A Step Forward

The Invisible Pranksters

Wonwoo fidgeted with the floral pink blanket that was draped over him. He stared at the ceiling, his whole body rigid and unmoving. 

Mingyu was in the same situation as him, as he kept his hands to his sides, staring at the ceiling. 

Flashes of lighting lit up the dark room occasionally as the thunder continued to roar loudly outside. Mingyu loved the rain, but he hated the lightning that came with it. It was like ordering his favourite chicken burger that unfortunately included tomatoes inside, and God knows he loathes those red, slimy round slices. 

He felt immensely grateful that Wonwoo had chosen to stay. He wasn't sure if the older had done so because of the rain, or because he felt pity for him that he had to be alone in this cold, scary night. 

Mingyu knew there were still unspoken words lingering in their throats, waiting to be spoken. He also knew that one of them needed to be the one to break the silence between them, for it seemed like none of them were going to do so. Taking in a deep breath, he opened his mouth to ask a question when Wonwoo beat him to it.

"I'm sorry, I kinda like you and you were so close to me that I couldn't help but kiss you." Then he laughed breathlessly like he couldn't believe he actually just said that. 

Mingyu's head turned to his right, facing Wonwoo. "I don't..."

"I was talking about the staircase," Wonwoo elaborated, his eyes never leaving the ceiling.

"Oh," was Mingyu's lame reply, turning to look back up at the ceiling. When he finally fully registered that the older had basically confessed to him, he whipped his head once more towards him. "Oh."

"Yes, oh," Wonwoo repeated, then sighed. "I don't know how it happened. It just... did." This time, he looked at Mingyu, making eye contact. "Maybe it was the fact that in such a short time, you've helped me experience so many things and feelings. You showed me how thrilling it is to take risks and enjoy life, by pulling harmless yet playful pranks. I'm not going to say that you've done so much more than what my friends have, because I still love them." 

The other chuckled.

"I'm saying... You're a great, wonderful, God-sent addition to my life that I'm lucky to have. I had found another friend in you, one who I could talk to about anything. Although you may not talk about your personal life, I do in fact enjoy hearing your rants about how your Maths teacher gave you extra homework. You were an in the beginning, when I caught you- Don't deny it." He laughed. "But then the more I talked to you and hung out with you, I came to like your presence."

Mingyu had been silent the whole time. He continued looking at Wonwoo and the features on his face, his gaze lingering on the older's lips a second too long before meeting his eyes. There was an expression on his face Mingyu couldn't ignore, even with the darkness mostly engulfing them. Fear and worry. "And...?" Mingyu asked. "But there's something that's bothering you."

Wonwoo turned to face the ceiling once more. "Mingyu," he sighed. "This isn't supposed to be normal. This whole thing isn't- I'm not supposed to like you. I'm not supposed to like a guy. I... I was watching a drama with the others the other day. The character's brother had came out to their parents, and even brought his boyfriend with him. But, Mingyu, his parents had this hateful and disapproving look on their faces, and it made me feel slightly sick. When... When I kissed you at the staircase, I was thankful you hadn't reacted similarly. Soonyoung, my friend, told me that it isn't wrong to feel this way. His cousin told him once that although he's a deeply pious person, he respects others' choices. He said that at the end of the day, we're still who we were before. Sure, I might like guys too but I'm still me. My personality is the same. Those words kept me intact." 

"Hyung..." Mingyu started. "If the drama had potrayed such a scene, this means more people are starting to be open-minded. They're showing the ugly sides of people who are just unaccepting. You don't have to keep worrying yourself. I didn't know you've been feeling this way for some time..."

"But Mingyu..." Wonwoo locked eyes with said person. "Why did you kiss me?"

Heat rose to Mingyu's face, his eyes fleeting everywhere, not meeting Wonwoo's curious stare. "I think I've known about myself for quite some time, but I've never really..." he trailed off.

"That still doesn't answer my question, though," the older pressed.

"I... I'm not sure," he finally replied, which he regretted the moment hurt flashed across Wonwoo's eyes. "I mean... I don't know if I do like you too. But I do take notice of you, if that makes sense. For example... Listening to your deep voice is actually really soothing. And I love the way your eyes shine when you talk about a particular thing you like."

Wonwoo's eyes widened. He felt a spark of hope right then. "So..."

"Wonwoo hyung," Mingyu suddenly sat up, pulling the other with him. "I know you're older and you're my hyung, and I don't want to blow your pride. However, I'd like to be the one asking... Would you want to give us a try? I may have not sorted out my feelings yet, but... Just give me time. Knowing that you like me made my heart beat a little faster, and if that isn't an indication that it could mean something more, than I don't know what is."

