To. Us

Just Like Now

“I was wondering why you came down,” Seona shamelessly said to Sehun then glanced at her. Smiling broadly, she greeted, “Hi, Namjoo. It’s so nice to see you again.”

Taken aback and feeling flabbergasted Namjoo was forced to nod, “Oh, uh…hi.”

Like a statue Sehun appeared frozen in front of her. Most likely he didn’t know what to do. Namjoo didn’t either. She didn’t know Seona was here. So that was the reason Sehun first applied to work here…

Forcing herself to swallow Namjoo said, “We were going to have lunch. Why don’t you eat with us?”

“That’s so nice of you. I was just getting hungry too,” Seona joyfully said. Namjoo’s palms grew sweaty when they stepped into the elevator. The glee sprouting flowers inside her died. Instead, the wilted flowers hugged her heart so hard it ached. Whatever happened she needed to be ok. If she let any emotion show she would only make Sehun feel bad. She never wanted him to know how she felt because she didn’t want to know that he only married her because she was pitiful. She would be happy. She would still smile. She would make it ok.

§§§§§

It turned out Seona had brought her own two servings to lunch. Obviously it was for both her and Sehun. Namjoo wanted to look away, get up and walk out. She remained sitting there with them at the lunch table, both their foods taking up each corner as if telling Sehun to pick whose food he wanted.

What an awful situation.

“It’s pretty delicious,” Seona complimented after trying hers. “You’re a little better than me at cooking.”

Smiling slightly Namjoo said, “I’m not much of a cook.”

“Me either,” Seona said, “but I like cooking for people important to me.”

Namjoo bit down on her teeth and hid her fists underneath the table. She turned to watch when Sehun leaned forward to eat her food then jokingly commented, “Did you have mom help you?”

Half-heartedly scoffing Namjoo replied, “Of course not.”

“I heard your wedding is coming up,” Seona interjected. “Can I come?”

Namjoo’s insides drummed unhappily. What could she say? Wasn’t Sehun supposed to answer? Namjoo glanced to him, expecting him to out rightly reject her. Instead, he said, “It’s just a small wedding for family and relatives.”

“Then I can’t come?” she asked. “I thought we were close.”

Namjoo’s eyes jot over to Sehun again. How could he ever say no to his first love? How mean was that to reject her? Even though it was the right thing to do, Namjoo forced herself to be understanding. First loves after all…were something men didn’t get over. Not even she ever got over her first love.

It was a terrible lunch listening to Seona talk about the similar things she and Sehun had to do at work, making it sound like they were living together, doing and sharing the same things. Knowing they saw each other every day made Namjoo sick to the stomach. She could hardly keep the food in .

“Sorry,” was all Sehun said when he walked her toward the elevator, “I meant to tell you earlier.”

“We can talk later,” Namjoo said though it didn’t make her feel internally better. “You should get back to work. You seem busy.”

“I’ll take you to your car.”

“Don’t,” Namjoo rejected. “I’ll be fine. You only have a half hour break. I don’t want you getting in trouble.”

“I won’t,” Sehun assured and she nearly believed him.

She quickly turned to go when the elevator door opened. After waiting for the people to file out she hurriedly stepped in and pressed the button to the lobby. Waving she said, “I’m going.”

“I’ll see you at home,” he said.

When the doors closed Namjoo let herself fall back against the wall. He’d come home to her after getting his eyeful of Seona. No wonder he was happy whenever he got back.

Closing her eyes, she let out a sigh. And she had foolishly believed everything had been perfect that morning. How very funny.

§§§§§

Perfect. Just perfect.

Namjoo shouldn’t have found out this way. He hadn’t wanted it to be like this. What would she think now?

He was edgy all the way until he got home. The atmosphere was homey and inviting as usual. At the dinner table Namjoo happily shared a story about a couple she met at work. Then she put food on his plate and made everything look ok, but he didn’t feel all right.

“Lets go for a walk around the block,” he suggested after helping collect the dishes after dinner.

“This late?” Namjoo asked.

“It’s not too late,” he pointed out.

“Aren’t you tired? You have to get up early for work.”

“It’ll be fine,” he said.

Leaving the dishes to Namjoo’s mother they ventured out the door. Under the evening starlight everything looked serenely beautiful. Calm in a mannerly fashion compared to the busy daytime. Reaching for Namjoo’s hand he said, “Seona helped me get into the company. I didn’t know I’d get the position, but it happened that way. I was going to tell you. It’s just…it slipped my mind.”

“I believe you,” Namjoo said. He felt a small squeeze from her hand.

“You can get angry at me,” he told her.

“Why?” she wondered.

