The Advice

Can Love Be Arranged?

Tzuyu was frantically moving around in her office. She was searching for a certain piece of paper that she had mixed up with her other work. It needed to be submitted to her sister as soon as possible. She almost cried in glee when she found it, lifting it up in triumph. She shuffled it within her pile of papers and jogged the few metres into her sister’s office, landing the pile on her table.

“You were almost late.” Her sister commented.

“I couldn’t find a part of the pile.” Tzuyu confessed, blushing.

“I’m surprised you find anything on that desk of yours. It’s a total mess!”

“Mina Unnie!” Tzuyu whined.

“What! It’s true!” Mina scoffed before she picked up her phone and smiled.

“Why are you smiling? Ah! You must be talking to Chaeyoung Cheohyeong?” Tzuyu teased.  (A/N: Cheohyeong means sister-in-law)

“Ya! I can sense your teasing!” Mina replied.

“How’s Somi? I should come over and visit her again.” Tzuyu pondered.

“Don’t you dare. All you do is spoil her! She thinks she can get anything she wants.” Mina snickered.

“I must be doing a good job then.” Tzuyu smirked.

“Get out, you…idiot! Remember that we have dinner tonight with Uncle Taecyeon.” Mina smiled.

“Alright, alright. That means I get to see Somi! Yes!” Tzuyu shouted, leaving the room.

She loved her sister, really. They were the closest of friends and she was glad their relationship turned out like that. About six years back, they weren’t as close as they were now. Back then, Mina often partied with friends and always stayed on her phone till late. It wasn’t until her marriage was arranged with Chaeyoung Cheohyeong that they became closer. She started talking to Tzuyu a lot more often and vented out her feelings. Tzuyu nonetheless, did the same.

University often left her in despair with the piling work and Mina was there to help. Business degrees were filled with essays – something Tzuyu was never good at. She preferred practical work over theoretical; it was much easier to grasp concepts. She finally got the hang of her work towards her final year. She did well and graduated at the top of her Honours Class. She was immediately given a job at her sister’s company and worked up from there.

While Mina might not have wanted an arranged relationship, Tzuyu found herself wishing for one herself. In her entire 22 years of living, she had never once been in a relationship. Sure, she’s had crushes and people she thought were cute, but she was never romantically invested in a relationship. University kept her away from a social life and work was no different.

Tzuyu thought that at her age, falling love before getting married was going to be a distraction which is why she was okay with an arranged marriage. Sometimes she did wish she had some experience in relationships but she couldn’t change the past; she’d change her future though. She didn’t want to be stuck in the past – she wanted to change. Seeing her sister and her family makes Tzuyu want something like that as well.

Tzuyu often sighed thinking about how her life had become so…boring. She had few friends yet she rarely hung out with them. She was extremely close with the elderly secretary at the front desk who was like another mother to her. Tzuyu kept herself in her work and maybe that was the mistake. She needed to even out her time.

She shook the thoughts out of her head and headed home. Her uncle, Taecyeon, was coming over for dinner and also a possible marriage proposal. The thought made her extremely nervous and anxious. Would she be a good enough partner for someone else?

“Hey Mom.” Tzuyu greeted as she entered her house.

“Hey sweetie. Go get changed and shower. I’ll plate up a little snack for you before your Uncle comes along.” She said.

“Thanks Mom.” Tzuyu shouted as she jogged up the stairs.

She quickly changed out of her work clothes and walked into her shower, welcoming the warm water that hit her stiff shoulders. Constantly hunching while she worked affected her posture more than she liked it to. She sighed in bliss at the satisfying feeling. Having a hot shower always made things better for her.

Tzuyu picked out a comfortable outfit and headed back downstairs to eat the snack her mother had prepared for her.

“Tzuyu sweetie, are you sure you want an arranged marriage? You don’t have to do it because we made Mina do it.” Her mother said sadly.

Dad wanted Mina to have an arranged marriage even though Mina didn’t want to have one. As the heir of their company, Dad thought it was a good idea to get married. She was 20 and seemed like she had no plan of settling down so Dad’s argument made sense. Mina wanted to fall in love before getting married but Dad was sure that the person she had picked out for Mina would be the right person. Initially, Mina treated Chaeyoung quite coldly because of this but the latter broke the ice barrier around my sister’s heart and won her over.

Since Tzuyu took the initiative to find someone for herself, Dad left her to her own devices. He really had no issue with who they chose – he just wanted them to settle down in a nice family.

“Mom, it’s really fine. I want this.” Tzuyu said convincingly.

“When did you grow up to be so mature?” Her Mom teased.

“When I started working for Mina Unnie.” Tzuyu responded, earning a hearty chuckle from her Mom.

The doorbell rang and Tzuyu jumped up to get it.

“Chewy Gomo!” Somi squealed as she tackled my legs. (A/N: Gomo is Aunt from the father’s side)

“Oh Somi-yah! How was my Joka’s day? (A/N: Joka means niece)

“Appa didn’t let me buy my favourite candy.” Somi pouted.

“Well, it’s a good thing that I have some here.” Tzuyu said, picking up Somi and taking her to the kitchen.

She pulled out a lollipop from their ‘Somi’ jar and handed it to the happy young girl.

