Maybe I Do...

Just Like Now

The words a blow to the head left Sehun dumbstruck. He just stared at her. Namjoo’s eyes never set on him. Again, he felt as if he didn’t exist to her.

That gaze of hers was aloof, far off into the distance.

“Go,” she said. “After a while, I’ll be fine. After a while, I’ll forget about you. I can live again when you’re not here. Just because we did something sinful doesn’t mean you have to stay with me. It’s no big deal. What are we, still in ancient times?” Namjoo cracked a laugh, but she was alone with it. “Go.”

He would. The physical version of him would have sprinted to his feet and run off. His subconscious refused.

“I’m not going,” Sehun said.

A soulfully sad smile broke onto Namjoo’s face when she lowered her head, eyes landing on the small puddle by her feet. “You’ve lost your chance to go back. If you marry me, I won’t let you go.”

From young, marriage taught to him was like a golden virtue. He had to put it on the throne, treat it like the highest god. He had to respect it if he were to commit himself. Marriage was a long-term fight not to be given up. It was like going into a ring and never forfeiting.

Sehun knew. There was nothing about marriage that was promising. The unforeseen future it held was a scary path to walk. He was still flawed at so many angles and in so many indescribable ways. No, he wasn’t perfect at all. Nothing was good about him, but marriage would be a reason to shapen up, become that kind of perfect. If he wasn’t happy he would think of it as a stepping stone for the better.

“I’ll take responsibility. I won’t marry you because I have to, but I want to,” Sehun told. “I want to do this with you. Happily, and with smiles, so don't let me go.”

Hand bristled through her hair as he brought her closer into his arms to intimately hug her. Yes, what was the big deal anyway? If he said something he would do it. Everything would be ok. He was just doing what he could to make everything right again. In order to, he had to be willing to.

Namjoo hesitated then grasped onto his back and held him.

This was right…this was all right.

§§§§§

Namjoo lay in bed with a happy heart. She believed Sehun. She could do nothing but believe him. He wanted to marry her…marry her. Bubbles continued rising within her chest before she burst into a giggle. She was happy. Sehun meant it. His body language had told her so, and it was because she knew him enough to read him.

He meant it.

One move from him had all the depression washed away. After brushing her teeth the next morning, she returned to her room to change. The unexpected knock at the door had her turning around. She quickly slipped into her t-shirt before hurrying to unlock it.

“You up?” it was Sehun.

“Oh…yea,” she answered somewhat befuddled. Namjoo stepped back when he opened the door and walked in, inviting himself over to her closet. Following him she asked, “What are you doing? Our parents will think weird if you’re in my room.”

“Oh, please,” he said. “Since when haven’t I been in your room?”

“Sehun!” she called. Tugging on his arm she somehow managed to pull him back, but not before he had something in his hand.

“Wear this,” he held the dress out. “We’re going out after breakfast.”

Once the hanger landed between the grasp of her hands Sehun turned to go. Only then did she realize that he was dressed fashionably for the day. Unable to breathe she glanced down at the dress, wondering what he had in store for them.

Their parents were busy bees at the table that morning, their mothers hurrying from counter and table to stove while their fathers busily set the table. The picture was confusing and made Namjoo wonder what the big deal was. Not until the table was set and a bowl of freshly boiled chicken with lots of broth pushed her way did she finally ask, “What’s going on?”

“You have to eat a lot of nutrients in order for the baby to grow well,” her mother explained. “We wanted you to have something healthy instead of your regular.”

Body flushing madly with embarrassment Namjoo called out, “Mom!” then she shot Sehun an embarrassed glance. He, too, looked embarrassed.

“What?” her mother asked completely clueless.

Namjoo almost opened to tell them she wasn’t pregnant, but Sehun stopped her. “Eat it,” he urged. “I’ll have some too.” She watched him dip his spoon into her bowl and sip on the broth. It felt almost weird with him like this, but it made her heart flutter.

They went out right after breakfast like Sehun promised. It wasn’t anywhere fancy and Namjoo wasn’t sure if it was a date. Sehun drove. They arrived at the opera house where he presented expensive tickets. Namjoo wasn’t sure how Sehun got a hold of the tickets, but with no question she followed him in. The musical lasted nearly two hours before they left both appalled and amazed by the performance.

“That was fun,” Namjoo commented on their way down the stairs. “I can drive back home.”

“Drive later,” he said. “We’re not going home yet.”

Pausing where she was she watched him head down the steps without realizing she’d stopped. Not going home yet… His words resonated clearly through her head. What else were they going to do?

Finally stopping Sehun turned around to look up at her. Though not overdone, she thought he was dressed very handsomely today. Something about the way he turned made her heart skip numerous beats. Oh Sehun was all she ever wished for.

