I Feel Like Death

Cooking for Love

I groggily opened my eyes, when I heard my alarm clock going off. Once I managed to turn off the annoying thing, I found myself falling back into bed. My head was pounding, and my throat felt like sand paper. On top of that, it was as though my room had suddenly become a freezer, because I was shivering.

To simply put it, I feel like death.

Wow, I didn’t think my sore throat from last night would turn into something like this...

Fifteen minutes had passed or so, with me struggling to keep myself awake, when a sudden knock on my door was heard.

"Hyeri-ah, it's time for school," said Seyong's mother, from the outside.

I let out a slight groan, and when I tried to open my mouth to speak, barely anything had come out.

Great, so not only do I feel like crap-on-a-stick, but I don't have a voice either?!

I guess my lack of response had caused her to come inside, because out of nowhere, I felt a cool hand touch my forehead. "Omo!" Seyong's mom flinched, "You're burning up!"

She then told me to tuck myself back in bed, just before scurrying out of the room. A few minutes later, she came back in with a small towel, and a bowl of water. Dabbing the cloth into the water, and then squeezing the excess out, she then neatly folded the cloth into a small rectangle, before gently placing it onto my forehead. She told me that there was no way I was allowed to leave the house in this condition, and I groaned in protest.

This stupid flu is going to ruin my outstanding attendance at school!

Due to my tiredness, I was drifting in and out of sleep, and only managed to get snippets of what she was saying. But from what I gathered, she seemed to be worried about leaving me by myself at home or something?

I shook my head, and mustered up all the strength I had, to try to talk. "It’s okay...I'll probably just be sleeping...heh."

What was left of my voice came out like a hoarse whisper; it sounded (and felt) really gross too.

Seyong's father had already left for work, and Seyong's mother would usually leave a little later on for her job, when both Seyong and I had left the house for school.

"Ummaaaa, where are youuuu?" sang a dreadful voice from outside.

"I'm in Hyeri's room!" she called out.

I buried my face a little deeper into my pillow, wincing a little from how loud their voices sounded. A few seconds later, footsteps could be heard coming closer towards my bed, and I let out a little sigh, hoping that he wouldn't have to be so...well...energy-draining.

"Hey fatty, why are you still in bed?" questioned Seyong.

"Seyong-ah, Hyeri's sick," said his mother, "she won't be going to school today, so it will just be you."

"Sick?" he repeated, "Then who's going to take care of her if we're all out?"

Wow, is my hearing acting up, or does he actually sound somewhat concerned about my well-being...?

"I'll call in work and tell them that I can't make it," said his mom.

The two talked for a little more, and by now, my tiredness had taken over, and I felt myself drifting back to sleep.

But just before I had completely zoned out, I heard Seyong say something along the lines of, "It'll be fine!" and if I wasn't so sleepy from this flu, then I would have been curious about what he was talking about.

———————————————

My eyes found themselves slowly opening up again, as I entered back into reality. Letting out a little yawn, I then slowly rolled onto my side, to check the time. Oh, so it’s ten thirty, huh? As I sat up, the pounding of my headache made me wince, so I made sure not get up too quickly. I then slipped out of bed, and then headed over to the bathroom to wash up.

When I was finished, I felt a little better, and was glad that a tiny part of my voice had come back. Even though the nasty rough feel had somewhat decreased from my throat, it still annoyingly itched.

"Ewww, I sound like a dying cat," I mumbled to myself.

Now that I was downstairs, I slowly made my way into the kitchen, in hopes of making a little of something to eat, so I could get the needed medicine to make this stupid sickness go away. I don't even know how this flu got to me; it just appeared out of nowhere?!

"Hey fat, you're finally awake now!" chimed a voice.

I was about to open the fridge, but stopped in my tracks, and turned towards the direction of the voice. "Who are you calling fat?!" I retorted, "And aren't you supposed to be at school?"

My screaming had put quite a strain on my throat, causing me to end up in a coughing fit. Seeing this, Seyong just snickered and pointed at me, while I was wheezing away. So here I am, practically dying, and he’s just laughing at me?!

The evil jerk finally had the decency to pour out some water, and hand the cup to me. Yanking it out of his hands, I then proceeded to gulp down the contents. When I stopped to let out a sigh, glad that my coughing fit had finally died down, I then saw Seyong gently push a bowl towards me.

"Here, eat it."

Is that congee? I think it is...looks like it...sort of.

I stared at him for a bit, just before turning the other way, and making my way towards the lounge room.

“Yah!” he snapped, “Where are you going?!”

I ignored him, and continued to head over to the couch. What is he doing here? I'll just wait until—

"Umma's not coming home," I heard him say.

One of my eyebrows arched up, as I turned around to look at him.

"I told her to go to work, and said that you'll be fine with me," said Seyong, with a shrug.

Why would he do that?! My fingers twitched, and I felt my breathing becoming more pronounced than it should.

So I feel like death, and I'm left with this crazy thing, to nurse me back to health?

A sudden wave of queasiness suddenly swept over me, and I felt myself blanking out.