The Secret

Can Love Be Arranged?

The drive to the market was quieter than earlier but there was no awkward tension in the air; it was comfortable. Sana seemed to be trying her hardest not to fall asleep, head knocking against the window a few times. She snapped out of it, drawing a big yawn and stretching to get rid of her sleepiness.

“Do you mind if I turn on the radio?” Tzuyu asked.

“Hmm? Sure.” Sana smiled, pulling down her window and sticking her hand out.

Tzuyu smiled at Sana’s actions, observing as she stuck her head out of the window. The chaotic wind was making her look like the most picturesque view Tzuyu had ever seen in her life. Her eyes were closed as her hair continuously whipped around, a hint of a smile on her face; Tzuyu couldn’t help but stare. She put her attention back on the road, humming low to the song playing on the radio. The silence between them was nice. Honey by JYP started playing and Tzuyu immediately reached out for the volume button to increase it the same time Sana was.

After all the times they’d already held hands, it still felt like electricity was running through her body when they come into contact. Sana and Tzuyu blushed, retracting their hands and forgetting to increase the volume of the song they were listening to. Tzuyu continued staring straight ahead while Sana found something that looked fascinating out her window. There wasn’t a lot of time left until they reached the markets anyway.

By the time they got there, Sana and Tzuyu were once again left by themselves. Mina seemed to have bolted as soon as they parked the car since there was no sign of them anywhere. Tzuyu shook her head and laughed, unsure of what to make of the situation. The two decided to walk around by themselves.

Tzuyu had a liking for antique things so a stall with such items garnered her attention. Sana watched, smiling as Tzuyu looked at the items with much concentration. It was something she’d never expected Tzuyu to be interested in. When you see her from far, she looks like someone who’s cold and distant but the past day has proven anything but.

It’s hard to describe her with words that would justify her feelings. She was like the light in her life that she’d never thought she’d find. Like as if meeting her has made Sana open up in a way she didn’t think was possible. She’d been quiet all her life, keeping to herself and been shy. Talking to Tzuyu seemed so easy; it was as if the words just spilled out of her. Something about her was just so comforting.

Tzuyu turned around to look for Sana as she was looking at the antique items. There was a certain item that had caught her attention and she’d found it absolutely beautiful. She wanted to get it for her the moment she saw it. Since Sana was currently facing the other way, Tzuyu quickly bought the item, pocketing it and walking towards Sana. She seemed to be staring intently at a series of books at another stall. She felt something wet on her face; she wiped it away and looked up, realising it had become rather overcast. It could start raining anytime.

“Sana, we should look for shelter.” Tzuyu suggested as she reached Sana.

Sana blushed but nodded; it had already started sprinkling.

“Come on!” Tzuyu shouted, taking Sana’s hand in hers and jogging to reach a covered shelter. She shivered a little as they reached there, casting a glance at Sana who seemed to be flustered. Her breathing seemed a little erratic.

“Sana? Are you okay?” Tzuyu asked concernedly.

“I-I’m o-okay.” Sana stuttered.

“No you’re not.” Tzuyu stated, pulling Sana closer to her.

A thunder bolt lit up the sky, the noise following moments later, making Sana flinch.

“Are you – are you scared of thunder?” Tzuyu whispered.

Sana nodded slightly, teeth chattering. Tzuyu brushed the hair out of Sana’s face that had clung due to the rain. She rubbed the slight tear tracks that were visible in the darkness and cradled her cheeks. Sana basked in the comfort and warmth of Tzuyu’s hands; she felt safe. Tzuyu held Sana in an embrace, her head tucked under her own chin. She rubbed soothing circles on Sana’s back, hoping that it will provide something to stop Sana’s whimpering. She unconsciously left a lingering kiss on Sana’s forehead, realising moments later and blushing.

“Everything will be okay. I promise. I won’t let anything happen to you.” Tzuyu said confidently.

Sana only snuggled deeper into Tzuyu’s embrace. The terrors of the night her parents died still haunted her to the bones. It took her years to overcome her fear of driving just so that she could go to her work. She has never had to drive in the rain in her entire life and she’s grateful for that. The rain and thunderstorms were a reminder of that night – the day she relives over and over again and can never forget; as if it’s etched into her memory. Sana shut her eyes tightly as a flash of another thunder bolt lit up the night sky.

“Sana, love, why are you scared of the thunder? Do you want to talk about it?” Tzuyu asked, gently cradling Sana’s face

Sana blushed slightly and drew a shaky breath before she started explaining everything. “Well, you know that Nichkhun isn’t my Dad right? – When I was younger, my parents and I – we were travelling to a relative’s house and it was raining really heavily, like today. We were having a conversation about something I can’t remember very well but I do remember it was something I wanted. Dad turned around to say something and in that time – I – in that time, a drunk driver was already heading towards our car. My Mum shielded me with her body as the impact occurred. They both passed away because of me and – it was all my fault.” Sana sobbed.

Tzuyu’s heart broke at the sight in front of her. How could Sana blame herself from what she just heard? She wiped away Sana’s tears, waiting for her cries to turn into sniffles before she continued. “Sana. From what you’ve told me, it’s not your fault. The guilt that’s eating at you, change that. Think of what they would want you to be. I might not have known them but do you think they would be happy knowing that you’re blaming yourself? They would be proud of the girl you are today because you’ve stayed strong all this time. Don’t you think they’ll be heartbroken seeing you like this, wishing you were never in this place? Hmm?”

