Umma, You Can't Leave Me!

Cooking for Love

Slamming down my spoon, my eyebrows pinched together in distress. "Umma, you can't leave me!" I begged for the fifth time. 

But all she did was casually selected a piece of fish with her chopsticks, and placed it into my bowl. It was as though she was hoping that gesture would make me feel better or something.

"Hyeri-ah, it's only going to be for a week or so," she assured once more, "You'll be okay."

I frowned, and then went back to picking at my rice. Grandma is sick, so my mother has decided to go over to Japan to visit and see how she's doing. Hopefully, umma will be able to help nurse back her health. It wasn't the thought of her going that made me uneasy, since I was also worried about my grandmother's health...but it was the fact of who umma wanted me to stay with, while she was going to be absent, that had me pulling out my hair.

Gee, I don't think I'd be surprised if I ended up bald...

"Then can I stay at Minah's instead?" I pleaded, a little too desperately.

Umma shook her head, "We've been through this conversation before, and like I said, I don't want you bothering her parents, since you're always over there. And besides, what's wrong with staying with at Seyong's house?"

I narrowed my eyes and exploded with a huff, "Um, I don't know...everything?!"

Honestly, the list could go on and on, but I don't think giving my mother a headache would help convince her to not let me stay there. Since she doesn't want my studies to be affected, umma has decided that it's best if I didn’t go with her, no matter how much I wanted to. She doesn't like the thought of me being by myself, so she's talked to her best friend about me temporarily staying with them, and the two agreed, without me knowing.

My mother picked up a piece of kimchi. "I don't see anything wrong with staying over there..." she murmured to herself.

I couldn't help but let out a scoff. "Umma," I began, "Seyong is a boy!"

Without looking at me, she just shrugged. "So? I know you two won't do anything," she replied.

My eyes almost popped out of their sockets of what she was trying to imply, "Umma!"

Ew, how could she even hint such a thing?!

Gross!

Seeing my reaction, she just laughed, before encouraging me to eat some more.

Bleh, because of what she had just said, I think I just lost my appetite...

———————————————

"Minah, it's horrible!" I whined into the phone, "I have to stay over at that poop-head's house!"

So for the past half an hour, I've just been venting out my frustration to Minah over the phone, while packing some of my things. Just like my mother, Minah didn't seem to find anything wrong with it, and kept reassuring me that it was only going to be a week or so. Are these people blind or something? They're only calm because they don't have to spend a week with the Devil himself, in his own sanctuary!

"And before you know it, you'll be back to your own home!" comforted Minah, and I could just imagine her smiling.

I pursed my lips, and furrowed my eyebrows, "I guess..."

Just then, I heard umma's voice from downstairs, and I knew that it was time to go. Saying goodbye to my best friend, we hung up, where I then swung my duffle bag over my shoulder. I closed the door of my bedroom, and then walked out to the front where my mother was standing. She had her luggage ready, and the sight of that made me feel this hurtful pang in my chest. I guess it was finally hitting me that she wasn't going to be by my side for a while, which was definitely going to feel weird...

Swallowing down the lump in my throat, I told her that I had my things and was ready.

And with that, she locked up the place, where we then got into the car, and began to head over to Hell.

Well, something like that.

———————————————

It wasn’t long before we finally arrived at our destination, and when umma rang the doorbell, we were then greeted by Seyong's mother. The two older ladies happily exchanged a few words, before the one who was practically my aunty, turned to look at me.

"Hyeri-ah, it's so nice to see you again!" she beamed.

I politely bowed at her, "Heheh, it's nice to see you too."

Giving my mother one last hug, I then stepped inside, as they talked for a bit more, just before she had to leave. I let out a little sigh, as I walked past the living room, and then made my way up the familiar stairs, and then towards the guest room of the house. Yeah, I guess I've been here way too many times, (I’m only here for Seyong’s parents!) to know where everything is.

As I walked past the red-head’s room, I noticed that it was empty.

That's odd...he's usually in there, doing whatever it is that he does in there.

