Sensitive Conversations

The Invisible Pranksters

There are some time skips(?) here, just fyi. 

Ever since Wonwoo had introduced his friends to Mingyu's friends and Mingyu himself, the group had interacted more and more. Soon, it was safe to say that everyone was friends with everyone. It had come to a point where they would wait for one another after school to go the the convenience store for ramen. Along the way of becoming friends, Minghao had also joined them.

As Wonwoo, Seungcheol, Soonyoung and Junhui took a seat with Mingyu's group of friends during lunch, they realised the addition of another student. He had large, round eyes, a chubby nose Wonwoo found to be cute, and was as skinny as a noodle.

"Hey, guys!" Seokmin greeted, fist-bumping with Soonyoung, who he had grown really close to overtime. Everyone greeted back.

"So who's this— Ahhh! You must be Minghao!" Junhui said, excitedly. "You're Chinese too, right?"

Minghao looked towards the other, smiling as he nodded. "That's right. I heard about you from Mingyu."

"We've been trying to get him to come down for lunch these past few weeks. The moment we mentioned we'd be sitting with another Chinese guy, he agreed to follow us right away," Jeonghan explained, causing everyone else to snicker.

"You must be excited to know another student from China," Wonwoo said to Minghao. 

"It's not common to find Chinese students who go to school here," Junhui spoke. He sighed happily. "Finally, I have someone I can speak my native language with!"

Mingyu was grinning happily at his friends. He had hoped that Minghao would speak up more if he knew someone he was more comfortable with. Feeling a poke on his arm, he turned to his side, smile widening as he faced Wonwoo.

"Hey," Wonwoo greeted, lips forming a secretive smile. A smile specially meant for Mingyu.

"Hi," Mingyu replied. He almost leaned in towards the older, but caught himself in time. 

They began eating, stealing glances every now and then, and oblivious to Seungcheol suspicious gaze.

*

Sluuuuuuurp.

"This is the tastiest ramen ever!" Soonyoung moaned.

"It's the same ramen you eat everyday..." Wonwoo deadpanned. 

"Still!" Was his friend's quick reply.

The group had met up at the convenience store after school, and they were as rowdy as ever. Their conversations were so loud that the worker in the convenience store had to tell them to quieten a little as it was situated near homes. Soonyoung was rambling about nonsensical things to Seokmin, Junhui and Minghao were conversing in Mandarin, Seungcheol was asking Wonwoo about his brother, to which he replied about his brother talking non-stop about his new foreign classmate, and the rest were having normal conversations about school or games they played.

"Do you guys watch any dramas?" Soonyoung asked out of the blue.

Jeonghan clapped his hands excitedly. "I made a list of all the dramas I've watched!"

"Don't even get him started," Mingyu groaned, knowing his friend's obsession with dramas.

"Actually, we just binge watched all the episodes of a drama the other day. We all should do that one day too! I'm sure my house can fit all of us," Soonyoung suggested, basically jumping in his seat.

"That'll be fun!" Seokmin responded. "I've never binge watched all the episodes before, let alone with friends."

"What drama did you watch?" Jeonghan asked curiously. 

"You're All Surrounded. Ah, my favourite actress, Go Ara is in it..." Soonyoung replied dreamily.

The other seemed much more excited. "I've watched that too! It's really such a good drama, and the characters all have a backstory too."

"That's what I thought! I found Park Tae Il's story much sadder, though. His brother was gay but his parents didn't support them. In the end, he died. Why did it have to be depressing?" Soonyoung cried dramatically.

"The brother was gay?" Junhui asked. Soonyoung shot him a glare.

"Yes, he was. And you didn't know because you were to busy sleeping together with Seungcheol."

Wonwoo laughed then, remembering that night. He also remembered what he had asked Soonyoung...

"Would you mind if someone is gay?" Soonyoung suddenly asked Jeonghan.

 "Of course. I mean, our Mingyu is."

Jeonghan's reply shocked those who didn't know. That and Wonwoo too. He didn't know Mingyu's friends had already known about it. 

"Really?" Junhui asked. "What does it feel like?" 

Seungcheol slapped the back of his head. "You don't just ask someone that, you idiot."

Mingyu hadn't expected Jeonghan to out him that way. He wasn't sure if he should feel annoyed that his friend hadn't talked to him first before revealing to the others, or relieved since the cat was now out of the bag. He cleared his throat.

"Doesn't mean I'm gay I'm attracted to everyone with an extra leg," he responded, offering an awkward smile.

"Hmm... Then do you think Wonwoo is attractive?" Junhui asked slyly.

Mingyu's eyes lingered on Wonwoo. "Well, yes, I mean—" 

"Wonwoo's bi!" Soonyoung suddenly announced, causing said person to whip his head towards him so fast.

"I'm bi?" 

"You're bi?"

"Since when?"

Junhui and Seungcheol turned to Wonwoo. Seungcheol's expression was unreadable as he looked at him. 

