody else knew about their accommodation. Nevertheless, she grabbed an umbrella behind the door and looked through the keyhole. She was surprised to find Wheein instead. She immediately opened the door.

“Wheein?”

“Hey! Can I come in?”

“How did you locate us?”

“I’m a lawyer. I have a lot of moles?”

“Moles?”

“Yes, those sneaky guys who helped us to find or locate people?”

“I thought only gangsters do that?”

“Oh, believe me. The lawyers need such moles to help us. Anyway, things are not getting lighter, so may I?”

Hwasa noticed the groceries bag Wheein was holding in both arms. Looked like she wiped out the supermarket.

“Oh, sure, come in.”

Wheein quickly walked in and dumped the groceries bags on the coffee table. Hwasa didn’t have a dining table. Wheein then looked around; she was frowning most of the time.

“How much are you paying for this place?”

“Around $3,000 per month?”

“WHAT?!”

“It’s fine with us. We don’t really need huge place. Both of us are working most of the time. We just need a place to sleep.”

“But that’s a steep price for such awfully small apartment.”

“No worries, we’re doing great. Anyway, what are you doing here?”

“Oh. I got you some groceries.”

“Why?”

“I thought I could help a little.”

Hwasa looked through the groceries; she saw plenty of ramen; instant rice and many other things. This would help them with their expenses. Hwasa was touched but at the same time; felt useless. And Wheein was quick to notice that.

“Hang on. We bought this because we felt that we should help out.”

“We?”

“Both Yongsun unnie and I went to the supermarket earlier on. We got mostly some dried food; canned food that both you and Moonbyul unnie might like.”

“Yongsun unnie is worried for Moonbyul?”

Wheein nodded. She studied Hwasa’s facial expressions and realized that the woman in front of her looked exhausted.

“I’m worried about you too.”

Hwasa grinned then shook her head. She reached out for Wheein’s arms and pulled her closer. She gave the shorter woman a quick hug before pulling away.

“I’m doing great. And I love my job. I enjoy doing it so you don’t have to worry about it.”

“I can help you to find a better job.”

“No, Wheein. I’m fine with whatever I’m doing now. It’s time for me to grow up; I’m so used to live under the same roof as my father; I didn’t get to learn to be independent.”

“Alright, I understand. By the way, where is Moonbyul unnie?”

“You should worry more about that Moonfart.”

“Why? What is she doing now?”

“She has a part-time job.”

“What? After her gruelling daily job?”

“Yeah, she said she got a job as food delivery. She will die of exhaustion soon if she continues.”

“Why is she working so hard for?”

“She wants to save up and buy an apartment for Yongsun unnie.”

And Yongsun was just outside the apartment; she heard everything. She was parking her car earlier on after she sent Wheein up to the apartment first.

“Unnie?”

Hwasa finally noticed Yongsun outside the door. She invited her in and was surprised when Yongsun grabbed both of her hands.

“Where is she working now?”

Hwasa and Wheein looked at each other.

-

Moonbyul had her final delivery and drove her bike back to the stall. She was just working for few hours; from 7pm – 11pm. Those 4 precious hours helped her to earn a couple hundred at least. She thanked her boss before grabbing the food packet given by the lady boss.

“Moonbyul, bring this home. You look so tired. You don’t have to come back tomorrow. I’m closing the shop for a family event.”

“Oh, okay. I’ll see you next week then.”

She got some Chinese food in the packet and was eager to share it with Hwasa. But even before she could leave the place, a car horn could be heard. Moonbyul looked up and saw a familiar car parked just outside of the stall.

Then someone got out from the car. Moonbyul was stunned to find that someone was Yongsun. Her mind went blank as Yongsun approached her before she stood in front of Moonbyul.

Yongsun looked at her from head to toe. Moonbyul has grown thinner from the last time she saw her. Her cheeks were sunken, and her eyes were red and watery. The shirt she was wearing was hanging loosely around her shoulders; her hands were rough and dirty; her hair was messy. She was no longer the same Moonbyul.

“Yong unnie? What are you doing here?”

Moonbyul was really surprised to find Yongsun standing in front of her.

“Are you done with your work?”

“Yeah, I’m heading home actually.”

“I’ll send you home.”

“Huh?”

“Get in the car.”

Yongsun turned around and walked back to her car; Moonbyul stood there for a few seconds before Yongsun called out to her again.

“What are you still doing there? Come on. It’s getting late.”

“Oh, okay.”

Moonbyul cautiously got into Yongsun’s car. She didn’t want to dirty the car’s interior. But Yongsun had already grabbed a towel from her back seat and a packet of kimbap. She passed it to Moonbyul.

“Wipe your sweat and eat this kimbap.”

Moonbyul listened to her and did what she was told. She wiped her perspiration away and took a small bite of the kimbap. This was her first meal for the night. It was delicious so she ended up gobbling the whole thing down .

