What Do I Do Now?

Cooking for Love

A sudden bump on my right caused me to jolt straight up from my seat. "I didn't mean to say all of that, it just happened, okay?!" I blurted out.

Twenty pairs or eyes slowly turned towards my way, and then focused their attention on me; some looking confused, while others looking a bit weirded out.

"Did I just say that out loud?" I mumbled to myself.

In the corner of my eye, I saw Insoo, who was sitting next to me, slowly nod.

"Wait, did I just say that out loud...?" I mumbled again, my level of uncertainty rising.

Insoo nodded again, as a few giggles and snickering could now be heard from around the room.

"Kim Seyong, for the last time, stop disrupting my class!" ordered Mrs. Yoon, as she pointed her piece of chalk at me.

I slightly flinched at the way the volume of her voice had increased, but then quickly straightened myself out. With an apology, I flashed her a sheepish grin, just before sitting back down in my seat again. Mrs. Yoon's strict voice made everyone soon go back to their work, as I let out a sigh.

"Pssst," came a voice on my right, "So you wanna tell me what's wrong with you, now? You've been out of it since this morning."

I looked at Insoo for a bit, and then let out another depressed sigh.

Hyeri'savoidingmebecauseIsaidsomethingsthatIshouldn'thavesaidandnowsheprobablyhatesmemorethanbeforeorpossiblyforlife.

...Is what I've found myself repeating in my head ever since yesterday.

The sudden ring of the bell stopped me from actually saying something, as everyone began to stuff their books into their bags.

Insoo sprung up from his seat, "Great, now that it's lunch, you can tell all of us!"

———————————————

"Soooo, Insoo hyung said that you're finally going to tell us why you've been so weird," began Chaejin, "Actually hyung, you're always weird, but this weird is...a different kind of weird." The younger boy continued to ramble on, as I poked my rice.

At times like this, I kind of wished I had that memory stick that the men in black agents have...you know, one flash and the people who see it will forget what you want them to? Something like that. Ah, I just need to find a way not to let Gunwoo know that Hyeri likes him! I already know that he doesn't like her but you know...I just can't risk the thought of any of my best friends dating, or even worst, ending up, with that crazy girl! She will stay single, until—

"Alright Seyong, tell us," said Insoo, "Tell us what's been making you space out all day, because it’s annoying us.”

Whoa, where did he come from? How long was he here for? And...and Junkyu's here as well?

...But there's no Gunwoo?

"Gunwoo hyung told me to tell you guys that his math teacher wants to see him about something," spoke Junkyu, as though he had just read my mind. When both Chaejin and Insoo asked him if he knew what it was about, he shrugged, saying that he wasn't sure.

Once that was over, the three returned their attention back to me, the looks of anticipation shown on their faces in a different way.

Okay, I guess since Gunwoo hyung isn't here right now, so...

"Alright. I did something really bad," I started, "It's so bad, and the bad part about this bad thing, is that I couldn't stop the badness of it! It was like verbal diarrhea, it was just so, so, bad!"

The three set of eyes continued to blink at me, and so I decided to elaborate some more. "You know when you're craving for some of that really good chocolate milk that we usually get from that ahjumma's store, but when you go into the kitchen to open the fridge, you find out that it's all gone?"

Chaejin gasped, as Insoo dropped his spoon. Junkyu appeared to still be unfazed by what I was saying, as he continued to eat his banana with his usual blank look.

I nodded and went on, "Well yeah, it's that level of bad!"

"What could you have done, that could be at that type of level?!" questioned Insoo, as he anxiously took another bite of his food.

I picked at my rice again, as an excuse not to look at any of them in the eye. "Well...let’s just say, I said a whole bunch of things to someone that I shouldn't have said." I murmured, just loud enough for them to hear.

"Hyungggg, why did you do thaaaat?" probed Chaejin.

I let out a sigh, "I told you already, it was like verbal diarrhea!"

An 'oh' was heard, just before he went back to nibbling on his food.

Stupid verbal diarrhea...

"So yeah...I don't really know what to do to make things better," I concluded.

Insoo slowly nodded as he chewed down his food. "Well since it’s that bad, have you tried making this person some food? Nothing says 'I'm sorry' like a home-cooked meal," he chimed.

"Oh, I did," I replied, frowning a little at the memory.

"And how did it go?" questioned Chaejin, with a tilt of his head.

Well...

I carefully placed the piece of bread down, and let out a sigh of satisfaction.

