Brotherly Time

The Invisible Pranksters

That day when Wonwoo returned home, he found that Hansol had come over to play video games with Seungkwan. He observed from behind them as they bickered about while playing on the ground in front of the television. That must not be good for their vision.

Soon, Seungkwan noticed his brother and greeted him cheerfully. "Hyung! You're home early. I thought you were going to hang out with Mingyu hyung some more."

Wonwoo shrugged. "He's finally going back to his part-time job and I have an assignment I need to complete." He eyed Hansol who stared back. "I'll leave you two to play then."

He left the living room and went into his room. Just as he was about to settle down at his desk, there was a knock on the door. 

When Wonwoo opened it, he was surprised to see Hansol standing there. "Hansol? Did you need anything?"

Hansol fidgeted with his fingers for a while. "I wanted to talk to you about something..."

Wonwoo gestured for him to enter his room and took a sit by his desk. Seeing no other seats, Hansol opted to settle at the edge of the bed.

"I'm sure Mingyu hyung has told you about... everything," Hansol started, staring at the carpet before looking at Wonwoo. "And... I just wanted to apologise. Mingyu hyung had talked to me yesterday and said some things that got to me. I never had an easy life. Sure, my parents are loaded from their jobs, but because we're always moving, it has always kinda of affected me, I guess. I've never had anyone genuinely given me advice, because for all my life, I've always been alone, never with friends or relatives. That's why I'm thankful for Mingyu hyung, because ever since then, I've given a lot of thought about it."

Wonwoo smiled slightly, proud that his boyfriend was able to do that. 

"What I did to the school, to everyone, to you... Nothing can justify my actions. When I saw you and Mingyu hyung at the rooftop, the first thing that I thought of was to take the opportunity. I... What I wrote at everyone's tables... They were really mean. If I have to be honest, I've been so used to creating havoc in my previous schools so I would be expelled that the things I've done started to be a norm for me. It was more towards just pissing everyone off rather than the sole reason of getting expelled. It was like a vent, you know? I just vent out all the hatred I have for this life into the things I do to everyone."

The last part caught Wonwoo's attention. It reminded him of Mingyu. Mingyu had always been sad on the inside, and so he did all the pranks so that he could have a laugh out of it, while making others laugh as well. Furthermore, he wanted to take his father's advice into consideration to not always be a boring and miserable boy. He realised that Hansol had taken a different approach towards venting his inner feelings. Instead of turning them into something to make himself feel better, he had made things worse by causing more people to dislike him that in turn made him a much more miserable person.

"Hansol, I know Mingyu has told you some things, but let me just add on to what he has said," Wonwoo spoke. "I understand how hurt you must feel on the inside to have to go through whatever you're going through. But rather than expressing your feelings in a bad way, why can't you turn them into something good? Like Mingyu told you, you can still keep your friendships in school if you just try hard enough. The way you're creating a mess at each school and making people not like you, you're just making yourself more hurt. So my advice is to express your feelings in a good way that makes yourself feel better, and if you make friends but have to move, then you try your best to stay in touch with them."

Hansol sighed and attempted a smile. "Thanks Hyung... I really appreciate your advice. I've actually decided to value my friendship with Seungkwan. There's no denying that he's been an awesome friend that I never knew I needed in my life. Again, I'm really sorry for what I've done towards you. I don't think I'm able to ask for your forgiveness, as I know I'm not worthy of it. I just wanted to let you know that I'm honestly regretful and ashamed of myself."

The boy stood up to leave, when Wonwoo spoke. "Hansol-ah." The said boy turned back around. "I forgive you. Just be a good friend to my brother, okay? I've never been a proper brother to him. So please take care of him. And from my experience, I know by the way you look at him that he means so much to you more than a friend." The older smiled. 

Hansol froze, and for a second, Wonwoo could see his eyes gloss over before he blinked rapidly and nodded, turning to leave quickly.

Wonwoo continued smiling, taking out his phone.

WW: Yeah, I don't think we have to worry about Hansol anymore.

He got a phone call a few seconds later.

"Hey!" Mingyu's cheerful voice greeted him. "So, did you talk to Hansol?"

