Sequel 18

I love you a thousand times (FINALLY ENDED)

Wheein was at her office. She was supposed to concentrate on a case that she has been working on, but she couldn’t concentrate. Her mind was filled with Hwasa. Things shouldn’t be this complicated but Wheein couldn’t put her aside. It was nagging at the back of her mind; she really wanted to find out more.

She picked up the phone and dialled for a certain number. Someone answered.

“Oppa, can you assist me on something?”

“What do you need, Wheein?”

“Can you check on someone for me?”

“Sure, what’s her name?”

“Hwasa. She’s from Jeonju. In fact, she should have attended the same schools as me and lived in the same neighbourhood with me too.”

“Alright, I will check on her.”

“Thanks, Oppa.”

She hung up and then leaned against her armchair. She swirled her seat and faced the window instead. There were just too many things happening and it was driving her crazy every single time.  Just then, a text came in. It was from Yongsun.

Wheein’s eyes enlarged and she immediately grabbed her coat. Yongsun was her other trouble. And Yongsun wasn’t thinking straight anymore. She informed her secretary that she would be out for the day and if there’s anything urgent, just to call her.

She left in a huff and sped all the way to Yongsun’s place. She managed to reach Yongsun’s place in 45 minutes. Yongsun was shocked to see her.

“Did you speed again?”

“What are you doing?”

“Answer my question, Wheein.”

“Unnie, I sped all the way here because of your text message. What are you planning to do now? Why are you packing up?”

“I can’t stay here; in Korea anymore. I must leave with Minhyuk. I need to give him a better place; a chance to live as a happy child. Lately, everything has been such a mess. And I can’t take it anymore.”

“Then what about Moonbyul?”

Yongsun ceased her movements as she closed her eyes tightly. Tears fell from the corner of her eyes; it hurt instantly the moment Wheein mentioned her name. But between her precious son and Moonbyul; Yongsun would rather give up everything else just for her precious boy.

“I have lived without Moonbyul for the last 5 years and I still survive. Yes, I struggled like , but I survived. But I can’t do this to Minhyuk. He’s my everything. He has taken over his mother’s place and my life is devoted to him.”

“Then what about me? Do you really think it’s fair that you’re leaving me too?”

“Wheein ah.”

“I gave you up so that you could live happily with her and Minhyuk. Is my sacrifice that worthless?”

Yongsun bit her lower lip. She knew she was selfish but seeing Wheein being disappointed with her; Yongsun’s heart ached so badly. She put her things away before leaning closer to Wheein. She wrapped her arms around Wheein and the younger woman rested her head on Yongsun’s shoulder.

“No, Wheein. You mean so much to me. I want happiness for you, but you know, I’m not the one who can provide all that for you. I can’t even give Minhyuk the best of everything; now I don’t have confidence that I could love again.”

 “Unnie, Minhyuk is a child. He’s only 5-6 years old? He will get over this; I mean he’s confused for now but I’m sure he will get over it. The only thing that is stopping you is because you have no confidence in Moonbyul anymore.”

“How can I when she’s not doing anything?”

“Trust me, she’s going to do something about this. Please, don’t leave. I need you, Unnie. I’m having a difficult time here and if you’re not here with me, I don’t think I can get through this.”

“Is this about Hwasa?”

“I cannot remember her existence in my life. I tried and tried to recall but nothing comes to my mind.”

Yongsun gently kissed Wheein’s cheek and then gently squeezed Wheein in her embrace.

“Take your time, Wheein. I’m sure your memory will return one day.”

“So, you will stay with me and help me find it?”

Yongsun stared at Wheein; she couldn’t bear to leave Wheein when she was so distressed like this. She nodded.

“Stay. Give your heart a chance to love all over again.  Give Minhyuk a chance to get to know his mother.”

“He hates her.”

“Then you should be the one who bridge them together.”

Yongsun was perplexed.

-

Moonbyul was in her car; she was driving around Seoul aimlessly. She needed to get her together and find the best way to win Yongsun’s heart. Yongsun was faking her amnesia. She was too terrified to let Moonbyul back into her life. And she was waiting for Moonbyul to do something.

