// torture

My Best Friend's Friends

smack

Another ball had "accidentally" hit Joo Eun on the head. This was not the first time today and definitely not the first time this week. It has only been a week since Joo Eun transfered and things were already going downhill. All she wanted was a quiet and simple school life. That diploma was all she wanted, but things have gotten a bit out of hand. During physical education, balls were randomly being thrown at her. During lunch, people would "accidentally" spill food on her. During class, she would find pages of her textbook ripped out. One time, she even found her gym uniform stained with juice and was scolded by the teacher for being unprepared. She couldn't even walk in the hallways peacefully without being tripped. She knew what was going on.

Joo Eun rubbed her head as she sat on the sidelines. Her head was getting dizzy from the scorching heat and all the balls that keep flying her way. Just as she was about to lie down, a refreshing cold bottle of water hits her face.

"Drink up." 

Joo Eun turns around to find an astonishing handsome face.

"Oh, thanks Jae Hyun-sshi," Joo Eun says quietly as she takes the bottle.

"Just speak comfortably, call me Jaehyun," Jaehyun replied as he takes the seat next to her.

"O-oh, ok.. Jaehyun." Joo Eun whispers.

Jaehyun throws his towel around his neck and snaps open his bottle of cold water. Joo Eun watches him as he takes a long sip of the refreshing beverage. She opens her own beverage while scooting over to the side. Jae Hyun looks at her in confusion before moving closer to her. Joo Eun keeps moving to the side while Jae Hyun keeps following her until there is no more room left to move.

"What are you doing?" Jaehyun places his face right in front of hers.

"Huh? Nothing, nothing at all," Joo Eun turns away to avoid the awkwardness.

"Does your head hurt?" Jaehyun asks as he reaches for the top of her head.

Before Jaehyun could touch her, Joo Eun stops him with her hand. She looks around making sure nobody was looking at them before she looks back at Jaehyun.

"Um... I have to go now, thanks for the water," Joo Eun gives a small smile before returning back to the field.

Jaehyun stares at her with a worried face as Joo Eun runs away. He knew what was going on and all he wanted to do was comfort her. He didn't know why. Maybe it was because she was his friend's best friend... or maybe it was something else. He shook the thought out of his head.

**********

ding ding ding

The bell rang signalling the time for lunch. Without a sound, Joo Eun rushes out the door before Youngdoo can even say a word. This has been going on for the past week and Youngdoo has barely been able to see Joo Eun's face. The only time he ate lunch with her was on the first day of school, but that was too long ago.

"She's not coming again?" Jaehyun asked.

"Guess not," Youngdoo shrugged worried.

"I'll go look for her," Jaehyun replied and ran out the door before anyone could say anything else.

Doha looked at him with a raised eyebrow. A smirk slowly rose upon his face.

"Let's go," Youngdoo said as he walked out the door.

"This is going to be interesting," Doha whispered to himself.

Jaehyun ran up and down each hallway looking for Joo Eun before finding her sitting alone at the top of the roof. Jaehyun sighed in relief as he slowly walked towards her.

"What are you doing here alone?" Jaehyun approached her.

Joo Eun turned around in shock when she heard his voice.

"Jaehyun... what are you doing here?" Joo Eun asked.

"Looking for you," Jaehyun chuckled. "Do you enjoy eating lunch by yourself that much?"

"I'm not eating by myself," Joo Eun replied blinking her eyes blankly. "My friend Seulgi is eating with me."

Jaehyun looked at the empty seat next to Joo Eun's and laughed. "You're kinda cute," Jaehyun said as he patted her head.

"I'm not lying though," Joo Eun pouted. "She just went to the bathroom for a second... look! There she is."

Jaehyun turned around and found a girl covering in shock at the entrance of the rooftop. The girl ran over to Joo Eun's side and stared at Jaehyun admiringly.

"Hello, my name is Seulgi, I'm Joo Eun's friend," Seulgi held out her hand as she smiled adoring the guy in front of her.

"Hello, I'm Jaehyun," Jaehyun smiled as he shook it.

Seulgi held her hand after it was returned to her in happiness as she held it close to her face paying no attention to the two people in front of her. Joo Eun laughed at the sight of her friend.

"Why don't you eat with us at the cafeteria?" Jaehyun asked as he took a seat next to Joo Eun.

"I prefer it more up here... where there's nobody," Seulgi whispered that last line, but Jaehyun had heard it.

"Ah... it must be those fangirls right?" Jaehyun asked. "Are they bothering you? I could tell them to stop."

"No! Don't do anything, please," Joo Eun begged. "If you want to help, please don't talk to me or pretend you know me."

Jaehyun felt like he had been pierced with an arrow through his heart. He wasn't expecting those words from her and he didn't know it could actually hurt him that much. After all, she was just his friend's friend.

"Alright," Jaehyun agreed after a while of thinking. "Then at least let me come eat lunch with you up here."

Joo Eun looked at him surprised. "Really? I wouldn't mind since there's nobody up here, but wouldn't you want to eat with Youngdoo and them?"

"I find it more relaxing up here, also I want to get to know you a little better," Jaehyun smiled. "Is that okay with you too, Seulgi?"

"Okay? OKAY? I would LOVE it!" Seulgi screamed in excitement.

Jaehyun chuckled as he took a bite out of Joo Eun's food.

"Hey, that's mine," Joo Eun frowned as Jaehyun stuck his tongue out at her.

"This is getting more interesting..." Doha said as he watched the three from the sidelines.