The room lit up once more as another lightning flashed outside, and Mingyu could see the shock expression on Wonwoo's face as the tips of his ears reddened. The sight was absolutely adorable.

"Wha- What? I..." The older shook his head, clearing up his thoughts. "I mean yes, okay, sure." His eyes were still widened.

Mingyu smiled widely that it looked like it'd break his face. He leaned in closer, pondering, before deciding to pull Wonwoo into a tight hug. "Also, thank you for staying." 

*

Riiiiiiiiiiiiinggg, goes the alarm from Mingyu's phone. 

Startled, as always, Mingyu woke up with a start, his hands flinging and accidentally whacking the still sleeping Wonwoo on the face. This in turn woke the other up, as he kicked his legs in the air and sat up. 

"Wh– What just happened?" Wonwoo asked in alarm, looking around the room. 

It was then that Wonwoo remembered that he had stayed over Mingyu's house. The thought of what had transpired after that, sent a warm flutter in his chest as he looked at the younger. 

Mingyu turned the alarm on his phone off, willing himself to get up and get ready for school. However, the moment he sat up, he realised that Wonwoo had been staring at him with a smile. 

"What are you staring at, hyung?" he asked bashfully, bringing his comforter up to cover half his face.

"Just admiring how cute you look in the morning," Wonwoo replied, as he ruffled Mingyu's bed hair.

Mingyu playfully swatted the other's hand, opting to hold it. The two simply gaze at each other, smiling, until they were interrupted by a voice.

"Kim Mingyu, get your out of bed with your boyfriend and get ready for school!" 

Wonwoo turned to look at Mingyu questioningly, before it dawned on him that that must be his sister. The younger was simply red in the face, hearing the word "boyfriend" being mentioned.

"That must be my sister. Sorry about that, she can be a little aggressive," Mingyu explained, giving an embarrassed laugh.

Wonwoo offered a comforting smile. "It's okay. She called me your boyfriend too," he replied, voice lacing with happiness. 

Mingyu laughed, standing up and pulling the older up with him. "Let's go outside, she must have prepared breakfast."

As the two left the room, hand-in-hand, the smell of eggs and toast wafted in the air. 

"Noona, when did you get back?" Mingyu asked, leading Wonwoo to sit at one of the chairs as he took the other. 

Minah was still bent over, looking into the fridge, finally reemerging with a carton of orange juice. Wonwoo noted that she was indeed beautiful, and that good-looking genes must be passed on throughout Mingyu's family. 

Setting the carton on the table together with the plates of eggs and toasts, she glanced at Wonwoo once before replying, "Sometime this morning. I got the day off today for helping out last night, so I'll be sleeping in to make up my loss of sleep." Taking another chair and sitting across the two boys, she changed the course of direction in the conversation. "Care to introduce your boyfriend? I came home to find my little brother snuggling into some other boy, and you can't even introduce me to him?"

Mingyu blushed, turning to Wonwoo and realising the older was sitting straight up awkwardly with his hands on his lap. "This is Wonwoo. Wonwoo, this is my older sister Kim Minah." 

"Nice meeting you, um, Noona?" It sounded more like a question.

Minah gave an amused look. "You can just call me Noona, I'm seven years older than Mingyu. But what is this? You didn't even deny when I called you Mingyu's boyfriend?"

Wonwoo's eyes widened as he stuttered for an answer. He didn't know what to do in this situation. Luckily for him, Mingyu answered. 

"Um... That's because," he looked at Wonwoo, "he is?" 

Minah stared at the two in front of her, taking in the situation. Wonwoo's heart was beating a mile a second as he tried to decipher the meaning behind Minah's look. Is she going to give me the look of disgust? Is she going to disapprove of us? Will she kick me out?

"Oh, wow," she finally replied. "I knew you were kinda gay, but I didn't expect this."

Wonwoo looked on nervously.

Then a laugh bubble its way to Minah's mouth as she took in Wonwoo's expression. "Chill, Wonwoo. You look like you're going to pass out any minute."

Mingyu tried to grab her attention, seeming serious. "So... Are you... Okay? With us?"

Minah smiled warmly, grabbing her brother's hands and motioning for Wonwoo to put out his too. "Mingyu, you're my brother, and you'll always be my brother. You've been through so much, you deserve happiness for once. If Wonwoo does that for you, then who am I to disapprove?" 

