A Friend, A Good Friend

The Invisible Pranksters

Mingyu and Wonwoo's friendship blossomed as days passed. Despite having slight personality differences, they managed to work it out between them. 

Mingyu was an outgoing person, while Wonwoo was more reserved and loved to spent his free time cooped up in one corner reading a novel. If you think about it, both personalities, though different, balanced each other out. 

The older provided Mingyu calmness. Aside from complaining about his Maths teacher and about how the principal always seemed to have a stick up his , Wonwoo would talk about personal things, like how he just bought this book at half price, or how his dad just brought home some gaming console, much to his brother's pleasant surprise. 

Other than discussing about what kind of pranks they could do, Wonwoo seemed to pull Mingyu back to reality where being a prankster wasn't in a way normal for an ordinary student. Being with Wonwoo made Mingyu feel as though he was just a normal boy. No tragic family background, no pranking whatsoever. Just Mingyu and Wonwoo, two students from Pledis High who became good friends. 

To Wonwoo, however, Mingyu helped him embrace his adventurous side the older didn't dare go into alone. He had told Mingyu about it once, saying that he had read a book with so many action and suspense, he almost felt like he wanted to be a part of it. And sure enough, the younger finally gave him a chance to experience it. 

Mingyu felt like a dream. 

Maybe that was the reason he allowed himself to fall. 

Whenever Wonwoo thought about the revelation of his feelings for the other boy, his heart rate sped up, and he didn't know if it was in a good or bad way. He'd feel anxiousness bubble it's way to the surface, threatening to take over Wonwoo's mind. To him, to others, this wasn't supposed to be normal. 

Then he would think once more. Would this friendship Wonwoo created with Mingyu even last? He was a year older than him. Once the year was over, he was going to university, and the younger would still be here. Then comes all the work that came with university. Even if they do still keep in contact, would they eventually still slowly drift away like the ocean waves? 

Wonwoo didn't like the feeling in his chest when he had those thoughts. His heart constantly told him to embrace whatever that happened in the present, and not dwell too much about the future. 

So that's what he did. 

Soonyoung's previous words about liking someone from the same gender were like an anchor. Whenever negative thoughts and the feeling of anxiousness resurface, he reminded himself of those words. Then he'd look at Mingyu a little too long than what was normal, just staring at his face, his complexion, his eyes that sparkled when he smiles that big smile of his, and heck, he actually really did like Kim Mingyu. 

*

"Commencing Mission MinWon-Possible: Wrap Aluminum Foil in a Random Classroom," Mingyu whispered as he signalled for Wonwoo to enter after him through the back entrance of the school. 

Wonwoo stealthily followed after the younger with light footsteps, who held up a finger towards his lips and pointed to a nearby security camera. He then gestured to him how to sneak through the blind spots he was already familiar with. 

Mingyu then started walking towards the direction he had gestured to before. However, after a few steps, he felt someone hold onto his arm sleeve. He turned around to see a nervous-looking Wonwoo following behind, who widened his eyes innocently as if he wasn't tightly grabbing Mingyu's sleeve for dear life. 

Smiling amusedly, he pried the other's hand off, only to grab it with his own. He then turned back around to continue walking. If only Mingyu had eyes at the back of his head, he would have seen the flushed and shocked look on Wonwoo's face.

Mingyu pulled Wonwoo quietly behind him, and brought him through different directions and in different positions to avoid the cameras. At some moments, he'd have to crouch down or keep his back to the wall. 

Then there was the security guard. Wonwoo pretty much knew when the security guard would rest in the security room. He would patrol the school premises twice before going for his break. It was during that crucial moment that Mingyu and Wonwoo would set off for the classrooms. The moment the door to the security room could be heard shut closed, Mingyu, who was still holding on to Wonwoo's hand like it was the most natural thing ever, quickly went about towards the stairs. 

Now, the main problem would lie on the camera facing the hallway. There was absolutely no blind spots there, and so the only solution would be to cover it with a black cloth Mingyu had brought. Sometimes, he would deactivate that one camera using the knob at the back of it (A/N: just a note, I'm making this up. I have no idea if such cameras exist so just bear with me lmao) using a screwdriver. If he deactivated the camera, then the TV in the security room might show static, which could raise suspicion from the guard there. At least with the black cloth, he wouldn't notice anyways as the hallway was dark except for the EXIT sign at the end. 

