A Slow Realisation

The Invisible Pranksters

"No way. You can't be serious!" Jun exclaimed incredulously. Soonyoung was too busy laughing his head off.

"I'm dead serious, bro. I was there," Wonwoo replied. "I firsthand heard the sound of those people doing you know what and everyone's reactions were freaking hilarious. Sadly I couldn't see Mr. Choi's reactions cuz I was kicked out, but maybe Seungcheol did."

Three pairs of eyes turned to Seungcheol expectantly, and the latter leaned in closer in their circle as if he was about to spill some top class secret. "Well, for starters... His already red face became even more red. And so did the other teachers' faces too though. Everyone was so taken aback they slowly left, leaving me and my uncle. But of course I wasn't gonna stay there and here those sounds so I left too," he concluded, leaning back against his seat. "I'm not sure how he managed to stop those sounds, considering the computer was trapped in the cling wrap."

Jun let out a low whistle. "These pranksters must be geniuses to have thought about it," he commented. 

Soonyoung nodded. "Ah... Such a waste I didn't get to witness it. Wonwoo, you sly fox, leaving us behind..."

"Hey, in my defense, it was really crowded and it was hard to communicate with you guys, so I had no choice," Wonwoo laughed.

Currently, the four friends were seated in the cafeteria, picking at their lunch as they gossiped about the recent pranks. After reaching the classroom late, Wonwoo had apologized to the teacher and went to his seat, Jun and Soonyoung shooting lasers at him with their eyes. He had whispered to them that he'll explain everything that had happened during break, which was now. 

Throughout the whole of first period, Wonwoo couldn't pay attention. His thoughts were all over the place— to the prank, to last night, to Kim Mingyu. He couldn't believe that he had actually caught the one and only Invisible Prankster, made a deal with him, and is in somewhat friendly terms with said person. Not only that, he couldn't wrap his mind around the fact that he had assisted in the pranking of Principal Choi.

It gave him some sort of thrill in his boring, typical life. Not that his friends didn't made him happy, because they did and they were the best friends he could ask for. His life was just missing one little element to fulfill his inner adventurous side. As reading was his hobby, he had read books of different genres and different plots. Reading those books that were filled with action and suspense had made him yearn to have that incorporated in his life.

"Okay, so I'm going to binge watch an old drama called You're All Surrounded this Friday night," Soonyoung declared. "Those who wants to join, say "I"."

Immediately, three other sets of voices were harmoniously saying, "I", including Wonwoo. Binge watching a drama would be a stress reliever from his current school work. 

As they got up and picked up their trays to head back to their classroom, Wonwoo caught sight of a familiar taller male from across the cafeteria, talking to his friends. Mingyu. He had a huge grin on his face, and it was then that Wonwoo realised just how beautiful his smile was. 

Wow, now where did that come from? Beautiful? Another guy's smile? 

Wonwoo shook his head and followed his friends out. 

*

That night, as Mingyu laid down on the sofa to watch a variety show, his phone buzzed on the coffee table. He absentmindedly reached out for it and realised he had gotten a text from Wonwoo. Immediately, he sat up straight, variety show forgotten. 

WW: So...do you have anymore plans for a prank?

Mingyu smiled at the older's eagerness. That day at the cafeteria, he had actually seen Wonwoo telling his friends the details of what had happened in Principal Choi's office. He remembered the way his eyes shone and the way he explained with utmost focus that the older didn't realised that Mingyu had walked by him.

Just to see the same expression on Wonwoo's face, Mingyu had a thought to carry out a minor prank, so that he could slowly get used to carrying them out.

MG: I was thinking we could start of with something small...

MG: Do you... have any ideas? (:

Mingyu went back to his original position on the sofa as he awaited Wonwoo's reply, which actually came only a minute later. He quickly opened the message. 

WW: Want to meet up? I'll be at the convenience store you work at (eating ramyun) if you do~

He really didn't have to ask twice, as Mingyu was in his room changing into proper clothings in a split second and bolted out. 

MG: I'll be there in 5 minutes 

*

Mingyu spotted the older sitting at the round tables located outside the store, slurping his ramyun. He speed walked towards the table and sat down across him, flashing the other a bright grin.

