The Bruise

Just Like Now

§§§§§

Sleep was unsuccessful. Namjoo’s eyes opened when her phone began ringing. It was Lee Chul. He wanted to do something, but everyone else seemed occupied. After a few seconds of silence Namjoo agreed they could do something together.

Here she was at a field of flowers with him. The view was a sight to behold and it made her feel graciously good for a few hours until they left. Quiet in the car Namjoo stared out the window. This time they stopped to have steak as they last promised.

“Did you have fun today?” Chul asked.

Namjoo nodded without lie, “It was fun. Thanks for calling me out. To be honest, I was just holed up in my room.”

“Why?”

“Just because.” Her eyes drifted back down to her food and she tastelessly popped a piece of meat into , forcing herself to chew energetically.

Chul observed her for a few seconds then asked, “Namjoo, lets go on a date.”

This had her eyes veering back up to the face admired by many women.

“I mean, we don’t have to go as a boyfriend or girlfriend, but a date, just us two,” Chul explained. “How about it?”

Date? Namjoo had never been on a date before, but she knew the concept of what a date was. She was undecided. She had no feelings for Chul. She kind of wished she could feel something for him, but there wasn’t any ounce of attraction toward him. Namjoo was very sorry about that.

Then she thought about Sehun and immediately cut herself off from thinking further.

Anything but Sehun was good right now. Any excuse to be away from him perfectly befit her situation. A date? With Lee Chul? That would be harmless.

“Ok.”

When Namjoo walked through the door after saying her farewell to Chul Sehun was standing in the center of the kitchen. He merely stared at her for a few seconds before brushing past. Spinning around Namjoo stared at the closed door, wondering what just happened.

What reason was there for Sehun to be upset?

§§§§§

Lee Chul was parked outside as promised. Sehun walked right up to his car and got into the passenger’s seat.

“What was that text about?” Chul wondered.

Staring straight ahead Sehun ordered, “Drive.”

Shooting the friend a frown Chul drove them aimlessly until he arrived at a local ball park. The basketball court was now ditched by young players. Turning to Sehun Chul asked, “Are you going to tell me what’s up? You wanted me to send Namjoo home, now what?”

“Where’d you go? Did you tell her you like her?” Sehun asked.

“Hey, what’s with you?” Chul asked lightheartedly. “Did I do something wrong?”

“I said did you or did you not?” Sehun repeated more aggressively.

“Hey, we just simply went out and ate as friends. I didn’t confess, ok?” Chul breathed. “Is something going on at Namjoo’s house? Why’d you tell me to bring her home?”

Sehun merely wanted to bite his tongue. How could he explain it to Chul that his feelings for Namjoo was driving a wedge into their friendship? It sounded childish on one hand and on the other it was a real problem. Yet, how could he point fingers and tell Chul he was the fault of his fall out with Namjoo?

“You didn’t say anything to her then?” Sehun asked staring out the front window.

“I asked her on a date,” Chul hopelessly grinned like a teenager in love, “she said yes.”

Subconsciously drawing his lips together Sehun felt both baffled and surprised that Chul had really done it, and that Namjoo said yes. Finally, he turned to Chul again, “When?”

“Friday,” Chul beamed. “So, do you know if Namjoo likes flowers? Or is she not into those things?”

§§§§§

Silence when he returned. In the end, he couldn’t say anything to Chul. Heading up the stairs he paused in front of Namjoo’s room, hand raised, ready to knock. If Namjoo heard him she didn’t come to the door. Unfolding his fist, he planted his palm against the door.

When would she speak to him again? If he hadn’t left her keys in her room earlier he could use it now as an excuse just to see and share a few words with her.

The following morning Namjoo announced she would be spending the rest of the day at the library completing her research paper. Her parents urged her on but he said nothing. He would offer to help but she didn’t even look at him. It was the cold shoulder again.

Dejected, he watched her go without a word. He hadn’t realized how less of a person Namjoo could make him feel. He thought she valued him more than anyone. Then this happened. Sehun didn’t understand why. Going back through their times together brought him nowhere. What had he done? What happened to them?

Throughout the week he thought it would do good to at least try saying something to Namjoo. All he got in return were one worded answers. Sehun was worried for the sake of his relationship with Namjoo.

His inability to fully concentrate on the musical screening during club hours made him feel apologetic whenever Seona had to call him for attention. 

“What’s been on your mind recently?” Seona caught up with him in the hallway. “Are things still not going well between you and Namjoo? Should I talk to her for you?”

Sehun shook his head. This was his and Namjoo’s personal problem. It wasn’t right for Seona to do anything.

That night when he headed up the stairs he glanced toward Namjoo’s bedroom. He almost walked away if he hadn’t realized the door had been left a crack open. In their younger years he had freely come over, walked into her room as he liked, and neither wouldn’t have cared about it at all. It was very weird now, as if Namjoo had banned him from stepping even a foot inside.