“You don’t have to trust my every word,” Sehun went on. “Distrust me every now and then. You haven’t said anything so far. I don’t know when you’re upset or when you’re not. You can yell at me, too. Being a lover is kind of different than being a friend, you know.”

Namjoo glanced up at him then looked away with a tiny smile that caught his heart. “You said you like me happy, so I won’t be angry. And I believe you. I’ll always believe you.”

Pulling her to a stop he leaned in to kiss her. For a few minutes they made out quietly underneath the moonlight embracing each other. When they pulled away flushed they only managed to laugh sheepishly.

“Come on, lets go home,” Namjoo urged pulling him after her. “And don’t come into my room tonight. I don’t want to be late to work again.”

After that, Namjoo didn’t come to his workplace again. He’d go out to have lunch with her instead. After two weeks they finally moved out of her parent’s house and into their own. His parents even bought him a separate car as a wedding gift when they came up to help with the move. He and Namjoo settled in nicely and before they knew it they were having their wedding.

§§§§§

It was a big ceremony. Friends of relatives’ relatives, their immediate relatives, their friends, and friends of parents all gathered underneath one roof for their grand wedding. A joyous day it was. Indescribable and more like a dream than reality. Both mothers had poured all effort into making it a one of a kind wedding seeking out professionals and expensive decorations. Foods had been ordered from private chefs. Neither Sehun nor Namjoo knew how that happened, but it had happened.

The hall was grand. Their fathers had managed to rent out a hotel ballroom just for one entire day. The wedding and after ceremony. Laughter and chatter floated around all day quieting only when the music began playing and everyone rose for the bride. Though it had been rehearsed many times the previous days, it was still a heart pounding moment Sehun didn’t think he’d ever forget or be ready for.

In her flowing white dress Namjoo came toward him dreamily, beautifully. When he had asked to go with her to her dress fitting Namjoo had adamantly scolded him. Something about it was bad luck to see the bride in her dress before the wedding. It had been funny the way she’d scolded him, but he understood now. The wait for the surprise was worth it.

Unable to maintain his glee he ultimately grinned when their eyes met. The bouquet, the makeup, the accessories many hours had been spent brooding over made today all the more unforgettable. Today, he was the richest man alive.

Emotions welled up inside him, threatening to pour over in a way he’d never experienced when her father handed him her hand. So this was what it was like knowing he owned her heart now and forever. To be the only special one in her life, to share and carry her burdens, and hold her hand for life. This was, on a level, so different from the soulmate friend he’d been. Now, he was privileged to be intimate with her, they could walk any line together, and all day they could be each other’s.

The word special had never been so vast before.

Silence overwhelmed the entire ballroom when attention them. Sehun had rehearsed for a long time, had thought for a week straight about what he wanted to say to her. He still didn’t know what exactly his heart wanted to say through his lips.

“I,” he started nervously, “don’t really know what to say or where to begin.” Breathing anxiously, he laughed and brushed a hand against his nape, “This is nerve-wrecking.” A few people in the audience laughed. “I remember when we were kids and you used to make me cry by taking my toys, but now I’ll give in to your every word. I do like seeing you happy. It makes me happy and I like your smile.” Finding the courage, he peered into her eyes, “I still don’t understand why you love me so much. I’m not that great of a guy. You could have had the whole world, but then you chose me. I’m thankful more than I can ever say. I know I made it difficult for you and I continue to give you hard times, but I’m trying my best to become a better man. I might hurt you now and then, but I want you to know that even before things changed between us, you’re always in my heart. I’ll still think about you tomorrow and the day after, the year after, just like now. I’ll do my best to make your everyday happy, Namjoo.”

A part of the audience cooed at his speech, but what was important was how she accepted his words. Namjoo had always been a part of his life. To live without her was to live without water. He hoped she understood that coming from him. Sehun did mean it. He would do his best for her, because he owed it and he wanted to.

He was partially relieved but sad and sorry when Namjoo cried. There were many times he’d made her cry as a child, but that was then. Namjoo only shed tears once in front of him and that had been when she’d confessed.

“I’ve been selfish and that may not be an excuse for anything,” she wiped her tear. “You were always my friend, and you’ll be forever. It’s just a little different right now, but I’ll always love you even as my friend. Even as we grow older, even if you look somewhere else, no matter where you go or what you do I think I’ll still always love you. We’ve known each other a long time, so you know…right?” Crying again, Namjoo found herself unable to speak. It took a minute or two for her to manage her words again. This time all she said was, “I’m so sorry. I love you.”

She cried all the way through the exchange of rings and even when he kissed her.

During a short break Namjoo broke away to her dress room. Needing to sit down for a while he also headed down the hall to his room. He couldn’t decipher what was running through his head, but he was unsettled again. Meaninglessly throwing a coin in front of the table he turned when there was a knock at his door and Lee Chul poked his head in.

