A Pick-locking Lesson

The Invisible Pranksters

A "Boo!" followed by a loud thump on the table right next to his resting head made Wonwoo jump up awake. Puzzled, he looked around and found Mingyu looming over him, the familiar smile on his face. 

"Were you resting?" Mingyu asked, taking a seat beside the older.

Wonwoo rubbed a knuckle over an eye. "Kinda... I didn't get much sleep last night..." He murmured. 

"I'm guessing you and your friends had a movie marathon?" 

"More like binge watch all the episodes of a drama," Wonwoo replied. 

Remembering the drama suddenly had the older sit up straighter, more alert. Right. The drama. The... gay character. It isn't bad right? Well according to what Soonyoung mentioned... He shook his head. The main reason why that part had him riled up was due to—

"Hyung! Are you listening? Are you day dreaming? Are you sleeping with your eyes open?" Mingyu cut through his thoughts. 

Yes. This was the reason. He was the reason. 

Wonwoo shook his head once more before attempting to put his full attention to the boy who had already placed a lock and some pins on the table. "Sorry. Guess I just spaced out for a bit."

The younger nodded in understanding before standing back up and heading towards the store. "I'm gonna buy you an energy drink, it's on me!"

"You really... Don't... Have... Oh what the heck." He was already taking a bottle from the fridge, as seen through the glass wall of the store. 

When Mingyu came back, Wonwoo's eyelids were half closed. He woke the other up by slamming the bottle, albeit carefully since it was glass, on the table. 

"Here, drink this now. I can't have my prankster-in-training fall asleep on me," he said as he sat back down. 

Following his orders, Wonwoo opened the small glass bottle before gulping the whole drink down. As the cool drink went down this throat, he could already feel himself more alert than before. 

Once that was done and the bottle was discarded, Mingyu finally started his picklocking lesson. 

 

To Mingyu's delight, Wonwoo, being the diligent student he was, learned quickly and was able to successfully picklock the lock after a few practices. 

Yup. Definitely made to be my partner. 

While he was explaining about Plan B if ever anything goes wrong, he realised he had forgotten one little fact. The side effects of drinking energy drinks was that when the sudden boost of energy wears down, tiredness would come straight after. He observed the now sleeping Wonwoo whose head was swaying from side to side. A small adoring smile formed on Mingyu's face. 

Mingyu thought he'd seen this kind of scene in a drama once. Before Wonwoo could fall over one side, Mingyu reached out a hand to support his head. Oh my God, I didn't know I would be in a cheesy situation like this. 

Wonwoo finally stopped moving, finding comfort in Mingyu's hand that was cradling his head. Mingyu stared at the older's peaceful expression as he slept, and couldn't help but bring his other hand to brush through the fringe resting on his forehead. . 

Mingyu thought of how fast the two were becoming closer. When they first had the confrontation in the classroom, he wanted nothing more than to have Wonwoo leave him alone while keeping his secret. Now, after getting to know more of him, Mingyu realised that he had never let anyone be this close to him. Maybe Mingyu would consider him a friend, or maybe a good friend. Someone who he's actually comfortable talking to. 

He suddenly felt sorry for Jeonghan and Seokmin. They've been classmates for a year and a half yet he didn't give them a chance to get to know him better. Would he and the duo be as close as Wonwoo and his friends, if he had opened up to them more? He thought that he was happy with being alone most of the time, but ever since he witnessed the strong friendship between Wonwoo and his friends, he realised he kind of wanted that too. 

Maybe when I go to school on Monday, I'll talk to Jeonghan and Seokmin more. Maybe even attempt to talk to Minghao while I'm at it. 

Mingyu had only known Wonwoo for a few days, yet it felt like they'd been friends for a long time. Few days or not, he found that he couldn't stop the thumping in his chest as he stared at the beautiful features of the other. 

What were they now? Acquaintances? Friends? Good friends? Was Mingyu allowed to think of anything beyond that, beyond best friends, or best-est friends? Should he work on his socializing skills with his other classmates first before dwelling on his unknown relationship with the older?

Mingyu let those thoughts swim in his head until the older finally woke up and came to his senses, although he had a weird look in his eye when he found out the younger had held his head while he slept. 

The two bid farewell as they headed back home, with Wonwoo promising Mingyu he won't suddenly collapse on the ground and fall asleep.  

*

Jeonghan and Seokmin gave each other a look, before turning back to Mingyu. 

Mingyu had came into class with an overly friendly smile etched across his face, both hands carrying plastic bags full of snacks. 

"Guys, let's just have these in class during break so we can talk more!" he suggested enthusiastically. Uh-huh. Yup. Way to make it subtle that you're trying to get more closer to them, Mingyu. 

Seokmin spoke up first. "Sure, why not! It's not crowded here as in the canteen during breaks. We can talk more freely too."