Wonwoo couldn't help that his heart always skipped a beat whenever he talked to Mingyu. "Hey, you. And actually, he talked to me and apologised for everything."

"That's great then!" 

"Yup, it is... Say, shouldn't you be working now?" Wonwoo chastised playfully.

"I'm on a short break, if you must know. And I don't think I want to continue working. I still have the money my parents left for my sister and I. I want to take my studies seriously now."

"I'm always here to help you, you know that, right? If you need any tutoring, I'll be glad to help you. All I ask for as payment is for you to stay by me side forever."

Mingyu laughed from the other line. "Wonwoo, you're so cheesy. I could live with that kind of payment. Besides, I'm not planning to leave your side, ever."

Wonwoo felt his heart swell. "Love you, Gyu."

"Love you too, Wonwoo."

*

"Hansol left already?" Wonwoo asked Seungkwan as he entered the kitchen to fetch a drink.

Seungkwan nodded. "Yup."

As Wonwoo opened he refrigerator door and grabbed a carton of orange juice, he asked, "So, anything interesting happen lately?" 

His brother shrugged, scribbling down on his homework. "Other than what happened last week, nothing much."

Wonwoo took a seat across Seungkwan on the dining table with a glass of orange juice. He thought of what he should talk to Seungkwan about. His conversation with Hansol previously had also caused him to think about how he treated Seungkwan as a brother. Sure, he may not be blood related, but he had spent all his life with the guy and there's no doubt that he's family. It was just the way Wonwoo started drifitng away from him when he entered high school. They talked less frequently nowadays due to the both of them being busy with their own school work.

Before he could say anything else, Seungkwan spoke first. "Hyung... Can I ask you something?" 

Wonwoo nodded, curious as to what his brother was going to ask. 

"Hansol said some unusual things to me before he left. Like 'You know you're my best friend, right?' and 'Don't blame your brother too much for not coming out to you first before you found out from the school.' I don't know why, but those aren't just the type of things Hansol would say. He's usually very laid back and all. What I mean to ask is... what did Hansol talked to you about just now?" 

The older sighed, staring at his glass of orange juice and catching the water droplets from the condensation. "He just needed advice in some things and I guess he thought that since I'm older, I'd be the best person to ask," Wonwoo replied. Technically, he wasn't really lying as he did give advice to the younger. "I think he's just afraid that if he has to move with his family, he would have to leave you too."

Seungkwan nodded. "He did tell me about his family moving around a lot, but I didn't know he was afraid. I think I'll go talk to him tomorrow. But what about the second thing, though? Why did he suddenly tell me not to blame you for not coming out to you first?"

"Seungkwan, Hansol cares about you a lot, you know?" Wonwoo suddenly said, causing Seungkwan's face to flush red. "He got mad at me that you, my own brother, had to find out that about my relationship through what happened in school, rather than me telling you. It got me thinking, though, how I'm really lacking as a brother to you. You know I love you right?"

Seungkwan scrunched his nose, "Don't start that sappy crap with me. For the record, I've never really blamed you for anything. I understand how you must feel about exposing your true self, with all these views the public has and all."

Wonwoo smiled. "Thanks, little bro. Whenever you need anything, be it help in your school work, or relationship advices, just come to me, okay? It may be awkward to talk to Mom and Dad about this, so I'm probably your best choice." He chuckled. 

Seungkwan pondered for a while, before asking, "Then can I ask you one more question? And promise me you won't tell Mom and Dad about this."

Wonwoo nodded, taking a sip from his drink. 

"I'm adopted, aren't I?"

The orange juice in Wonwoo's mouth came sputtering out, and that reaction itself was enough for Seungkwan to confirm it. "How...?"

Seungkwan shrugged. "Some of my friends have been saying that we don't look alike whenever I tell them that you're my brother. At first I kind of dismissed it, but then more and more people told me that." For a moment, Seungkwan looked dejected, before he continued. "I actually talked to Hansol about it and he told me to find out more first before jumping to conclusions. So when everyone was out one day I sneaked into Mom and Dad's room. I remember Mom saying she keeps all the important things in one tin box, so I searched for it. And I did found it."

