By Your Side

The Invisible Pranksters

The bustling of the students around faded in the background as Wonwoo's sole attention was on his desk.

DEFINITELY GAY

No, he wasn't ready to come out this way. 

He wanted the people around him to slowly get used to the idea that he was dating another guy, not have this fact suddenly shoved in a cruel manner that had most people look down upon it. 

The anxiety that he had managed to bury the previous day crawled back up. The fear had returned with it too. Fear of being disapproved, of being disrepected and looked down on.

With shaky hands, he tried ripping the pictures off the table, but to no avail. Surely, it wasn't... Superglued? His breathing had gotten faster.

He hadn't realised that while this was happening, his friends had tried to provide him comfort, shooing the nosy students and trying to detach the pictures from his desk. 

He also thought he heard Minghao's voice scolding someone loudly. "Yah, show some respect to your seniors and mind your own business, you punk!"

All of a sudden, he was turned around, being dragged away from the scene. He heard a stern but vague Get rid of this desk, NOW being ordered to his friends as he followed the person out. His friends had done a good job in getting rid of the students who had previously crowded the hallways, as it was now almost empty. 

His mind finally registered the hand that was holding onto his as he was going up the emergency exit staircase that he recognised as the one leading to the rooftop. The sudden fear and anxiety that hit him made him rip his hands away from the person, looking towards him.

Mingyu's surprised but hurt face greeted him.

It was then he realised what he had done. "I'm... I'm sorry," he muttered shakily, staring up at Mingyu. "I didn't mean to pull away like that..."

The younger's expression grew softer as he reclaimed Wonwoo's hand and finally pulled him towards the rooftop. Once they had reached the landing, Mingyu didn't let go of the other's hand.

"Are you okay?" Mingyu asked gently.

The older nodded. 

"I told your friends to just get rid of your desk," he continued. "I can't believe someone would do that..." 

Wonwoo stayed silent, looking at his feet. 

"Are you sure you're okay, though?" He pried. "I know you're still uncomfortable to the idea of it all..."

"Mingyu," Wonwoo finally spoke, looking up towards the younger. "It wasn't you, right?"

Mingyu stared at him in response, his eyes flashing with hurt as he dropped Wonwoo's hand. "What do you mean? Are you saying... Are you saying I did all of this?"

Wonwoo shook his head quickly. "No, no! I mean... I heard someone saying that this could be the work of the Invisible Pranksters, and you and me both know that there's... only... one... prankster..." He trailed off as he realised how accusing he must've sounded.

"Wonwoo," Mingyu spoke, his voice hard. "Let me ask you again. Are you saying I could be the culprit for all these vandalisms that have happened? Are you saying, that just because I do pranks, I'm capable of doing all this?" His face had went from the soft expression Wonwoo knew to that of anger and hurt. 

The older was silent. His mind flashed to when he found cans of spray paints in his bicycle basket. 

"What were you doing last night then, wearing all black and carrying cans of spray paint with you?" He dared himself to ask. 

Mingyu let out a surprised scoff, taking a step back. "You really think it's me, huh?" He looked away for a second as if to calm himself down. "Wonwoo, I was there last night because I wanted to pick you up. I was wearing all-black because that's what I just so happened to wear. I had cans of spray paint because I wanted to surprise you and paint your rusty bike!"

Wonwoo was shocked and speechless, not being able to find the right words to try and fix the conversation.

The younger sighed, nodding his head as he pinched the bridge of his nose. "Okay, it's okay. I understand you're just shaken and really sensitive at this moment. So I'm just going to leave now and give you some space. And while you're at it, Wonwoo, think through it all again. Do you really think I want to hurt you? I love you, Wonwoo."

With that, he turned and walked away, leaving Wonwoo alone in the wide, open and quiet space.

Wonwoo's mind was a blank canvas. He didn't know what he should do anymore. He had allowed his fear and low self-esteem to consume him and cause a strain in his relationship with Mingyu. Of course, it wasn't Mingyu. How could it be him? Not with the number of times Mingyu had said I love you with a warm smile on his face, and the fact that he had once told him that he only did harmless pranks to make people laugh.