Finally, my special, Seyong-edition, sandwich is now complete!

This will definitively get Hyeri to start talking to me again. She'll be back to her cute, angry self in no time!

Smiling at the sandwich, I went to wash my hands, just before grabbing the plate, and making my way up the stairs.

In a matter of seconds, I was no in front of the door to Hyeri’s room. I stopped my hand from twisting the doorknob and freely entering like how I normally would, and resulted with a knock. And as soon as I heard a 'come in', I felt my self-confidence building.

Ha, she's already talking to me, and I haven't even given her the food yet, so this is definitely going to work!

Opening the door, I stuck my head in, and was greeted by the sight of her back facing me. Oh, is she studying or something? That must be it...

I carefully tiptoed in, and when she didn't turn around to face me, I cleared my throat.

Again.

And again.

And again...

Aish, why won't you look at me?!

"Yeah, what do you want?" she finally said, which had me straighten myself up all of the sudden.

I eventually relaxed my posture, as I realized that there was something missing in her tone of voice. It sounded a little too...monotone? I don't know, but it sounded a little empty, something that was a little unusual.

"I made you a saaaandwich~" I sang, and did some little hand gestures with my free hand, even though she (still) wasn't looking at me.

"Oh, okay then," replied Hyeri in the same blank tone.

I silently swallowed, and then carefully placed the plate down next to her nightlight. "I'll just...leave it over here for youuuu~" I chimed.

An 'okay' was all I got, before the room went back to being quiet again.

Ah, what the hell is this tension, it's killing me!

The smile on my face gradually formed into a frown, which made me go back to feeling like crap again.

Aigoooo, what do I do now?

Did I really make the fiery, up-beat girl disappear, just like that? Whoa, what if the girl in front of me is actually an alien of some sort?! What if...what if the realHyeri got abducted on the way home yesterday, and in her place now is an alien, who is secretly gathering information about Earth, for some unknown reason?!

I scratched my chin; it could be possible?

Slowly, I tip toed over, until I was behind her. From there, I carefully peeked over her shoulder, and only managed to get a glimpse of what looked like to be her math homework, before she swiftly spun around to face me. Whoa, is she going to use her alien (ninja) powers on me?!

I quickly backed way, and rapidly blinked at her, surprised by the sudden action.

"Yes?" she said, in a bored tone of voice.

I gulped, "Oh...uhhh, I...I have this new...this new dance that I want to show you!"

Okay, why the hell did I say that?!

Hyeri slowly raised her eyebrow, as if to say 'is that so?’

With that, I started to do whatever that came to mind, and soon found myself just dancing away. For a second there, I forgot that the room wasn’t exactly a dancing studio, because I had accidentally knocked over something, which made her lamp almost fall over.

"Seyong!" she yelled, as she reached out for the object, "Just get out!"

Being too scared of what would happen next, I quickly scrambled out of the place.

"...And...yeah," I ended my story, as the three of them just blinked back at me.

Junkyu was the first one to speak up. "Why am I not surprised that this is about Hyeri..." he pointed out, and I wasn't sure if that was supposed to be a question or not.

Oh man, I was supposed to keep her identity a secret!

Upon the mention of Hyeri's name, Chaejin snickered, and I knew the look on his face all too well, to know what he was thinking about.

Why can't he get it through his head that I don't like her like that! He doesn't understand how fun it is to , and see her react, because he doesn't do it! Ehhhh.

"What are you laughing about?" asked Insoo, as he gave Chaejin a weird look.

The younger boy shook his head, and waved his hand dismissively, "It's nothing." He then went on, "Do you think it might be...a hormonal thing?"

"You mean like PMS?" added Insoo.

The latter nodded, as I slumped back down into my seat with a slight groan. Insoo and Chaejin continued their talk on mood swings, and how weird girls could get when they were in their 'time of the month'.

Junkyu spoke up again. "Well...you have tried apologizing to her, right?" he asked, while taking a scoop out of his pudding.

"Obviously!" I said, while flattening my eyes at him.

Hey, where did he get that pudding from? I want one.

Junkyu raised an eyebrow at me, "Really? Like a fully proper one and everything?"

I blinked for a bit, and then forced out a laugh, "Pfff, yeah! What do you think I am, stupid?"

Okay, note to self; make a full, proper apology with Hyeri, to make her stop avoiding me...

Before either of us could say anything more, the bell rang, signaling that lunch was over. The four of us then stood up, and threw away our trash, just before grabbing our bags and making our way towards our next class.