“Don’t tell Appa I got it for you okay?” Tzuyu whispered, giving her pinkie to Somi as a promise.

The doorbell rang again and Tzuyu opened it again.

“Oh Tzuyu. How was your day?” Taecyeon asked.

“It was good Uncle. Glad to be finally home.” Tzuyu whined.

“Now that was an answer I wasn’t expecting. Where’s your Mom?” Taecyeon chuckled.

“In the kitchen.” Tzuyu answered before heading towards her sister.

“Minari, how many times have I told you not to watch TV at dinner time!” Chaeyoung scolded.

“It’s the only times the business news is in detail.” Mina pouted.

Tzuyu laughed at their exchange. If there was one person who could tame Mina – it was definitely Chaeyoung.

“Cheohyeong!” Tzuyu squealed as she walked towards the bickering pair.

“Oh, hey Tzu! How many times have I told you to just call me Chaeyoung?” She shook her head.

“Yes, I know but I like calling you that.” Tzuyu teased.

“It makes me sound old. I’m only a year older than you.” Chaeyoung pouted.

“Aish, I see where Somi gets her aegyo from.” Tzuyu snickered, handing Somi to a glaring Mina.

“How are you feeling about all this?” Chaeyoung asked as Tzuyu sat next to her.

“I’m scared to be honest. I’ve never experienced anything in this field.” Tzuyu muttered.

“I’ve known you for the past 6 years. You’ll be fine. You’re different from your sister.” Chaeyoung winked as Mina chucked a cushion at her wife.

“Tzuyu sweetie, can you come here.” Her Mom called.

“Good luck sis.” Mina said sincerely.

Tzuyu walked to the area where her parents and Taecyeon were sitting.

“Take a seat.” Her Dad offered, chuckling at Tzuyu’s expression. “You don’t have to be scared Tzuyu.”

“I’ll get right into it Tzuyu. Her name is Minatozaki Sana. She's a quiet and shy girl who appreciates everything in life. She’s 23 – she has no parents but she lives with her dearest Uncle and Aunty. They live about two hours away from here and they’re very nice and good people. If you want, we can go visit them this weekend.” Taecyeon suggested.

Tzuyu didn’t respond – still taking in all the information.

“Sweetheart, if you have anyone you like, you can tell me.” Her Dad asked.

“No, Dad. It’s just that I don’t know if I’m ready.” Tzuyu mumbled.

“You’re at an age where being each other’s life is quite easy. I say that from personal experience. She’ll be there for you when you need her. She’ll know when you need her. She’ll take away your sadness and will be the cause of your happiness. You’ll grow to love her with everything you have.” Her Dad informed.

“It’s important to trust each other and to be honest with each other. Without this, a relationship is quite weak. Take some advice from me sweetheart. Talk to her, meet her – get to know her. If you get along – if you understand each other – then you already know the answer.” Her Dad continued.

“There’s one thing I have left to give you – here, this is her photo.” Her Dad pulled up and envelope and placed it on the table. “I’ll wait for your answer. There is no rush, okay?”

Her Dad left and Tzuyu stared at the envelope he had left behind. Was she ready for this? A big commitment? She picked up the envelope, opening it and pulling the photo out slowly. Her heart jumped immediately when she saw the girl – she was absolutely beautiful. Beautiful might even be an understatement. There was a charm in her that Tzuyu couldn’t put a finger to.

Chaeyoung came into the room with Somi, who immediately jumped onto Tzuyu’s lap.

“You know, when Taecyeon talked to Mina about the marriage proposal for the first time, she immediately turned red from shyness and embarrassment. She could’ve put ketchup to shame.” Chaeyoung said, hearing Mina snicker from her seat outside.

“Minari, for once, can you give some advice to your sister instead of going crazy over business?” She scolded.

Mina sulked, but turned off the TV and walked towards them, seating herself next to Chaeyoung.

“When she came to meet me for the first time, she didn’t talk at all. She gave off this cold vibe and seemed like she didn’t want to talk to me. That didn’t stop me from asking her questions though. After a few more meetings, she finally talked to me and asked me things.” Chaeyoung laughed, earning another glare from Mina.

“Unnie, what did you ask?” Tzuyu asked with curiosity.

“I asked her for some juice.” Mina mumbled.

“She asked the same thing when she came and when she left.” Chaeyoung snickered.

“Gomo, is this the gwirl you’re going to mawy?” Somi asked Tzuyu who was still holding Sana's photo.

Tzuyu didn’t reply; she simply smiled and stared at the photo.

“Is she gon kiss you goonight bwfore you sweep like Appa and Umma?” She asked again.

“Yah! Chou Somi!” Chaeyoung squealed at her daughter’s words.

“Seems like we need to be careful about what we say now.” Tzuyu teased, tickling Somi.

“I think it’s time for you sleep Somi-yah.” Mina said, picking her up.

“Okay Appa. Good night Gomo.” Somi said, yawning and landing a sloppy kiss on Tzuyu’s cheek.

“Someone’s been very cheeky lately.” Mina scolded as they headed out of the room.

 


A/N: first chapter is officially up!

next chapter will be focussing on Sana xD

hope you like the start :D