Furthermore, so what if it was now revealed to everyone in school that he was definitely gay? It was partially different from the fact that he did like girls too, but he could just embrace it and accept that yes, Jeon Wonwoo is in fact dating another boy. 

Wonwoo felt horrible. All he wanted to do at that point in time was to scream and punch someone. Instead, he kneeled down on the concrete ground, landing his clenched fist on it. One punch on the ground led to repeated punches as he attempted to vent his anger through them. Although he was extremely frustrated, he didn't shed a tear. How could he? He didn't deserve to cry. He deserved to be exposed this way for being a coward and afraid of who he was. 

"Wonwoo?" A voice asked from a distance away, which he recognised to be Junhui's. "Yah, Jeon Wonwoo! What are you doing?" He heard as Junhui ran towards him and grabbed his hand. "You're hurting yourself, you idiot!" 

Wonwoo looked at his now bruised and bloodied hands, the pain that finally settled in numbing him from the emotional turmoil he was in. 

"Seungcheol, bring Soonyoung up to the rooftop now. And grab a first aid kit, too... No, I don't care if Mr. Park is discipilining everyone now. Just find a way to escape." 

Wonwoo looked towards Junhui who was on his phone. His friend ended the call and slipped his phone back into his pocket. 

"Mingyu told me you were here. But how could you hurt yourself like this? I figured that the two of you had a fight, although I find it upsetting how Mingyu was the one who looked troubled and angry instead of giving you comfort," Junhui spoke, sitting next to a still-kneeling Wonwoo.

"I'm really an idiot, Jun," Wonwoo whispered. "I'm a coward. I'm a coward for running away from the fact that I am dating a boy. So what if I am? I should've just shrugged it off and accepted it like how Mingyu has already done. Instead, I said some useless things to him and hurt him."

Junhui gave a friendly pat on the shoulders. "I don't know what really happened to the both of you, but whatever it is, it's definitely not your fault, okay?" 

Wonwoo looked at him with desperate eyes. "How can it not be my fault, Jun? I basically just accused Mingyu of doing all this, just because he's the Invisible Prankster!" 

"What?"

Something dropped from a few metres away.

*

Soonyoung stood next to an agitated Seungcheol who was looking around and biting his lips to find a way to escape the eyes of the discipline master. Every student was currently gathered outside the classrooms in an orderly manner while the higher ups discussed on what they should do. 

The classrooms had all been thrashed brutally. From the tempered chairs to the vandalised tables and to the waxed floors of the third level, the school was in shambles.

"Soonyoung," Seungcheol whispered, "go to the nurse's office and get the first aid kit. Meet me at the emergency exit stairs, the one that leads to the rooftop, okay?"

"Wait, why do have to-" 

Seungcheol didn't gave him time to respond as he quickly pushed him out from the line when Mr. Park was on the phone. Without wasting any time, Soonyoung just did as he was told, creeping down the staircase to get to the infirmary. He stood in line with the juniors so that he wouldn't look suspicious, moving carefully till he reached the front of his destination

As all the staffs were currently deployed to handle the chaotic students, he managed to get his hands on the first aid box with ease. He tried his best to hide the box under his uniform jacket, going back to hide in the crowd. 

A hand suddenly grabbed hold of his arm as he was moving back towards the stairs. Looking up, he realised it was Mingyu with a suspicious gaze.  

The taller looked at the first aid box in his hands before asking, "Why do you need that? Did anyone get hurt?" 

Soonyoung glanced at the teachers in front before turning to reply him, "I don't know what happened, but Junhui told Seungcheol to bring the first aid kit to the rooftop." Then he muttered lowly to himself. "Junhui told him, not me. So why did I have to get the first aid kit, hmph-"

"Is Wonwoo hurt?" Mingyu interrupted, his voice lace with worry and panic. 

The other shrugged. "I guess that's what happened." 

Mingyu cursed under his breath, and turned to Jeonghan. "If anything happens, cover for me, okay?" 

His friend nodded, and the taller grabbed Soonyoung's arm and began pulling him towards the staircase. Soonyoung barely had time to wave eagerly at Seokmin, who waved back with the same vigour. 