Hmm, maybe he went out or something?

Yes! That thought made me light up a bit, as the idea of not having to see him so soon was just wonderful.

Wonderful I repeat; won-der-ful!

Placing my bag onto the bed of the guest room, I ped it with ease, and started to take out my clothes. It was fine for a while, until I felt something grab a hold of my ankle, which had me let out a terrified shrill. As I kicked and screamed at whatever the heck this thing was, I somehow tripped over, and because I was so scared, I found myself crawling towards the furthest corner of the room. The crazy laughing that could be heard didn't make it any better, and I was starting to wonder if a hobo had somehow managed to sneak into this household, without anyone knowing...which is kind of impossible.

Ugh, I knew I should have brought my baseball bat along!

The figure slowly crawled out from underneath the bed, cackling away, and as soon as I saw that familiar shade of red-brown, my jaw clenched together.

Seyong doubled over in some more laughter, "Your—your face! And then, pffff—hahaha!" The red-head eventually got onto the floor, and was now practically rolling around.

My eyes dangerously narrowed at him, and I swear, if he could see my aura right now, it would be strangling the life out of him!

I stood up and stomped over to him, "Kim Seyong, you son of a—!" Just before I was about to step on him, his hand quickly shot out, grabbed a hold of my ankle, where he then somehow managed to swiftly pull me down onto the floor.

Ow, what the hell?!

"Swearing isn't very lady-like~" cooed Seyong's mocking voice. He suddenly paused, "Oh woops, but I forgot that you're not a lady to begin with." A devious snicker followed up that rude, rude, remark, where he then did an ugly 'cutesy' pose.

Tsk, this guy's just asking for a death wish, isn't he?!

Shaking the numbness of the fall away, I slowly sat up and then yelled at him, "Seyong, get out!"

The red-head chuckled, unfazed by my grumpiness. "But this is my house," he replied in a matter of fact tone.

I groaned, "I don't care, you're annoying and I need to unpack!"

Not wasting another second, I got up, and started to kick him outside, until I was able to shut the door. Honestly, is it too much to ask for some peace and quiet around here?!

Now that that's over, I exhaled, and then went back taking out my things.

Oh great, what now...? 

It wasn't even a minute into the unpacking, and I could feel a presence peeking through at the entrance, and once the door eventually opened up (yet again), I flattened my eyes at the sight of Seyong casually leaning against the doorframe. 

"Can I help you?" I skeptically questioned.

He shook his head, "Nope. Just continue on with what you're doing."

I slowly raised an eyebrow at him, "Okay then...?"

Bit by bit, I gradually emptied out my bag, still feeling a little wary of why that...that crazy thing, was just standing there. Seriously, just look at him! Picking at his nails or something...aish, what are you up to now, huh? A specific memory of a certain-y-red-head-standing-by-the-door-way checking out my , suddenly replayed in my mind. And to make matters worse, he pat it more than once!

More than once man, who does that?!

Feeling the sudden heat raise up on my cheeks, I hastily pushed him away, "Can you just go away for a bit?!"

"Huh? What? Why?!" asked Seyong, as he tried to hold his ground, "I'm not doing anything this time!"

Oh, I like how he said 'this time'.

I quickly slammed the door in his face before he could squeeze himself back in, and actually locked it this time. Hopefully he doesn't start picking at the lock with that screwdriver like how he did last time...ugh. I turned my attention back to my clothes on the bed, when I suddenly heard the weirdo outside complement on my underwear.

My eyes widened; he saw my what?!

I gave my forehead a slap for not being more careful. Ah, so that's why he was standing here, watching me unpack like that! That good for nothing—

"Have you tried lace?" I heard him holler from outside, "Actually, that might not be such a good idea." He snickered for a bit, and then I heard his footsteps disappear towards the staircase.

Aaaah, why?

Why is this my life?!

Embarrassed, I quickly picked up my undergarments, and then shoved them away somewhere with a huff.

Umma, please hurry up and come back, I don't think I can survive a week in this house!