Sana nodded, a small smile evident despite the darkness surrounding them.

“Maybe I can help change this weather into a happy memory.” Tzuyu suggested, making Sana confused.

“What do you mean?” Sana mumbled as she sniffled.

Tzuyu fished what she bought out earlier out of her pocket. As Sana continued to look at Tzuyu with confusion, Tzuyu slipped the present onto Sana’s wrist and her own one.

“These – why do they look like handcuffs?” Sana asked, placing her wrist in the light.

“Because they are.” Tzuyu replied, chuckling at Sana’s reaction.

“If I get the handcuffs, then what do you have?” Sana asked, curious.

“I have the key.” Tzuyu answered, sticking out her tongue.

“What is that meant to mean?” Sana questioned, narrowing her eyes.

“Uh – it was meant to be c-cute.”  Tzuyu stuttered.

“Cute?” Sana asked.

“Yeah… like I was the key to your – ah screw it. It was a bad idea.” Tzuyu whined, reaching over to take it off Sana.

“I never said I didn’t like it.” Sana teased, making Tzuyu groan.

Sana leaned up and kissed Tzuyu’s cheek, lingering for a few moments longer than necessary.

“What was that for?” Tzuyu asked, confused yet blushing.

“Thank you. For everything.” Sana said sincerely.

“I-it’s fine.” Tzuyu stuttered, blushing.

The rain and thunder seemed to die down slightly and turned into a light drizzle. Tzuyu’s phone buzzed in her pocket and she regretfully separated from Sana’s warmth to answer the call.

“Tzuyu? Are you guys okay?” Mina shouted over the phone.

“Yikes Unnie, why are you shouting! We’re okay.” Tzuyu replied, slightly annoyed.

“Where are you guys?” Mina asked.

“We’re under a shelter where the stalls were set up.” Tzuyu answered, turning to look at Sana who took a few steps and was facing the other way.

“Can you guys get back to the car?” Mina questioned.

“No – I don’t think we can get back there yet. We don’t have an umbrella and we’re already soaked.” Tzuyu replied, taking a few steps forward and slipping her hand through Sana’s.

“Ah, . Chae and I will come pick you guys up. Don’t go anywhere else.” Mina said, hanging up the phone.

“You know; I think there’s magic in your hands. Something about it just makes me want to hold it all the time.” Tzuyu chuckled, making Sana blush.

Tzuyu used their intertwined hands to pull Sana closer to her.

“I’m really glad I agreed to this.” Tzuyu whispered, gazing into Sana’s eyes.

“I am too.” Sana replied, closing her eyes as Tzuyu placed her lips on her forehead once again.

They heard footsteps and hushed voices so they quickly broke apart, trying to look as natural as the can be.

“Tzuyu? Sana?” They heard Mina call out.

“We’re here.” Tzuyu answered.

“Come on, let’s go. Here’s your umbrella. Are you two okay?” Chaeyoung asked as she handed them a large umbrella.

“We’re fine Cheohyeong.” Tzuyu simply replied, taking the umbrella and opening it.

Tzuyu held the umbrella herself; her height benefiting the two of them and shielding them from the drizzle. They occasionally threw shy glances at each other, hands linked together secretly. The trip to their cars felt shorter than normal and Tzuyu and Sana found themselves wishing they had more time.

“Sorry Tzuyu. Momo and Somi fell asleep in the car so will it be okay for you to drive with Sana?” Chaeyoung asked.

“It’s fine Cheohyeong.” Tzuyu nodded, heading back to their car and getting ready to leave.

Tzuyu pulled a blanket from the boot of the car, leaving it in the middle in case Sana wanted it. She blasted the heater in the car, hoping it would provide some warmth and dry their soaked clothes in the slightest way. She reversed out of the lot and drove away.

About fifteen minutes in, Sana fell asleep. Her head was lolling from one side to the other, mouth hanging open. Parked at a red light, Tzuyu quickly placed the blanket over Sana, who immediately snuggled in. She chuckled at the sight and drove carefully home.

Sana was still asleep when they had reached the home. Trying not to wake her, Tzuyu slowly carried her into one of the vacant rooms, laying her down on the bed.

“Thank you Chewy.” Sana mumbled, making Tzuyu smile. She kissed Sana’s head before she walked out of the room. Sana needed to get her clothes changed so Tzuyu called in Momo, who had woken up after her sleep in Mina’s car.

“Hyeongbu, thank you for taking care of her. Especially tonight.” Momo said sincerely.

“Always.” Tzuyu stated, leaving to get changed as well.


A/N: I'm sorry if there were mistakes in this chapter. It's not proofread yet.

I finished this chap with my eyes closing which is why I wouldn't be surprised if there are typos hehe

Anyway, happy early birthday to our fake maknae, Im Nayeon.

She turns 21/22 tomorrow yet never seems like she's the eldest...

Any of you participating in the #HappyNayeonDay event?

Just post up a baby picture of yourself with that hashtag!

Hope you liked the update xD

-  stupid author