Under the Rain

The Invisible Pranksters

In the silent night, underneath the staircase, two boys were lip-locked. 

Wonwoo didn't know what to do. He had initiated this act but he was so afraid. Mingyu, on the other hand, had his eyes wide opened, trying to process the fact that his senior's lips were on his. Wonwoo's lips were cold yet warm, so foreign yet felt like they belonged on his. His heart was beating rapidly in his chest, as all he could think of was that his senior and friend just kissed him and oh my gosh.

After what felt like eternity, Wonwoo quickly pulled back. He was plagued with thoughts on how he was supposed to explain this to the flustered younger boy next to him. What was he supposed to say? "I'm sorry, I kinda like you and you were so close to me that I can't help but kiss you." 

Stuttering, he finally spoke. ", um... I didn't mean-- I mean, I didn't expect myself to do that, Um..."

Mingyu opened his mouth, ready to reply with whatever Wonwoo was afraid he would say, when the sound of the back door opening and closing grabbed their attention. There were sounds of footsteps too as the security guard entered the security room. The duo knew that this unsaid conversation would have to wait, as the main priority was to escape. 

The younger went ahead first, looking around before signaling Wonwoo to follow him. 

The cool wind slapped them in their faces the moment they got out, and it was then they realised that it was about to rain. As quick as the lightning that just flashed across the dark sky, they quickly ran to their bicycles that were parked a street down from the school.

Rain started spilling from the sky like a huge shower.

They continued pedaling until they reached the convenience store that seemed to have become their usual meeting spot. Wonwoo went under the huge umbrella first, and with a hand motion, told the younger to hurry up. Then again, the damage had already been done and they were both soaking wet.

Not caring if the seats were wet too, they took a seat, leaving their bicycles next to the table. The sounds of the rain pattering, thunder roaring, leaves rustling violently and the winds howling like ghosts engulfed them. There was tension between them as their minds drifted off to the event that had just happened under the staircase. 

"That was fun," Wonwoo broke the silence awkwardly. He prayed that Mingyu would just play along and pretend that everything was fine. "The prank, I mean." He gave a small smile. 

Even when they felt awkward, Mingyu could still see the sparkle in Wonwoo's eyes. The same one he'd seen multiple times when the other was talking about a prank. This time, it was much stronger, having done the prank himself too. Amidst the excitement, however, he couldn't ignore the worried and scared look on his face, and he knew the reason for it.

Taking a deep breath, Mingyu replied, "Thrilling, isn't it? But what just happened with the guard hadn't happened before. With the escape blocked and all." 

Suddenly, he remembered something.

"Hey, I think you've almost caught me once too, actually."

"You mean when I actually caught you?" Wonwoo responded, raising an eyebrow.

Mingyu shook his head. "No, it was before that. The night when I planted those seeds in the keyboards, I heard two voices. One was yours. You would've caught me, but I hid under the same stairs we were just at..." He trailed off, remembering the kiss.

Wonwoo seemed to have realised too. How could he even forget? It had been on his mind this whole time. He cleared his throat. "I remembered having to return some things to the club room before our break. To think about it, the fact that I almost caught you is... Wow."

The younger laughed, and the two fell into silence once more, staring at the rain droplets falling.

"You recognised my voice?" Wonwoo asked suddenly.

Mingyu turned to look at him, surprised. "Oh? Yeah... You have this really unique deep voice, I guess. I remembered when you and your friend approached me once to join the book club."

Wonwoo cocked his head to the side. "I had talked to you before? Maybe there were too many students I had approached I totally forgot you were one of them. But I have a feign memory of you then, now that I think about it."

The two shared a smile, and Wonwoo felt the same feeling before. He couldn't help notice how good Mingyu looked with his hair wet and fringe stuck to his forehead. Oh gosh, he look so-

"Hyung," Mingyu called out again. "About just now..."

I'm not ready. I won't be able to handle it if he rejects me. No. I need to get away. The anxious feeling was back.

"You know what? I think I have to go now. See you," Wonwoo cut off, the words spilling out quickly as he stood and grabbed his bicycle.

He sped walked back into the rain with his bicycle, ignoring Mingyu's calls. 

Wonwoo hadn't walked far, when he felt a pair of arms stopping him and turning him around. , Mingyu. Can't you just leave it? 

"What, Mingyu?" Wonwoo asked a little too harshly. 