When that was done, Mingyu finally turned to Wonwoo and released his hand. The loss felt weird to Mingyu and he had the sudden urge to grab the older's hand once again. 

"Okay, Wonwoo hyung," he whispered. "Since you're the master mind behind this prank, you should choose which classroom you want to do this in. This is for the Year 1s if I'm not mistaken..."

Wonwoo's ears perked up. "Year 1s, you say?" His lips morphed into a smile. "I think I know which classroom we should do this prank in." 

The older lead the other towards the classroom with the sign 1-2 at the top of the door. As Mingyu entered after him and saw a name with the surname Jeon written on the duty roster, he realised with a smile why he had chosen this classroom. 

"Your brother, huh?" Mingyu asked, widening his smile as the latter turned to acknowledge him. 

"Yup. Figured maybe I could have something worth listening to during dinner time," Wonwoo replied as he dropped the bag he was carrying on the ground softly. 

Mingyu did the same, and spoke to keep the conversation going, and plus, he loved listening to him talk about his family. "You actually have dinner with your whole family?" The other nodded. "That's cool. We used to just eat whenever it's around dinner time. We don't wait up for someone to be home first." Mingyu took out two long slim boxes of aluminium foil and set them on the desk nearest to him. "Shall we start now?" he asked, as a mischievous yet an excited smile formed on the two boys' faces.

While Mingyu started wrapping the tables, Wonwoo did the chairs. Mingyu tore out a considerable amount of aluminium foil and started working on the table legs, joining more foils to the corners of the desk, and the top surface until the whole table was covered. He realised then, that having Wonwoo meant that he didn't have to rush as much, since the work can be done at double the speed he's always worked in. 

"So how do you eat dinner now?" Wonwoo suddenly enquired, making Mingyu glance up at him. "I mean... You said you used to just eat whenever, without having to wait for anyone. So how about now?"

It would be a lie if Mingyu said he wasn't surprised by the older's question. He didn't realised he even told him what he used to do. Mingyu knew whenever he talked to Wonwoo, he wouldn't get into details about his current life at home. He would just mention how he was alone then, or no one was at home as they would be home the next day.

Wonwoo, on the other hand, talked about his family like they were the most precious people in the planet each time. He would laugh while talking about something funny that happened between his parents, and spoke with pride when he told him about his younger brother's academic achievement. 

"Mingyu?" 

The younger shook his head. He didn't realised he had stopped wrapping the table and was just staring at the ground.

Wonwoo must have detected something as he continued, "Sorry, I shouldn't have asked. You should talk to me about personal things when you want to." 

"I... Yeah. It's okay, really," Mingyu replied. "You talk to me about everything yet I don't say anything about my personal life. It's unfair. I'm sorry."

"Sorry? Mingyu, why would you be sorry for not being able to tell me anything about your personal life. After all, it is called personal for a reason." Wonwoo had stopped working too and had his full attention on the younger. 

Mingyu turned to face Wonwoo too. They were both just separated by the table Mingyu was wrapping, and were facing each other from under the table as they sat on the ground. "I'm not good with this friends thing. I can't... I just can't seem to open up and each time I try to because I actually do want to be closer with someone, my throat just closes up and I can't speak. I... I really want to be good friends with you hyung." 

Wonwoo stared at him.  "Okay, Mingyu. That's great, it really is. I'd love to be good friends with you too. The thing is, friends trust in each other and don't pry into things the other isn't comfortable talking about. I'll wait until you're comfortable. Something bad must've happened if it had affected you like this."

Mingyu could see the comforting smile on his face, and almost broke down because, Jeon Wonwoo was so understanding and so nice to him, and he's just so so happy he walked into his life. "Thank you, Hyung."

"It's no problem," Wonwoo said assuringly, and Mingyu could feel his gaze lingering on him as he went back to wrapping the table quietly. 

That night, as the two boys worked on their first prank since Wonwoo joined, something in their friendship had definitely changed. There was a much deeper understanding between the two. One day, Mingyu would be able to finally let his past out to Wonwoo. For now, he was just going to enjoy the older's presence with him in the quiet, dark classroom. 

