Stupid Blackout

Cooking for Love

When I finish my shower, and lightly dry my hair with the hairdryer, I smile.

Ah, it feels so much better to be out of those icky clothes, and be placed into something warm and clean.

Making my way out, and down the stairs, I see Seyong sitting on the couch, flicking through various channels on the television. And as I continue to hop down the steps, it seems as though the power source in the house is slightly weakened, because the lights give a sudden flicker that causes temporary darkness, for a split of two seconds. I stop in my tracks to observe the nearest light source, and Seyong could be seen tilting his head up in confusion, at the light bulb above of him.

Eh, whatever.

I shrug it off, but as soon as I bounce off the last step and touch the wooden floor, the whole house suddenly becomes pitch black.

Seyong lets out a groan, "Oh great, what is this, a black out?"

Wonderful, just wonderful; can this get any better?

First Gunwoo sees me at my worst, and now there’s a stupid blackout.

"D-Do we have any candles?" I stutter out.

"Yeah," Seyong replies.

Strangely, the sound of his voice soothes down the panic in me, as I blindly begin to feel my way around the place.

"There's some in the kitchen draw, I'll go and get some," he says.

The sound of him rising from the sofa could be heard, as he begins to make his way into the kitchen. I manage to hear him let out a small yelp, along with a curse word, and I could only assume that he had accidentally hit his toe onto the corner of something. It makes me laugh a little, but then I go back to frowning, and the longer he takes to find the candles, the more my paranoia of not being able to see, begins to overwhelm me.

If there’s one thing that I absolutely despise with my entire being, then it has to be the darkness, and how good it was, at making me feel so vulnerable.

I mean, what if something was to suddenly kill me on the spot right now?

Even though the only people in the house right now are me and Seyong, but you never know, since life is filled with many different possibilities, and all that mumbo jumbo.

Oh my God, what if a ghost appears, and then straps me to a chair, so that I’m forced into watching a slideshow, of every single embarrassing moment that I have ever been through, in my life?!

"Y-Yah," I call out, hoping that it didn't sound too shaky. "Hurry up, will you?"

A huff could be heard from Seyong, where he then proceeds to mutter out something about this not being an easy task. And I agree, and would give him credit for being able to even find the kitchen, but instead, I just keep quiet. There was also something about x-ray eye vision in his response, but I'm too busy trying to keep myself calm, to know exactly what he had just said.

"Ah, found it!" chimes Seyong's voice.

The feeling of relief is felt, as he then voices out how he is going to head back into the living room, to light it there. Sadly, it's only felt for a few seconds, as I can begin to feel my mind reinsert some scary thoughts into me. With how eerily quiet the place is, and how my hands don't seem to be touching anything, (maybe that’s a good thing?) I can feel an uncomfortable lump slowly build up inside me. I bite my lip and swallow, trying my best to prevent this sudden moisture from developing by rapidly blinking, but it's too late.

A hot tear slips out of my eye, and with it comes out an audible sniff, something that I was trying so desperately hard to hold back.

And for some reason, I know that once I start, I can't seem to stop, because I'm now sobbing.

Seyong’s shuffling come to a halt. "H-Hey," he warily says. "Are you...are you crying?"

I don't know why, but hearing his somewhat startled voice point out at my sniffle, makes me sob even more. Eventually, I sit down on the floor from where I am, and pull my legs up towards my chest, for some form of comfort. The hiccups make it harder for me to stop, and aside from the clock ticking away on the wall, the sound of me sniffing is the only thing you can hear, in the thick blackness. Embarrassed, I place my hands over my mouth to quiet down the noise, but it's not enough, as my body jerks up here and there, from the hiccups.

Seyong eventually makes his way over to me, and judging from his footsteps, and how he had set himself down next to me, he was being cautious.

Ugh, what are you doing here, just go away, and light up the place or something.

No words are being exchanged between the two of us, and I want to ask him about the candles and the light, but I can't, with the amount of sniffing that I was doing.

And then out of nowhere, I feel something slip over my shoulders, and I would have screamed, if he didn't finally speak.

"It's okay..." Seyong softly reassures.

I can feel his hand gently patting my back as an attempt to comfort me, and the stiffness in it, shows me that he's a little uncomfortable. But despite that, after a couple of more pats, he then gives me a tiny push, and it's enough to have me lean onto his shoulder. I manage to catch the tiniest sigh come out of him, and it sounds kind of sad; something very different to his usual exaggerated or annoyed scoffs. And because my feeling for safety overcomes me, my body takes a mind of its own, and I find myself burying my face into his sweater.

It's disgusting, I know, but Seyong's the only thing I can feel secured by right now, and I feel as though I need to hold onto him, to calm down.

For a while, his body freezes, and is tensed, but then he slowly loosens up, and goes back to patting me in a soothing manner. Neither of us speaks as this happens, and as the minutes fly by, I find my hiccups gradually come down to an end. Seyong would switch from patting my back, to gently rubbing it, and from all the crying I had been doing, the gesture is enough to put me in a daze.

Taking my lack of ugly crying as a sign that he can now say something, Seyong then gingerly asks me if I'm alright, and I slowly nod, while croaking out a "sort of". We fall silent again, but when I feel his arm slowly remove itself from me, it causes me to straighten up a bit, now feeling alert. I can feel him reposition himself as well, and when he tells me that he had forgotten to take out the lighter from the draw for the candles, and that he was going to go back for them, my hand automatically grabs a hold of the sleeve of his jumper.

I want light, I need light, but right now, I don't want to be left alone. 

"It's okay, I'll be right back," he gently says.

Seyong then gives my hand a small tap to coax me into letting go. He then repeats his words as if to further reassure me, and then gives me the candles to hold, but I just stay soundless, as my ears pick up on his movements of getting further and further away. In the midst of him trying to ease me, he lets out an "Ow!" and I can't help but snort out a laugh. He then hisses out a swear word, and then claims that he was going to punish the chair or something, as soon as the electricity would come back.

For some reason, I feel the sudden urge to head towards his whereabouts, and that's what my body attempts to do. Bit by bit, I blindly move in the direction that I think he is at, but come to a stop, when he brightly informs me of his discovery of the lighter. That’s great news, but then I'm greatly startled, as something collides into me from out of nowhere, and the impact is enough to make me fall down, and lay flat onto my back.

Ouch...

And not only do I end up feeling a small hit on my forehead, but something strange could also be felt being pressed against my lips.

The thought of what this odd thing could have been, is finally answered, when the electricity began working again, allowing all of the lights within the household to turn on once more.

And as soon as my mind managed to register how the soft object touching my lips is Seyong’s, I screamed.