The Day of the Talent Show

Cooking for Love

As I passed by the basketball courts, I heard my name being called out. Looking over, I saw Insoo waving to me, and as soon as I saw Gunwoo there with him, I somehow found myself pretty much bolting over towards the two.

"How was your detention?" asked Gunwoo, once I was in talking range. When he saw the confused look on my face, he told me how Insoo had told him about it.

Man, everything just seems to spread like wildfire whenever I tell Insoo something...

I nervously scratched the back of my neck, "Oh, it was okay."

But deep inside, I was trying to control my happiness, knowing that he was thinking about me...about me!

"Really?" asked Insoo from out of nowhere, "Well this is a first, I thought Seyong was with you?"

Even at the mention of that annoying red-head, I was too occupied at the thought of Gunwoo thinking about me to even care. Oh come on Insoo, Gunwoo thought about me, why won’t you let me savor up this moment?

"Hey, speaking of Seyong, there he is," pointed out Gunwoo.

What?

Nooooooo!

Seyong soon came over, and that's when Insoo suggested a game of basketball. The three of them agreed, and Gunwoo insisted that I joined in, but I shyly shook my head and told him that I wasn't in the mood to play. Hearing this, Seyong decided to pull out the 'chicken' comment, and even 'flapped' his 'wings'.

Pssh, who is he calling a chicken?!

So because of this, I picked up the nearest pebble, and then aimed it at his head. Or at least, I tried to. Both he and Insoo ended up laughing at how it completely missed him, so I gave in and decided to play.

———————————————

Sitting down on the bench nearby, I fanned my face with both of my hands. The game ended up as a tie, and I was so happy about being able to play alongside Gunwoo. Insoo and Seyong were a team, while Gunwoo and I were a team. Yay for team Hyewoo! Or Gunri...? Well, Gunwoo liked the sound of either of those names, and I swear I felt my insides just explode into a million rainbows.

He likes our couple name, I can't believe he likes out couple name, yay!

As Insoo and Seyong continued their game of basketball, with me just chilling away on the sidelines, Gunwoo then came over and joined me. I couldn’t stop inwardly giggling, and had to hide my giddy act by either pretending to scratch my lips, or stretch in the most awkward ways.

Woo, go me for being secretive.

All of the sudden, a chuckle heard from him made me froze. Oh no, am I caught?!

“Can’t keep still, huh?” questioned Gunwoo, as he turned his attention towards me.

“Um...” I then let out a somewhat nervous laugh, and that was it.

Aaaaah, he’s just so cute, it’s hard for me to not be so...weird!

But thankfully, he didn’t think anything more about my awkward chortle, so that's a relief.

“I’ve been meaning to ask you something,” he said.

I looked back at him, “Y-Yeah?”

“You’re coming to the school’s talent show, right?”

Oh, I almost forgot about that.

“Mm...I don’t know...” I replied slowly.

The frown on his face showed me that he didn’t like my answer. He then mentioned how he was going to perform on the night, and at the mention of that, I think I might have agreed into going a tiny bit too fast...just maybe.

Gunwoo was delighted to hear me say ‘yes’, and the way his face lit up made my insides feel all warm again. I guess seeing him smile because of me, was like the equivalent of accomplishing something really good. Sort of like peeing, in a way...like that really awesome feeling you get when you empty out your bladder like that, and everything just suddenly feels so much better? Okay, maybe that wasn’t the right thing to compare it with...

As I tried to find the right words to describe how happy his smile made me, I snapped out of my thoughts, when he suddenly reached out towards me.

Oh my God, what’s happening, is he going to kiss me like in one of those dramas?! But I didn’t even get to eat a mint and check my breathe and—

He pulled away, and in his hand was a leaf.

Oh...I see.

“You had a leaf in your hair,” he stated, while showing it to me.

Blushing, I quietly thanked him for picking it off of me. I guess as his way of saying ‘you’re welcome’, he playfully ruffled my hair, which had my cheeks flushing even more. Our moment could have continued, if he didn’t suddenly get hit by a basketball.