Soonyoung clamped a hand over his mouth, before probably deciding that he might as well reveal everything now that he had already said it. "While we were watching, didn't you ask me what if you liked both girls and boys?" 

Wonwoo nodded his head slowly. "Y-yes, I did but," he shot a glance at Mingyu's direction, "doesn't mean I am..." He didn't sound convincing.

"That's what people in denial would say," Seokmin spoke. He raised an eyebrow. "Do you like me?"

Wonwoo choked on his saliva, slapping a head on his forehead. "Heol. How can you and Soonyoung be so similar... It's scary. And no, I don't."

"Would you date our Mingyu?" he asked, wiggling his eyebrows.

"Guys, stop it, you're making him uncomfortable," Mingyu cut in before his friends could roast Wonwoo with questions. The older shot him a grateful look. 

As time passed, the group eventually finished their ramen and headed home. Wonwoo would have stayed a little longer with Mingyu, but he didn't want his friends to tease them again. He waved goodbye to the younger with an unspoken promise that he would text him later, and set off with his friends. 

Along the way, Junhui split up to go his own way, leaving Wonwoo with Seungcheol. 

Wonwoo swallowed a lump in his throat. He was afraid of what Seungcheol would talk or ask him about.

"Wonwoo," his friend called out. "Why didn't you tell us about it?"

"A-about what?"

Seungcheol turned to him. "That you're bi. You asked Soonyoung, but why didn't you come to Junhui and I?"

Wonwoo fidgeted with his fingers, staring at the pavement they were walking on. "It just so happened that Soonyoung was awake at the time, so..." He replied in a small voice.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to be harsh or anything," Seungcheol apologised, sighing. "It's just that I'm kind of upset you didn't tell me something as major as this."

"Don't be sorry, Cheol. I'm the one who should be." For not telling you about my relationship with Mingyu.

"Just— Just tell me everything next time, okay? We're best friends, after all."

Wonwoo couldn't help the guilt that was weighing down on him.

*

"Hey, Mingyu?"

"Yeah?"

"You've never really told me anything about your parents."

Mingyu sat up straight. He and Wonwoo were currently cuddled on the sofa of Mingyu's home, watching a movie. It was a Saturday night, and the both had just wanted to be in each other's presence. 

The question brought up by Wonwoo had taken him by surprise. He knew he hadn't told the older anything about his parents yet, but he didn't expect for him to ask this soon.

Wonwoo, who must have sensed the change in Mingyu's mood, quickly tried to apologised. "I'm sorry— I shouldn't have asked. It slipped out. I just saw your picture of you and your parents, and— I'm sorry, you don't have to tell me now—"

"They died." Was Mingyu's short reply. 

"Mingyu, I'm serious..."

"No, Hyung. You deserve to know. I shouldn't keep everything to myself," Mingyu spoke, turning around in Wonwoo's embrace as he looked at the older in the eye.

Though slightly hesistant, Wonwoo nodded. "Just know that if it gets too much for you to talk about it, you can stop, okay?"

The other offered a small smile, taking Wonwoo's hand in his tightly. 

"The accident happened just two years ago. We were just a normal family— me, my sister, Mom and Dad... Minah had been busy with university when it happened. I was in the car, sitting at the back, and my dad was driving. We were happy, laughing and singing playfully to the songs that played on the radio." Mingyu chuckled sadly, remembering the moment. 

~

"Come on, Honey, just sing it like this!" Mom encouraged, as she sang the song that was currently playing with a mock hoarse voice. 

"Yeah, Son. Don't be a party pooper and live a little," Dad laughed. You'd think that people his age wouldn't think that way anymore.

I groaned. "Why are you all being so embarrassing?" Despite that, I couldn't help the laugh that bubbled its way to my lips. I just did as I was told, singing along with my Mom, and Dad who just joined in.

Once the song had ended and the boring advertisements came up, the car fell into silence, with Mom giggling every now and then while muttering to herself that we were all so silly. 

"You know, Mingyu," Dad spoke up, as he rounded a corner. "I've lived a good forty-five years, and there's one thing I've learned." He glanced at me through the rearview mirror once. "At some moments in our lives, we just need to let it all out and laugh. Have fun — No, not drinking, you underaged child. Like what we just did, just have fun. Sing, dance, joke around and just laugh. It takes away all the pain and stress you've been feeling. If you're just going to be a boring, old hag like your excuse of an aunt, you're just going to pile up your stress. Like that saying goes, All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. So I hope you'll heed my words and live a little while you still can."

I nodded, ingraining Dad's words in my brain. Mom looked towards Dad lovingly, and it was at that moment that I was so thankful for what I had. For my family and for who they were as a person.

We were all still in smiles, with the radio playing quietly in the background.

We were all still smiling.

We were smiling.

We were just smiling. 

And then it all happened so fast.

A truck was speeding in the opposite direction of the lane, and in a second, the happy atmosphere in the car had morphed into a mixture of worry, panic, and horror. Mom screamed, and at that moment, she had turned around, staring at me with wide, terrified-filled eyes. Dad tried to swerve the car to the side, but to no avail. The truck that was racing down the lane crashed front-to-front with our car. 