But the taller woman was helpless. How could she win Yongsun over again? She drove past her old neighbourhood where she first met Yongsun at the kindergarten she was assigned to. Yongsun has now moved on to the corporate world. She has quit her job as a kindergarten teacher and took over her father’s business.

The kindergarten was still around; and she saw kids running around on the vast playground. She smiled as she recalled her past. Moonbyul was the physical activity teacher; she planned their play time and Moonbyul was into sports.

She got out from the car and walked along the fence. The kindergarten still looked the same; nothing changed much, and it was familiar to Moonbyul. She remembered those times when the kids were learning how to play basketball with Moonbyul; Yongsun would stand at the corner; watching Moonbyul being so soft and gentle with the little ones.

She focused her gaze at the same area where Yongsun once stood. Memories lingered on her mind.

-

“Okay, children. Everyone has a ball in your hands?”

Moonbyul looked around; the children were so noisy; some were excited; some were already bouncing the balls around and some were just staring into space. But Moonbyul had a lot of patience; she started running around the court as she dribbled the ball. The boys were in awe. They ran after her; the girls followed through.

“Teacher Moonbyul!”

The kids screamed and shrieked. Some of the boys tried to steal her ball away but Moonbyul was fast and alert. She swirled around and two boys fell on her feet. She was startled at first but when she saw the two boys getting up and ran after her; she scooted off.

“Whoever can catch me and the ball, I’ll give them chocolates later.”

“GOGO!”

“HYUNMIN AH! FASTER RUN!”

Moonbyul laughed as the kids ran after her; like lost lambs. She was so swift that the kids could never grab the ball out of her hands. Play time was always the best time for the children. They would often look forward for Moonbyul’s class. And the next teacher was always grateful towards Moonbyul.

After play time, the kids were scheduled for naptime. They often fell asleep without any fuss. It was the same for today. As Moonbyul ran around; with the kids behind her; someone was watching them with a huge smile on her face. That gentle smile; a feeling of satisfaction as she watched Moonbyul playfully interacting with the kids.

“I got Teacher Moonbyul’s leg!”

Moonbyul was in trouble. Hyunmin, the fastest runner in the group, managed to grab hold of her right thigh. He was fast and strong. Before long, Moonbyul found herself on the ground and 10 kids on top of her. She struggled to breathe but there was a smile on her face.

Moonbyul enjoyed playing with the kids. She managed to grab Hyunmin and tickled him all over. The little boy shrieked in delight and the other kids were laughing and screaming in joy. Moonbyul thought it was the best job ever. Even though she was trained as an assassin but Moonbyul felt that probably being a kindergarten teacher would be a better choice.

“Okay, kids. Teacher Moonbyul is dying over there.”

Moonbyul looked up; and then a huge grin curled at the corner of her lips. The woman of her lifetime; the love of her lifetime was helping her out. Yongsun slowly pulled the kids one by one; off from Moonbyul. Hyunmin was still struggling as Moonbyul tightened her hold on him.

“What are you doing?”

“Hm?”

“Let Hyunmin go.”

“Teacher Yongsun, help me!”

Hyunmin’s hands were waving helplessly in the air. Yongsun flicked Moonbyul’s forehead and the younger woman let go immediately.

“HAH! I’M FREE!”

“COME BACK HERE!”

Moonbyul got up on her feet but Hyunmin ran off almost immediately. The children ran back to their classroom. Play time was over and some of them were dying of thirst. Yongsun was standing there; watching the kids running past her. Moonbyul was grabbing the basketballs and put them into the basket. She then turned and Yongsun was already in front of her.

“Are you okay?”

Moonbyul noticed Yongsun’s watery eyes. She was concerned.

“I’m more than okay. I feel great.”

“Then why are your eyes watery?”

“I was watching you earlier on while you played with the kids. I was just touched.”

“Touched?”

“I was imagining how our kids would be; playing with you and just having this eternal bliss of love and happiness. I was so moved at the mere thought of it.”

Moonbyul smiled before briefly hugged Yongsun. Shen then whispered in her ears.

“You’re so sentimental. Don’t worry, when we have kids together, we will always be happy, and I promise you that I’ll never leave you in the lurch.”