The tight feeling in Wonwoo's chest faded, as he stared at Mingyu's sister in awe. Nothing that happened in the drama had happened at that moment. He was so caught up in the fact that the drama had portrayed disapproving people that he was so afraid Minah would be similar. However, she wasn't. She was approving. She was okay with it. She was understanding and comforting. Am I really going to be okay?  

"And you, Wonwoo," she turned to the other. "You better not hurt my little brother, okay?" 

He nodded fervently. 

"Now, before the both of you are late for school, you should eat up and get ready."

*

It was after Wonwoo had taken a shower and got dressed in last night's clothes that he realised he didn't have an extra school uniform with him. 

"Um, Mingyu. I don't have–"

"Your school uniform? I figured that while you showering and found one of my old ones. I'm pretty sure they're not big on you. I wore that before I grew to be this tall," Mingyu spoke, taking out a neatly-folded set of the uniform from his wardrobe.

Wonwoo stared at it for a few seconds, before meeting his eyes with Mingyu's. 

"Are you sure it's okay? I mean..."

"Hyung," Mingyu interjected. "I was the one who offered. It's fine."

"Okay then..."He carefully accepted the uniform. "Where should I..."

Mingyu laughed. "Hyung, you're so cute."

Before Wonwoo could react, Mingyu had pulled him in a bear hug, burying his face into the older's hair. He swayed the both of them around, before releasing the red-faced Wonwoo.

"You can change here, hyung. I'll be in the bathroom." He then proceeded to grab his own set of uniform and towel before exiting the room.

"What... This Mingyu. Doesn't he know I'm older and should be respected?" Despite that, a goofy smile overtook his features. 

Although the colour of the uniform blazer was slightly faded, it managed to fit Wonwoo perfectly. He must have been his size before he hit his growth spurt. How did he even manage to grow so tall? It's unfair. 

He left the room, walking over to his bag. Luckily, he had thought of bringing his bag with him to school last night for the prank. Zipping it open, he found the box of aluminium foil still inside. He took it out, putting it on the table. He was pretty sure he wouldn't be needing it for school. 

As he reached his hand into his bag, his heart dropped. He pulled out one of his textbooks he had decided to leave inside, and it was damp. 

He rubbed a hand down his face, sighing. "Well, ." 

Suddenly, he felt the presence of Mingyu behind him, "What are you– oh. Do you need a hair dryer for that?"

"Yes please," Wonwoo replied, dejected. 

On one hand, at least he had his school things with him so he wouldn't be going to school empty-handed, but on the other, it was soaked from the rain last night. So much for kissing under the rain, you idiot. 

Wonwoo watched as Mingyu tip-toed into his sister's room, as she was already sleeping. He returned with a pink hair-dryer in hand. Taking the older's bag, he brought it back into his room.

"It won't take long to at least get rid most of the dampness from your books. You can use one of my spare bags while you let yours dry," Mingyu offered, which Wonwoo gratefully accepted this time.

The younger helped Wonwoo dry his books until it seemed like they wouldn't tear easily, then placed them into one of his older bags. Wonwoo realised he was now all covered in Mingyu– Mingyu's uniform and now Mingyu's bag. He owed him so much.

"Thanks, Gyu," Wonwoo thanked sincerely. Mingyu grinned widely. "What?"

"You called me 'Gyu'. I like that," he replied cheerfully.

"I didn't realised I said that." Wonwoo smiled. "That shall be your new nickname then."

Mingyu's smile couldn't get any wider, as he left the house with Wonwoo, bringing their bicycles with them.

 

 

A/N: I'm back after so long of not updating. Damn, I really didn't think I would be this busy and tired the moment my semester started. I already have 2 major projects and a report that thank goodness is done. Please understand. :( 

Hope you like the chapter, although I felt that there wasn't much that happened. But hey, NOW MEANIE IS TOGETHER THOUGH YAYYYYYYY.

Speaking of which, OMG I'M PRETTY SURE YOU'VE ALL WATCHED THE CHECK-IN MV BY HIP-HOP UNIT IT'S SO LIT AND THEY MENTIONED MY COUNTRY TOO I LOST MY CHILL ISTG. I can't chill omg. But that one scene when Mingyu and Wonwoo were on the bed together though....asdfghjkhgfdnjbnjdlnfjdnv. And there's that video of Mingyu playing with a dog while Wonwoo watched him from a distance. I just about died. Cue the start of more fanfics. 

And you may have realise there's a book cover now yayyy. I made it myself lmao. 

Before I end this author's note, don't forget to vote for Seventeen for Best Dance Performance Male Group and HotelsCombined Song of the Year for MAMA 2016. Even if you're multifandom like me, create like 10 accounts or something. I have like 6. xD