Yongsun was driving and the atmosphere in the car was rather silent. Moonbyul wondered if she had done wrong because Yongsun’s expression was a little grim.

“Is that kimbap your first meal today?”

Yongsun suddenly spoke up. Moonbyul shook her head.

“No, but it’s my first meal for the night. I didn’t eat dinner.”

“Why didn’t you?”

“I didn’t have time. I just grabbed some bread earlier on before heading to my part time job.”

“Why do you need two jobs?”

Moonbyul kept her silence. She wanted to prove to Yongsun that she could do it but she knew Yongsun was not in the mood. Her voice was tired but firm.

“Tell me, Moon Byulyi. Why do you need to work two jobs?”

“I want to save up and buy you an apartment.”

Yongsun sighed.

“I told you before. You should prove to me that you can take good care of yourself.”

“I am.”

“No, you’re not. You’re destroying your body. Look at your hands. They are so rough, and your nails are chipped. You have scars all over your arms and your skin has gotten worse because of the sun exposure.”

“You know where I work?”

“Yes, Wheein told me.”

“Oh.”

“I don’t need you to buy me an apartment. I just want you to live your life properly; taking care of your life; your body and your mind. I don’t need you to earn so much money just for me and Minhyuk. I just want you to earn enough for yourself; then save up for your own use before you can think about me or Minhyuk.”

“Are you mad at me?”

“No, I’m worried. I’m really worried about you.”

Moonbyul was taken aback at first but her heart started to feel warm. This was the first time ever Yongsun had shown her concern.

“I’m doing fine, Yong Unnie. I promise you. I will not fall sick.”

They finally reached Moonbyul’s apartment. Yongsun stopped the car and turned off the engine. Then she turned to look at Moonbyul; her eyes were tired and Yongsun could see Moonbyul’s chiselled cheek bones prominently.

She gently caressed Moonbyul’s left cheek; leaving the younger woman smiling gently. Her warmth comforted Moonbyul’s hard day. She leaned in; savouring all Yongsun’s warmth from that touch alone.

“I’m okay. Don’t worry about me.”

“You’re thinner now.”

“I promise you. I will not get hurt while working.”

Yongsun sighed before turning to face the front. She had been thinking about this for the longest time. She had even discussed with her father and he has agreed to her suggestion.

“Leave your job tomorrow.”

Moonbyul’s eyes were wide open.

“But that’s the only job I can do.”

“You will work for me.”

“Huh?”

“My father’s operations manager requires an assistant to help him. You will work with him.”

“But Yong unnie, I love my current job.”

“But I love you more and it hurts to see you taking jobs that are meant for men.”

Moonbyul kept her silence.

“Do it for me. Please.”

-

“Huh?”

“You’re going to work for Yongsun unnie. With Moonbyul unnie.”

“Why?”

“Her operations department need people. She feels safer if Moonbyul works in the office. She hates it so much when I told her Moonbyul is working for a construction company.”

Hwasa smiled.

“She still loves Moonbyul.”

“She does. And she always has.”

“So, what am I going to do? What’s my role?”

“An assistant to the manager. The manager requires two assistants to help him. Yongsun unnie’s company has won some projects in Singapore. So, they will require more hands.”

“Wheein ah, both of you have been helping us. Did you two just create jobs for us?”

“Even if we are, I think it’s fine. And I prefer you work during office hours.”

“Huh? Why?”

“Then I can easily visit you!”

Wheein was smiling widely. It seems like Wheein loves this idea a lot. Hwasa couldn’t help but laughing.

“And one more thing.”

“What is it?”

“Can you come back and stay with me?”

“What? Then where will Moonbyul unnie live?”

“With Yongsun unnie. We have arranged it like that.”

Hwasa was baffled.

-

“You want me to stay with you?”

“Yes.”

“Why?”

“So that you can spend more time with Minhyuk and you have ample of space to move around. Your current apartment is too small for you and Hwasa.”

“Then where will Hwasa stay?”

“She has Wheein.”

Moonbyul narrowed her eyes at Yongsun.

“What are you planning to do to me?”

“I’m not going to do anything to me. You still haven’t completed your first mission.”

“But you’re asking me to stay with you.”

“You’re paying rent.”

“Oh.”

“Is that good enough?”

“Okay, if I need to pay rent, then I’ll agree.”

“Great. You will pay rent, buy groceries and pick up Minhyuk from school. You can take public transport. I need the car for work.”

“Deal.”

Yongsun was about to step out from the car door before she pulled Moonbyul in again. The younger woman almost fell over.

“One more thing.”

“What?”

“I’m setting ground rules.”

“Which is?”

“We will not enter each other’s room unless necessary. We are friends.”

“Got it.”

“But I’m waiting for you to win me over, Moon Byulyi. Once you can prove to me that you can get your own nice apartment, I’ll come back to you.”

Moonbyul nodded with determination.

“Trust me. I’ll win you over.”

-