The Aftermath

The Invisible Pranksters

Morning came as fast as how the night ended. Apparently, Mingyu hadn't realised just how much time he'd spent in school, that by the time he got into bed and texted Wonwoo a short thank you message, it was already 2:00am. 

It will all be worth it later on. 

Mingyu sat up on his mattress still half asleep and eyes closed. He attempted to rub the sleepiness off his eyes and looked at the time. 7:00am. Well, 5 hours of sleep is better than no sleep, right? 

Grabbing his towel, he headed for the bathroom, passing by his sister who was in the middle of flipping a pancake. 

"Why do you look half dead?" Minah asked with a hint of amusement. 

"Couldn't sleep last night," he lied smoothly, and avoided any further questions as he entered the bathroom and closed the door. 

By the time Mingyu had finished getting ready, he was feeling much more refreshed. Except for the dark circles under his eyes that would just not go away, he did not look like— as his sister called him— "half dead". 

After eating the pancakes that was kindly served by his sister, he left for school with his bicycle. 

*

As he cycled towards the school gates, Mingyu spotted a familiar figure already walking through it. Hopping off his bike, he speed walked through the gates, pulling his bike with him. 

"Hyung! Wonwoo hyung!" He called out, a bit too excitedly if you asked him. 

Immediately, the older turned around, trying to find the source until his eyes landed on Mingyu. A rather big smile formed on his face before it left, as he looked around him suspiciously. Slowly, he walked towards the younger, standing next to him rather than in front. 

"Hey," Wonwoo whispered with a hand next to his mouth. 

Mingyu stared at him, not sure whether he should feel confused or amused by his actions. Deciding to just humour him, he copied his actions and whispered back. 

"Good morning, Hyung.. Why are you whispering?"

This time, Wonwoo turned to look at Mingyu. "Am I allowed to talk to you in school?" He asked seriously. 

Mingyu cocked his head to the side, puzzled. "Of course, why not?"

The older looked away, suddenly flustered as heat rose to his face. "I just thought... You know, that thing that happened last night... I thought no one's supposed to know or something..."

Mingyu let out a hearty chuckle. "Hyung, if you say it like that, people who overheard you are going to think differently."

It took a moment for Wonwoo to realise what the younger had meant, and he became even more flustered, the tips of his ears now a bright red. This just made Mingyu laugh harder. 

"Yah, stop laughing," Wonwoo chastised him jokingly, a small smile on his face at seeing the laughing boy. "I'm your hyung, I should be respected."

Mingyu's laughter died down and he smiled at him. After what had happened last night, Mingyu decided that maybe it was okay if he could have Wonwoo as a partner. His previous disagreement dissipated into thin air and was now replaced with admiration and friendliness. 

"Oh yeah, I really can't thank you enough for distracting the guard last night," Mingyu spoke, as the both of them continued walking towards the school. "I swear to God I thought I was gonna faint when I heard voices nearing the room I was still in."

"It was nothing really," Wonwoo responded proudly. "You're lucky I saw that the door was still opened."

"Speaking of which, what happened after you ran back up the stairs? I hope it didn't cause the guard to be suspicious of you."

Wonwoo smiled amusedly as he recalled. "Ahhh, it was actually really funny. I ran back towards the library and when the guard managed to catch up with me, I just apologized once more and he gave me this weird look before asking if I can see and hear supernatural things. I didn't give him a proper answer and I guess he's a bit afraid now at the idea of there being things lurking in school at night. I didn't think it'll be this fun and thrilling and— I'm talking too much aren't I?" 

Mingyu simply looked at him. Actually, he really didn't mind hearing him talk. His voice was deep yet soothing and attractive and it just seemed to pull his attention towards him. 

"No... No you weren't. And that's really funny. Now every noise made would probably scare him. But you know what's funnier? What is about to happen in the principal's office." Mingyu made sure to say the last part really softly so that no one would overhear. 

"I'm really curious what you did though," Wonwoo said as he looked over questioningly. 

