Misguided feelings

Forbidden Love (Daebaek)

Daehyun watched as Baekhyun was taken inside the house. Suho stayed outside with him.

'This is all my fault'. Daehyun whispered, but Suho heard him.

'This is not your fault'. Suho tried to put his hand on Daehyun's shoulder, but Daehyun pulled away from him.

'This is my fault. I shouldn't have left him alone'. Daehyun looked at the ground.

'The boys found him. They'll take care of him like they always do'. Suho said trying to calm Daehyun down.

'Why are you trying to protect me? You don't know me'. Daehyun looked at Suho carefully.

'We protect everyone, not just you'.

'If this is what is going to happen by you protecting me, then I don't want any part of it. Stay away from me. I can take care of myself'. Daehyun turned around and started to leave.

'Daehyun...wait!' Suho called after him, but Daehyun ignored him and walked home. Suho sighed and went inside to check on Baekhyun.

 

Daehyun tried to keep away from Suho's group. He thought it would be better for everyone if they stayed away from each other. He didn't talk to them if he saw them in class or the hallways. He ate by himself at lunch.

There was one person he was missing...Baekhyun. Baekhyun hadn't shown up to school all week. Daehyun was worried about him. He sat alone in his last class looking at Baekhyun's empty chair wondering if he was ok. He hadn't checked on Baekhyun since he got injured. He sighed and put his head on his desk.

After class, he saw Yongguk smile at him. Daehyun glared at him and left the room. He hadn't been in the hallway for very long when he heard Yongguk behind him. He felt Yongguk put his arm around his shoulders.

'Looks like Suho's group finally left you alone'.

Daehyun didn't say anything and removed Yongguk's arm from his shoulders.

'What? You don't want to talk?'

'Leave me alone. I have more important things to do than listen to you'.

'You're not as weak as you look'.

Daehyun glared at him. 'I've never been weak. I just don't waste my time on people like you'.

'You really think I'm the bad guy here?' Yongguk looked at him shocked. 'You're doing the right thing by ditching Suho's group'.

'I'm not ditching anyone. They're just giving me my space'.

'You should ditch them and join my group. We'll take better care of you than Suho's group'.

Daehyun shook his head. 'No thanks'.

Daehyun grabbed his things from his locker and left.

 

Daehyun walked home alone. He was enjoying the peace and quiet around him. He liked not having anyone follow him home.

Before he got to his house, he stopped in front of Suho's house. He stood outside and looked at it for a few minutes before walking over to the porch. He didn't know if anyone was there besides Baekhyun.

Daehyun rang the bell and waited for someone to answer. He looked around to see if any of the boys were on their way home.

He kept waiting, but no one answered the door. He turned around and walked down the porch steps. He got to the end of the driveway when he heard Suho's group.

The boys walked over to him. 'What are you doing here?' Chanyeol asked.

'Nothing...I'm just walking home'. He said.

'Are you here to see Baekhyun?' Xiumin asked.

Daehyun shook his head. 'No...But, is he ok?'

'He's fine'. Xiumin smiled. 'He's had worse injuries than that'. Sehun hit Xiumin's arm. 'I mean, he's tougher than he looks'.

'Well, glad he's ok'. Daehyun smiled.

'You can visit him if you want'. Chen said.

'It's ok. Baekhyun and I didn't really hit it off'. Daehyun sighed. As he thought about Baekhyun, he remembered Baekhyun did save him. He did kind of owe him.

The boys looked at Daehyun. 

'Ok'. He said. 'I'll go see him'.

The boys took Daehyun inside the house. Then took him to one the back bedrooms. Daehyun walked in behind Sehun. He saw Baekhyun lying in the bed sleeping.

Daehyun walked over to the bed. He looked at Baekhyun. Baekhyun looked peaceful and beautiful as he slept.

Daehyun heard the bedroom door shut. He looked over his shoulder and saw Sehun had left. He was alone with Baekhyun now.

He turned back to Baekhyun. He reached over and gently touched Baekhyun's hand. His heart started beating faster. He was afraid of waking Baekhyun up. Daehyun saw a bandage around Baekhyun's stomach. He sighed and let go of Baekhyun's hand. He still felt guilty for Baekhyun lying there injured.

Daehyun took one last look at Baekhyun before he walked over to the door to leave. He reached out for the doorknob when he heard a voice behind him.

'Where are you going?'

Daehyun turned towards Baekhyun and saw he was awake. Daehyun went over to him.

'I didn't mean to wake you'. Daehyun said.

'I've been doing nothing but sleeping the last few days'. Baekhyun smiled.

'Are you ok? Your injury looked pretty bad'.

'I'm fine. It's just a scratch...plus I hit my head'.

'Why did you do this to yourself?' 

Baekhyun saw the worried look in Daehyun's eyes. 'I was protecting you you '.

Daehyun glared at him. 'What if something worse happened to you?'

'Why do you sound like my parent?'

'Sorry. I just feel bad you got injured because of me'.

Baekhyun smiled and grabbed Daehyun's hand. 'I did it because I wanted to. I'm tired of running from Yongguk's group. They need to be put in their place'.

Daehyun squeezed Baekhyun's hand. 'I really thought you were dead when I saw Chanyeol carrying you inside'.

Baekhyun shook his head. 'During the fight I fell and hit my head. I out. But I'm fine. Don't worry'. He smiled. 'And stop feeling guilty. All of us would of done the same thing'.

'I still don't understand why you guys are doing this'.

'You don't have to understand. Just be grateful'.

'I am'.

 

Daehyun stayed with Baekhyun for awhile longer before heading home. His parents noticed he had been staying out a little later. He told them he had made friends with some boys next door. His parents were glad he's had made friends already.

Daehyun had kept thinking about Baekhyun. He was wanting to do something for him since he was stuck at home alone till he recovered. Daehyun's mom made some snacks for Daehyun to give to Baekhyun.

 

Daehyun went to see Baekhyun after school the next day. Baekhyun was still in bed. Daehyun went over to him and gave him the snacks his mom made.

'What's this?' Baekhyun asked as he took the food from Daehyun.

'Some snacks my mom made for you'.

Baekhyun smiled. 'Are you bribing me now?'

Daehyun looked at him confused. 'Bribing you?'

'I'm kidding'. Baekhyun looked at him. 'Thank you'. He said as he grabbed one of the cookies inside and ate it.

Daehyun sat on the edge of the bed. 'Do you think you'll come back to school soon?'

'Why? Do you miss me?' Baekhyun asked as he kept eating.

Daehyun felt his heart race. Baekhyun looked up at him. He could hear how loud Daehyun's heartbeat was.

Daehyun didn't say anything. He just stared at Baekhyun. Baekhyun looked back at him. He couldn't believe how much Daehyun liked him. They hardly knew each other. Baekhyun knew it was forbidden for him to be with Daehyun even if he wanted to.

'I think I should go'. Daehyun said as he left the room. Baekhyun didn't try to stop him.

Daehyun went home and layed down on his bed. He couldn't believe how stupid he was being about Baekhyun. He didn't know why he was so attracted to Baekhyun, but he could tell Baekhyun didn't feel the same way. He decided to try and find someone else if Baekhyun wasn't interested. But his heart ached for Baekhyun.

 

* 2 weeks later *

 

Daehyun had tried to stay away from Baekhyun. He didn't want to put himself through the pain of wanting him and not being able to have him. 

Daehyun went to his last class and sat down in his seat. He put his head on his desk and waited for the class to start. 

He soon heard the chair next to his move. He looked over and saw Baekhyun next to him. Daehyun sat up and turned his attention to the front.

'Now you won't even talk to me?' He heard Baekhyun say. 

He looked at Baekhyun out of the corner of his eye. 'I didn't think you'd want to talk to me'.

