Protectors

Forbidden Love (Daebaek)

Baekhyun had a hold of Suho's shirt as he waited for his answer. Baekhyun felt the urge to turn to his wolf form.

'Answer me! Baekhyun yelled. 'What are you doing with my son?'

Suho held Taehyung close to his chest. He knew what he was doing would upset Baekhyun, but he felt he had no choice. He felt Taehyung move around in his arms and try to get to Baekhyun.

'Baekhyun, I was hoping I'd be gone before you saw me'.

Baekhyun's glare deepened. 'What the hell are you talking about?'

Suho sighed, but didn't let go of Taehyung. 'You know, I don't want to do this'.

'Do what?'

'This hybrid baby can't be here'.

Baekhyun's eyes got wide as he realized what Suho was talking about. He slammed him against the tree again. Suho winced in pain.

'You're trying to get rid of my son?' Baekhyun growled. 'He hasn't done a thing to you, so why would you try to harm him?'

'Baekhyun, hear me out'. Suho pleaded. 'I understand you're upset, but do you realize what you brought into this world?'

Baekhyun eyed Suho carefully but didn't let him go. 'He's a baby'.

'He's a hybrid'. Suho said. 'He can destroy us all. I can't risk human lives for this thing'.

'This 'thing' is my son. If you hurt him, I will kill you'.

Baekhyun let go of Suho and grabbed Taehyung from him. 'You come near my son again, I will kill you'.

'Baek, I know you don't want to hear this, but we can't risk a hybrid living among humans. He's too different from them. He'll never fit in'.

Baekhyun started to walk away from Suho. He didn't want to hear him talk down about his son anymore.

Suho followed him, still trying to get Baekhyun to listen to him.

 

Baekhyun saw Daehyun when he got closer to their house. Daehyun saw Suho following a pissed off Baekhyun and went over to them.

'What's going on?' Daehyun asked.

'Nothing'. Suho said not wanting to piss both of them off.

'Then why is Baekhyun so upset?'

'It's a misunderstanding'. Suho said

Baekhyun gave Taehyung to Daehyun who was still confused and got in Suho's face.

'There was no misunderstanding. You try to hurt my son again, you will be sorry'.

'What?' Daehyun asked.

'Suho tried to kidnap Taehyung and get rid of him'.

'Why?'

'Because he's scared of something he doesn't understand'. Baekhyun said glaring at Suho.

'Baekhyun, you surely see my side to this situation. Your son could be dangerous to our mission of protecting humans. I need to take care of anything that could get in the way of our mission'.

'Do you hear yourself?' Baekhyun asked. 'You keep saying 'could be'. Which means you don't know about my son's personality. Yes, he could be dangerous. But if Daehyun and I raise him right, then you'll have nothing to worry about. So why don't you wait till he gets older before making up your mind about him?' 

Suho stood there in silence for a few moments then sighed. 'Fine. But if he is as dangerous as I think, then I won't hesitate to take care of him'.

Daehyun could sense Baekhyun was about to attack Suho. He reached over and grabbed Baekhyun and held him back.

'I think you should leave'. Daehyun said looking at Suho. 

Suho nodded and left.

Baekhyun took Taehyung from Daehyun and went inside. 

Daehyun followed them and went over to Baekhyun. 'What the hell was that?'

Baekhyun held Taehyung close to his chest and kissed the top of his head. 'Suho has hated our son since he found out about him. I didn't think he'd actually try and hurt him'.

Daehyun went over to Baekhyun and hugged him. 'You were right, we should move if we have to deal with this'.

'No'. Baekhyun said. 'I won't run away from Suho. If he wants to hurt our son, he has to go through me first'.

'We shouldn't give him a reason to hurt Taehyung'.

Baekhyun looked at Daehyun. 'Dae, he's going to hate Taehyung no matter what. We have to protect him, not run'.

Daehyun nodded. 'Don't worry. We'll protect him'.

 

*A few days later*

 

Daehyun was in the living room playing with Taehyung while Baekhyun took a nap. 

Daehyun noticed Taehyung had a lot of energy as they played. Especially while he was in his wolf form. He liked to chase Daehyun and nip his ankles.

While they were playing, Daehyun heard the doorbell ring. He stopped running from Taehyung and picked him up.

Daehyun went over to the door and was surprised when he opened it. He saw Xiumin, Chen, Kai and Sehun standing on the porch.

'What are you guys doing here?' He asked holding Taehyung closer to his chest.

'I know this is unexpected'. Chen said. 'But, we were hoping we could see your son'.

'Why?' Daehyun asked suspiciously.

'Because we never really got to see him after he was born'. Xiumin said. 'We promise we won't hurt him'.

'Suho doesn't even know we're here'. Sehun said.

Daehyun eyed them carefully. 'I don't know. After what Suho did, I don't think it's a good idea'.

'We understand that'. Xiumin sighed. 'I'm sorry about that. He sometimes stresses over little things and makes things worse than they really are'.

'Baekhyun is ready to kill him at any moment'. Daehyun said. 'You guys work for him, so why are you going against him and coming here?'

'We actually think your son might be able to benefit us when he gets older. If he's as strong as we saw Baekhyun, then he can help us take out Yongguk and his group once and for all'.

'What if his vampire side is stronger than his wolf side?' Daehyun asked. 'Would you hurt him like Suho wants to?'

