Breathe

Just Like Now

Sehun’s eyes widened with complete shock, unable to believe what he’d just heard.

Sniffling and then laughing bitterly, Seona pointed out, “Why? I gave you so many openings before, so why did you have to choose her? You said she was your best friend.” Crying angrily, “But then you went and slept with her. Why?! I was your girlfriend, I had every right! She was just your friend and there’s a line you don’t cross with friends!”

Stupefied, stunned, and hit with the facts he always knew to face made it nearly pointless for him to try defending himself in any way. Sehun could only stand there and listen to her belt out her heart. It was the least he could do now.

“Ninety-percent of the time you were with me it was Namjoo this, Namjoo that! Did you ever realize that? Did you love her even when you were with me?” Seona questioned, her expression vexed. “Then why did you confess? Why did you bother?” Throwing a pillow at him she screamed, “You can’t leave me like this! I won’t let you! I’m not letting you go ever!”

He swayed upon the impact of the pillow. He was quiet for a minute then finally said, “Don’t talk about her like that.” Quietening, Seona’s eyes turned somber. Sehun blinked hesitantly. “Cuss me out, hit me, but don’t talk about her. I don’t like it when people talk about her.”

Laughing shocked and bitter, Seona stared at him with fire in her eyes. “But what can we do? I’m going to make you spend the night with me.”

He could hardly breathe. Today was Namjoo’s birthday. He should be with her right now, could be listening to her laughing and mulling over her present. Seona was breaking and on the verge of going mad because of him. Where was right and wrong? He owed it to be good to Seona but Namjoo was his wife who had yet more birthdays to come. If he left Seona now, what would happen? What might she do next?

“What do you want from me?” Sehun asked.

Seona’s teary eyes sparkled as she devilishly laughed. “You’re not leaving me. Not tonight.”

It was one of the longest nights of Sehun’s life. Seona ate quietly, took her medication, and reminisced their love-filled days. Then he waited it out, sat at the edge of the bed letting her hold his hand until she fell asleep. It was then when he finally escaped. Nearly 3AM when he returned home. He was eager, anxious. The lights were on but Namjoo wasn’t up waiting for him. The evidence of emptiness showed that she hadn’t done anything since getting home. Sehun found her asleep upstairs and quietly crept toward her, trying not to rustle the bouquet tucked in his arm. Namjoo didn’t even budge when he touched her arm.

“Hey,” he whispered. “Wake up. I’m home.”

Finally stirring, Namjoo opened her eyes. It took her a good half minute to recognize him before sitting up half-asleep. Smiling from just feeling happy, he planted the bouquet into her arms before leaning forward to peck her cheek, whispering into her ear, “Happy birthday. I’m sorry I’m late.”

Namjoo’s fingers gripped the bouquet without realizing what it was. By then he had withdrawn and handed her the present had wanted to so much give her all day. As Namjoo glanced down at it with poofy eyes he turned the lights on and crouched down before her to watch her open it. When the collage came into view Namjoo began crying sorrowfully.

Leaning up to hug her he patted her back, “Hey, don’t cry. You’re making this turn out weird. If you don’t like it, I’ll get you something else.”

Namjoo laughed and shook her head. “I like it. I’ll kill you if you take it.” Amused, he laughed into her hair. Still crying, Namjoo muttered, “Thank you, Sehun.”

§§§§§

Yesterday Namjoo had cried until she’d fallen asleep. Then Sehun had woken her up and then she slept happily and soundly. This morning she was cheerful, because, once again, she could feel Sehun’s love and it was real. She wanted to brag to Yunyeong when she got to work. Since Sehun had to leave for a long business meeting today she planned to show him the ultrasound and surprise him with the gender of the baby when she returned home. Everything would, once again, be all peaceful like it should be.

