Position Evaluation Pt. 3

It's Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Youngjae peeked his head into one of the practice rooms, cheering silently when he found an empty one. It seemed almost impossible to find a spot to practice alone when everybody seemed to be practicing every single moment of the day. It was only until the early hours of the morning, around 4AM when all of the trainees had finally retired to their dorms.

He sang to himself as he walked around the room, trying to focus on getting his pitch precisely right. Doing something that required a lot of precision took a lot of hard work, singing the same line over and over again for thirty minutes until he would be satisfied and moving on to the next line.

Somewhere in between talking to himself and singing, Sungwoon had joined him for practice. Youngjae smiled at him but he could feel the awkwardness coming from the older. They had never really interacted throughout the show, and this was the first time they'd been in the same practice room alone. Even when they were both in A, they had already seemed to flock towards their own respective friends. Even now, being in the same team, they still hadn't really got a proper chance to bond and were still awkward around each other.

An unspoken battle seemed to have developed between the two of them, both of them singing through the entire song by themselves. Youngjae would showcase his range and show off his high notes while Sungwoon showcased how loud he could sing, filling the room with his voice. It carried on until the end of the song, Youngjae sitting down in exhaustion first.

Sungwoon followed him not long after, lying down next to the younger male.

Youngjae massaged his throat, reaching for his water bottle laying nearby. Sungwoon looked around, groaning when he realized that he forgot his own water bottle, trying to calm his breathing.

The younger male noticed Sungwoon's problem, handing the older his bottle, letting him consume the rest. Sungwoon smiled gratefully, drinking the rest of the liquid.

"This is tough," Youngjae commented, lying down completely on the ground. His head was slightly uncomfortable against the hard floor, but he was grateful there were no cameras around to see his exhausted state.

"You're tired over this?" Sungwoon asked, breathing heavily as well.

"Not the practice," Youngjae confessed.

"Then what?"

"Singing." Sungwoon looked in surprise at the younger male, confused at his reasons. "I don't know why but I'm afraid of singing now."

"Come on," Sungwoon smiled, nudging Youngjae. "You got lots of compliments today.

"I feel like it was a lot of pressure." Youngae breathed out, closing his eyes. "Even though I know that I'm best at singing, I don't know if I'm as good as I think I am, especially seeing everyone else here. Before I was like, "I'm the ," but after coming here it's a huge reality check. For once, believing in myself just isn't enough. I'm losing confidence in myself."

A silence enveloped the two of them, Youngjae trying not to let any tears escape his eyes. Sungwoon understood the younger, turning on his side so that he could wipe away the lone tear going down the younger's face.

"I get it. Maybe it's because I need to be the center in order to survive, but there are already some people who don't think I'll be able to handle it. It's sad because I want to have more parts, but people don't think I can pull them off. I've lo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter