I Guess Detention Wasn't So Bad

Cooking for Love

The person quickly patted my back a few times to help me swallow, and as soon as I felt better, I looked up to see the same handsome face that always caused butterflies to stir from within me. Come on Hyeri, speak! Do something, before you swoon and become unconscious; ehhhh, even though he's so lovely looking, don’t just keep staring like a weirdo!

Gunwoo asked me if I was alright, and I just nodded. I then remembered his question from before, and eagerly gestured him towards the empty seat in front of me, letting him know how it was vacant. Giving me a smile, he then took the seat with his food. As we ate and talked together, I was praying for my cheeks to not burn up so much, from my excitement. It was just me, and him, and he was smiling, and it was so cute, and the way he would chew his food was just too adorable to the point where I just wanted to punch him. Of course, I restrained myself, and he even laughed at some of the things that I said!

Ah, how I love life.

His day seems to be going just fine, and when I found out that he was in the same music class as Minah, I envied her so much. Actually, anyone who got to be in the same class was pretty lucky.

Suddenly, something (or someone?) had caught a hold on Gunwoo's attention, because he was now waving at them. Snapping out of my daze, I turned around slightly, and my smile fell as soon as I saw Seyong. The devil bounced over with his lunch, and because Gunwoo is simply the nicest, most angelic person in the entire world, (seriously, I don’t think anyone can get more kind than him...okay, maybe Minah, but that’s a different story) he moved his tray over to make more room at the table.

“Thanks hyung,” said Seyong with a smile. Placing his tray down, he then turned to me with a smirk, “It’s understandable why you moved over, since Hyeri needs the whole table to her fat self.”

Glaring at him, I scooped up some rice with my spoon, and then threw it at his face. It hit him square on, which had me snickering away.

Ha, take that!

Instead of sitting down next to Gunwoo like how he was going to, he plopped himself down next to me, picked up whatever he could of the rice, and then threw it back at my face.

“Yah, what the hell was that for?!” I yelled, while giving him a shove.

He shoved me back as I tried to brush off the rice, “For being annoying!”

Growling, I was now pulling onto his hair as he violently shook-strangled me; hopefully I was inflicting more pain on him than he did with me. We were making such weird-strangled-sounding noises, but I was too angry at him for caring about the stares that we were getting. Suddenly, a hand frantically waved itself in front of our faces, which had our heads both snapping towards the person in sync.

“What?!” we yelled in unison.

“You two are setting a bad example for the younger years over there,” said Gunwoo, just before eating some rice.

We both stopped and quickly glanced over to the direction that he had subtly pointed his spoon towards, and there was, indeed, a group of students who gave off that 'new' vibe. Some of them giggled, while others just gave us a weird stare, and that’s when I noticed how they were all female. Seyong was the first to let go of me, so I loosened my grip on him as well.

Flicking the bits of rice off of himself, he then fixed up his uniform, just before giving the girls a flirty wave that had me gagging. Ew, why was, and is, he always so greasy? And like any other girl, (that strangely found him attractive in some bizarre way) they all straightened up, just before huddling together for an explosion of giggles. Yeah, I don’t think I’ll ever understand how he was always able to get a reaction like that...it's just...not right. Letting out a sigh, I then began to pick out the pieces of rice that got into my hair. And as I did so, I felt a pair of eyes staring at me, who belonged to none other than the annoying -head.

“What are you looking at?” I snapped.

Eyes widening slightly, Seyong quickly looked away as if he had just been caught doing something bad. “N-Nothing!” he stuttered.

Wait a minute; Seyong...stuttering? Is that even possible, considering how cocky he is? His confidence level is pretty much over nine thousand.

When I went to straighten up my uniform, I realized that my blouse was revealing my right shoulder a little more than it should have. Blinking at my revealed bra strap for a few seconds, my face quickly flushed from embarrassment as I hastily fixed up my attire. I can’t believe he was just—ugh! I don’t even want to think about what was going through his mind when he was looking at that!

Screaming out an 'ew', I gave Seyong a kick and then pushed him off the seat, “You ert!”

“Ow, stop kicking me!” yelled the red-head, as he eventually got up and distanced himself away.

“You deserve these kicks, you stupid ert! I can’t believe you were looking there!” I yelled, feeling so self-conscious at the fact that Gunwoo was hearing all of this.

Seyong pouted, “It’s not like there was anything to look at, anyways...”

Even though he was, sort of, kind of, slightly correct, I covered my chest as a reflex, feeling exposed. I was about to say something back, when Insoo and Chaejin had made their way back over with some ice-cream. Junkyu was also with them, and the three of them had given the three of us a confused look. Dismissing myself, I stood up, grabbed my tray and hurriedly went to put it away.

Ah, this is so embarrassing, I can’t stop squirming!

———————————————

After school hours, Mrs. Choi was already there in the cooking classroom, when I reluctantly entered with Seyong.

For our detention, she had ordered us to re-cook the pancakes that we had failed to do so this morning, and could only leave if she considered them to be 'decent'. The ingredients that we needed had already been gathered for us, and were left on the cooking bench. But before we started, she told us that she was going to leave the room for a bit, saying something about needing to take care of some quick paperwork in the office.

"When I come back, I better see you two cooking," she said in a stern voice.

We both mumbled out a ‘yes’, and as soon as she exited the door, my head instantly turned towards him.

"This is all your fault!" I huffed.

Seyong scoffed, "How the heck is it all my fault?"

I shot him a look of disbelief, "Are you stupid or something?!"

"Something," he replied with a shrug.

My hand instantly met with my forehead as I let out a frustrated groan. He was, and is, simply the worst cooking partner that I have ever been paired off with. Stupid Seyong, and his stupid, stupid, self!

"But you know," he suddenly said, grabbing my attention, "this wouldn't have happened if you didn't leave the bench like that~"

I massaged the bridge of my nose and then let out a sigh, still wondering as to why on earth, he thinks me going to get some flour, was the result of us being stuck here.

"You know what? Lets just hurry up and get this over with, so I can go home..." I grumbled, and then went to put on my apron.

———————————————

"Oh my God, I can't do this," I said, while placing down the instruction sheet.

And the worst part about this was that we had just started.

Seyong's eyebrows drew together, "You know, if you weren't so crazy—"

"Crazy?!" I exclaimed, cutting him off, "I'm not crazy, you are! That's it; I'm asking if we can switch partners."

Right at that moment, the door opened, and in came Mrs. Choi. Just as she had turned around, both Seyong and I had managed to appear in front of her in a flash, and her surprised yet confused face greeted us. My question shot off like a missile, and after a few blinks, she said no.

She said no?

But why?!

We were then explained how she believed that pairing off someone who knew more with someone who knew less, was a good thing. Apparently it was a new method where the teachers had believed that by doing this, the students were then able to help bring each other up. If this was the case, then I had no idea how Seyong was going to help me in anyway; seriously, who adds flour straight into a frying pan, without mixing it with anything else first?

"But—!"

"Lee Hyeri, please go back to the bench, and complete the task like how I had told you to do so with Seyong," ordered Mrs. Choi, as she tightened her lips into a firm thin line.

I inwardly sighed, my shoulders slumping down a little. Shooting another glare at Seyong (who in turned stuck out his tongue at me) we then made our way back towards the bench. Seyong, who took out the sifter first, had decided that he would smooth out the flour, while I got everything else ready. Just when I finished, I turned towards him to see how he was doing, only to see him still standing there with the flour inside the sifter.

He felt me staring at him, and then grinned, "Fatty, how does this work?"

My fingers curled into a fist on instinct, as I clenched my teeth. What the heck was he doing this whole time?! Come on Hyeri, just breathe...think of it this way; the faster you do this, the faster you get to go home!

Gathering up much effort, I brushed the comment away, and took a step closer. "Here, you do it like this..."

With my left hand helping him hold the sifter and my right hand on his other hand, I guided him on the simple task of turning the handle at a steady pace.

It was surprisingly quiet as we watched the flour slowly flutter into the bowl, and the only noise being heard was the ticking of the classroom clock, and of course, the turning of the handle. For once, not a single annoying word had uttered from Seyong's mouth, and I found that to be quite remarkable.

Wow, who would have thought that there would actually be a day where his motor-mouth would turn off?

Although, when we finished, he seemed to space out a lot, which was probably just as annoying as when he spoke. In the end, we managed to complete the task with a rather decent mark, which surprised me. Happy about the score, I totally forgot about our bickering from before, and turned to him for a high-five. He appeared to still be in that weird mood, so I shrugged it off and started to pack up my things. Hoisting up my school bag, I gave a quick wave at the teacher and him before leaving.

But Seyong didn't say anything, as he was too busy staring at his hands for some reason, the crazy thing.

Seriously, why is he so weird?