"Hello, Hyung, also known as my partner-in-crime," Mingyu greeted cheerily, happy to see his new acquaintance. 

Wonwoo looked up from his food to greet him back. "Oh hey, you're here quick."

"My house is just around here," the younger responded. He didn't realised the present of another bowl of ramyun in front of him. "Are you eating two bowls?" he asked amusedly.

The other shook his head, and pointed to Mingyu. "It's yours. I figured you'd want to eat as well. It's still hot so..."

The smile on Mingyu's face grew wider at Wonwoo's thoughtfulness. "Thanks, Hyung!" 

They quietly ate their noodles, the peacefulness between them a comfortable feeling. Once in a while, the two would make eye contact, making them chuckle jokingly. Mingyu was the first to break the silence.

"So, as I was saying, maybe we could start off small so that you'd get used to carrying out pranks," Mingyu started. "It isn't as easy as it seems, you know. You'd need to learn how to sneak by the cameras, picklock, and all those. Actually, I can just teach you how to picklock, if I have a lock with me..." 

Wonwoo listened intently, nodding and looking at Mingyu as if he was the master or all prank masters, if that made sense. 

"But first things first, do you have any ideas?" Mingyu asked, as he stacked his now empty ramyun bowl on top of Wonwoo's. 

The older nodded, taking out his phone and opening an internet page to show him. He had done a bit of research on the different pranks that were cool. 

"I kinda went through the internet to see what pranks there were and I found this. It looks cool and I definitely wanna try it in a classroom or the staff room," Wonwoo explained. 

Mingyu took a look at the web page on the phone. "Wrapping every furniture with aluminium foil?" He read aloud. "I've seen this, but haven't done this before. That's a great idea!"

Wonwoo smiled proudly. "I know right? I'm actually really excited. Can we do this?"

"Are you serious? You don't even have to ask me. Of course we'll do this! Hmm... How about some time next week? I'm afraid it'll be too early to do another prank after what happened to Mr. Choi," Mingyu responded. The older nodded eagerly. 

"That's true. So, where should we do this at? The staff room? Or maybe a classroom?" He enquired. 

"Let's do the classroom. The staff room is much riskier with more cameras."

"Okay, it's settled then. We choose a classroom and do it next week," Wonwoo concluded, grinning. 

There it was again. The expression that Mingyu had wanted to see from the other. His eyes were shining with excitement and he was smiling really widely that it was contagious. Mingyu smiled with him. 

Wonwoo was beyond excited. He couldn't wait to carry out the prank that he had proposed and was acknowledged by the younger and experienced prankster sitting in front of him. Finally, the time where he finally has some excitement in his life had come. 

But he couldn't decide now, if that excitement had something to do with the prank, or the boy smiling with him. 

"Hey," Mingyu spoke. "How about I teach you how to picklock soon? I'll bring a lock next time."

"Sure. When do you want to meet up?" Wonwoo didn't hesitate to answer. 

"Are you free on Friday night?" He asked. 

Oh no, I already have plans with the others. But Mingyu... "I actually have plans with my friends that night," Wonwoo replied, the disappointment evident in his voice. 

If Mingyu was disappointed too, he didn't show it on his face. Instead, he gave him a reassuring smile. "It's okay, Hyung. How about Saturday night then?"

Wonwoo nodded. "That should be okay then. Let's meet here again?"

"Yeah, sure!" Mingyu replied cheerfully. 

*

The days passed and it was finally drama night with the boys, much to Soonyoung's pleasure. He was ready for a night of detectives, action and Go Ara. 

For the past two days, Wonwoo and Mingyu had kept in touch by texting. They talked about little things like school and friends, or in Wonwoo's case, he'd talked about the latest book he had bought. They found themselves becoming closer, and dare he say it, like friends. However, he didn't know if Mingyu considered him as a friend too. 

Wonwoo was quickly becoming fond of the younger, like a little brother or a just a friend. He was afraid of thinking of him as more than that, didn't want to venture out into those thoughts that was frowned upon many Koreans. However, Mingyu's 24-hour cheerfulness was appealing and it was just really comfortable being and having a conversation with him.

