The Goodbye

Can Love Be Arranged?

Dinner was a quiet feast between the families with simple conversations flowing through. Tzuyu and Sana had both been quieter than usual ever since they had come home, not sure on what to say that lay unsaid at the tip of their tongues. Sana shifted in her seat, making her neck scarf drop down. Tzuyu looked up in that instant, biting back a smile as she saw the necklace she had bought Sana grace her neck. One by one, each person headed off to sleep and Sana and Tzuyu were the only ones who still remained. The atmosphere between them was oddly comfortable yet still sullen. Momo dragged Mina out of the dining room, letting the two have some necessary time together.

“Are you sleepy?” Tzuyu asked.

“No, not at all. Are you?” Sana responded.

“Me neither.” Tzuyu said, creating an awkward atmosphere again.

They both chuckled at their own change of behaviour.

“We can’t let all the progress go down the drain now, can we?” Tzuyu teased. “Are you okay with spending some time outside?”

Sana nodded, grabbing a blanket from her bed and telling Momo that she’ll be outside. They sat down at the back porch this time, legs dangling over the deck. Sana had placed the blankets over both of their shoulders, making them huddle closer than expected. Tzuyu wasted no time in slipping her hands in Sana’s, holding on tight. Sana had debated on leaning her head on Tzuyu’s shoulder for a moment or two, doing so anyway and scooting impossibly closer to Tzuyu. Tzuyu leaned her head on Sana’s, both staring out into the distance.

“I see you wore the necklace.” Tzuyu teased, breaking their silence.

“Huh? Oh.” Sana mumbled, blushing and playing with their fingers.

“Thank you for the past two days. It’s been the most amazing time of my life. I don’t even want to leave. This all feels so surreal to me; especially you.” Tzuyu mumbled, rubbing her thumb across Sana’s hands.

“You feel like it’s surreal? Why?” Sana asked, moving her head to look at Tzuyu.

“It feels like a dream that I’ve found an amazing person like you.” Tzuyu answered, blushing and making Sana blush too.

“Are you always this cheesy?” Sana teased.

“N-no. I’m just expressing my true thoughts.” Tzuyu pouted.

“Well, if we’re doing this expressing true thoughts thing, I guess I should say things too? Why don’t we say a thing each? I’ll continue... Honestly, I’ve always been quiet and shy but for some reason, it’s so easy for me to talk to you and share things with you.” Sana admitted.

“You’ve made me more talkative and open.” Tzuyu added.

“I like it when you hold my hand.” Sana smiled.

“I’ve never held someone’s hand as much as I’ve wanted to hold yours.” Tzuyu said, looking down at their intertwined hands.

“Whenever you hold my hand, I feel safe and protected.” Sana continued.

“I was jealous earlier at the game.” Tzuyu said.

“Hmm? Jealous about what?” Sana asked.

“I don’t want to say it.” Tzuyu blushed, looking away.

“I’ll tell you if you tell me.” Sana reasoned.

“You were jealous too?” Tzuyu asked, shocked.

“Um… maybe?” Sana giggled.

“Well… iwasjealousofyuta.” Tzuyu said quickly.

“Of who?” Sana asked again.

“Okay, fine. I was jealous of Yuta.” Tzuyu pouted.

“Yuta – n-no w-way!” Sana laughed uncontrollably.

“Ya! Stop laughing at me!” Tzuyu whined.

“B-but. You were jealous of Yuta?!” Sana said again, tears forming in her eyes from laughing. Tzuyu had to bite the inside of her cheeks to stop herself from smiling.

“What about you?” Tzuyu asked, curious.

“Uh… never mind about that.” Sana replied, no longer laughing.

“If I spilled, then so should you.” Tzuyu scoffed.

“Mine is worse than yours.” Sana whined.

“It can’t be worse than mine.” Tzuyu shook her head.

“I promise you it is.” Sana said.

“The quicker you say it, the quicker it’ll pass by.” Tzuyu reasoned.

“I… I might have been jealous of the ice cream vendor.” Sana whispered.

“Who?” Tzuyu teased.

“You heard it the first time!” Sana exclaimed.

“I didn’t. You said it too low.” Tzuyu pointed out.

“The ice cream vendor. I was jealous of the ice cream vendor.” Sana seethed.