All except for the call she got that morning on the way to work. It was Seona. Irked, Namjoo ignored the call. After a few seconds her phone rang again. She refused to answer. It stopped then rang again. It was Seona. As she sped past a red light Namjoo tried to push all negative thoughts to the back of her head. The irritation came on stronger the more urgent the ringing became.

On impulse, Namjoo picked up the phone without refraining from sounding angry, “Stop calling me!”

Suddenly, a dark cloud formed overhead. A dark sensation began forming inside Namjoo’s heart and she instinctly knew it was about Sehun.

Her phone beeped signaling an incoming text message. She ignored it. The machine beeped again. Her grip tightened on the steering wheel, irritancy increasing by the second. Maybe it was her hormones acting up and she was becoming emotional. Stomping on the brakes at the red light Namjoo turned to stare at the phone sitting in front of her purse in the passenger’s seat.

She would, like Yunyeong had suggested a thousand times, tell that off. Grabbing her phone, she unlocked it. The message screen immediately popped up and Namjoo lost a heartbeat at the pictures flooding her screen. A whimper escaped subconsciously from her lips, her concentration now immersed on those pictures.

She knew that outfit. She knew that tie she had fixed for Sehun the morning of his birthday, she knew that woman with him, but she didn’t know that bed.

Tears immediately lubricated her eyes. Namjoo’s eyes shot back up to the road upon a screaming car horn. She had taken her foot off the brake. In the matter of a few seconds’ metal went crushing in her ear and windows went shattering.

§§§§§

Business meetings always lasted long hours. Sehun hated them the most. Sitting too long cramped up his and hurt his back. He had to constantly fight the urge to daydream. It was finally noon when they were released from the conference room.

That morning he realized he’d left his phone behind at Seona’s. It must have slipped out of his pocket last night when he urgently left. He planned to get it back from her, but there was no need to go searching for her. She was in his office when he walked in.

Smiling brightly, she waved as if yesterday never happened. “How was the meeting?”

He looked at her then away. Sehun made it toward his desk when she finally held out the familiar looking mobile phone.

“Lost something?” Seona smirked when he took it quickly. “Looks like you’ve a few missed calls. I didn’t answer if you’re worried.” Smiling sweetly, “I’ll see you at lunch later.”

Sehun watched her walk out before turning attention to his phone. The missed calls were from Namjoo’s parents. Hurriedly heading into his voicemail curious about why they’d called he waited for their messages to be transmitted.

His heart sunk when he heard, “Sehun, Namjoo’s been in an accident. I’m afraid it’s very bad. Please come to the hospital as soon as you hear this.”

Beep.

Next message: “Sehun, Namjoo’s currently in surgery. Please hurry. Something bad has happened.”

Spinning around with keys in hand he rushed out wiped with concern, his heart hammering speedily against his ribs. There was a message from his parents telling him they were on their way to Seoul and to stay strong. Worry struck him even harder. Their voices made this sound like it was a life and death situation.

Then he stopped in front of the elevator…

Beep… “Last message sent from Wednesday the 24th at 10:00 pm…”

“Where are you?” Namjoo asked unable to help but let the sadness soar through. “Can you come home? I’m waiting for you.”

Last night…that was last night…

§§§§§

Namjoo felt like she was walking through a surreal dream field. Flowers and healthy tall grass all around her swaying with the gentle wind. The sun shining brightly in the high blue sky with fluffy clouds. Her body was light and her heart happier than she’d ever been. This was heaven and she didn’t want to leave. Without warning it all began to fade. The sound of a beeping monitor became clearer to her ears, louder by the second. She felt herself twitch then her eyes opened.

“Namjoo?” someone from the side leaned forth. At first, she was sure she saw Sehun. Then her vision cleared and she recognized Yunyeong.

An ache struck her heart. Pulling herself up Namjoo pressed a hand to her heart, immediately sobbing.

“No, what are you doing? You have to lay down,” Yunyeong tried but Namjoo shook her head refusing her friend’s attempt to lay her down. Finally raising the bed up and placing a pillow at her back Yunyeong sat back down waiting for her to gather herself.