But promises were meant to be broken and she broke all of that.

-

Memories were haunting and unforgivable. Moonbyul’s memories were torturous and so painful that she broke down and cried as she recalled them.

Yongsun’s wish was simple. She just wanted a family with Moonbyul and live happily forever. But, Moonbyul couldn’t give that to her. Just then, her old principal noticed and recognize Moonbyul.

“Moon Byulyi.”

She turned and was taken aback as she came face to face with the kindergarten principal. The woman was one of the nicest people. Moonbyul remembered her as someone who was benevolent and loves children unconditionally.

“Hi, Madam Yoo.”

“Nice seeing you again. How are you?”

“I’m good.”

Madam Yoo’s eyes were soft and gentle. She must have known about Moonbyul’s background. Who wouldn’t? Her case was one of the high profiles’ cases and Wheein won the appeal for her.

“Let’s have coffee. Do you mind if we catch up?”

“Sure. I’d love to.”

-

Hwasa was hiding in Wheein’s room. She declined Moonbyul’s invitation to drive around Seoul. She wanted to be alone. She sat with her knees closed her chest; her eyes were red and swollen. Wheein was still ignoring her calls; her messages and Hwasa felt at her worst.

After the can of worms was opened; Hwasa felt like her world was crashing on her. Wheein was stunned and confused; her reactions were expected. And Hwasa anticipated that but she never realized how painful it was for her to watch Wheein walking away from her.

Her phone rang and Sowon was calling. She answered.

“Hyejin ah, how are you?”

“Sowon ah, Wheein hates me.”

“Huh? What do you mean? You met her?”

“She couldn’t remember me because she lost part of her memories after the accident.”

“Oh no. How are you taking this?”

“I just wished I could turn back the hands of time.”

“Give her some time. I believe Wheein will come around somehow. It was just too sudden for now.”

“How do you know?”

“You and Wheein were inseparable back then. She was so attached to you. It was just unfortunate that she lost her memories but Hyejin ah, you can bring them back.”

“How?”

“Think about the first time you met her. Do you remember the very first time you met her?”

“Yes, I’ll never forget that.”

“Then go with that feeling. Make her feel it too.”

Hyejin pondered.

-

“Minhyuk ah, it’s time for school.”

Yongsun was preparing breakfast at the kitchen. She has decided to put her plans on hold. She promised Wheein that she wouldn’t leave, and she wanted to keep that promise. Wheein was with her when she needed her so badly. Now, Yongsun should repay her.

“Okay~”

Minhyuk was screaming from his bedroom. Yongsun looked at the time and realized she was running late as well. She prepared Minhyuk’s lunch box and dumped into her son’s bag. She then ran back to her room, but someone was pressing the doorbell. She was annoyed at first but Minhyuk was coming down the stairs. She implored her son to check.

“Can you check who’s at the door?”

“Okay, Umma~”

Minhyuk opened the door and he was surprised to find Moonbyul standing in front of him. She was all smiles and she had something in her hands.

“Noona?”

“Are you ready for school?”

“Eh?”

“I can drive you to school and send your Umma to work.”

“Heh?”

“Why are you giving me one-word answers?”

Minhyuk was bewildered but nevertheless, he let Moonbyul in. He looked up the stairs; then turned to Moonbyul.

“Umma is upstairs.”

“I’ll wait here.”

“Minhyuk call her.”

The boy ran up the stairs and Moonbyul was relieved. He wasn’t that hostile like he was before. He was stunned when he saw her at the front door and Moonbyul thought he would lunge at her, but she was glad he didn’t.

Just then, she heard footsteps rushing down the stairs and a stunned Yongsun was staring at her. Minhyuk was behind her.

“Moonbyul-shi?”

“Hi, Yongsun-shi. Good morning. Are you ready?”

“Huh?”

“I’m here to send you to work and Minhyuk to school.”

“What?”

“Why are you the same as your son? Both answering me with one-word answers.”

“No, I mean, what are you doing here?”

“Sending you to work and Minhyuk to school?”

“Did Wheein send you here?”

“No, I came at my own accord.”

-

Yongsun was getting ready for work when Minhyuk stormed into her room. Her lipstick went over her face.