“Huh? How come? I wasn’t even doing anything.” Tzuyu thought.

“You weren’t doing anything but she was.” Sana muttered.

“She was?” Tzuyu asked.

“Well you’re so oblivious, it’s not surprising.” Sana teased, sticking out her tongue.

“And you’re clumsy.” Tzuyu retorted.

“Psht. Good try.” Sana replied, seeing the playful glint in Tzuyu’s eyes before she was left in a series of giggles.

They separated after what seemed like a long time of continuous tickling, allowing themselves to take a breather and calm themselves down. Sana had found herself in Tzuyu’s embrace, her hands lingering around Sana’s waist. Both were still breathing heavily from earlier and their heartbeats were becoming synced. Sana played with Tzuyu’s fingers that were around her waist, comparing their rings and drawing circles with her fingers. She couldn’t hold herself back and Tzuyu was in a blissful mood.

“I think I liked you from the moment I saw you.” Tzuyu said.

“From the balcony?” Sana said unconsciously.

“So you were peeking from the balcony!” Tzuyu teased.

“I-It’s not like I said I didn’t.” Sana defended, blushing again.

“It was actually the photo I saw of you.” Tzuyu said, making Sana chuckle.

“Funny, that’s the same with me.” Sana whispered.

“As soon as I took the photo of you out, I found something about you that immediately drew me in but I had no idea what it was.” Tzuyu explained.

“Do you know what it is now?” Sana asked.

“I think it’s your squirrel cheeks.” Tzuyu teased, earning a pinch on her ribs.

“My squirrel cheeks?” Sana threatened.

“N-no. It was your eyes.” Said Tzuyu, pulling Sana’s chin up to gaze at them again and surprising her at the contact.

“My eyes?” Sana whispered, heart hammering in her chest from their close proximity.

“They have a softness about them yet also have an alluring element. Then there are also times where it has a gleam of deviltry. Though it’s not only your eyes.” Tzuyu explained, leaning closer.

“What else then?” Sana asked, gazing into Tzuyu’s chocolate eyes.

“There’s something about your lips as well.” Tzuyu suggested, her gaze falling there as soon as she mentioned it.

“Oh really?” Sana said as Tzuyu cradled her cheeks.

“They’re full and really pink and they’ve got an element to them that makes it look really pillowy.” Tzuyu whispered, swiping her thumb across Sana’s bottom lip, sending shivers down her spine. “Can I kiss you?” Tzuyu pleaded and Sana couldn’t even say no.

Tzuyu closed the gap between them, pressing her lips to Sana’s in a sweet kiss. There were no fireworks or explosions in Sana’s mind as it happened. It simply stole her breath away. Tzuyu could only think about how soft Sana’s lips were. Everything seemed to be spinning in her mind yet the one thing that was remotely close to anchoring her down was the fact that Sana had her hand s around Tzuyu’s neck. She pulled away from the kiss, letting her forehead rest on Sana’s as they both tried to maintain their breathing.

“I really like you. I really, really like you.” Tzuyu whispered huskily.

“I-I really like you too.” Sana replied, closing her eyes as Tzuyu left a lingering kiss on her forehead again.

Tzuyu brought Sana into her arms again, embracing her as she let Sana rest her head under her own chin. Their hands were still intertwined, Tzuyu still rubbing her thumbs across Sana’s hand. She brought it to her own lips, kissing it softly. She didn’t want to let go of their current embrace.

“Will things change? I mean, between us?” Sana dared to whisper.

“I hope it doesn’t. I hope nothing changes between us because what we have right now… it’s special.” Tzuyu responded, pressing a kiss to Sana’s head.

“I don’t want you to go.” Sana whimpered.

“I don’t want to leave either. I promise I’ll be there when you need me. I’ll be there whenever you want me to be. You’re my whole world now.” Tzuyu replied.

Sana turned around and buried herself deeper into Tzuyu’s arms. Tzuyu simply held tight and refused to let go. Everything around them seemed to be frozen and at a standstill when they were together. How she wished that was true. That she could spend all the time in the world with the girl she had in her arms, loving her, cherishing her, making her happy. Tzuyu suddenly found herself wishing the wedding wasn’t so far away. She wanted to whisk Sana away and spend all the time she could with her already.