Hesitating in front of her door afraid that he’d get a rude remark he just stood there. The angle of his view landed specifically on her drawer where a bunch of stuffed animals still sat. Sehun waited a few seconds for Namjoo to come slam the door in his face, but she hadn’t come. He hesitated a little more before reaching up to push the door open. As it caked open he saw Namjoo leaning over her desk, head planted sideways against a textbook. She wasn’t moving. Beside her sat a tray of snacks, possibly brought up by her mother. He spotted breadcrumbs and a drained cup of tea.

It suddenly felt like ages since he’d seen Namjoo up front so peacefully. A mechanical pencil was loosely gripped between her fingers, a notebook filled with the handwriting he recognized. Then it sunk in. Namjoo was still a student who tried hard.

That was his Namjoo.

His heart lurched in warning when Namjoo slightly moved and murmured something he couldn’t hear. With breath held he waited for her to wake up. When she didn’t he bravely leaned closer to listen in case she spoke again. He was curious about what she was saying.

Sehun let out a very loud yelp the following second when Namjoo’s head shot up into his cheekbone. Stumbling backward with hand pressed against his face he tried not to whine as Namjoo jumped up surprised.

“What, what, what,” she quickly looked around dazed and confused.

He groaned then glanced at her through the gaps of his fingers. How was he going to explain this to her? Without saying anything Namjoo stared at him unkindly.

“I…” he managed to begin but didn’t know what to really say in order for her to spare him. “Your door was open, so I just…I was just wondering what you were doing.”

He backed up becoming somewhat intimidated when she stepped forward and gripped the door. “Go. I’m going to sleep now.”

Tilting his head back he groaned when she closed the door and mumbled to himself, “Idiot.”

§§§§§

When he joined them at the table the next morning Sehun felt like lowering his head. That didn’t help much with concealing his wounded face. Namjoo’s mother asked as she set a bowl down, “What happened to your face, Sehun?”

He cheek was bruised thanks to his curiosity last night. And he suddenly felt it was a weird thing to tell Namjoo’s parents he had walked into her room.

“It’s nothing. I just tripped,” he lied for his own sake. When she passed it off he turned to find Namjoo glancing at him through the corner of her eyes. He felt like sighing pitifully. She must think he was a weird ert or something even worse now.

Although Namjoo’s parents may have believed that he’d just tripped Taihee and Sungwoo didn’t let it go very easily. They jabbed him with jokes and light punches to the arm.

“You and Seona are taking things fast,” they teased. “So, where’d you do it?”

“That’s not funny. Leave me alone,” Sehun muttered.

“That’s quite an accident to have. Did the queen kick you?” Taihee chuckled.

Sehun shot him a disgusted frown before managing to snatch his bag and walking out of the club room. Running a hand up and through his hair he let out a frustrated sigh. Discovering an empty spot in front of the art building Sehun sat down. An unsettling feeling had formed itself in the pit of his stomach after seeing Chul last Saturday. It was distressing.

Hasty footsteps rushed up the concrete steps of the art building as he leaned forward to bury his head in his hands. As the footsteps neared he heard, “Are you ok?”

Straightening up he recognized Seona. “What are you doing out here? Don’t tell me the guys ditched again?”

“No, they’re in,” Sehun replied.

Leaning over Seona looked him over, “What happened to your face?”

There was a never ending list of questions about the bruise on his face. Sehun had noticed the many students looking at him as they passed. Yes, that was the real question. What had he been doing to get this bruise?

He would be offending Seona if he told her he’d gone into Namjoo’s bedroom. It was understandable that they were friends but that was through his perspective. No one sane man would simply open the door and walk in. Not even Lee Chul would dare do that. Exactly, what had been going through his mind last night?

“I fell,” he lied.

“Have you gotten it checked?”

“It’s just a small bruise,” Sehun said. “It’ll go away in week.”

Pressing her lips together giving up Seona stood. “Then, lets go in. We’re going to have our last screening tomorrow.”

Nodding lethargically, he got up to his feet to follow her.

§§§§§

Sehun arrived home early that evening and had dinner with Namjoo's parents. It felt like Namjoo no longer ate with them, even though she was there at the breakfast table. When her parents called it a night he remained in the living room with the TV blaring. How long ago had it been when he and Namjoo watched anything together? Namjoo with her popcorn and soda, a leg propped up on the sofa to hug all the space she could. They hadn’t done anything together since the semester started.

Something was really digging at him. He couldn’t tell what, but he couldn’t breathe because of it. Sighing, he buried his head back against the couch and closed his eyes.

“She’s not here?” Sehun asked.

Her mother nodded then smiled happily, “Remember that boy I asked you about? Namjoo went with him. Oh, I think they’re having a date but she’s too shy to tell me about it.” Slapping the arm rest she asked, “You said you were friends with him? Do you know what he does? Is he still in school?”

It wasn’t that he’d been upset the previous Saturday. It was true he had wanted to come back to Namjoo. It was true he had been taken aback when he heard Lee Chul had come. But Lee Chul…Lee Chul…could he not take a hint not to be so pushy?

Sehun slapped his hands over his face but scowled the next second when he hit his bruise. in pain he bent forward clutching his face. When the door opened he immediately sat up and watched Namjoo walk in. Closing the door, she slipped her shoes off, all without acting like he wasn’t there.

