Wait, It's Actually Real?!

Cooking for Love

When our truce is done, I feel at ease, that there would be no more misunderstandings. I then carefully step over towards the wooden shelf, and begin to place in the bottles that I had collected together from the fall. Thankfully, nothing had spilt, and hopefully keeping them in there would prevent them from tipping over again.

Satisfied with my work, I then turn back to help Seyong with the brooms, but the look on his face makes me blink. His pace has slowed down, and his shoulders have slightly dropped, making his stance no longer have that confident aura flowing out from him. I can’t see his face now that he has his back turned to me, but I have a really strange feeling that he doesn’t want to look at me right now.

It’s making me uncomfortable, as though I had just done something wrong, so I warily approach him.

“Hey, are you...okay?” I cautiously ask.

“Yeah,” he replies, with his back still turned to me.

I bite my lip and draw my eyebrows together a little. “Are you sure?” I question once more.

He nods, and then finally turns around, to stifle back a yawn. “I’m just a little tired,” he says, while giving his arms a slight stretch.

I give him a weird look, not feeling very convinced at the forced movement, “Okay then...”

Still feeling my gaze on him, Seyong blinks at me, “What?”

I examine him for a second longer, and then shake my head. “Nothing,” I say, and then look elsewhere.

He suddenly starts chuckling, which causes me to look at him once more. “Aigoo,” he coos. “Are you worried about me?”

I am taken aback by his sudden change in mood. “Huh?”

A sly smile then makes its way onto his face. He then places his hands onto his cheeks in a way that I’m assuming is supposed to be ‘cute’, as the smirk soon dissolves into an ‘innocent’ pout. “Hyeri-ah, you care about me?” he asks, in a sugary tone. 

I blankly stare at him for a bit, just before slowly shaking my head. “How can you be so disgusting?” I murmur.

Seyong manages to pick up my insult, and lets out a grumpy huff. “You’re just jealous that I’m oozing with charms that you don’t have,” he defends.

Well if that’s the case, then I would rather not have any 'charms' at all.

Stepping over towards the plastic chair, I plop myself down onto it with a sigh. Seyong stays where he is, and just decides to lean on the wall, since there aren’t any other seats. In the midst of our silence, when an idea suddenly strikes me, and it was so painfully obvious of our way to getting out, that it just makes me feel so—

“...Stupid,” I murmur.

Seyong gives me a weird look, “What?”

I hit my forehead with the palm of my hand, “Oh my God, why am I so dumb, I can’t believe I didn’t think of this!”

Seyong flattens his eyes, and then looks to the side, “Yeah, you can be kind of dumb, actually...”

I ignore his grumble, and then tell him to take out his phone, to text one of his other friends to help us out.

But then I feel my glitter of hope instantly crumble, as he holds out the (now) lifeless device.

“I can’t,” he says. “It ran out of battery.”

Ugh, well it wouldn’t have had its battery drained, if you weren’t playing your stupid bubble game!

I bury my head into my hands, and then groan to myself.

“Don’t you have yours with you?” he asks.

I shake my head, still resting it in my palms. “No, I forgot to take it with me this morning.”

Letting out a sigh for what felt like millionth time, I began to tell Seyong how Insoo had tricked me into coming here. Maybe it was because I was bored, or that I felt the need to keep us talking, but it made me feel a bit better. Actually, maybe I was only feeling better, because it was a way to pass the time.

Or maybe it just felt better to voice out my complaints, overall.

“Wait, a secret exit?” repeats Seyong, curiosity now on his face.

I nod, feeling rather sour at how easily I had believed Insoo.

“There actually is one in here,” says Seyong. “I mean, at least I think so, because I remember Zico telling me about it.”

My mouth slightly opened at what I was hearing; this secret door thing could actually be real?!

The two of us instantly begin to scan the room, and once our eyes land on the door that had been blended into the corner of the place, we slowly make our way over towards it.

Why didn’t we notice this before?!

Seyong places his hand onto the metal handle, and with a push, it clicks open, to reveal the road next to the school. We both walk out into the sunlight, and after walking up a few steps, we find ourselves on a pathway, that students would normally take, on their way to the school. I’m still amazed at this discovery, and am even more at awe to know what the use for this random door was for now.

The mystery of the out-of-nowhere-door that I always see on my way here is now solved.

Wow, I should totally become a detective.

Seyong scratches his head and ponders out loud, “I wonder what the time is?” He then catches the first man that happened to be walking by, and asked for the time.

“Two o’clock,” replies the man. He then gives us both a suspicious look, “Aren’t you two supposed to be in class?”

Seyong beams at him. “We were let out early,” he smoothly fibs.

The man nods, still looking a bit sussed, but continues on with his business anyway.

“So we were stuck in there for roughly an hour, huh?” I say.

Seyong nods, “Yeah, I’m so glad to be out. Come on, let’s just go home.”

He starts walking, but then I stop him. “What about our things?” I point out.

“Eh, Insoo would have probably taken them with him,” he says, with a shrug. “If not, then maybe Chaejin.”

I crinkle my eyebrows a little, “Should we just go inside and—“

“Are you crazy?” interrupts Seyong. “We’ll get in trouble by the teachers if we do!”

Oh geez, how could I forget that?

“Home it is then,” I conclude.

“It’s okay though,” begins Seyong. “If Insoo doesn’t have our bags, then we’ll just egg his house.”

The idea causes my lips to curl up into a smirk. “How about we just egg his house anyway?” I suggest, “We’ll get Chaejin too, because he was involved.”

Seyong chuckles, clearly amused; “Deal.”