You, Him, Him, Her

Just Like Now

§§§§§

Namjoo was just laughing at another one of Taihee’s stories when the door suddenly opened and in walked Sehun. His eyes first landed on her then the visitor.

“You’re back?” Namjoo greeted cheerfully.

“Hey, man!” Taihee shouted out a happy greeting. “I was just stopping by and thought I’d catch you on my way. What took you so long?”

“What are you doing here?” Sehun asked slowly stepping in, but left the door open.

Standing up Taihee explained, “I was in the neighborhood and thought I’d come by to visit.”

“You still have exams tomorrow, don’t you?” Sehun asked.

“Awww…come on, don’t talk about that. That stresses me out,” Taihee said with a note of playfulness.

“Lets talk next time, I have to get studying too,” Sehun cut their conversation short.

Namjoo watched innocently, wondering why Sehun was all so suddenly stiff with this friend of his.

“All right then,” Taihee gave up then turned to her with a grin, “next time then, Namjoo. See you.”

Namjoo waved to him and watched him walk out feeling quite happy herself. Sehun pushed the door close before turning to look at her, “What are you doing, just letting anyone walk in when you’re the only one home?”

“What’s with you?” Namjoo wondered with a confused smile.

“Shouldn’t you be more careful? You don’t even know him,” Sehun scolded.

Now frowning, the smile gone, Namjoo asked, “I was careful and your point is?”

“He could have done something to you. Shouldn’t you already know this?”

“What the hell,” Namjoo muttered then asked louder, “he’s your friend. Why would you say that about him?”

“He’s still a guy,” Sehun pointed out with a breath of frustration.

“Why are you angry?” Namjoo asked. “Nothing happened. We were just talking. I was getting to know him. He’s quite a cool guy, you know.”

Sehun shot her what she thought was a nasty frown. “Once you start college you’ll probably be saying that about every guy you meet.”

“Yea, I bet I will,” she sarcastically agreed suddenly nerved by him.

“What did he say to you? Tell you you’re cute? You give him your number?”

“He said I’m cute and loveable, why?” Namjoo said to spite him. Actually, Taihee hadn’t gone on to make any comment about her at all.

Sehun just stared at her before he turned to head up the stairs. “Don’t bother me. I’m going to study.”

“Don’t you want to eat something first?” Namjoo called out after him. She listened to the door close and frowned, bewildered and confused. Not once had Sehun returned home moody or irritable nor had he intentionally started an argument with her. Out of the blue, he was upset. Why? Maybe he had a fight with Seona? Namjoo shook her head at that thought. If he got mad at Seona that would just mean their relationship was on a deeper level than she thought and obviously, it couldn’t be that.

“Whatever,” Namjoo gently slapped her cheeks. Whistling to herself she turned around to wash dishes.

§§§§§

Tossing backpack onto the ground Sehun flopped onto his bed and stared up at the ceiling.

Class President Lee Chul had a thing for Namjoo…

“Yes, our Namjoo,” Chul shyly nodded.

Sehun merely stared, unable to react. The friend was obviously in over his head, just sitting there looking all so giddily happy, looking as if not a negative thing could affect him.

Eyes shining Chul looked at him, “Since we’re all adults now, I thought I’d try to pursue her. I’ve actually liked Namjoo for a while now. You know her well, so do you think she will feel the same way about me?”

“You like…Namjoo?”

Bashfully smiling like a child in love, he nodded.

Then he had said Namjoo was pretty.

A part of him rejected Chul’s feelings. Namjoo wouldn’t like him. He wasn’t her type, but then since when had he known what Namjoo’s type was?

This was weird. Sehun just didn’t like it. Anyone else but Chul and Taihee was ok, but it wasn’t his jurisdiction to make a decision for Namjoo. He could already see it. Namjoo jumping in glee that two men liked her. It irked him.

Damn Taihee as well, for having the guts to just come over as if he’d been invited, and stupid Namjoo for even letting that fool in.

Frustrated for apparently no plausible reason Sehun ruffled his hair. He knew he had no reason to into Namjoo’s business or how she handled her affairs. Lee Chul was a decent man. He already had a career set out for him and he was making good money. Namjoo had all rights and she should jump aboard his ship. Her parents would fall in love with him immediately, because he was just that good of a man.

Maybe she would fall for him.

Heaving a troubled sigh he wondered, “What’s so good about her anyway?”

§§§§§

Namjoo was still alone when he went downstairs, just lounging in the living room with popcorn tucked tight against her stomach and soda right next to her. She appeared perfectly cozy.

Throwing her soda aside he sat down with her then snatched the popcorn from her. “All that butter is bad for you.”