*

Fifteen minutes later, the classroom was filled with silvery furniture. The desks, chairs, noticeboard, whiteboard and even the markers on the teacher's desk were wrapped with aluminium foil. 

The two pranksters stood at the back of the classroom, just staring at their work. 

"I'm going to be emotional," Wonwoo joked, making light laughter fill the room.

"Well, you're officially my partner-in-crime, Jeon Wonwoo," Mingyu announced, turning to him.

"That's Wonwoo hyung for you, Kim Mingyu. Remember you're younger than me," he replied, punching the taller's shoulder playfully.

"Whatever," Mingyu spoke, smiling widely. "We should head out now, before the security guard catches us here," he suggested, and Wonwoo nodded, picking his bag up and slinging it over his shoulder.

He took one last look around the classroom, smiling proudly. My first prank. 

"So," Mingyu continued. "We exit the same way we come in, okay?"

As they left the classroom quietly, they looked around to see if the coast was clear. Then, they began their descent down the stairs. 

There were only a few steps left till they were free, when all of a sudden, they heard a noise coming from their source of exit. There were footsteps pacing right outside the door, and they smelled the aroma of smoke, which meant the security guard must be having a smoke break. Well what do you know, we're screwed. 

"It's okay, we're not screwed," Mingyu assured, and it was then Wonwoo realised he'd spoken his thoughts aloud. "We just have to wait till he comes back in."

"Can't we like, I don't know, use the main exit?" Wonwoo asked, which got him an are you really serious? look from the younger.

"Hyung, I don't mean to be rude, but... That's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard you say."

Right. How can I be so dumb? The main entrance is even more secured with cameras...

The look of realisation on Wonwoo's face brought a laugh from the other. "I guess you figured it out."

"Yes..."

Suddenly, Mingyu grabbed hold of Wonwoo's wrist, and dragged him underneath the staircase. "We're safer here, and we can hear if the security guard comes back in," he spoke.

"Oh? Oh... Okay," Wonwoo replied, eyes wide as he felt heat rise to his cheeks due to Mingyu's fingers around his wrist. He thanked the darkness for covering his face up.

The younger let go of his hand, and the duo took a seat on the ground, albeit closely due to the small space. They could sit a bit further. That is, if they wanted to be seen.

Wonwoo looked everywhere else but towards the boy sitting right next to him. He was extremely conscious of the lack of distance between them. The feel of his shoulder and arm against his, actually felt good, and the sound of his breathing was comforting. 

"Hyung," he heard Mingyu whispered, and instantly turned to the side, which was a mistake on his part.

Because Kim Mingyu's face was only a breath away from his now.

Wonwoo's eyes widened, and he was pretty sure the sound of his erratic heartbeat could be heard in the eerily quiet space. His mind was in a jumble of thoughts and he tried to control his breathing he thought he was about to have an asthma attack. 

He was pretty sure his response didn't go unnoticed by the younger. Heck, he could feel his breath on his own lips and God help him he wanted nothing more than to close up the distance. 

Ba-bum, goes his heart.

Ba-bum.

Ba-bum.

Wonwoo didn't know who initated it first it could be him but at that moment, time stopped.

Ba-bum.

His lips landed on Mingyu's.

Ba-bum ba-bum ba-bum ba-bum.

 

 

A/N: Oh wow. I did not plan that ending. But I guess you readers deserve this for waiting so long for this chapter. x3 Just wanna say thank you so much for reading and subscribing and commenting and I love you all not in a creepy way. I don't wanna drag this author's note so let me just finish this off by saying how much I love Meanie and OMG DID YOU WATCH THE MTV IDOLS OF ASIA WHEN HOSHI PICKED WONWOO AND MINGYU TO SHARE THE DRINK IT'S FREAKING FATE I TELL YOU. Follow me on my twitter @meanie1706 <<< just click here and FOLLOW. I'm not forcing you ok. 

Ooooh aaand, a special thank you to my twitter friend I made not long ago. Just thank you for being my first twitter friend who's been supporting my fic and actually wants to talk to me ;-; . Follow him on his twitter too @meaniemondays and read his Meanie fic if you haven't: Cookies <<< click hereeee~~~ He's pretty much more responsible than me and uploads chapters responsibly unlike the irresponsible me who loves to procrastinate. xD

Ok byeeeeeeee~