"You'll find out soon enough," he replied mysteriously as he feigned an evil laugh. 

And so they continued talking like that as they walked towards the school building, parked Mingyu's bike and continued walking till they had to part ways. 

"So... See you when I see you," Wonwoo spoke as he continued up the stairs while Mingyu walked to his classroom. 

*

When Wonwoo reached his classroom, he spotted his group of friends already there talking. 

"Hey Jun, hey Soonyoung, hey— where's Seungcheol?"

Junhui and Soonyoung greeted him happily as well, and Junhui answered his question. "Seungcheol went to help his uncle carry some stuffs to his office. He'll be here soon, don't miss him too much." 

Seungcheol followed his uncle a.k.a the principal to his office? It then dawned on him that if that was so, then Seungcheol was going to see an (apparently) epic prank first hand. It's going to be like getting first row tickets to a concert. 

"Why do you have this surprised but secretive yet amused look on your face right now?" Soonyoung mentioned, narrowing his eyes at his friend.

Wonwoo broke from his train of thoughts. No, he can't seem suspicious whatsoever if he wanted to join Mingyu in this whole thing he had going on. He just barely got his trust from distracting the guard last night, he wasn't going to throw this opportunity away. 

"Why are you overanalysing people's faces again?" Wonwoo retaliated, and Junhui laughed. 

"Yeah, you're not some face reader or whatever the crap these kind of people are called," Junhui added. 

"Yah, I'm good at reading people's expressions okay?" Soonyoung pouted and the other two just simply laughed. 

At that moment, Wonwoo's phone vibrated and he took it out, seeing that his other two friends were doing the same. There was a message from Seungcheol in the group chat. 

SC: GUYS 

SC: GUYS YOU WON'T BELIEVE THIS

SC: OMG 

WW: Get to the point Cheol 

SC: Ok ok 

SC: So 

SC: My uncle's office is trashed 

SC: AND IT LOOKS EPIC

SC: THE WHOLE TABLE IS WRAPPED IN CLING WRAP OMG 

J: Wait are you serious? 

SY: I wanna see omg 

SY: send a pic 

As requested, Seungcheol had sent a picture in the group chat, and Wonwoo couldn't help gawking at it. Mingyu did this. He did this and I helped. 

Junhui and Soonyoung were too busy laughing their heads off to realise that their friend was deep in thought. 

"Guys," he suddenly spoke, gaining his friends' attentions. "Do you wanna go see his reaction closer?"

The two boys stared at their friend, mouth opened. They hadn't expected Wonwoo to suggest this, but they actually really did want to see what the situation was like. 

"Heck yes!" Soonyoung spoke eagerly. 

Wonwoo checked the time on his phone. Classes began at 8:00am sharp, so they had 10 minutes left. Since the staff room and principal's office were located on the same floor as the seniors, it wouldn't be too much of a hassle to get there. 

As the trio left the class, news that The Invisible Pranksters had pranked the one and only Principal Choi already spread like wildfire. Students were filing out of their classrooms despite the fact that classes were about to start. Everyone wanted to know as well. 

By the time they almost reached the staff room that was next to the principal's office, the hallway was already packed like sardines. The discipline master, Mr. Park, had taken up in himself to shoo the curious students back into their classrooms, eliciting groans of displeasure. 

Wonwoo was one of those curious students. In fact, he was probably the most curious out of them. An idea popped into his head and he squeezed in between the students, leaving his friends behind. He could always share the juicy details when he came back. 

When he was stopped by Mr. Park, he gave an excuse that he wanted to speak to a teacher urgently. So that was how he ended up in the staff room, waiting for the teacher he "wanted to speak to urgently".

The teachers in the staff room were in disarray, Wonwoo noticed. Everyone was panicking as they figured how they were going unwrap the cling wrap from Principal Choi's table and get him to calm down as he was apparently really close to blowing his head off.

All of a sudden, the door slid open and Mr. Park walked in, with none other than Mingyu following behind. Their eyes met and Mingyu gave a knowing smile before quickly following the discipline master to his table only to hear him start to nag, for "not cleaning the walls properly", whatever that meant.