“Where’s my phone?” Namjoo managed through sobs.

“What are you…why are you talking about your phone?”

“Where is my phone?” Namjoo asked again.

Giving in without further question, Yunyeong stood up and walked over to a table in the room. Searching through a bag she brought back a cracked phone.

“I’m not sure it works…” Yunyeong said watching Namjoo turn it on.

The friend looked confused when Namjoo handed the phone to her. With miserable tears sliding down her face Namjoo admitted, “You were right. You were always right.” When Yunyeong began scrolling Namjoo explained while sobbing, “That was the night of Sehun’s birthday. I cooked and bought a cake for him, and then I waited all night, but he didn’t come home.” Heart breaking at the memory Namjoo clutched onto her hospital gown as her body shook. Voice cracking, “He was with her.”

“It must be a mistake,” Yunyeong tried. “Namjoo…”

She shook her head knowing she was right. In that moment, what she needed was someone to listen, someone to lean on. She was tired and drained. The start of a marriage shouldn’t be like this. She shouldn’t have to be so scared about losing her husband from the start, but she was and it was all so wrong.

§§§§§

Panting, Sehun crookedly parked his car before running into the hospital. He impatiently ran up to the receptionist on the first floor, slapped the desk continuously as he waited for the woman to search up a Kim Namjoo. Then he was off flying toward the elevator only arriving to hear the rest of Namjoo’s tale.

He had thought about running in to find her sleeping, waiting for him, but he recognized Yunyeong with her. He also recognized the sound of Namjoo sobbing deliriously as if any second now she might not be able to breathe. Sehun’s first intention was to walk in and immediately hug her, but he halted.

“I’m always scared but I don’t want to be a bad wife, so I always tell myself to be a little more patient.” Namjoo cried. “When he doesn’t come home, I know he’s with her. When he’s at work, I know he sees her. I know she calls him, but I try not to make a big deal out of it then I still worry. What if he still loves her? What if he wants to go back to her? Should I let him go?”

“Namjoo stop,” Yunyeong tried but Namjoo just kept sobbing.

“I thought...I thought this baby would be it,” Namjoo confessed heartbroken, “this baby would make him love me.” She shook her head. “That’s why I was happy. What am I going to do? The baby’s already gone. I lost the baby…it’s my fault…I lost the baby…”

Namjoo cried even harder. Sehun’s hand grew into a fist with his nails digging into his palm. It broke him too…

“Would he still want to be with me?” Namjoo whimpered sadly. “I know he doesn’t love me, but I liked him so much…that he even married me. Yunyeong, what do I do? When I was lonely, when he couldn’t keep his word because he had to work so much I tried not to be in his way. Whenever he went to her, even if his heart is always with her, no matter how much I hate it, I can’t even get mad at him. Because you know…because he gave her up to marry me. I owe him that, so I can’t say anything. I’m stupid, aren’t I?”

“Namjoo…” Yunyeong tried before pulling her into a hug.

While he listened to Namjoo cry the rest of her strength away Sehun fell against the wall. He hadn’t imagined that Namjoo had been so insecure. What had been going through her mind when she was always so upbeat?

An hour or two passed as he sunk into his memory of their early marriage. It was what, he had thought, a happy one. Was he wrong?

He looked up when Yunyeong walked out. She looked at him without showing her surprise and even if she was surprised to see him, she didn’t let him know. The friend just stared.

“Namjoo finally fell asleep,” Yunyeong flatly stated with a cold tone. “Don’t get her worked up. Her parents have gone to the airport to pick up your parents. If she wakes up, don’t say anything, just stay with her.”

Sehun watched her walk away. For a minute, he hesitated then finally walked in. Namjoo was indeed deep asleep. Nearing he noticed that her lower arm was in a cast, broken from the impact of the incoming car he’d heard. She had stitches on her face and there was a bruise on her cheekbone. The tiny bump that had started to show on her belly was no longer there.