“Where did you come from?” Namjoo asked. “I thought you were finishing the rest of your fit upstairs.”

Sehun remained silent, popped a few pieces of popcorn into his mouth, and reached over for her soda. After pouring some into his mouth he uttered, “Sorry.”

Leaning over to look into his face teasingly Namjoo asked, “Excuse me? What was that?”

Eyes still strictly on the screen he said in a lower tone, “Sorry.”

“What?” Namjoo teasingly asked again with a smitten smile.

Looking at her he asked, “Are you really going to do this?”

Smugly smiling Namjoo leaned back, “Maybe I will.”

He gently shoved her head aside with his knuckles. Bouncing back Namjoo playfully nudged him.

“I was actually kind of scared when your friend showed up on my doorstep,” Namjoo admitted, “but he said he knows where I live because of you. Maybe you should be more careful about it in the future. I’m just lucky he turned out nice.”

“He likes you. That’s why he stopped by,” Sehun monotonously told.

“Me?” Namjoo sounded surprised. “Really?” She let out a happy laugh, “Maybe I should have given him my number.”

“You haven’t given it to him?” Sehun asked surprised.

“No, why?” Namjoo looked at him. “Should he have asked me?”

“No,” he turned away. “Never mind.”

Namjoo quieted then burst out with a gleeful giggle. Sehun turned to her slightly annoyed, again, for apparently no reason.

“What?” he said irritably. “You like it that much that someone finally likes you?”

“Why not?” Namjoo innocently asked.

“If your mom was home you’d have a hammer to your head right now.”

“What’s with your attitude? You should be happy for me,” Namjoo gently slapped his shoulder. “You’re no fun.”

“Hey, watch your mouth. I’m better than any of those guys,” Sehun spoke matter-of-factly, and he sort of believed it was true. He was, besides her father, the most decent man in her life. Namjoo could trust him with anything and he knew her inside out.

Namjoo only scoffed at him. She wasn’t taking him seriously. Before they could talk any further the door burst open and her mother walked in with bags dangling off her arms. Shooting up from his side Namjoo walked away from him loudly exclaiming, “Mom! Where’ve you been?!”

As they proceeded on to talk about something else, Sehun zoned out and stared at the television screen. A slap from his conscience shattered his wall of concentration and he was wheeled back to being bothered again by absolutely nothing. The voice in his head echoed, “You should have told her.” About what? Oh right, that Lee Chul wanted to get with her.

With undue intention, he turned to see Namjoo eating something her mother had brought back for her. It wasn’t that Namjoo wasn’t ladylike. She was a woman after all. There were times he noticed her feminine side. Sometimes she even took to wearing makeup, even took special care of her skin and plucked hair in unwanted places away. He didn’t make comments about noticing the small things because he knew it embarrassed her, so he never complimented her about her appearance. But he did notice every little thing.

Lean, tall, masculine Lee Chul was like a knight in shining armor in her very dull life. Sehun was 1000% sure Namjoo would date him. When that happened, would what that make him?

He mentally slapped himself again. He had to tell her and he would do it, but not now. It just wasn’t the right time.

§§§§§

In the blink of an eye summer had settled in. Sehun had taken off from classes for the warm season, but instead of staying up with her in Seoul he had gone down to Daegu to spend the summer vacation with his parents. It all but left Namjoo miserably bored. All by herself at home with nothing to do, but she was glad for one thing, and it was that Sehun wouldn’t be around Seona.

College orientation had gone well. Namjoo had received her student ID and had completed signing up for classes. Yunyeong had gone with her around campus to see where her classes were located. All was set. In just a few weeks she’d finally be an official college student.

Right afterward, after some persuasion from Yunyeong Namjoo followed her to the mall. A seasonal sale was in motion and Namjoo had managed to snatch some good deals. Exhausted for the day she thought about just heading home and jumping into bed for a long four-hour nap. That was the plan until they bumped into Taihee and Sungwoo.

“Namjoo!” Taihee called out, waving to her from the corner of a fashion store. Waiting for a crowd to pass through Namjoo walked toward them.

“Hi!” she greeted then introduced Yunyeong to them.

“Where are you two going next?” Taihee wondered.

“We were planning to head home,” Namjoo said.

“Oh really?” he asked. “We were just about to have lunch, why don’t you join us?”

“Oh no…” she began but Yunyeong cut her off excitedly. Yanking her back by the arm Yunyeong lied, “We were about to head down for lunch, too.”

“Great!” Taihee exclaimed with a grin. Jutting a thumb toward Sungwoo he claimed, “Sungwoo’s loaded today, so he can pay for all of us.”