"I just- I- I wanted to- " Mingyu sighed. "You know what? Screw this."

Before the older could comprehend anything, Mingyu had cupped both his cheeks and leaned down, closing the gap between them.

Like before, time stopped. The sounds around them faded in the background as the only thing that mattered was that Mingyu was kissing him. And it wasn't the quick peck like he had done before. Mingyu's head was tilted as his smooth lips moved against his idle ones. His left thumb was gently caressing Wonwoo's cheek, as if he was a fragile art piece. 

Wonwoo's eyes were still wide opened, as he stared at the boy who had his closed. His entire being felt hot as he struggled to control his breathing. The younger didn't gave any signs that he was about to pull away, and soon, Wonwoo found himself warming up to the kiss.

The bicycle he was supporting dropped onto the ground as he finally let his arms encircle Mingyu's neck, pulling him closer and closing his eyes. He could feel the other's lips form into a smile, before moving his hands to entangle his fingers through his hair.

So there they were, both Mingyu and Wonwoo, kissing under the rain like an overly cliche and cheesy romantic movie until they both parted and gave each other shy smiles. 

"Um..." Mingyu started. "We should get going before we get pneumonia or something."

Wonwoo nodded as he couldn't find his voice to reply. He was still in a daze from their brief make out. What just happened? What does this mean?

"I know this is probably too much to ask, but do you want to come over? My house is right across here. The rain's too heavy now..." Mingyu offered. "I promise I won't do anything," he quickly added. 

After contemplating it for a while, Wonwoo agreed, and Mingyu ran back towards the umbrella to retrieve his bicycle before guiding the older towards his apartment complex.

Once they were in, they discarded their shoes and socks at the entrance. 

"Wait here, I'll grab a towel before you go further in. My sister would kill me if she sees the whole floor wet," Mingyu spoke. 

Wonwoo smiled as the younger went into a door that was most probably his room. He scanned the whole apartment.

It wasn't really big, actually. Upon entering, there was a mini hallway and the kitchen was to the left. It was separated by an island with two chairs tucked underneath it. Further in was the living room, with a green leather couch that was probably too small for the tall Mingyu. There were three other doors in total, one on the left- where Mingyu disappeared into- and the other two on the right. Wonwoo guessed that one of them was his sister's room and the other was the bathroom.

Wonwoo chuckled at the image of Mingyu trying to lie down on the sofa that was too small for him. 

"Why are you laughing?" Speak of the devil. Mingyu finally reappeared with two towels.

"It's nothing, I was just thinking how you'd look like lying down on your couch. Your long legs must be uncomfortable."

Mingyu laughed. "Definitely."

Just as Wonwoo was about to reach for one of the towels, Mingyu had stepped forward and used it to dry his hair, taking the older off guard. After his hair was semi-dry, the younger gently dabbed the towel on his wet face. He used the second towel to wrap around Wonwoo before putting an arm around his shoulder.

"You should have a warm shower first, hyung," he said, walking Wonwoo to the bathroom. "I'll get you some dry clothes before you're done and leave it outside the door, if that's okay."

"What about you? You're pretty much drenched from the rain too." Wonwoo couldn't help but be touched by his actions. 

Mingyu offered an assuring smile. "I can take a shower after you. Maybe we can... Talk things out after this," he said, a little hesitantly.

Of course. 

Wonwoo nodded nervously, before entering the bathroom. 

"Oh, there's a spare toothbrush in the top cupboard," Mingyu half-shouted through the door, making the other laugh.

In five minutes, Wonwoo was done having a nice, warm shower. In only a towel around his waist, he began brushing his teeth. 

He could hear some movement from just outside the door and figured Mingyu must've placed the clothes there. After rinsing his mouth, he absentmindedly opened the door to retrieve the clothing, not noticing the younger who was still outside. Immediately, Mingyu looked away before he could stare at Wonwoo's pale chest that- okay, so maybe he did managed to get a look. 

"Sorry!" Mingyu squeaked, his voice going a few octaves higher. He rushed back into his room, leaving a red-faced Wonwoo.

 Changing into some dry clothes, Wonwoo realised that as Mingyu was much bigger than him, his clothes were big too. The sweater Wonwoo wore felt like a giant's. The sleeves covered his whole arms and hands and his shoulder were showing a bit too much. Luckily, the younger had given him a pair of sweatpants that could be tightened, though he still needed to fold the ends of it. 