What would he say about the baby? What words would be able to comfort her? What could he do?

Moving eyes up to her face he sat down glad that she had made it out alive. It was all that mattered.

Slowly raising a hand up he traced the cast on her arm before running a finger over her hairline. She didn’t budge.

He was suddenly plundered by all these new troubles. He never knew Namjoo had so much going through her head. How hard it must have been for her when she was pregnant. And it was his fault.

Within the hour their parents finally arrived. Her mother burst into tears when she saw Namjoo who was still asleep.

“Stop it,” Namjoo’s father scolded. “You’re going to wake her.”

“What are we going to do?” his mother worried with tears. “The baby…”

“It was a girl,” Namjoo’s mother piped up then covered with a tissue. “She was such a beautiful baby.”

This had Sehun wheeling around to stare at Namjoo’s mother. The baby was a girl?

His father touched his arm interrupting his moment, “It’s ok, son. Everything will be ok.”

There was a debate about who would stay when visitor hours ended. After deciding that it was only right for the husband to stay, their parents finally left for the night. It was around evening when Namjoo finally awoke. Sehun had turned the lights off in hopes of making Namjoo more comfortable in her sleep. When she first stirred awake she only looked at him but didn’t say anything. He had hoped she would say something…anything.

Half an hour later Namjoo finally said, “Don’t touch my baby’s stuff.”

His brows twitched. Unable to say anything he just said, “All right.”

“Turn on the TV.”

“What do you want to watch?” he asked. When she didn’t answer, he ended up handing her the remote. In hopes of tending to her he wondered, “Are you thirsty?”

“Where are my parents?” Namjoo questioned.

“They’ve gone home for the night,” Sehun replied. “Are you comfortable?”

“I’m fine,” was the last of her words before she stopped talking to him. Namjoo fell asleep for a few short hours before the sun rose again. Their parents filed into the hospital room with fresh food packed for her.

“Your mother woke up extra early just to cook this for you,” her father boasted. “She couldn’t sleep at all last night.”

“Eat up,” her mother urged. “Sehun’s mother also bought freshly butchered chicken for you, so get better soon.”

“It’s getting pretty late. Why don’t you head home and change? You need to go to work, don’t you?” his father wondered.

He didn’t want to leave. He still wanted to stay and watch Namjoo eat. He wanted to see her become healthy again and then they would work on their relationship.

“All right,” he reluctantly agreed. Looking at Namjoo he promised, “I’ll be back soon. Rest up.”

She only gave him a glance before he had to get going. Even as he tried he made it back later than expected. Namjoo was currently busy getting inspected by a doctor and by herself when he arrived.

After greeting him the doctor explained, “Her vitals are stable. She may be able to go home soon.”

“When…when can she be released?” Sehun asked. He was anxious for some time alone with Namjoo. He had a lot of things to say to her about him, them, and Seona.

“Perhaps tomorrow or the day after,” the doctor answered. Relieved, he thanked the doctor and turned to Namjoo with a smile.

§§§§§

Sehun stayed with her again that night. He left again the next morning for work. While he was gone, her mother came to stay with her.

“Mom,” Namjoo called out from the bed.

“Yes?”

“Can I come home?” Namjoo asked. “I get released tomorrow.”

“What about Sehun? He’s not coming to get you?”

“Mom,” Namjoo called again, “you know he got promoted, so he’s busy these days. Can I come stay with you and dad?”

“Did you ask Sehun? What did he say?”

She hadn’t spoken to him at all. One look at him and all she saw was Seona. Then she saw that text again “Sehun was with me last night.”

“He said it’s ok.” she lied.


***Nows for the hard part...

***Birthdays are really terrible for them :(

***Just you wait until Sehun finds out that Namjoo's miscarriage was caused by Seona