“What are you doing?” he asked. “Come on, lets go.”

“Oh…” regaining herself she hurried after him. Her eyes enviously stole a glance at him when she finally reached his side again.

He was so perfect.

The rest of the day was well spent by visiting a botanical garden admiring the earth’s finest plants. Time spent calling out to each other to come see this or that plant and taking pictures of wild flowers. Right afterward they went off to an aquarium before debating for nearly 10 minutes over where to stop for their late lunch.

“Then what do you want?” he asked.

“Noodles.”

“Nah, I don’t feel like noodles,” Sehun shook his head. They were in traffic. That was what explained the 10 minutes it took to come to an agreement. “I want soup.”

“The soup restaurants are that way,” Namjoo jotted her finger behind them. “Don’t turn the car around. We’re just going to get stuck again.”

“Then what do they have up ahead?” Sehun asked.

“I don’t know,” Namjoo mumbled scrolling through her phone for options. “What about ribs?”

“Eh…I don’t know.”

“How come everything about you is ‘I don’t know’ today?” Namjoo complained. They turned to shoot each other frowns. Sehun first laughed instigating Namjoo to. The jolly atmosphere grew high. Returning attention to the phone at hand she continued searching for a restaurant menu that would catch her eye.

“It’s been a while,” Sehun broke the short silence.

Lifting her head up she glanced at him. “A while for what?”

“Since I’ve heard you laugh.”

Something tugged her heart flushing her with warmth and yet, guilt. She knew, too, she had been a miserable pit hole. Having avoided him, choosing her silence over all else, and deciding to protect her heart from shattering by cutting all ties with him.

The sight of Sehun’s eyes on the road, his sharp jawline, just everything about him was mesmerizing.

“Sorry,” she apologized. “I made it hard for you.”

Glancing at her through the corner of his eyes he broke into a smile. Reaching out he teasingly hit her head. “Whatever.”

Scoffing, Namjoo touched her head and smiled. It didn’t matter, because now was good. Now was all she needed to make up for everything. Now, she had Sehun. In this moment everything felt so right, almost as if they had gone directly to the past.

Deciding on lunch was a happy journey. They landed at a place with lots of meat, all she cared for. Eating together very simply like this was something she would always treasure. There was something special about sharing a meal with the most precious person in one’s heart. Not only was the food even more delicious, but the moment in which it was shared. 15,000 words wouldn’t be enough to describe the thousands of emotions passing through her body.

They slowly walked around the park sometimes in silence and sometimes chatting about summer plans, and on the way home, finally had the noodles she had been craving for. Since the market was nearby they also stopped there to purchase treats for their parents.

“I’ll drive,” Namjoo offered when they walked out with a bag each. She held her hand out for the metal to be dropped into her palm, but Sehun just walked past like he hadn’t heard. Chasing after him she called, “Sehun!” but he quickened his pace, running ahead of her. She called out again with a whine aware he was intentionally doing it, “Sehun!”

He was laughing by the time she caught up with him at the car. He’d already thrown his bag inside. Holding onto the car door he said, “Just get in.”

Panting a sigh Namjoo pulled open the door and got in. The drive back was peaceful. Namjoo had never been happier with Sehun beside her. She wanted so much to explode and could see a bunch of smiley creatures crawling out of her. When he turned into the driveway and shut the engine off Namjoo managed to steal her keys before stepping out. It was early evening, but she wasn’t yet prepared to turn in yet. Today’s date, she wanted to call it, had been more than perfect.

Without hesitating, without worrying she stepped toward Sehun. She wasn’t shy nor was she discouraged by anything. In soon time they were getting married, he would be her husband and she his wife.

Leaning up on her toes she gave him a quick peck. “Thanks for today. I had a lot of fun.” Quickly turning she walked into her home, loudly greeting their parents and showing what she’d bought for them.

§§§§§

Momentarily stupefied, Sehun remained glued in spot. A kiss had been least expected. Never would he have expected to end the night like this. There was no doubt he’d had a good day as well.

When he walked through the door Namjoo was in the living room showing off the pictures she’d taken at the botanical garden. She was, once more, completely unaware of him. All he could do in that moment was just silently watch the movement of her lips, the way she grinned, and how her eyes shone when their parents made comments. The dress he’d chosen for the day swayed prettily around her legs. She even moved prettily, he thought. Then his eyes roved up to the long locks slipping over her shoulder. Her hair always smelled good…she smelled good.

Sehun gulped. Even as he tried he was wheeled back to their night in the hotel, to that moment when he first caught the whiff of her hair. His heart slid forward.

He liked it. Still liked it.