“Seriously, man?” Sungwoo whispered. With a defeated sigh he said, “Lets go. I’m starving.”

 Leading her by the arm Yunyeong dragged her after them. Whispering into her ear the friend asked, “What are you doing? If some guy talks about lunch, he’s asking for a date.”

“What are you talking about?” Namjoo frowned at her friend. “It just means they’re bored and hungry.”

“You’ve been holed up in your cave too long you don’t know a thing about the world, do you?” Yunyeong teased, ruffling her hair.

“I’m not that naïve,” Namjoo narrowed her eyes and shoved her hand away.

“Mmhmm,” Yunyeung teased with a nod.

After buying their meals they all headed toward a four-cornered table together. Taihee first began by talking about a camping trip he’d taken with his friends up in the mountain and made them laugh with a story about flopping during a swimming competition. It turned out Sungwoo had started seeing someone from down south over the summer and was embroiled in an intense and passionate relationship. He promised to introduce her to them during their weekend trip out of town.

“That means you definitely have to come,” Sungwoo made her promise. “I’ll remind Sehun to bring you along with him.” Nudging Taihee he grinned, “We gotta hook Taihee, here, with someone too.”

Namjoo turned to Yunyeong with a distasteful frown when she giggled beside her. Looking at her innocently she asked with a shrug, “What?”

“So, how’s Sehun?” Taihee wondered placing attention on her.

“He went to Daegu to spend the summer with his parents,” she told.

“Really?” Sungwoo asked confused. “I thought he was coming back up today.”

“He’s not coming back until next week,” Namjoo stated knowingly and watched the two guys look at each other.

“Really, man, why are you making stuff up?” Taihee accused.

“No, it’s what I heard,” Sungwoo claimed.

“Who’d you hear that from?” Namjoo wondered, extremely curious. If Sehun was returning, he would tell her. Her house was his place to stay. Where else would he go if he came back up to Seoul? It didn’t make sense.

All at once she felt a flurry of excitement wash through her. Maybe Sehun had decided to return early because he wanted to surprise her and his and their friends.

“Did you know he was coming back?” Yunyeong questioned from beside her.

“No, I didn’t hear anything,” Namjoo shook her head, but her heart still fluttered at the thought that he had come back as a surprise for them.

“Are you sure you heard right?” Taihee wondered.

“I’m serious, man,” Sungwoo told with hands out as if to prove his own innocence. “I even heard it from Naeul. Dude, you were there, too.”

“I was?” Taihee asked confused.

Sungwoo hit him across the shoulder, “Pay more attention to the people around you, all right? Where’s your head been?”

Taihee made a face at his friend then turned to her. “So I guess Sehun is back. You didn’t know? I thought you two were close friends.”

“They are,” Yunyeong added. “They’re super close.”

“Where is he?” Namjoo asked.

Sungwoo shrugged, “I heard he’s here. That’s why we’re here today.”

“Here?” Namjoo repeated, her mind going blank. Turning around she glanced throughout the lounge for Sehun. Obviously he wasn’t anywhere in sight.

“Oh! I just got a text from him. He’s at the coffeeshop.” Sungwoo stared down at his phone.

Heart beating fast Namjoo shoved the rest of her unfinished lunch into the garbage can and followed the two guys down the bloated corridor. All that mattered in that instant was that Sehun had come back. It wasn’t important that he hadn’t let her know, that didn’t matter at all. She could see him again. They were going to live in the same house again.

She had missed him.

“If he’s coming back, why didn’t he tell you?” Yunyeong whispered to her from behind.

Namjoo didn’t reply. The answer wasn’t important. Not a tiny bit at all.

A smile scurried across her face subconsciously when they finally neared the coffeeshop. It was crowded inside and there was a long line in front of the counter. The buzz of machines erupted into the air simultaneously along with the shouts of names for orders. Namjoo’s eyes jotted across the large window in hopes of first catching a glimpse of Sehun, but she couldn’t see him. Too many people in the shop blocked her view of sight.

Then she finally caught sight of him. Her tall friend exiting the shop in his handsome wear. Her heart thumped. It thumped even harder when she realized he had changed his hairstyle and it made him look so good.

Raising her arm up she began calling out, as if she were the only important friend there, “Se…” but her voice quietly died when a woman hurried out after him armed with a smile that could blind any man.

Hwang Seona.

In the matter of a few seconds her heart plunged all the way to her feet as she watched the woman hand Sehun her drink for a taste. And he looked so blindingly happy before offering her a taste of his coffee as well.


***Just when everything feels like it's going well, it goes down the drain in a split second. Poor Namjoo

***Last update before I return to work tomorow for 7 days straight or should I say night -.- I'll return next week with new updates!