Carefully, he left the bathroom. Mingyu was at the kitchen, stirring a cup of what looked like hot chocolate.

"Here, hyung, I made some hot chocolate for you. Drink this first while I take a shower, okay?" he said, as he grabbed some of his clothes and entered the bathroom.

The sound of the shower running could be heard and Wonwoo sat down on one of the chairs at the island. He quietly sipped on the hot chocolate, savouring the chocolatey aroma and the warmth it provided. 

Upon seeing the time, however, he suddenly jumped up. It was already three in the morning, and since it was still a school night, he would have to get up in less than four hours time. They had spent so much time in school and under the rain...

Wonwoo blushed, remembering their kiss under the rain, and he touched his lips with his fingers. 

So what are we now? 

Mingyu had said he wanted to talk about it after he showered. The fact that he himself had initiated the second kiss made Wonwoo slightly at ease, as this meant something. Furthermore, he hadn't pushed the older away at the staircase earlier on too. There was no look of repulsion whatsoever, like how the characters playing the parents in the drama had looked at their son's fiance. It's okay. I'm okay. I'm going to be okay. 

The door to the bathroom creaked open, before a wet-haired Mingyu emerged. 

Wonwoo spoke. "I think I better head home now. It's school night and I don't want to worry my parents if they saw I'm not in my room. We'll... We'll talk about it tomorrow, okay?"

Mingyu's hand that was wiping his hair dropped to his side, smiling understandingly. For some reason, the smile seemed almost sad to Wonwoo.

"Oh, okay. Will you be okay, though? It's still drizzling outside." He looked worriedly towards the window, making the other smile.

"I'll be okay if I could lend an umbrella."

The younger looked around, slinging his towel over his shoulder. "An umbrella... Let me see..."

As he searched around for one, Wonwoo realised something. "Hey, you said you have a sister. Where is she?" he asked.

Mingyu was pulling some drawers as he replied, "She's still at work. Apparently the brand is opening another outlet and she has to help with the products."

Wonwoo nodded slowly. He wanted to ask about his parents as he saw a family picture near the television, but he didn't dare ask about them. Something must have happened if Mingyu didn't want to talk about them voluntarily.

"Wait, does this mean you're going to be alone?" Wonwoo asked, looking at the younger who was now searching the shoe cupboard.

"Where is the damn umbrella" Mingyu muttered to himself, before replying, "Yeah. I've become used to it, though."

The sound of thunder suddenly roared loudly, making both of them jump slightly. Wonwoo wasn't sure if this was a good idea, but he made a choice.

"Hey Mingyu?" he spoke, and the younger's head popped out from the cupboard where it was previously buried in. "Actually..." Just say it. "I think I'll just stay here, if it's okay with you. The rain seems to be dangerous. I can tell my parents I left for school early tomorrow..."

Mingyu stood upright. "S- Sure! Um... If you're uncomfortable sleeping in my room you can take my sister's... No wait, she'll kill me... I can sleep on the couch and you can sleep inside!"

The older laughed. "It's okay, I don't mind sleeping in your room." His face reddened for a moment. "Unless you're uncomfortable..."

"No!" Mingyu replied too quickly. "I mean... I'll just go set an extra mattress and blanket..." he said softly, going back into his room.

Wonwoo sat back down on the chair, finishing up his lukewarm chocolate drink. Chuckling to himself, he knew that this meant the talk was going to be done sooner than he thought, and he was extremely nervous.

**

 

A/N: ...

Um
I don't know what just happened. 
My fingers typing have a mind of their own...

Okay, so I really didn't plan for the change in their relationship/friendship to change this fast. But then again, my life has been full of unplanned surprises lol. Tbh I don't really plan my stories. I just type whatever comes to mind and when I really get into the mood my fingers will just keep typing and typing and now it feels like the characters are coming to life on it's own or maybe I'm just too obsessed with the drama W. I had to end the chapter here so I have things to write the next. The story seems slow yet fast if you get what I mean so please bare with me. T^T

What should happen next? A confession? A change in direction of conversation that they don't talk about that kiss? A talk about Mingyu's parents? So many questionssss.

My school is starting next week so updates might be late. No promises. :(

Thanks for reading and subscribe and comment and upvote and follow me on twitter and thank you and byeee~

 

 

That rain kiss thooooooooooooooooooooooo