Baekhyun sighed. 'What is wrong with you?'

Daehyun didn't answer him. Baekhyun was taken aback by Daehyun's sudden attitude towards him. But he let it go till class was over.

 

'Come with me'. Baekhyun grabbed Daehyun's shirt and dragged him out of the school. Daehyun tried to pull Baekhyun's hand away, but he forgot how strong Baekhyun was.

Baekhyun kept dragging him till they reached the river, then he let him go.

'What the hell is wrong with you?' Daehyun glared at him.

'Me?' Baekhyun looked at him shocked. 'You're the one that's ignoring me. What the hell did I do to you?'

'Nothing'. Daehyun said not looking at him.

'Then what is wrong with you? You stopped seeing me after school for no reason. Did I say something to offend you?'

'No'. Daehyun shook his head.

'Then what is it?'

'It doesn't matter. It's not important'.

Baekhyun got closer to him. 'It is important if it's going to interfer with me protecting you'.

'I don't need protection. I don't need it from you or the rest of the boys. Why can't you understand that?'

Baekhyun put his hand on Daehyun's shoulder. 'I'm sorry if we're pissing you off. But it's important that we protect you from Yongguk's group'.

'Why?'

'I can't tell you'.

Daehyun pushed Baekhyun's hand off of his shoulder and glared at him. 'Why can't you tell me?'

'It's better you don't know'.

Daehyun shoved Baekhyun against the tree and pinned him there. Baekhyun looked at him shocked. 'What are you doing?'

'Please tell me what is going on'.

Baekhyun looked down at the ground and closed his eyes. 'I'm sorry. I can't'.

Daehyun sighed. 'If you won't tell me, then stay away from me. I don't like secrets'.

'I would tell you if I could. It's just better if you trust us'.

'How can I trust you?' Daehyun looked at him.

'I know you like me Daehyun'. Baekhyun looked up at him. 'I can tell'.

Daehyun's grip on Baekhyun started to loosen. 'What?'

'I know you like me'. Baekhyun repeated. 'I've known for awhile'.

'How?'

Baekhyun smiled. 'You don't hide your feelings very well'. Baekhyun looked at him. 'I've seen the way you stare at me, how you give me more attention than the other boys'.

'What does that have to do with anything?'

'Since you like me, you shouldn't be afraid to trust me. Especially after I risked my life for you'.

Daehyun kept looking at Baekhyun carefully. 'Then why be so secretive if you really want me to trust you?'

'It's not my choice. But please believe me, I wouldn't lie to you and put you at risk when I'm trying to protect you. Just trust me and the rest of the boys'.

Daehyun sighed and let Baekhyun go. Baekhyun just stared at him.

'Can I tell you one more thing?' Baekhyun asked.

'What is it?' 

'Get rid of your feelings for me. We can't be together'.

Daehyun looked at him confused. 

'I'm serious'. Baekhyun glared at him. 'Just stop whatever it is you feel for me'.

'Easier said than done.' Daehyun said. 'I can't just flip my feelings off like a light switch'.

'Find some way to do it'.

'I knew you didn't feel the same way'. Daehyun sighed. 'What is so bad about me liking you?'

'It's safer if we're not together. Please forget about me'.

Baekhyun sat down on the ground. He leaned up against the tree.

Daehyun sat next to him and took his hand. 'I'm sorry. I can't do that'.

Baekhyun looked at him. 'Daeh...'  Baekhyun was cut off by Daehyun's lips on his.

Baekhyun looked at him surprised and pulled away. 'Why did you do that?'

'I can't control what I feel for you. I'm sorry'.

'You have to. I'm not the one you want. Trust me'.

Daehyun sighed. He didn't let go of Baekhyun's hand. Baekhyun didn't fight him on that. Baekhyun was worried about Daehyun's feelings for him. Both he and Daehyun would be in trouble if it developed into more than what it was now.