Jeonghan shrugged his shoulders, offering the excited boy a smile. "I don't see why not either." 

And so the day went by like that, with Mingyu initiating short conversations with his classmates around him. It was much to their surprise too, as Mingyu was one who would never do that. He was nice and friendly, and would only talk if it was them who talked to him first. Other than that, he would mostly keep silent. In their class, the students would assume that he's the closest to Jeonghan and Seokmin. Being the two lively boys they were, they loved talking and making friends with others. It just happened that they managed to get as close as they currently were to Mingyu. 

When break time finally came and majority of the students left for the canteen, Mingyu pulled up his chair towards Jeonghan and Seokmin's desk which were paired together. Setting the snacks and drinks he'd bought for this occasion on the desk, he ignored the curious looks from the two.

He then folded his hands on the table and looked at them both. "Okay, so you must be wondering why I'm suddenly doing all this..." There were nods in response. "Let's just say I kind of regretted not opening up to you guys sooner. I know we're friends in school, but that's just it. I never meet up with you guys afterwards nor do I join in your gatherings. So I think it's time that I change my ways now." 

Once Mingyu was done talking, he let out a puff of air, as if in relief at finally saying those words. 

"I understand," Jeonghan spoke. "And I'm we're both happy that you finally want to hang out with us more. But... What brought this on?"

Mingyu shrugged. "I don't know. I just saw some other group of friends and thought that being alone most of the time kind of and is just boring," he replied honestly.

The trio fell into silence then, before Seokmin announces happily and dramatically. "Finally, our Mingyu has come to his senses and wants to hang out with us more! Let's celebrate!" He then helped himself to two or more Choco Pies

As they talked and talked while they munched on their snacks, Mingyu felt lighter and happier. Maybe I should've done this sooner. 

*

MG: So I finally talked to my friends.

WW: Haven't you always been?

MG: I mean like

MG: I haven't been hanging out with them a lot, just in school

MG: And today I just finally opened up a bit more

WW: That's good, I guess

MG: Thanks to you 

WW: Me?

MG: Yes you.

MG: You and your friends made me realise that being alone without any friends gets boring

WW: Wow

WW: Did I just influenced you positively

WW: Me? Wonwoo?

MG: Don't get too full of yourself, hyung

MG: It's you AND your friends

WW: Whatever, it still includes me

*

..:::****:::..

Mingyu was telling him something about what to do if his picklocking fails, or if he's almost caught by someone, or something about a Plan B, but he realised the energy drink he drank an hour ago was short lived. Slowly but surely, his eyelids fell shut and he was asleep.

Or more like half-asleep, because he could still hear the sounds of cars driving by, the leaves on the trees rustling in the wind, and the voice of Mingyu that suddenly cut short, probably realising Wonwoo was already in another land. 

His body was asleep but his sub-conscious wasn't. He realised his head was swaying, trying to find something to lean on to while he slept. Then he felt it. A hand suddenly stopped his head from falling to the side any further. This startled Wonwoo, so much so that he became awake. However, he kept his eyes shut, trying to slow down his accelerated heart beat. Mingyu was holding his head. Mingyu is holding my head. 

He froze completely when he felt fingers brushing his forehead, moving his fringe to the side in a soft, comforting manner. If he didn't feel like his heart was going to jump out of his chest before, he sure did think it was going to now. He was sure the other could hear and feel the thumping in his chest, it was too loud even he could hear it. But it wasn't like he had high blood pressure or arrhythmia or whatever heart conditions he learned in Biology. 

It was a few minutes before Wonwoo deemed it fit to "wake up". He opened his eyes slowly, the sight of Mingyu greeting him. He wondered if his arm felt numb from holding it out like that for so long. Or maybe the younger was just that strong.

"Are you awake?" Mingyu asked softly, and oh gosh, his voice. Wonwoo thought he might really have a heart attack with how fast his heart was beating. 

Was this the answer he was looking for? 

Did Wonwoo really develop feelings outside of a normal friendship, for this person, another boy? 

Why was he feeling so afraid?

Questions after questions, but Wonwoo finally couldn't deny...

He might actually really like Kim Mingyu. 

And it's only been less than a week.

 

A/N: Meanie moments everywhereeeeeeee. Have you seen the latest fansite pictures of Seventeen at the basketball competition and those pictures of Wonwoo smiling at Mingyu kyaaaaaaa. I'm so happy to see his smile. >w< Anywaaaaays, this chapter isn't as much as the previous chapters, it's less than 2000 words, but I couldn't think of how else to end this chapter~ I'm pretty sure I'm moving too fast but it's okay I have plaaaaans. Did you like the last bit? You get 2 sides of that part huhuhuhuhu~ Leave your comments on what you think about the chapter and the progression, I love reading all them comments hehe... Don't forget I have a twitter account @meanie1706 <<< just click here and folloooowwww. I'm really not forcing you to follow. Really.