Fishy Situation

The Invisible Pranksters

Just a heads up, I'm changing from first person POV to a third person POV. (: Tell me your opinions on which you think is better~

KRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIINGGGGGGG.

"WHO THE SET THE HOUSE ON FIRE?" Mingyu bolted from his sleep, before realising that the alarm was just his morning alarm. 

He ran a hand down his face sleepily as the other reached for his phone to stop the sound. It was a Saturday, but he still had work. He sighed, thinking if he could maybe call in sick today. However, a day off meant no pay, and how else could he fund his pranking materials? Like that fish he was planning to buy for his second prank. His lips suddenly tilted up to form a smile as he thought through his plan once more.

His targets for prank has no specific criteria, if he has to be really honest. It could be one of his classmates, or the teacher, or maybe the whole school. He also makes sure that his pranks weren't too dangerous. After all, he does this just for the funny reactions that come out of it. 

Placing a fish in a locker won't be too mean...will it? I mean, we all eat fish, right?

Deciding that he was in fact wasting time, he quickly got up to shower and get ready for the day.

*

Mingyu was manning the cashier of the convenience store when a group of boys came in. He recognised them straight away from his school, and it just so happened that one of them was none other than his upcoming prank target, Jeon Wonwoo.

"Welcome!" he welcomed them, a little too enthusiastic.

The group of friends dispersed to get whatever they wanted from the store, and with nothing else to do, Mingyu's eyes just followed them one by one. When one of them walked towards him to pay for his items, Mingyu flashed a smile.

"Hello, is this all you're getting?" he asked, pointing to the bag of chips and a bottle of cola.

The boy just nodded, taking his wallet out from his pocket. If Mingyu wasn't mistaken, his name was Wen Junhui, an exchange student from China and also one of Wonwoo's good friends.

He recognised both Junhui and Wonwoo as both were from the main commitee of the school's Book Club. He remembered being approached by the two during the club carnival early that year, where the different clubs promote and recruit new members. He ended up not joining any clubs that year. 

After paying for the items, the next two of the group of friends paid for their items as well. However, Mingyu didn't know any of them. When it was finally Wonwoo's turn to pay, he internally snickered, finding it amusing that he had bumped into his prank target just a day after he decided on it.

Mingyu observed the choice of food the older has chosen, taking note of the cup ramen, instant sausages, and a bottle of cola.  

As he was scanning the items, he didn't expect for a conversation to start.

"Hey, you're from our school, right?" Wonwoo asked.

"Yes," Mingyu replied, eyes widening slightly. "I'm surprised you recognise me."

He smiled in response. "I think I've seen you around school before. You're working part-time?" 

Nodding he said, "Yup, gotta earn some money to spend myself."

"Ah, I get you." As Mingyu placed the last food item into a plastic bag, Wonwoo spoke again, "Thanks. Guess I'll see you around."

Wonwoo made his cup ramen before he joined his group of friends who were eating at the tables outside the store. 

"He seems so kind..." Mingyu mumbled to himself. "Will it be too much if I prank him? Hmm..." Maybe I should prank Junhui instead.

A customer entering cut his train of thoughts, and he just concluded to himself that he'll stick to his plan.

*

The days pass like a breeze, and it was already Wednesday. Normally, although it was school break, students would still be catching up with their studies, or maybe working their part-time jobs. Mingyu, on the other hand, had finally taken the day off and was simply laying on the sofa with his long legs sticking out from the other end, watching Pororo playing on a kids' channel. His sister was out working at as a head supervisor at a branded cosmetic shop, so he was alone at home with nothing to do.

Halfway through the kids' show, Mingyu abruptly got up, suddenly deciding that he would commence Mission Ming-possible: Prank Jeon Wonwoo tonight and now would be the best time to buy his materials. Changing into approrpriate clothing, he grabbed his phone and wallet and left, not forgetting his bicycle.

*

Nightfall came, and Mingyu made sure his sister was asleep in her room before he took the fish he bought out from the freezer. He remembered the short conversation he had with the stall owner when he bought it. 

"Aunty, I'll take that fish please," Mingyu requested, pointing to a particular fish half burried in ice.

"Cooking for your family?" The stall owner asked kindly, as she packed the fish.

He smiled awkwardly in response. "Yeah...I'm cooking it...hah..."

Tonight, he was again dressed in all black, fit for the situation. He dressed comfortably as he knew it was gonna be a troublesome task. Since he didn't know which locker belonged to Wonwoo, he would need to picklock every single one till he finds his. (If you didn't know, lockers in Korean schools are at the back of their class.) 

He went through the same route as before, parking his bicycle at a secluded place a street or two away from the school, before entering through the back gate.

As the third years' classes are located at the top floor, he'd have to pay extra attention to the security cameras around. Thankfully, there weren't any security guards to worry about. 

With fluid movements, Mingyu slid by the walls, duck under cameras till he got to the classrooms. Now, this was the hard part. When he had sabotaged the teachers' chairs by going into each classroom, he had needed to mess around with the security cameras facing the doors of the classrooms. One wrong move and his face will be exposed and that was it for him. This time, he'd brought a screw driver to switch off the camera facing Wonwoo's class, 3-2. 

Letting his back lean against the wall under the camera, Mingyu took out his screwdriver and turned the power button off. The small red LED light that was blinking stopped, indicating it was switched off. He was now free to enter the classroom. 

As usual, he picklocked the door and went in, moving towards the lockers at the back. He stared at the 30+ lockers and huffed. 

"Let's get this started, shall we?" He whispered to himself. "Now... Where are you, Wonwoo's locker?"

After 10 minutes of opening each locker and checking the names of the books inside, Mingyu finally found what he was looking for. 