Wait a minute, what?!

I whipped my head over to the direction it had come from, to see Seyong lightly jogging towards us. “Sorry hyung!” he called out, “I was just passing the ball~”

My eyes narrowed at the -head, “Yeah, at his face?!”

“But that pass could have easily been caught!” retorted Seyong.

Ignoring him, I turned my attention back to Gunwoo and asked how he was. He rubbed his face for a bit, saying that it didn’t hurt or anything. I think he must have sensed my unsure feelings, so he let out a light laugh as an attempt to convince me. Oh Gunwoo, why are you always getting yourself hurt like that? It really makes me want to cry.

Getting up from my seat, I walked over to pick up the orange ball, and then pegged it at Seyong's face.

But he managed to catch it on time.

Damn...

"What the hell?!" he yelled out, just before his eyebrows pinched together in annoyance.

I took this chance to mock his words from before, "I was just passing the ball~"

And then the next thing you knew, we were at each other's throats again, trying to see who could asphyxiate the other first.

———————————————

Pushing the door open, I entered the huge hall that was already swarming with people. The place was decorated nicely, and the people there were now starting to fill up the rows of chairs that were put out for this occasion. It was finally the day of the awaited talent show, and I was looking forward to seeing Gunwoo sing. Of course, I was also here to cheer on Minah, and Insoo, and Junkyu, and Chaejin, and...yep.

Okay, so maybe I'm also a tiny itty bit curious of how Seyong was going to be...

I mean, I've heard Junkyu rap, I've heard Insoo sing, and Chaejin's voice is pretty unique, but Seyong?

Shaking that thought away, I scanned the rows of chairs, and managed to squeeze myself into a vacant spot. The lights soon turned off, and the music teacher appeared on the stage, as people began to hush their voices.

"Welcome to H2 High's annual talent show! Whether you're a family member, a student, or simply a friend being invited here by the first two options, we hope you'll enjoy yourselves!" she excitedly greeted.

As she continued to speak like how a commentator would, I noticed these booklets being handed around. Thanking the girl next to me, I took a copy, just before passing it on to the next person. Oh, I know what this is! It’s one of those pamphlets that show you the order of the performances, so we would know who would be coming up on stage, with the ‘title’ of their song and all of that.

“...So let’s help these boys find their ‘beautiful target’!” announced the teacher, which had the audience clapping.

The curtains slowly up opened up, and soft music started to play. As someone began to sing, I noticed how nice the smoke machine made everything out to be. Wow, since when did the school get a smoke machine? And wow, isn’t that Jinyoung?! And...and now Sunwoo’s— I mean, Baro, or whatever he calls himself, is rapping!

One by one, the audience cheered happily for each performance that went on. The different styles that each group had was refreshing, and the energy was great; I guess it was kind of like a mini concert or something? Zico’s group was just oozing with style, and I think I might have been partially deaf in one ear (or maybe both ears?) when Yukwon and Minkyuk did those body rolls. Actually, I kind of also one of those girls that were screaming too...but still! These girls can really scream.

After that, Subin’s group came on, and they did a disco-like dance, where everything was just really colourful. Heck, even the name of their song, ‘Bling Bling’ sort of gave it away. When Minah came up, she and the other girls looked absolutely beautiful in their dresses.

Not being able to contain my excitement, I stood up from my seat and crazily waved at them. “Minaaaah!” I shouted out, hoping that she would somehow see me.

I managed to make eye contact with Yura, and just before she gave me a smile, she nudged Minah, who eagerly waved back at me. Looking back at the booklet, it made me so confused as to why they called themselves 'Girl's Day'. Actually, who's coming up with all of these names? 'B1A4', 'Block B', 'Dal Shabet', 'Girl's Day', and now...'Rania'? But whoa, these girl's are really good with doing those 'ing-like' moves...doctor, doctor, feel good~ Hold on, is this even legal?  

"...And up next, we have MYNAME!" called someone from the stage.