“Hey, groom,” Chul playfully greeted.

“Hey,” Sehun fully shifted around. “Why are you here and not out there eating?”

“I can’t see a friend?”

“We’re still friends?” he asked jokingly.

Leaning against a round table overfilled with jackets Chul said, “Then we aren’t?” Sehun laughed amused. “Congratulations. On your marriage.”

“I know,” he smiled. “Thanks.”

“Please love her a lot.”

“I’ll take offense hearing that from another man.”

Chul scoffed lightheartedly, “I’m telling you, because you’re seriously lucky.”

“I know,” he said. “I will.”

§§§§§

“You all right?” Yunyeong, at her tail, asked as she sat down in front of the vanity.

“I hope I didn’t ruin my makeup,” Namjoo, now stuffy nosed, hoped as she searched for a tissue.

“You didn’t have to cry up there,” Yunyeong said.

“I was just…” Namjoo started then quieted. She suddenly thought about how she’d seen Seona in the elevator at Sehun’s workplace. Shaking her head to dispel the thought she said, “It’s nothing.”

Today was her day. She shouldn’t be thinking about anyone else but herself.

“Am I still pretty?” she turned around to ask.

“Beautiful,” Yunyeong assured. “Now go out there and be with Sehun. He’s probably waiting for you.”

Namjoo was eager but also nervous. What would Sehun think of her after seeing her childish tears up at the artificial altar? Gathering herself she rose to her feet and with Yunyeong’s help, carried the tail of her dress as she left the dressing room.

The ballroom was crowded, all the guests now up and on their feet. The smell of food was overpowering. They all turned with smiles and in awe when Namjoo walked back in. Today really was her day. She felt like a princess from a fairytale who’d won over her evil stepmother and now owned all the land. Compared to any other day, she felt the most beautiful. All eyes were on her, all comments about her, and everyone envious about her marriage. And she wanted it to remain true like this forever.

If only…

Namjoo turned when a hand slipped across her palm and fingers entwined themselves through hers. Appearing magically at her side like a knight in shining armor Sehun glanced at her with a smile.

It was ok. She could believe in it. This was her reality.

After searching for their parents they sat down together happily at a round table. Food had already been prepared for them ahead of time. They ate gleefully, chatted like there was no tomorrow. And then finally, they were at the center stage with Sehun holding her hand and pulling her after him, a slow backdrop song echoing throughout the room.

It was the first time in her life she was sharing a dance with him. This was a memory she never wanted to forget even if she got hit with Alzheimer’s in old age. Sehun, her now husband, was her first for everything and she wanted him to be the last for everything. Only him, the only one.

She leaned into him, her fingers sliding over the hills of his shoulders when he wrapped his arm around her lower back to hold her closer. Her eyes roved over his face, met his eyes, and they shared a smile before she further linked her arms around him. Burying her face into his neck she took in a full whiff of him. Even if he hadn’t married her, even if he had children with someone else, even if shadows grew between them, Namjoo knew she’d never forget him. No matter what she’d tried doing, her heart had been unwilling to let him go. For this moment she was ultimately thankful.

She wanted them to be like this forever.

§§§§§

It was late into the night when they finally split up with everyone else and headed home – their home. It was a tiny structure two stories high with all the bedrooms upstairs. With much effort it was now a cozy place with homey decorations and new furniture. Some kitchen hardware were hand-me-downs from their parents. One of the three bedrooms upstairs were their room. The other two was yet to be used.

After showering and throwing on some PJs they lay in the bed they’d been sharing as of late. Both tired mentally and physically, but both awake. Their hands brushed above the blanket and in the dark turned to look at each other. A trail of silver moonlight stole into the room from the window at the side. Shadows grew over them from the wooden closet and Namjoo’s vanity.

Life shared lately had been peaceful. They spent mornings together, went to work, and came home to each other. It was like a routine. In a few months Sehun would be returning to complete his final semester. Namjoo wasn’t yet sure when she’d return to school. Things would fall in place she hoped. She was still unsure about Sehun’s status at work. She didn’t have the courage to go back there or even ask how it was going.

“You’re not asleep?” Sehun asked, his finger gliding across the back of her hand.

“Not yet,” she quietly replied.

She turned when Sehun shifted onto his side to look at her. “Did I tell you, you were really beautiful today?”

She flushed both happy and embarrassed. “I know. Everybody thought that today.”

Namjoo listened to him laugh and laughed along with him. Turning onto her side she peered into the glow of his eyes feeling ever more important. Today was their day and tonight their night. Deep within her soul she could sense it, feel it. He was going to kiss her. He was, right now, really hers.

Kim Namjoo’s husband, Oh Sehun.


***And here we go, into the next half of the story!!