“Umma!”

“Kim Minhyuk! You scared me!”

“Umma, Moonbyul Noona is downstairs.”

“Huh?!”

Yongsun wiped her face clean and ran out of her room. She rushed down the stairs and Minhyuk was right. Moonbyul was calmly standing at the door. Her mind was in a turmoil. She glanced towards her son, but she was surprised the boy didn’t react negatively.

He was just looking at Moonbyul; his eyes were focused on her but there was no signs of distress or anger or anything. It was just a blatant look.

And Moonbyul was all smiles. She wondered what was going through Moonbyul’s mind. What made her so brazen to come here?

“Have you eaten, Minhyuk ah?”

Minhyuk shook his head.

“I got you something.”

“I have made his breakfast.”

Yongsun interrupted her. She knew it was rude of her, but she didn’t want to upset Minhyuk. But to her surprise, the boy walked past her and then stood in front of Moonbyul.

“What did you buy?”

“Mc Donalds?”

Minhyuk’s eyes sparkled. Moonbyul could see he was interested as he peered into the paper bag she was holding. He then turned to his mother.

“Umma, can I eat Mc Donalds today?”

“Huh?”

“I can eat your egg rolls too. Can I have both?”

“You want to eat both?”

“Can I?”

“Sure, if that’s what you want.”

“Okay~”

He then pulled Moonbyul’s pants and the woman lowered herself. She then passed the food to him and he happily skipped into the kitchen. Moonbyul and Yongsun were watching him. Yongsun was extremely stunned.

“Yongsun-shi, do you want to join him?”

“I’m still preparing for work.”

“Okay, then you can eat yours in the office. I’ll see if Minhyuk needs help.”

Yongsun didn’t reply; she was rooted to the ground; bewildered and stunned. She watched as Moonbyul went into the kitchen and witnessed how attentive Moonbyul was on Minhyuk. She stared at them for quite some time. Her heart was aching.

And she was completely surprised with Minhyuk. The boy allowed Moonbyul to assist him and even when Moonbyul carried him to place him properly on the chair; Minhyuk didn’t fight her. He could even thank her.

“What’s going on with my son?”

Yongsun wondered.

-

Moonbyul insisted that she would drive them to school and office respectively. Yongsun declined politely but Minhyuk did otherwise. He grabbed his lunch box and bag as he made his way to Moonbyul’s car. He got onto the back seat and closed the door behind him. Yongsun watched with open.

“Umma, I’m late for school. Let Noona drive us.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah, you’re going to be late if you still standing there, Umma.”

“You can sit behind with Minhyuk if you’re still uncomfortable.”

Moonbyul offered and Yongsun nodded reluctantly. She went over to Moonbyul’s car and got into the backseat as well; next to Minhyuk. Moonbyul smiled softly and took a deep breath. She then got into the driver seat and drove off immediately.

The ride was quiet; and almost uncomfortable. But Minhyuk was on his ipad; playing with his games. And Yongsun, she was staring out of the window. Moonbyul was watching her from the rear mirror.

Her heart skipped a beat when their eyes met briefly before Yongsun looked away instantly. Things were still awkward but Moonbyul was happy. At least Yongsun was in the car with her.

“Umma, are you working late today?”

“Most likely. I’ll ask Mommy Wheein to fetch you.”

Minhyuk gave a thoughtful look before he turned to Moonbyul. He pouted his lips before he opened his mouth.

“Noona, are you working?”

“No.”

“So are you free to pick Minhyuk from school later?”

“Minhyuk ah, Noona is busy.”

“No, I’m not. I can pick Minhyuk up from school.”

Yongsun turned. She was getting a little uncomfortable with Moonbyul but Minhyuk was the one who made her extremely confused with his behaviour.

“Okay, can Noona pick Minhyuk up from school today, Umma?”

Yongsun’s heart was halved. Minhyuk seemed hopeful. She sighed.

“Okay but you must promise you will behave.”

“Minhyuk promised!”

“Moonbyul-shi, I… you may pick him up. Should I pass you my house keys?”

