BONUS CHAPTER 2

It's Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


Daehwi and Youngjae pairing, alternate universe.

Featuring appearances from: Kim Donghyun, Im Youngmin, Park Jihoon, Bae Jinyoung, Ha Sungwoon, Noh Taehyun, Kim Yongguk, Joo Haknyeon, Park Woojin, Ahn Hyungseob.

Jung Youngjae felt his mouth go dry as he stared at the beautifully decorated house. Specks of snow dotted his vision, snowflakes covering the house like fairy lights. He hesitantly stepped out of his car, welcoming in the fresh breeze of Seoul rushing against his face, and made way for the door, leaving soft tracks in the snow.

'It's good to be home after all this time, isn't it?' He thought to himself as he unbuckled his seat belt and exited his car.

'Yeah,' Youngjae thought happily. 'Yeah, it is.'

--

"Welcome home, JaeJae~" Kim Donghyun greeted him with a large smile and a peck on the check. "How have you been?"

Youngjae smiled up at the older man, taking in his still young appearance and then moving his gaze towards everyone else who were busy decorating every inch of the large house with holly and wreaths and mistletoe.

It was only the twenty-third of December and they still haven't decorated. Usually Daehwi would have insisted to start decorating the month before but even he seemed to have procrastinate in honor of the holidays.

"I'm fine, thanks hyung," He answered. "How are you and Youngmin hyung?"

"Busy," Donghyun sighed, pulling away from him, putting a hand on his forehead and shaking it in disappointment. "There's been a lot of things happening recently and on top of that, work is letting down at all. I've only managed to get a few days off including New Years and then I'm right back into it. Not to mention only the outside of the house has been decorated and I've been rushing to buy all the things and event when I have a moment of rest, I have to get ready for the party! When I see Youngmin, I'm going to kill him because he still hasn't apologised for almost blowing up the microwave. He better not be anywhere near the kitchen."

Youngjae gave a laugh, not at all feeling offended that Youngmin wasn't around to welcome him back. He had already called and said that he won't be home because he's too busy getting his and Donghyun's engagement rings.

It's been a year since he's returned home for Christmas, and honestly, it felt as if nothing has changed.

"Youngjae!"

But it has.

"Daehwi!" Youngjae smiled up at his adorable friend, who was waving at him from the top of the holly-clad stairs.

"How is Jeju-do?" Daehwi asked as he hurried himself down the stairs. "How are you? Are you staying for good?"

Youngjae could only beam at his friend, forcing himself to stay standing where he was, waiting for Daehwi to fling his warm arms around him. Usually, he would have met Daehwi halfway up those stairs with a large smile on his face and tears practically pouring out of his eyes; but then again, should things have been like they were usually, he wouldn't have gone to Jeju-do for a year.

"It took you a while," Youngjae teased Daehwi as the other male flung himself at him, resulting in both of them falling on the floor. "How've you been?"

As Daehwi listed off everything important that happened throughout the year as they walked up stairs, Youngjae couldn't trust himself to say a word. Daehwi was trying so hard to pretend that nothing happened between them a year ago and Youngjae was terrified that he would say something that made them even more awkward. He didn't want anymore uncomfortable emotions between himself and Daehwi, it would only break them further apart.

"I managed to let Donghyun-hyung to let us share a room again." Daehwi said with slight nostalgia as they turned towards their room. "It took a lot but I put it back the way we both like it."

"You didn't have to," Youngjae managed to keep the bitterness out of his voice as he brushed his bangs from his eyes, walking past the door without sparing it a glance.

Daehwi was silent and Youngjae turned to find that he stopped walking.

"You feel far away, Jae."

Youngjae stopped as well, clenching his fists tightly for a moment before raising his eyes to meet Daehwi's strong gaze head on.

"You're being stupid," He gave the other a smile, loosening his fists and rubbing his nape nervously. "I just had a long flight and the food was awful."

He took a step towards Daehwi and a placed a soft on his shoulder.

"That reminds me, HwiHwi," Youngjae spoke, pulling away quickly while they continued to walk along the length of the hallway. "How is Hyungseob?"

Daehwi shrugged and muttered, "Woojin hyung finally confessed his feelings."

"They're finally together?!" Youngjae said in surprise, ignoring the nagging voice in his head to shut up.

"Yeah," Daehwi ran a hand through his grown locks of hair. "They got together around Valentines Day. Hyungseob only reminds us of that every other day."

Youngjae let out a polite life as they continued to stroll around the large house, exchanging stories that happened during the year he spent on Jeju-do.

He has left for Jeju-do the day after their Christmas dinner, stating that he applied for and gotten a job working as a wedding planner's assistant. He personally didn't care for any job but after he had met Eunae and her passion, he had decided that because he didn't have one of his own, he would support someone who found something they loved doing. His life on the island was simple. It wasn't extravagant in any sense, and there were times he wished he was back home with everyone else.

"Welcome home, Jae~" Jinyoung and Jihoon waved as he passed them. Jinyoung was in charge of baking cookies while Jihoon was in charge of making sure Jinyoung didn't make a huge mess in the kitchen.

He had only passed the doorway when he heard Jihoon mutter, "He looks so much better after going to Jeju, maybe we should try it."

"I'm game," Youngjae heard Jinyoung agree before they were out of earshot.

"Hey Youngjae,"

Youngjae glanced towards Haknyeon, the older looking at him in delight.

"Hey hyung, how have you been?"

After a quick exchange of hugs and greetings, Haknyeon finally let him go.

"Where's Daehwi?" His dark eyes glimmered. "You two would never go anywhere without the other, what changed?"

Panic rose in his chest when Daehwi came into view behind Haknyeon. At first glance, Daehwi looked emotionless but after a calculating moment, his expression turned into one of darkness that was seeping through his facade.

"Daehwi?" Youngjae reached in the other's direction, making Haknyeon turn in surprise as well.

Just as his fingers brushed against the other's arm, Daehwi tore away from him and ran down the hall, accidentally knocking over Yongguk was sitting on Sungwoon's shoulders who was standing on Taehyun's hunched over form. Youngjae followed him closely, sparing his hyungs a quick greeting, before following after Daehwi's footsteps.

"Jae, what are you doing? Is something the matter?"

Youngjae stopped and turned to find Donghyun standing behind him, a worried look on his face. He managed to spare a smile and replied quietly, "We're fine, hyung."

Donghyun shot him a look as if to say, 'Do you really think you can lie to me?'

Instead, the older let out a sigh and said briskly, "Okay then. The party's about to start soon so go and get ready."

"Yes hyung," Youngjae resigned as he started heading up to his shared room with Daehwi. "I'll see you later."

-- 

Youngjae stood to the side, holding a glass juice as he watched everyone interact with each other, multiple hugs and greetings being exchanged.

He sighed as he recalled last Christmas when he felt like himself and interacted with everyone. Now, he was being so falsely polite that he knew that he was getting some worried glances and concerned looks.

"Youngjae?"

Youngjae turned towards the voice, recognising it immediately, a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter