Trying to fit in

Forbidden Love (Daebaek)

Daehyun had a hard time sleeping that night. He kept hearing howling and thought about the wolf outside his window. He thought it was weird how the wolf was so calm when he looked at him. He didn't look hungry or mad.

Daehyun shrugged it off and went downstairs to eat breakfast. He was the first one up, so he was able to eat in peace.

He got dressed after he ate, and got ready to go to his new school. After what happened yesterday, he wasn't excited about going. He hoped Yongguk and his group wouldn't be at his new school. But he was afraid they would be.

Daehyun grabbed his backpack and left the house. As he walked down the driveway, he was surprised to see Suho standing there waiting for him.

'Hi Daehyun'. Suho smiled.

'Hi'. Daehyun walked over to him. 'I'm surprised you're out here'.

'I figured we could walk to school together since it's your first time there'.

Daehyun nodded. 'Where's the other boys?'

'They'll be here shortly.' Suho said as they started walking down the road.

Then as if on cue, Daehyun saw the other boys walking towards them. He looked at all of them hoping to see Baekhyun. Baekhyun was the last one to join them. He kept his distance from Daehyun. Daehyun sighed and kept walking next to Suho.

'So, how long have you known Yongguk's group?' Daehyun asked.

'Too long'. Suho replied.

'Have they always been like that?'

'Not always. But for the last few years they have'.

'Why do they target the new people?'

'They want everyone to know who's in charge. It makes them feel better about themselves'.

Daehyun looked at the ground as he walked. 'Why aren't you afraid of them?'

Suho smiled. 'We can handle them. They're not as tough as they think they are. Besides, there's more of us than there are of them'.

Daehyun smiled. 'That's true. They'd be stupid to mess with you'.

Suho nodded.

 

They made their way to school. Daehyun got his schedule from the office. Suho looked at Daehyun's schedule over his shoulder.

'Your first class is with Xiumin'. Suho said.

Xiumin linked arms with Daehyun. 'I'll show you where it's at'. He said as he dragged Daehyun with him.

Xiumin and Suho exchanged glances with each other quickly before Suho left for his class.

 

Xiumin didn't let go of Daehyun till they were in the classroom.

'You can sit next to me'. Xiumin smiled at Daehyun.

Daehyun smiled back and sat down next to Xiumin. He put his backpack next to him.

Daehyun looked around the room and noticed one of the boys from Yongguk's group. Daehyun tapped Xiumin's shoulder. 'Isn't he from Yongguk's group?'

Xiumin looked over and nodded. 'Yeah, that's Jongup. Doesn't say much. Mostly does whatever Yongguk tells him to do'.

'I didn't think they'd actually show up to school'.

'Just like the neighborhood, they think they rule the school too'. Xiumin rolled his eyes and turned his attention to the teacher when he walked in the room.

 

All day long, Daehyun had at least one or two members of Suho's group in all his classes. The morning classes he had Xiumin, Lay, Chen, D.O and Chanyeol. (He also had a couple classes with the rest of the boys from Yongguk's group). Then they had their lunch break. Daehyun sat with Suho's group. He sat across from Baekhyun, stealing glances of him every now and then. But Baekhyun ignored him. He didn't understand why Baekhyun was so quiet around him. From what Daehyun saw, Baekhyun was hyper and talkative to everyone else.

Daehyun focused on eating and getting through the rest of the day. His afternoon classes he had Kai, Suho and Sehun. Daehyun wondered why he hadn't seen Baekhyun since lunch.

Daehyun went to his last class. He looked for a seat and stopped when he saw Baekhyun sitting by the window. Daehyun felt his heart beat faster as he got closer to Baekhyun.

Baekhyun was staring out the window not paying attention to what was going on around him.

'Can I sit next to you?' Daehyun asked. His voice coming out weak.

Baekhyun turned to him and shrugged. 'I guess'.

Daehyun pulled the chair out and sat down. Baekhyun had turned his attention back towards the window.

Daehyun sighed and put his head on the desk. He hated he couldn't think of anything to say to Baekhyun.

 

As he sat there, he heard someone get closer to him. He didn't react till he felt someone grab his neck. Daehyun looked up and saw Yongguk.

'Well, looks like we have a class together'.

Daehyun struggled to get out of Yongguk's grasp. 'Looks like I found the one who's doing my homework for the rest of the year'. Yongguk smiled.

Daehyun glared at him. 'I'm not doing your work for you'.

'You're not going to follow my rules?' Yongguk was getting angry.

But before Daehyun could reply, he felt Yongguk's grip loosen on him. He looked over and saw Baekhyun had grabbed Yongguk and was holding his arm behind his back. 

'Didn't Suho tell you to leave him alone?' Baekhyun asked.

'Suho is not here'. Yongguk said trying to get free.

'But I am'. Baekhyun said as he tightened his grip on Yongguk. 'You hurt Daehyun, we hurt you. Got it?'

Yongguk glared at Baekhyun but nodded. 

Baekhyun looked at Yongguk carefully and let him go. 'Just be glad we're at school'. Baekhyun whispered to Yongguk. 'Otherwise I would of done a lot worse'.

 

Daehyun was rubbing his neck as Baekhyun went over to him and sat back down in his seat.

'You ok?' Baekhyun asked.

Daehyun looked at him and nodded. 'Yeah, I'll be fine'.

'Sorry I didn't get there sooner'.

'Why are you and the rest of the group so protective of me?'

Baekhyun looked at the table. 'It's hard to explain. But just be grateful we're looking out for you'.

'I am. Thank you'. Daehyun smiled.

Baekhyun turned back to the window.

'Can I ask you something?' Daehyun looked at Baekhyun.

'Hmm?' Baekhyun said not looking away from the window.

'Are you always this quiet around new people?'

'No. I just have a lot on my mind'.

'Like what?'

Baekhyun turned to him. 'None of your business'.

Daehyun looked at him shocked. 'Sorry I asked. I just thought we were trying to be friends'.

'Don't waste your time trying to be friends with us'.

'Why not?' Daehyun was confused.

'We're only protecting you till Yongguk's group leaves you alone. Once they do, we'll protect the next person'.

'Why don't you stay friends with the people you help?'

Baekhyun shook his head. 'Just trust me. It's better if we're not friends. I'll protect you, but please don't try to be more with me or the rest of the boys'.

Daehyun looked away. 'Ok. I'll stay away if it's easier for you'.

Baekhyun sighed. 'Look, I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'm just thinking of your safety'.

'It's ok. I get it'. Daehyun fake smiled.

 

When the class was over, Daehyun got up and headed towards the door. He was almost in the hallway when he was stopped by Yongguk again.

'Don't think I'm done with you yet. Suho's group can't save you all the time'.

Daehyun glared at him, but then felt Baekhyun pull him away. 'Get lost Yongguk'. Baekhyun glared at him. Daehyun could of sworn he heard a slight growl come from Baekhyun's throat as he glared at Yongguk.

Baekhyun pulled Daehyun out in the hall. Suho was there waiting for them.

Suho saw how upset Baekhyun was and pulled him aside so they could talk alone.

'Why are you so upset Baekhyun?'

'Yongguk's being a jerk as always. He wouldn't leave Daehyun alone during the whole class'.

'You have to calm down, otherwise our secret will be exposed.'

'I know'. Baekhyun sighed. 'I'm tired of Yongguk and his group. They won't give up'.

'You know they will never stop torturing the new kids. Our work will never be done as long as they're around'.

Baekhyun nodded. 'I know'.

'Are you going to watch over Daehyun again tonight?'

'Can't someone else do it?' Baekhyun looked at him with pleading eyes. 'He almost caught me last night'.

'He has taken a liking to you Baekhyun. We can all sense it. His heart beats faster when he's around you'.

Baekhyun looked at the ground. 'You know that makes it less safe for us to be around each other'.

'All you're doing is guarding his house while he sleeps. Nothing more will happen between you two'.

'Fine'. Baekhyun sighed. 'I'll do it'. Baekhyun started to walk away. 'Another night without sleep...' He mumbled.

'I can hear you, you know'. Suho called after him.

 

Daehyun walked home with Suho's group. Daehyun was kind of quiet as they walked. But then he remembered the wolf last night. He wondered if any of them had seen it.

'Do you guys know about wolves around here?' He asked.

The boys all looked at each other. 'What wolves?' They asked.

Daehyun sighed. 'Forget it. I was probably imagining it'.

'Imagining what?' Suho looked at him.

'I saw a wolf outside of my bedroom window last night'.

'Sure it wasn't a dog?' Sehun asked.

Baekhyun glared at him and slapped his arm.

'I haven't seen any wolves'. Suho said. 'But I'm sure they won't hurt you unless you give them a reason to'.

'I don't want to become wolf chow'.

The boys laughed. 'So, what did this wolf look like?' Sehun asked.

'It was dark, but from what I saw, it was a beautiful white wolf just staring at me outside my window'.

Baekhyun smiled slightly when Daehyun said 'beautiful'. But no one noticed.

'Well, the wolf didn't hurt you. So I wouldn't worry about it'. Suho said as he put his hand on Daehyun's shoulder.

 

Daehyun couldn't stop thinking about the wolf from last night. He sat on his bed not able to sleep as it started getting dark.

He turned the light off in his room and closed his eyes. He was almost asleep when he heard the howling start.

Daehyun sat up and looked out his window. He saw the outline of the wolf from the moonlight glow. It looked like the same white wolf.

The wolf sat next to the tree and looked around. 

Daehyun got out of his bed and went downstairs as quietly as he could. He opened the back door and slowly made his way over to the wolf.

He had no idea why he was being stupid and getting close to a wolf. But the wolf interested him. He tried to not scare the wolf as he got closer.

He suddenly stopped in his tracks when he saw the wolf turn towards him. The wolf stared at him. Daehyun started moving again. He got a few inches from the wolf, but the wolf suddenly ran off. Daehyun didn't see the wolf for the rest of the night.