“Oh, it’s okay. I’ll bring him over to Wheein’s place. I’m staying there temporarily. Wheein can pick him up later if she wants.”

“That’ll be great. Thank you.”

Moonbyul was smiling. Minhyuk was helping her a lot. She saw his eyes; he was staring at her. And Moonbyul understood his gaze. She nodded; determined to win Yongsun’s heart over.

-

Hwasa was in the kitchen. She was cooking lunch because Moonbyul texted her. She was surprised at first but was genuinely happy that Moonbyul was taking steps to bring her family back together.

But she was perplexed of her own problem. Wheein. Jung Wheein. The love of her life. That one-woman Hwasa wanted more than anything else. What should she do? How could she bring Wheein back into her life and promise Wheein a lifetime of happiness?

Just then, her father called and Hwasa answered with a smile on her face.

“Appa~”

“Hyejin ah, how are you settling down in Seoul?

“It has been great.”

“Sowon called me.”

“Oh.”

“Are you still having issues communicating with Wheein?”

“She cannot remember me, Appa.”

“Hyejin ah, do you remember what you told me before? How you fell in love with Wheein?”

“Yeah, I remember.”

“Hyejin ah, make Wheein fall in love with you.”

“How? How could I do that?”

“You need to find something in her past; in your past that will jolt her memory back. The accident might have caused so much unhappiness that Wheein blocked out most of her memories of you.”

Hyejin’s mind started thinking fast.

“Hyejin ah, look beyond this. Search your heart and then you’ll find an answer. If you really want her back in your life, then wow her. Take her back to the past and let her slowly understand your heart.”

Hyejin was pondering once again. Sowon and her father were urging her to be brave. Hyejin admitted she was a little sceptical, but she was afraid of failures. But she realized that she was the one who failed Wheein.

She needed to step up her game or she might risk losing Wheein forever.

-

“Wheein, Hwasa is her stage name. Her real name is Anh Hyejin.”

“Anh Hyejin?”

“Yeah, she was your best friend in school. You spent a lot of time with her and were inseparable.”

“She was my best friend?”

“Yup, according to your ex-school mates, Hyejin and Wheein were the most popular duo in school. You used to do things together so much that people assumed the two of you were in love.”

Wheein stared blankly into space. So, Hwasa was a stage name and her real name is Hyejin. Anh Hyejin. Then her eyes shot wide open. She quickly grabbed her belongings and ran past her secretary.

“I’ll be out today. Anything, call or text me.”

And then she left immediately. She drove off instantly and sped home. Wheein recalled seeing two wrist bands. One was with her name and the other was Anh Hyejin. Back then, Wheein was confused and couldn’t recall the name, Anh Hyejin. So, she put the wristbands away; and then forgotten about it till today. Till that name was mentioned.

She reached her place, but she took a pause. She wasn’t too sure if Hwasa was at home; so she called Moonbyul.

“Hi Wheein~”

“Hey Byul, are you girls at home?”

“No, I’m on the way back home. Hwasa has just left the house. She said she had to go somewhere.”

“Okay, thanks.”

She hung up and then proceeded to enter the house. Indeed, nobody was around. But she saw some food on the table. Hwasa must have prepared them. Wheein went to her room and pulled out a box above her cupboard. She then left her place; fearing Hwasa would return home soon.

Ever since the confession, Wheein was avoiding Hwasa. She wasn’t ready to face the woman yet. Until she sorted out her own issues. She drove to the beach and then stopped at one of the parking lots. Nobody was around since it was a working day.  It would be a good place for Wheein to pull out those things that she found unfamiliar.

There were many belongings in her possession. But Wheein had never opened them; even her old diary. Wheein was afraid that she might get upset or found out something that she might not wish to know. As much as she was curious of her past, Wheein felt it was better to leave it as that.

Now, Hwasa appeared. Wheein knew she had to force herself to look back into her past. Her heart has been aching for the longest time and she had the biggest urge to embrace Hwasa. But she was terrified.

She managed to locate the wrist bands. She pulled them out from the plastic and took a closer look. Indeed, one of the wrist band had her name and the other – Anh Hyejin. She bit her lower lip as she stared at Hyejin’s wrist band. Was this a proof that Hyejin or Hwasa was indeed her best friend.