"I have already downloaded all the episodes into my laptop," Soonyoung announced. "Get comfortable, boys. It's gonna be a long 20 hours of non-stop drama."

*

Episodes and hours later— Wonwoo lost count— Seungcheol was on the floor, hugging a pillow with drool on his face. Jun was sitting on the bed, but his eyes were closed. Wonwoo was struggling to keep his eyes open. And Soonyoung was sitting crossed-leg, eyes still wide opened and back crouched slightly forward towards the laptop. 

Wonwoo had to admit, the drama was really interesting. It didn't only focus on the main characters. The supporting ones had backstories too that seemed to attract Wonwoo's interest, like this particular character that was currently telling his story to his friends. 

This character had been stabbed and was in the hospital, surrounded by his co-workers and friends who had worried expressions on their faces. He then proceeded to tell his story of why he chose to become a detective.

Apparently, he used to have an older brother. Being from a rich household, the family had a reputation to uphold and their parents were strict at maintaining that. One day, the older brother had confronted their parents with another man by his side, who he introduced as his boyfriend

As expected, their parents had refused to accept his son being with another man. Despised it. At that moment, this character had overheard them and upon trying to process the fact that his brother was in fact gay, he turned and left the room. 

It was shown that the older brother cherished the character so much, that he went on to chase him. 

Of course, like every tragic story, whilst chasing for his younger brother, he mindlessly crossed the road and got hit by a vehicle that had killed him instantly. 

His older brother's dream was to become a detective, but was forced by their parents to become a doctor. Feeling as though his death was the character's fault, he made it his goal to fulfill that dream. 

Wonwoo wasn't so sleepy anymore, his heart thumping in his chest as he replayed the scene where the brother came out as gay in his head. 

Gay. Like, like guys. 

"Damn," Soonyoung finally spoke after hours of silence. "I can't believe the parents are that cruel."

Wonwoo turned to his friend, suddenly interested in what he had to say. 

"I know most people are religious and hate the idea of, you know, same-gender relationships," he continued, eyes still glued to the screen of his laptop. "But I have a cousin who's Christian. You know Jisoo? He once told me that even if he's religious and all, it doesn't mean he has to hate these people. Who are we to hate them? If that's the path they want to go, then let them. At the end of the day, they're still humans like all of us and the fact that they're gay doesn't change their personalities. They're still the same person— Are you all asleep? Oh Wonwoo, at least you're still awake." He looked around at the two sleeping bodies before smiling at Wonwoo, glad his short preaching hadn't went unheard. 

Wonwoo stared at the other as he thought. "What if," he started. "What if you like guys, but you like girls too? Are there such people?" He asked bashfully. 

Soonyoung's attention was back on the drama, but he still answered. "Then that means you're biual. Are you bi, Wonwoo?" He now turned to face Wonwoo. "Do you like me?" He jokingly asked. 

The curious expression on Wonwoo's face morphed into that of mock disgust. "I'd rather get rashes from eating seafood."

They laughed quietly and continued watching, but by then, a million thoughts were swirling through Wonwoo's head like a tornado. 

Is it possible...? 

That Saturday night, Wonwoo found his answer.

 

A/N: So I kind of touched a bit on the topic of being gay in Korea, cuz I wanted to try and keep the settings of the story real. (Although Meanie would probably not be real T-T I can only dream) Although the subject of gay is really frowned upon there, it doesn't mean that everyone is against it. And ok, that part where Soonyoung quotes Jisoo is what I personally think myself, being kinda religious and all. It's like watching Connor Franta on Youtube and loving him for his personality and all, then when he came out as gay it really didn't change my perception of him. But I guess anyone who's reading this aren't oppose to lgbt seeing that it's about Meanie xD 

Oh and for those who haven't seen the kdrama You're All Surrounded starring Lee Seung Gi, Go Ara, Ahn Jaehyun (who plays the character mentioned here), etc, you should probably go watch it cuz it's reaaaaally good. And if I got some parts of the plot wrong here please excuse me, it's been a long time since I watched it lmao.

If you ever wanna talk to me, see my update whatsoever, feel free to follow my twitter at @meanie1706 17 cuz wonwoo's bday and 06 cuz mingyu's bday xP