Touching his head in order to bring himself back to the present he glanced back at the picture before him. He had no doubt that his parents would love Namjoo, probably even a lot more than they loved him.

“Why are you standing over there?” his father called out.

Snapping out of his thoughts Sehun awkwardly smiled before walking toward them. They shared treats and talked until his parents called it a night. His parents would be heading back to Daegu in the morning and would be back to help with the wedding when time came for it. His mother would be travelling back and forth to decide on a date for the wedding. They wanted to finalize everything before the semester resumed. It would be fine, they deemed, for him to be married before his graduation date. In actuality, he and Namjoo would be graduating together if not for her failing the college entrance exam.

Namjoo was first to head upstairs and shower. Sehun paced back and forth in his room unable to keep still. Namjoo’s kiss still felt fresh on his lips. It was all he could think about while replaying their day in his head. Indeed, it was no lie that he was happy. Weird too, he thought, because he could think of nothing else.

He turned at the knock on his door and saw Namjoo look into his room. “I’m done. You can go wash up now.”

“Oh…ok,” he managed to say out of his daze. She looked fresh. Damp hair glued to her face and her body covered in her snuggly pajamas.

She looked fine as hell.

Sehun’s shoulders straightened up when he realized this thought. Then Namjoo disappeared from his doorway. Hurrying out he caught her just around the corner. Grabbing her arm, he pulled her back into his room just behind the door left ajar. Eyes widened at the unexpected move. A dozen words raced through his mind. He couldn’t catch his breath. Something was happening to him.

“I had fun today, too,” he said.

Namjoo’s expression turned blank then she positively smiled. “I’m glad you did, too. Then uh…good night.”

His hand tightened around her arm before sliding up to her shoulder. Something was amiss about this. He just couldn’t pinpoint it.

“What are you…” Namjoo started before he cut her off with a kiss.

Perhaps, he was wrong about not having romantic interest in her.

He squeezed the small of her shoulder then continued sliding his hand up to cup her face as he withdrew. His mind, soul, mentality sizzled. Breathing heavily but slowly he stared down into her eyes. They were shining for his parents earlier. Why didn’t they shine for him?

“Our parents might come up,” Namjoo said. She turned to slide out and walk away but he turned her back against the wall, leaning toward her as he did so until their lips touched again. She tasted of the bottle of toothpaste they shared, soft and inviting. Her tiny breath seared against his lips as he continued to give her open mouth kisses.

Namjoo’s fingers dug into his arm as he continued pressing into her until he reluctantly let go. He was flushed, super warm and not sure how to control himself. They stood there close to each other for a long pending minute just breathing, sharing the same space. And in his room.

“Uh…good night,” Namjoo awkwardly said.

“Oh…uh…yea,” he said trying to give her an unsuccessful glance. Sliding past Namjoo quickly escaped the hot room and closed the door of her bedroom. Sehun gulped before gently slamming himself against the wall, wondering what on earth what he was allowing to go through his head.

“I really need a cold shower,” he mumbled to himself.

He did just that. When he stepped out of the bathroom he paused in the middle of the hallway and stared at Namjoo’s bedroom. Was she asleep? Quietly stepping toward the door he pressed an ear to it. He heard nothing. Maybe she was asleep after all. Breathing a smile he continued into his room. Switching the lights off he jumped into bed and lie staring up at the ceiling. A jumble of thoughts ran around in his head.

Again, he thought about the day shared with Namjoo. It had been fun, almost felt like old times with her. What he liked most was that he had been able to look at her, listen and hear her voice. From time to time the excitement that vibrated through her voice made the happiness swirl through him a little faster. He thought about nothing but the present moment with her.

Shortly, just like that, he fell asleep with a smile on his face.

§§§§§

The happiest woman in the world at the moment was no one else but Kim Namjoo. Sighing deeply, she smiled non-stop. Sehun had kissed her and she had done nothing for it.

He had kissed her.

Exploding with happiness Namjoo pulled her pillow between her chest and hugged it.

He had kissed her

He had kissed her.

She squealed and breathed the next thousandth smile onto her face. As she lay there smiling into oblivion she reran the kiss over and over in her hand. Not once, but twice.

Oh Sehun had kissed her.


***Sehun admits it to himself!! He yearns for her!!!! But if only they'll stay like this...

***Interstingly, on one hand, if you've read A Second Chance this is quite the opposite. In A Second Chance Sehun gets Namjoo to marry him, but in this story she's actually the one getting him to marry her xD

***Anyway, my 7 day work week starts tonight. No updates for the rest of the week :( Thanks for all your comments. They seriously give me life! I'm not aiming to make my characters perfect, so I really love how badly you think of them sometimes