If only they put their freaking names on their locker door, I wouldn't have wasted time. 

Upon opening the locker door, a picture greeted at the inner part of it. Mingyu could make out the picture of Wonwoo and what seemed to be his family. Must be nice... He recognised his younger brother who was in the first year of school. 

Making some space in between his books, Mingyu took out the fish wrapped in paper and placed it in between them. Contemplating whether or not he should place the fish without the paper, he decided not to. He didn't want to ruin the books. 

Just as he planned, he then took out a post-it note with the words You're too nice it's fishy on it. He didn't know what it even meant but that was the point— it wasn't supposed to mean anything, just plain nonsense. 

He grinned to himself as he closed the locker. By the time school re-opened next week, the class would smell like the ocean... or a market. 

*

The weekend came and went, and soon it was school again. Mingyu set his alarm an hour early, so he wouldn't be late. Knowing himself, it'll take him at least 30 minutes for himself to get up from bed the moment his alarm rang. 

After he had gotten ready, he went out to see his sister preparing breakfast in her work uniform. 

"Eat first before you go, I have to go now. Remember to lock the door when you leave!" She reminded as she left, and once again the house fell into deep silence. 

Mingyu took a seat at the dining table, quickly scarfing down his breakfast and then placing the plate into the sink. He remembered to lock the door when he left. 

As he walked through the entrance gate of the school, the discipline master was there to rush everyone in. Mingyu politely bowed to him as he walked past. 

Some students he knew waved at him as a friendly gesture when they saw him, and he smiled at them in response. Mingyu thought about how he really didn't have any proper best friends in school, just friends he talked to in class and during lunch. However, he never really did have any close friends he could tell secrets to, nor hang out with during holidays. Despite all that, he was still quite happy with his school life.

As he was going up the stairs, a group of students from the fourth floor, the third years, came rushing down. They had their hands cupping their nose and mouth. 

"Oh my gosh, what the hell was that smell? It's like a fish market!" One girl spoke. 

Then, before he could snicker to himself, Wonwoo ran down the stairs past him, one hand pinching his nose and the other holding something away from himself. 

Of course, that something was none other than the fish from five days ago. 

The crowd of students going up the stairs too parted like the red sea as Wonwoo ran through them, most probably throwing it out. 

"Yah, Jeon Wonwoo! Did you went fishing and left the fish in your locker?" Someone shouted. 

"Ahh, what is this smell?" Another girl spoke, annoyed. 

Mingyu took his time walking to class, hearing the mixed reactions from students. 

"This is definitely the work of the pranksters. They couldn't have left something more nice-smelling than a fish? Now it just smells like a market..."

"Dude, class 3-2 just smells like a fish market!" Someone laughed. 

"Never been to a market before? Just go to class 3-2 and you'll straight away experience it!"

Thankfully, rather than angry responses, most students just felt amused about the fishy situation. More than anything, they found their teachers' reactions to the smell more entertaining. 

Now I'm looking forward to their reactions to the computer lab. 

It was during his break time when he finally found out just that. 

Apparently, a class was going to the computer lab to complete an e-assignment, which they were dreading. But lo and behold, the moment they had entered with their teacher, the computer lab had been turned into a garden. The teacher's reaction was that of panic as he wondered how it was possible to have plants grow out from the keyboard.

It may not be possible, but it was Ming-possible.

He'd also found out from the gossips that the fishy smell from class 3-2 was still present, most prominently in someone's locker. 

All in all, Pledis High was shook. And he could tell that another assembly was being set by Principal Choi.

Mingyu placed his tray down on the table with his group of friends, who were chattering about the fish prank.

"...they tried spraying deodorant around the class, but it just gave of another whole weird smell!" one of his friends, Seokmin, laughed. "And you know how the fish was found in someone's locker, right? His books now smell like fish too, and much stronger than what was spread throughout the class!"

"Oh, and and," another friend, Jeonghan, continued, "everyone in the class had wrapped their ties around their mouth and nose the whole time. A student even called her maid to come and bring like, five bottles of Febreeze."

Mingyu listened in and laughed along with them. 

"Yah, he ran past me with the fish this morning. It was hilarious!" he finally gave in his input on the situation.

Just then, the third years slowly entered the canteen as it was their break time too. True to Jeonghan's words, most of them had their ties around their nose and mouths, and it was indeed an amusing sight. The smell of fish lingered with them as well. 

"Hey, hey," Seokmin called for our attention. "If I'm not mistaken, it's that person's locker that had the fish in it." He pointed to someone across the canteen who was lining up for food.

He followed his finger and true enough, it was Jeon Wonwoo. He looked slightly annoyed, if not amused. Only his eyes could be seen anyways. He turned around when his friend had talked to him, and it seemed to be a joke because he playfully punched his friend's shoulder. 

Mingyu didn't realise he was staring until his eyes locked with Wonwoo's, and afraid of getting caught, he laughed and turned back towards his own friends. It'd probably just look like he was laughing at him like some other students there.

Midway through his break, there was an announcement through the speaker.

"Attention all students, please proceed to the assembly area in fifteen minutes. I repeat. All students, please proceed to the assembly area in fifteen minutes. Thank you."

Ahh...let the next round of nagging begin.
 

 

A/N: Chapter 2~~~~ so yeah, please do give me your opinion if I should continue in third person or first person point-of-view. :D My exams are in 3 days so I won't be updating anytime in the next 2 weeks. Thank you all for subscribing I'm so happy ;-; If you want updates from me I've opened a new twitter account at meanie1706. ^^ 

 

Pls excuse any typos I'll edit them when my exams are over!