He took a deep breath. "When I went through all the items, there were ultrasound pictures of you, Hyung. They were labelled like, Wonwoo at 5 months, and all those things. There was also a picture of Mom holding you as a baby in the hospital. I knew I won't find any, but for some reason I told myself that maybe there's hope that I really am Mom's real son. But try as I might, the only things I could find from the tin box were my adoption papers, and a picture of Mom and Dad holding me as a baby, but not in the hospital. They were standing in front of a sign board that says Happy Orphanage." 

When Seungkwan looked up into Wonwoo's eyes, Wonwoo felt his own heart breaking. Seungkwan had known this whole time, yet he hadn't once confronted their parents, not once spewed hate at them. 

"As much as I feel upset that I'm not really your biological family member, I thought about it a lot," Seungkwan continued. "I thought that it wouldn't be fair if I just confronted all of you for keeping this from me or I try to find out about my real parents, because for all I've known I've been treated like real family right here. Mom adores me, Dad always buys us both the same things so we won't be conflicted, and you've been the best brother I could ask for."

In a second, Wonwoo was up, going around the table to pull Seungkwan into a hug. "Thank you, Seungkwan. If Mom and Dad knows about this, they'd be crying tears of happiness. We all love you so much from the moment we welcomed you into our family." 

Seungkwan hugged back. "Thank you for treating me like real family, Hyung. Don't tell Mom and Dad about this yet, okay? I want them to tell me themselves when they're mentally ready for it." He pulled away and smiled. 

Wonwoo nodded. "Okay. Anything for you, little bro."

 

 

An author's note that is waaaay to long but there's important info so do read it if you care:

Just to clear up some things that some of you have mentioned~^^ Again, I'm not exactly satisfied with this chapter, cuz tbh I'm lost, my mind's blank and I suddenly don't know how to phrase sentences or how to continue the plot, but i don't want to give up on this story cuz I've come too far to stop now...

So this chapter is mainly Wonwoo, Hansol and Seungkwan.

Some of you wanted Verkwan and I was contemplating if I should write about it, but settled for a subtle Verkwan instead. xD

I wrote about Seungkwan and Wonwoo to show more on their brotherly relationship since I've never really written about that. And the part where Seungkwan actually knew he was adopted was to show that he's actually a really strong and loyal kid. There's many stories out there irl where when the adopted child finds out that they're adopted, they don't hesitate to leave behind the family that has given them nothing but love all this time. It's truly heartbreaking, especially for the mother. But then there are people like how I tried to portray Seungkwan as, and I just love to give my stories positive vibes in it, I guess. This has gotten really deep lmao. 

Anyways, I hope at least some of you have not lost interest in this fic, and thank you so much to those who have been supporting this from the start! I always remember familiar usernames under the comments section. I'm thinking of doing a shout out in my last chapter to those I know of. (: If you've been commenting on my stories and chapters then I guess you know that I'm talking about you. Thank you all so much, and thank you to those who just joined in on this Meanie ride! :* 

Now all that's left is to clear things up in school, like what will happen to Mingyu? Will everyone eventually find out that he's the Invisible Prankster, or will it gradually become a forgotten issue? And I'll do a short closure for Hansol as well, if he does end up leaving and all those. And then that'll be a wrap for this fic! :'))))

If you're thinking if there'll be a conflict between Mingyu and Wonwoo, for now I can say that most likely not. I love Meanie fluff lmao and this fic was solely for that. I tried my hand at a slight angst but even that didn't last. (Now I'm wondering how I'm going to continue my studentxteacher au..). And just know that I love happy endings. I've said this somewhere before, that when I read, I want to escape reality and not think about the harshness and the real sad endings of the world. If I ever write an angsty fic that is towards a sad ending, then don't lose hope because I can easily turn the situation around for it to become a happy ending~

This feels like a goodbye note lmao.

Oh, and I'm actually trying to update every now and then cuz I'm starting my internship soon which lasts till September, and it'll be a real since I'll be working all day at somewhere really far from my home so travelling back and forth is going to be really tiring too. 

Bye and I love you all!