They met up with Seungcheol at the stairs, where he was pacing back and forth at the landing. He sighed in relief as Soonyoung arrived, then gave Mingyu a curious look. Nevertheless, the trio quickly climbed up the stairs. 

When they finally reached the top floor, Soonyoung opened the door, hearing Wonwoo's voice shouting. 

"...accused Mingyu of doing all this, just because he's the Invisible Prankster!" 

Upon hearing Mingyu and Invisible Prankster in the same sentence, Soonyoung dropped the first aid kit in shock. 

Wait, Mingyu is the Invisible Prankster? Mingyu? Kim Mingyu? The Kim Mingyu who is currently right next to me-

He turned towards the taller with his mouth agape.

*

Mingyu froze upon hearing that Wonwoo had just told Junhui that he was the Invisible Prankster. He heard as the first aid kit Soonyoung was carrying fell to the ground with a thud, gaining the attention of Junhui. Wonwoo was still staring ahead, his shoulders tense. 

Junhui looked just as shocked as Soonyoung, who was still gazing up at him in astonishment. 

"Wait," Seungcheol spoke from behind him. "You're the Invisible Prankster?" He moved to stand in front of Mingyu. "That means you were the one who did all the pranks in this school... Don't tell me you're responsible for this?" In a second, Seungcheol was grabbing onto Mingyu's collar roughly. "You did this, didn't you?" 

Mingyu wanted to deny. Of course, he wasn't responsible for this. He loved, and still love, Wonwoo so much. But seeing as Wonwoo's friends turning to him with a shock and unsure expression made his heart drop. He didn't know he'd feel this hurt.

"Mingyu didn't do anything wrong," Wonwoo's deep voice resounded over the tense atmosphere. Mingyu turned to him in surprise. "He wouldn't do something like this," he continued, remaining his position on the ground, this time sitting cross-legged while cradling his bruised hand. 

Seungcheol's grip on Mingyu's collar loosened, and the latter took the opportunity to free himself and hurry towards Wonwoo. He picked up the forgotten first aid kit on the ground along the way. 

He lowered himself onto the ground next to Wonwoo, setting the box in front of them and opening it. 

"I trust that you'll take care of Wonwoo, okay?" Junhui spoke, standing up. "We should go back so the teachers won't notice we're gone. That doesn't mean you're free, Mingyu. We're going to talk about this during break." His stern tone left no room for negotiation.

Everyone left, filling the space with silence once again. Mingyu sighed. 

"I shouldn't have left you here earlier," he said, taking Wonwoo's bruised hands in his carefully. "It's my fault your pretty hands are now purplish-red."

Wonwoo didn't look up from the ground and simply allowed Mingyu to nurse his hands. He winced every now and then while the cuts were being disinfected. 

"Mingyu-ah, I'm sorry." 

Mingyu froze for a second before continuing to apply first aid on the older's hand. "What for?" He asked softly.

"What for?" Wonwoo parroted in disbelief. "You very well know what I'm talking about. I...I hurt you previously. I outed you as the prankster by accident. I deserve all the misfortunes that are happening." 

The younger took out a roller bandage from the kit and started to put it around the bruised hand starting from the wrist. He remained quiet as he gently rolled the bandage and finished it by placing a pin .  

"Why aren't you saying anything?" Wonwoo asked in frustration.

Mingyu grabbed the other's shoulders and pivoted his torso towards him. "Wonwoo," he called, causing the said person to finally look up into his eyes. "I love you."

Wonwoo looked confused. "Mingyu, you're not saying anything about the situation. I just-"

"I love you, Wonwoo. So much. I love you. I love you. I love you."

The older's face reddened. "Okay, okay. You can stop now..." he muttered, trying to look away. 

"Wonwoo, I just want you to know that I love you. I would never do anything to hurt you, you understand me? I know you're feeling confused, frustrated, torn, and whatever negative emotion you must be feeling right now, so I know you didn't mean what you said about me previously. And as for you revealing that I'm the Invisible Prankster... Well, we can't avoid it now, can we? I trust your friends, and am thankful that it was them who found out. Don't stress yourself too much, you already have a lot on your plate at this moment."