There was a loud crashing sound, and then silence.

The seat belt I had worn had dug into my chest deeply that it began to hurt to breathe, and my head had hit the window next to me. I could feel warm liquid sliding down the side of my head.

My attention then quickly turned towards to my parents. With shaking hands and ragged breathing, I took off my seat belt, leaning forward. I ignored the sharp pain in my chest with every movement. 

I wasn't ready for what greeted me at the front seats. Mom and Dad were unconscious, and the sight of their bloodied faces terrified me to the very core. 

"Mom... Dad? Wake up. Mom, wake up!" I shook her shoulders. No response. "Dad? Dad? Wake up, Dad! Don't worry me like this, I–"

My eyes moved over towards the shattered front windows, then towards the crushed dashboard. The lower parts of my parents' bodies disappeared underneath it. 

I screamed. 

"Mom, Dad, don't do this to me! Please wake up and tell me you're okay!" Fat, round tears rolled down my cheeks as I sobbed and scream. 

All of a sudden, the door to my right opened, and a pair of arms dragged me out despite my protests. 

"Have you called the ambulance?" The man asked to someone else.

I thrashed around in his arms, flailing my arms towards the car where my parents were still there. 

"Hey, hey! Child, listen to me," the man who brought me out spoke. "The ambulance are on the way with the civil defence force. We can't get your parents out because they're trapped."

"I need to go to them!" I shouted, still struggling. "I need to go to my parents. I... I can't leave..." 

The pain in my chest had escalated and soon I found myself slowly losing consciousness. 

"Child, are you– . Seungkwan, help me bring him to the side."

The noises became a garbled mess as I fell in and out of conscious, still crying for my parents. Soon, pain had overtaken my body and I succumbed to the darkness.

"Mingyu! Mingyu, get back to your senses!" Wonwoo shouted, placing his hands on the younger's cheeks.

Mingyu hadn't realised he was crying until then. His chest heaved as his breathing got heavier. He looked towards Wonwoo, seeing a look of concern and panic on his face.

"S- Sorry..." he whispered, closing his eyes as another tear escaped.

"Why would you be sorry, you idiot. I told you to stop if it gets too much," Wonwoo scolded.

He embraced the younger, bringing his head to the crook of his neck and rubbing his back to pacify the traumatised boy.

"I didn't know you were this broken..." Wonwoo whispered sadly.

It broke his heart, knowing Mingyu's past.

And it broke his heart even more, understanding that the reason for his pranks were to provide laughter to hide his pain, and to follow his late father's words.

 

 

A/N: Sooooo, Mingyu's past has been revealed! And a little insight has been given on Seungcheol. What do you guys think? Jeonghan and Soonyoung... two kings of spoilers... xD 

I'm thinking of changing the story's name, but I'm not sure if I should now that I'm this far into the story. Tell me if you think I should, then I'll come up with another title that isn't as boring and lame as my current one haha.

There aren't any pranks here, and there probably won't be anytime soon. Maybe there will. Maybe there won't. I've already planned my conflict so sit back and relax and enjoy the fluff while there still is.

Y'all just from the first part here, you already know what other Seventeen otp I ship lmaoooo.

AND 92 SUBSCRIBERS I FEEL SO TOUCHED OMG I'M ALMOST TO A HUNDRED. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH. :')

Have you seen Seventeen winning the award on AAA? Yes? Then vote for them in MAMA.

MINGYU'S. HAIR. IS. BLONDE. HE. LOOKS. SO. EFFING. GOOD. I. CRIED. AT. HIS. BEAUTY. WHEN. I. SAW. HIS. PREVIEWS.

~~~***~~~***~~~***~~~***~~~***~~~***~~~***~~~

(You can read this if you're interested in another Meanie fic I'm writing. If not, please ignore this~:D)

So I'm ALMOST finished writing the first chapter of my other Meanie fic called "Teach Me How to Love". I know I should be focusing on this fic first, but I couldn't help it. x3 Maybe I'll only post the first chapter to get people fired up for it. A little insight on this fic, it's like a student x teacher plus underground fighting au kinda thing? Like Mingyu is a dropout who fights at the underground fighting rink and meets Wonwoo there, and things occur and Mingyu has to go back to school, where he, of course, finds Wonwoo. Who just so happens to be his teacher. There might be some angst? I don't really know how to categorise angst. But there will be the backstory of Mingyu who ran away from home because it was loveless, and there will be some abuse in it too. :(

If you're interested in it, please do show your support! This story plot is an original plot I came up with, if I do say so myself hehe. There's another, not-a-fanfic and completed version of it I wrote on Wattpad. But it had bad and cringy storylines cuz I wrote it when I was 13. 

Here's the link>>> Teach Me How to Love, you know, if you wanna subscribe and get informed when the first chapter is up. *wink wink* 

Thank you if you took the time to read this!