When Sana’s breathing turned shallow, Tzuyu knew that she had fallen asleep. She picked Sana up, carrying her slowly to her bed and tucking her in. Sana had a firm grip on Tzuyu’s arm though and wouldn’t let go. Tzuyu sighed heavily at her fortune, sitting next to Sana’s bed in hopes that she would let go eventually.

It took an hour of waiting to finally get her hand out of Sana’s grip. Tzuyu chuckled lowly, not wanting to wake anyone up. She kissed Sana’s head one last time before she snuck in her own bed, falling asleep with a smile on her face.

Sana woke up early the next morning with no one else yet awake. She wanted to pack something special for Tzuyu to take on their trip home since all Tzuyu’s done is shower her with gifts. It’s the least she could to in return.

Tzuyu’s husky voice almost scared Sana in the kitchen once again.

“You’re awake already?” Tzuyu asked, yawning and stretching a little bit.

“Needed to get some things ready for your trip.” Sana mumbled.

“My trip? You know you don’t have to do anything.” Tzuyu suggested.

“I do know that. But I just wanted to make something for you.” Sana replied, blushing.

Tzuyu walked towards Sana, placing her lips right near her ear. “Can I put my head on your shoulder while you cook?”

Sana shivered at Tzuyu’s words. Her husky voice wasn’t helping her in the slightest. She elbowed Tzuyu lightly, making her wince.

“Go away and let me cook.” Sana scolded.

“Okay, okay. I won’t disturb you this time.” Tzuyu chuckled, sitting up on a stool and staring as Sana worked in the kitchen.

“Do you have to keep looking?” Sana pouted.

“Yep. I need to look at you as much as I can.” Tzuyu winked.

“Ya! Stop flirting in the morning.” Chaeyoung mumbled as she walked in on them, making the two blush.

“W-we weren’t.” Tzuyu stuttered, walking away and packing her bag.

Chaeyoung remained in the kitchen, waiting for Tzuyu to be out of earshot. “Sana, thank you for whatever you’ve done.”

“What do you mean?” Sana asked.

“Tzuyu’s never been this happy in her life, from what I’ve seen and heard. You’ve made her smile again. Thank you.” Chaeyoung said sincerely.

“She’s done the same to me actually.” Sana replied as Tzuyu came back into the kitchen.

Everyone had a quick breakfast, packing up their things and loading them in their cars. Sana was trying her best to hold in her emotions and she would say that she was faring well. She was standing in the kitchen when Somi pulled on her hand.

“Sookmo, Sookbu wants a gwass of juze.” Somi squealed, running away. Tzuyu wanted a glass of juice? She could come and get it herself couldn’t she? Sana shook her head and grabbed a Coke out of the fridge, pouring it out in a glass and taking it to Tzuyu, who was currently in her parent’s room.

“You couldn’t get it yourself? Sana mocked as she handed it to Tzuyu.

“But then I wouldn’t get to talk to you alone before I left.” Tzuyu responded, making Sana flustered.

Tzuyu took a few sips of the drink before she started speaking.

“Remember how yesterday I said that I really like you? I realised I was wrong.” Tzuyu started, putting the glass down to cradle Sana’s cheeks. “I love you Sana. I know it’s probably rushed but–” Sana stopped Tzuyu’s words and pressed her own lips to Tzuyu’s.

“I love you too.” Sana whispered, getting slightly teary.

Tzuyu swiped away Sana’s tears with the pad of her thumb.

“We’ll talk every single day. Count on it.” Said Tzuyu, earning a nod from Sana.

“I’ll miss you.” Sana whimpered as Tzuyu engulfed her in a hug.

“You don’t know how much I’ll miss you.” Tzuyu mumbled.

“TZUYU! WE’RE GOING!” Mina shouted.

Tzuyu broke apart from the hug, giving Sana a teary smile and a lingering forehead kiss. “Take care of yourself.”

“You too.” Sana replied, wiping away Tzuyu’s tears and leaving a kiss on her cheek. “Now go!”

They both laughed and Tzuyu waved one last time before she jogged to the car. She met Sana’s parents and seated herself in the car, letting herself fall asleep to a dream in which she could already call Sana her own.


A/N: I might've been slightly teary writing this? Maybe?

This is my longest chapter by far :O

I hope you liked it!

I apologise for any typos or mistakes ~

- stupid author