For some reason, she made him feel super small. He felt like he was no longer a person she valued. It made him feel bad.

He spoke up when she started walking by, “Can we talk? Just a minute?”

She paused but didn’t turn his way. Nervous, he rose to his feet. It suddenly felt like they weren’t friends, but housemates who’d had disagreements neither had voiced.

“There’s a problem a friend of mine is having, but I have no one to talk to,” he started. “It’s like this. A friend of mine has this really good friend and this other friend of theirs really likes her. But you see, that friend supposedly told his friend that that friend likes her, so now she feels obligated to date him. What should I do?”

Something welled up within his chest. That something squeezed his heart. Don’t walk away, he wanted to tell her. Namjoo did. She took a step toward the stairs in an attempt to ignore him.

“I’m talking about you,” Sehun loudly said and watched her halt again. “Can you not go on that date?”

Silence.

With more determination this time, “Don’t go on that date with Chul.”

He almost started breathing normally again when Namjoo turned to look at him. What she said next cut through him sharply.

“Mind your own business,” she hissed before turning to head up the stairs.

Sehun watched her go dispirited. It wasn’t supposed to be like this.

§§§§§

Was he starting to lose the only friend of a lifetime?

The worry spiraled through his head. He couldn’t concentrate. Not in class. Not at club meetings. Not at club events.

“Can you stop that?” a classmate sitting beside him asked.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” Sehun apologized. He hadn’t realized he’d been clicking his pen for several minutes now. Setting it down he cupped a hand against his cheek and stared at the math equations the professor was writing on the whiteboard.

Back in high school he and Namjoo often traded notes if they didn’t understand what was going on in class. Back then they still had each other for help. Whenever, wherever they were willing to help one another.

Was it him? Was it his fault? For diving off ahead without her? Had he first started it?

He’d started preparing for college early. Had taken the early college entrance exams. Namjoo had simply enjoyed her youth those days. Had she first felt unvalued in their friendship?

Groaning Sehun ran a hand up his face frustrated. The classmate beside him clicked her tongue annoyed. Sehun glanced at her with a nod of apology then packed up his belongings and left class early. What was the point of sitting there when he wasn’t even paying attention?

Heading off to the restroom he washed his hands without even needing to. He was just in the kind of state where he needed to be doing something. Looking up into the mirror he observed the bruise on his face. It was starting to fade. Maybe he should ask Seona for some of her makeup to make the bruise appear darker. Namjoo would feel really sorry for having hit him then.

Sehun scoffed at himself. Like hell she would. He had first creeped into her bedroom uninvited.

Slamming the faucet off Sehun stood there lost in thought until a guy shot him a stare to make him move. Sehun ended up at the student lounge with a tasteless sandwich in front of him and a cup of soda. After half an hour of just sitting there he tossed the food and headed outside. Pausing in front of the doors he stared up at the bountiful clouds. It was pretty. Quite a picturesque view. The sky, a happy remnant of what people’s day should be, but he wasn’t feeling it.

Namjoo wasn’t one to envy the sky or the stars.

Lowering his gaze, he wondered why it even mattered. Turning away he walked toward the street. There was no reason to be on campus today. Nothing was distracting him.

After shooting down Taihee’s phone call to join him for a night out Sehun plopped down onto the sofa. Namjoo was on her date with Lee Chul tonight. They were probably just doing what they did as high schoolers. Eating and going to the arcade. What dating experience did Namjoo have anyway? Chul would be bored by now, Sehun hoped.

During a commercial break Sehun got up to use the restroom. His phone was loudly ringing when he returned. He made a dash for it wondering if Chul was calling for him to go rescue him from boredom. Instead the call was from Taihee who spoke obnoxiously from the other end of the line.

“Dude, you won’t believe this!” Taihee exclaimed noisily. Sehun listened with a withheld sigh.

“What?” he asked disinterested.

“I thought that friend of yours was an innocent angel, but she’s out here in Gangnam,” he laughed amused. Sehun’s brows twitched. Friend? What friend? “Hey, not snitching or anything, but I was out here having a few drinks with some friends. Thought I might pick up some girls at the club, but as I was passing the motel, guess who I saw?”

Sehun listened to his annoying screeching laugh and wished Taihee would just hang up, because he didn’t care what he’d just seen.

“Are you done?” Sehun asked nonchalantly.

“Your friend! Your friend! That really cute girl you brought to the café that one time,” Taihee ignored him. “Namjoo, oh yes. Namjoo, the cute one. Oh dang! At a motel!” Taihee annoyingly laughed again. “She must be having the time of her life right now. I saw her go in with some good looking guy. Is he your friend too?”


***Well, here we are, at one of the story's turning points. Sehun's been aloof since Namjoo went cold on him, but that's about to change. The bruise Sehun got on his cheek is symbolical to their friendship. The bruise was first dark and visible - their friendship is still there because he held on - but now the bruise is fading because something is changing. The story's about to turn into an angry mess before that incident that binds them occurs.

***Anyway, on the other hand, Sehun made Chul return Namjoo home early xD It's too bad he doesn't get why Namjoo agreed to that date with Lee Chul or else he would have all the answers in his hands.