'Daehyun'. Sehun said as he got closer to him. 'We don't hurt vampires unless they give us a reason to'.

Kai nodded. 'You haven't harmed humans which is why we haven't killed you. If your son is the same way, then he'll be fine'.

Daehyun bit his lip and let the boys inside. He was really hoping he wouldn't regret it.

 

The boys went to the living room and sat on the couch.

Daehyun followed them and put Taehyung on the ground in front of the boys. Daehyun sat on the floor next to Taehyung so he could keep a better eye on him.

Taehyung was still in his wolf form as he looked at the boys, not sure about them.

'He is cute'. Kai smiled and leaned closer to Taehyung who sniffed his hand. He eyed Kai carefully and started his hand.

'He approves'. Chen smiled.

'How long has he been in his wolf form?' Xiumin asked.

'He changes every day. But he's been changing since Baekhyun brought him home'.

Kai slowly made his way to the floor and sat down next to Taehyung. Taehyung started to run towards Daehyun and hide, but stopped and looked at Kai again. 

'He's not sure anymore'. Daehyun said and put his hand on Taehyung's back.

'I won't hurt you'. Kai said. 'In fact, we're similar'. He said smiling at Taehyung.

Taehyung tilted his head confused but intrigued as he stared at Kai.

Kai changed into his wolf form and got closer to Taehyung. Taehyung sniffed him and started jumping around wanting him to play.

Kai and Taehyung started chasing each other around the living room.

Daehyun and the boys watched Kai and Taehyung play.

'He seems to enjoy being a wolf'. Xiumin said.

'He definitely has more energy when he's in his wolf form. He's a little more grumpy and stubborn when he's in his vampire form'.

Taehyung ran over to Chen, Xiumin and Sehun and tried to get them to play as well.

Xiumin was the first to change into his wolf form followed by Chen and Sehun.

Daehyun watched how happy Taehyung was to have playmates. 

The boys seemed to be enjoying themselves too.

'What's with all the noise down here?' Baekhyun asked as he walked into the room.

Daehyun's eyes got wide at the sight of Baekhyun. He was scared to find out Baekhyun's reaction to the boys being there.

The boys stopped in their tracks when they saw Baekhyun.

Taehyung was confused when the boys stopped playing. He howled and whimpered at them to keep playing, but they ignored him.

Baekhyun glared at Daehyun. 'What the hell is Suho's group doing here?' He asked as he picked Taehyung up.

'They came to see him'.

'Daehyun, they are working for Suho. They're trying to hurt our son as well'. Baekhyun held Taehyung tight. Taehyung whimpered in Baekhyun's arms and wanted back down on the floor.

The boys changed back into their human forms and stood next to Daehyun.

'Baekhyun, I promise we're not here to hurt your son'. Kai said.

Baekhyun eyed Kai carefully. He wanted to believe him. But he had let him down when Suho tried to separate him and Daehyun.

'Suho, planned for you to betray us, didn't he?' Baekhyun yelled.

The boys shook their heads. 'No, he doesn't even know we're here. I promise'. Chen said.

'Why are you taking an interest in our son right after Suho tried to hurt him?' Baekhyun glared at them.

'We heard about what happened'. Xiumin said. 'We just wanted you to know that not all of us support Suho in hurting your son'.

Baekhyun still didn't know what to believe.

Daehyun went over and put his hand on Baekhyun's shoulder. 'I didn't believe them either. But, I have never seen Taehyung so happy playing with fellow wolves'.

Baekhyun looked at Taehyung and noticed how he wanted to go back to playing. He sighed and set Taehyung on the floor.

Taehyung immediately went over to Kai and started howling at him to play. Kai changed back into his wolf form and started chasing Taehyung around the living room again.

'See? They're not hurting him'. Daehyun said as he squeezed Baekhyun's shoulders. But he noticed Baekhyun wasn't taking his eyes off of Taehyung.

'Can you boys promise me something?' Baekhyun asked.

'What is it?' Xiumin asked.

'If you really mean what you say about not hurting Taehyung, then can you help Daehyun and I protect him from Suho and Yongguk's group?'

The boys looked at each other then nodded. 'We promise'.

'No matter if it goes against listening to Suho?'

The boys nodded again.

'He seems to be normal from what we've seen. No reason to hurt him.'

Baekhyun got closer to the boys. 'I really need you guys to keep this promise. This is my son, an innocent child. He deserves to live as normally as he can. I can't risk Suho or Yongguk hurting him because they're afraid of him'.

'We promise, Baek'. Chen said. 'Do you want us to start guarding the house at night like we do with humans?'

'Yes'. Baekhyun nodded. 'Daehyun and I are doing our best when we're awake, but Taehyung drains a lot of our energy. We can't watch him all day long'.

'Whoever is free during the night will watch out for Suho and Yongguk'. Xiumin said.

Baekhyun smiled. 'Thank you. It means a lot for you to go against Suho for our son's safety'.

'He's a cool little kid. We don't want to see him hurt. Besides, he might make a great protector when he gets older'.

Baekhyun smiled and nodded.

Kai came back over to them a few minutes later with a sleeping Taehyung in his arms. 'Looks like someone crashed from all the running around'. He said as he handed Taehyung to Baekhyun.

Baekhyun took him and put him in his crib.

'We might have to hire you to babysit when you're not outside guarding the house'. Daehyun said.

The boys smiled. 'We can do that. He needs to be around fellow wolves'.