She then pulled out another plastic. This time, it was her old diary which she had never open or look inside. But now, she knew. She had to. She turned the pages of her dusty old diary; she saw a photo. A photo of her and another girl that looked a lot like Hwasa. Her hands shook as she turned to some random page. It read:

Dear Diary,

I realized something.

And I thought I was just being crazy.

I fall in love. I fell in love. And it was fast-falling.

I never expect this to happen, but it did.

And it’s kinda exciting because I fell in love with my best friend.

My best friend, Hyejinie.

I wish I could tell her the truth.

But I know this is wrong.

And I know she wouldn’t feel the same.

Although we kiss all the time.

-

Moonbyul was driving back to Wheein’s place. She recalled those moments alone with Yongsun after she dropped Minhyuk off at his school. She could sense that Yongsun was uncomfortable and feeling awkward. And Moonbyul was desperate to say something.

“Yongsun-shi.”

“Hm?”

Yongsun was only focusing out of the window. Never once she turned to look at Moonbyul or look anywhere near Moonbyul. Her eyes were fixed at the view outside of the car window.

It was suffocating for Moonbyul and she knew it was the same for Yongsun too. Suddenly she was tongue-tied. But Moonbyul was determined to have a conversation with Yongsun.

“Is everything okay?”

“Yeah, it’s fine.”

“Are you mad at me for intruding into your personal space this morning?”

Yongsun finally turned to look at Moonbyul. Minhyuk forced Yongsun to sit in the front with Moonbyul. So, she didn’t have a choice.

“What do you mean?”

“I came to your house uninvited and then sent you to work in my car. You must have felt suffocated.”

“It’s just awkward.”

“Things between us have frizzled so much, isn’t it?”

“I don’t remember much.”

“Did you really forget me, Yongsun?”

Yongsun kept her silence.

“I don’t mind if you do. Then it gives me a better advantage.”

“What do you mean by that?”

“It gives me a chance to win you over and make you fall in love with me even more than before.”

Yongsun stared at Moonbyul for the longest time. Then she sighed softly.

“I’m not too sure what happened back then but I heard from Wheein, it has been 5 years since we had been estranged. Perhaps 5 years were just too short to continue anything anymore. Besides, I have Wheein.”

Those words cut Moonbyul’s heart deeply. How much pain did Yongsun endure that she had to pretend not to remember Moonbyul and avoid her at all cost?

“I must have hurt you a lot.”

“Maybe.”

“But I’m not giving up.”

“Why?”

“Because I love you. And you belong to me. You’re mine. And I’m not going to give away what’s mine.”

-

Hwasa was walking along the beach; Wheein’s favourite place. And also hers. It was the only place in this world that both could seek solace and find tranquillity. It was the same place where both used to share many wonderful things and the deepest friendship.

And it was the same time where Hwasa found and realized that she was falling in love with Wheein. It was a hot Summer day and the pair skipped school to hang out together. It was Hyejin’s first time being rebellious. But she didn’t care.

They held hands; walked together; skin to skin and at times, Wheein would engulf Hyejin with her arms. It was the perfect day; the perfect day to fall in love and Hyejin did.

“Hyejin ah, come over here!”

Wheein was running along the beach; without her shoes. She was running along the waves and Hyejin ran after her. It was so peaceful; so solitary. It was just her and Wheein.

“Wheein, hang on!”

“Keep up, Hyejin ah!”

“You know I hate running.”

“You’re so weak!”

Hyejin stopped abruptly and stared at her best friend. Wheein was puzzled at first but then realized when she saw Hyejin pouting. She then ran back to Hyejin and put her arms around her friend.

“Are you being sulky?”

“You call me weak.”

“Hyejin, you are.”

“Just because you can run faster than me; doesn’t mean I’m weak.”

“I’m sorry. You’re not that weak but I like you this way.”

“Huh? Why?”

Wheein leaned closer; stared deeply into Hyejin’s eyes and then her lone dimple appeared at the side of her cheek. Her sweet gentle smile sent a shock straight into Hyejin’s heart.

“So that I can protect you with all of my heart.”

Hyejin has fallen.

-