The door to the principal's office slammed open and the principal himself stormed out, with Wonwoo's bestfriend following close behind. Seungcheol took notice of Wonwoo standing pathetically like he didn't exist at all in the room and gave a curious look. Wonwoo only smiled mischievously, as his friend walked towards him. 

"What are you doing here?" he asked softly, hoping not to grab others' attention.

Wonwoo replied, "I just needed to talk to Ms. Kim about something."

"But Ms. Kim just took maternity leave. She's not here," Seungcheol spoke dumbly.

Oh yeah. Wonwoo forgot about that fact. Apparently the discipline master himself had also forgotten that too due to the chaos that's currently happening. "I... actually just wanted to see what's going on," he admitted, smiling sheepishly. Seungcheol laughed in response.

"Dude, you're really interested in the pranks, aren't you?"

You have no idea.

"Someone give me a scissors now!" the principal bellowed, stopping their conversation. 

The other teachers rushed to grab the nearest scissors they had and passed it to him. At that moment, the school bell rang, signalling that it was 8:00am, the start of classes. However, strangely, the ringing did not stop, and it was then that everyone realised where the sound was coming from. 

The principal, Mr. Choi, tilted his head to the side with furrowed eyebrows, placing the scissors on the nearest table and walking back into the office.

"Since when did I have an alarm clock here?" he asked to no one in particular. Seungcheol went to join his uncle to provide some assistance and comfort, because, said principal's face was so red you'd think he was sunburned.

"It's coming from here, I think," Seungcheol told him, moving towards the sound of the alarm.

Wonwoo stared at the office, eyes wide opened. He snapped his head towards Mingyu, who was already looking at the principal's office in amusement. Oh , he did this too. Oh like, holy that's awesome.

Mingyu turned his head then, and raised his eyebrows at the older. Wonwoo just shook his head, an awed expression plastered on his face. Mr. Park had went to help Principal Choi with the situation, leaving Mingyu to move next to Wonwoo. 

"Were you that curious?" the younger asked amusedly. To Wonwoo's utmost displeasure, he realised how the younger was taller than him, which meant he had to tilt his head up to look at him when he stood at his side. 

Wonwoo shrugged, trying to seem indifferent. "Not that. I mean, I didn't just lied to the discipline master that I wanted to talk to a teacher who is on maternity leave which could also explain the reason why I'm standing here waiting awkwardly for an absent teacher."

Mingyu looked down at the older. His face showed no emotions whatsoever but he could see the playfulness swimming in his eyes, and he gave a loud laugh that it surprised Wonwoo. 

"I didn't know you'd be this funny, Hyung," he breathed out, wiping a fake tear with a finger. 

A smile grew on Wonwoo's face, pleased that he made the other laugh. "I aim to be a gagman one day."

"Are you serious?"

"Maybe, maybe not," Wonwoo replied, giving a playful smirk.

Mingyu laughed once more, which attracted the attention of a teacher there.

"Hey, you two. Go back to your classes for now. You can come back—" 

The teacher's words were cut off when another bell rang, adding to the first ringing. The surroundings became even more chaotic, especially when different bangings were heard, and then—

"OH MY GOD, IS THAT ," Wonwoo couldn't help exclaiming loudly, which made the teachers kick both him and Mingyu out. 

Wonwoo's mouth was still agape as he left the staff room with Mingyu who was trying to conceal his laughter. 

"You didn't... you didn't. Holy . That was... wow." 

Mingyu just chuckled. "I was right, this was worth it. I get to see your cute reactions."

Wonwoo did a double take, composing himself. Cute? Did this hoobae of mine just called me cute? "Yah, don't call me cute," he chastised, narrowing his eyes.

"Whatever you say, Hyung," the younger spoke teasingly, as the both of them walked back to class.

***

A/N: Sorry for this really really really late update. I have no excuses to give tbh, maybe I had a bit of writer's block, but other than that I was just lazing around since exams finished.