Wonwoo's eyes glassed over at the younger's words. "Are you sure you're seventeen? You sound like you're seventy instead." He let out a laugh, which sounded like a choked sob instead. A stray tear escaped and rolled down his cheek, making him look up and blink rapidly. "Ah, . Why am I even crying?"

Mingyu enveloped Wonwoo's hands in his, bringing it to his lips to give them a kiss. He extended a hand to wipe of the lone tear that fell with his thumb. As Wonwoo gazed into the younger's eyes again, he couldn't stop the dam from breaking as he finally broke down and let the tears fall. The younger brought him into his arms, holding his head tightly against his chest.

"Aigoo, is Wonwoo finally crying? This is the first time ever saw you cry," Mingyu teased, his boyfriend's hair. "You're really strong, Wonwoo. Whatever it is, whatever fear or anxiety you feel because of who you are, never let it get in the way of what your heart tells you. And know that I will always be by your side, supporting you. I won't leave you alone again."

He laughed softly at Wonwoo's loud sobbing. "I-I'm sorry, M-Mingyu. I w-won't doubt y-you again." 

"Okay, Wonwoo," he continued soothing Wonwoo. 

Wonwoo may be the older one and could be mature at some periods of time, but he also had a soft spot. 

"I love you, Mingyu," Wonwoo spoke, his voice muffled by Mingyu's clothes. 

"Really?" Mingyu asked back, smiling as he rocked the both of them back and forth slowly. "How much do you love me?"

Wonwoo scoffed. "Are you going to be like this?" Then he sighed. "I love you so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so..."

Mingyu laughed loudly, causing the other to hit his chest as he pulled away. "Okay, I won't laugh. Please do continue," he spoke in between fits of giggles.

"I changed my mind. I hate you, you idiot." 

Despite that, Wonwoo allowed Mingyu to engulf him in another hug.

 

A/N: Here lies a short-lived angst. 

I couldn't bring myself to bring them apart even for just one chapter. I just want them to have that type of relationship where they just end up talking their problems out rather than cause misunderstandings and giving the other "space" when it's so obvious the other needs someone to comfort them. Also I really just love Meanie so much.

And yes that spray paint can thing is just to create this misunderstanding lmao who would've thought he just wanted to paint Wonwoo's bike? Notice that Wonwoo doesn't really use his bike to get to school, so imagine it just sitting there outside his home, rusting away. 

It's like 1/10 is angsty and the other 9/10 are just fluff lmao.

And did you get any of the references here?

Minghao's You punk!
Wonwoo saying he hates Mingyu and calling him an idiot

If you didn't get it, well... you need to catch up HAHAHA 
(watch yangnam show where minghao tells soonyoung what wrongdoing he did and thughao was awaken. that was too hilarious istg. and wonwoo saying he hates mingyu and calling him an idiot... well..... just see all the fansigns where fans ask wonwoo what he thought of mingyu and all those questions xD oh and the mnet seventeen birthday party where he called mingyu an idiot/fool (
바보 pabosigh i love tsundere wonwoo yet he still called mingyu cute during an interview too bad there isn't a video...i think. what i'd do to hear wonwoo say mingyu is cute) 

And yes I know I've updated 3 times in a short span of time, that's a surprise even from me. Consider this a new year's gift. Ooooh, and please do read Seungcheol's short chapter before this chapter if you haven't *smirks* and please do tell me what you think of it :D And thank you to all of you who had your detective hats on (do detectives even where hats) while trying to find out who did it. Mingyu is out of the question... but then, who? So many questions, so little time. hehehehehe *evil laughs*

Happy 20SVT! 

BONUS PREVIEW ON WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT CHAPTER BECAUSE I'M FEELING NICE TODAY: Wonwoo's friends confronting Mingyu about his identity as the prankster. Mingyu and Wonwoo trying to find out who was responsible for everything, Seungkwan finding out his brother is dating another boy, and the dinner, where Seungkwan also brings along a new friend. Oh, and more meanie fluff in between because why the heck not.