When Dreams Fall Flat

Just Like Now

§§§§§

Sehun always had meetings Thursday mornings. It was routine for the business and Namjoo had already adjusted to it. Being prompt was important. On Thursdays he always woke an hour early to prepare breakfast then get ready for work.

That Thursday Namjoo woke at her regular time, half an hour after him. She only had a sandwich then went back upstairs to dress up and put on makeup for work. Her plan was to get a bagel and some coffee on the way to work. To be ahead of time she had inquired for a cab that would arrive at the house at 7:30. Sehun should be gone by then.

“You’re still up here?” Sehun appeared at the foot of their bedroom door. “Breakfast is ready. Come eat.”

Busily combing her hair at her vanity, she replied, “I’m not having breakfast.”

“Why?”

“I don’t want to.”

“You always eat breakfast,” he pointed out. “I’ve cooked, so come down and eat.”

“I said I don’t want to,” Namjoo repeated looking at herself in the mirror. “Eat by yourself.”

“Namjoo,” he sounded stricter.

She was annoyed too. If she said it once he should have gotten the message. Why was he doing this to her?

Setting the comb down Namjoo turned to him, “I already told you I don’t want breakfast. Can you not hear me?”

“Why don’t you want breakfast?” he pestered. “Have something before you go to work. We need to leave soon.”

“I’ll go on my own today,” Namjoo said turning back to the mirror.

“I’ll take you to work,” he firmly stated, “so come down to eat. Worry about that later.”

Irritated, Namjoo slapped both hands on her vanity and turned to look at him, “I told you to go eat by yourself.” Muttering to herself as she stood, “Goodness.” Grabbing the clothes she’d set out on the bed she walked into the bathroom loudly closing the door behind her.

Did he not already understand that she could and would look after herself from now on? As if he had done much for her in the beginning anyway, so what was he trying to make up for? She wasn’t even asking for much. They could just live like normal again. This time around she just wouldn’t wait on him anymore.

Sehun was gone as expected when she walked back out. Returning to her vanity she grabbed her eyeshadow palette and makeup brush. One look at the time told her Sehun should be gone by now or at least done with breakfast and ready to leave. He had never been late for one of his meetings before and she expected that he would keep that streak up. After curling her lashes and putting on some mascara she grabbed her phone again. About 15 minutes before her cab would arrive. Figuring she had some time to spare she began playing some mobile games. A few minutes later an unknown phone number called her. It was the cab driver who was already outside.

“I’ll be right there,” Namjoo said then hung up. She stood and halted halfway when she saw Sehun standing in the doorway staring at her interrogatively.

“Who was that?” he wondered.

Namjoo nearly swore, “What the hell,” but asked, “Why are you still here?”

“Who called you?”

Grabbing her blazer from the bed and slipping it on she replied, “The cab.”

“You called a cab?” he repeated as if he hadn’t quite heard right.

Glancing at her watch, “Your meeting should start soon. I should get going as well.”

Namjoo started toward her purse sitting on the drawer but Sehun snatched it before she could reach it. Her eyes shot toward him then she frowned almost angrily. “What are you doing?”

Deeply exhaling as if to remain calm Sehun repeated what she’d heard a dozen times already, “I said I’ll take you to work.”

“And I said I’ll go on my own,” Namjoo sternly stared back. “Give me my purse.”

“Why’d you call a cab when I told you I’d take you?” Sehun demanded an answer. “I even made breakfast for you. We could have eaten and still get to work on time.”

“I don’t want breakfast,” Namjoo stated. “And I said I’ll go by myself because I can.”

“Call the driver and tell him to go back,” he ordered.

“You leave,” Namjoo argued. Then she asked very matter-of-factly, “You have a meeting to get to, don’t you?”

He huffed and puffed then swung around and darted down the stairs leaving her stunned. Coming to her senses, Namjoo hurried after him. Outside she caught sight of him talking to the cab driver through the passenger’s window. Stepping back onto the curb Sehun watched the cab drive off as Namjoo’s mouth dropped open.

“Are you out of your mind?!” she yelled.

The car beeped, unlocking as Sehun turned to walk toward her, “I’m at least sane enough to pay your cab fare.”

Shifting as he walked by Namjoo stubbornly said, “I don’t want to.”

Sehun looked at her and she saw irritation swimming in his eyes. “Get in the car.”

“Give me my purse,” she demanded.

Holding her gaze, he opened the driver’s door and tossed her purse in. Emphasizing each word, he said, “Get in.”

“Why are you doing this?” Namjoo questioned.

“Then why are you being like this?” he interrogated.

Namjoo was baffled, felt almost stupid. “Haven’t we always gone our own ways in the morning? What makes today different than any other day? You want to cater to me now because I have a broken arm?” Namjoo held up her left arm to display the cast swelling from underneath the sleeve of her blazer. “Only my arm is broken, nothing else is! I can still look after myself!” Breathing angrily, she ordered, “Give me my purse.”

“Why?” he asked. “Is it wrong that I want to do something for you? I want to take you to work, I want to bring you back home, and I want to make sure you’re doing well. I can’t look after you because I want to?”

Turning away with a breaking laugh Namjoo wondered why he wasn’t understanding her. Her insides were boiling mad. Take care of her? What a joke!

Looking at him again she hissed, “Don’t.” stepping back she opened the back door and slid into the back seat. She wouldn’t sit up front with him. She didn’t want to.

§§§§§

Namjoo left his car so fast when he drove up to her workplace that he couldn’t even apologize for getting worked up that morning. Sehun was at a loss because of her. Seeing her get upset because of him that morning made him so confused he didn’t know what to do but want his way. Why would Namjoo not want him to drive her to work? What about it was unlikeable?

He had woken up extra early just to cook for her. He had looked forward to sharing the day’s first meal together then they would get dressed together and head off to work. It was supposed to be like that. What had gone wrong?

Even though he was late to the meeting that morning nothing troubled him more than the argument they’d had. As soon as he returned to his office he sent Namjoo a text. She had lunch plans so he opted for dinner. It took her four hours to read his message and another hour and a half to reply. She would be having dinner with Yunyeong and that was it. She didn’t even tell him to have a good dinner or wonder about his plans. It had been two days since she was back at home but he was already feeling shoved aside. Normally, Namjoo would want to spend time alone with him. She’d want to have dinner in the privacy of their home or maybe even like to have a date after work. She was nothing of that sort.

Why?

Clocking out early he drove home stopping at the mart for some fresh grocery. The house was empty as it had been for three weeks when Namjoo was at her parents. Back then Namjoo would be the one home early and preparing a meal. Right now, he’d still be at work. How long had she waited for him then before deciding to eat alone? Had she missed him like he missed her now?

Plopping down into the chair by the table he stared at the grocery bag that still need unpacking. He didn’t want to do anything. When was Namjoo coming home? Pulling out his phone he glanced at the time and waited a few minutes before deciding to call her. At last, he thought, he should know where she was and what she was doing. The phone rang once, twice, and a few more times before he was sent to voicemail. Grumbling to himself he leaned forward to dig his face into his arms. Namjoo didn’t even bother to text or call back. Did she really not want to know how he was doing?

§§§§§

“Are you sure you’re allowed to drink?” Yunyeong wondered after the server placed a long cup of a mixed drink on their table.

They had gone somewhere quiet and private for dinner. Namjoo needed air away from home because it was suffocating with Sehun. She also felt dirty being touched by a man who had been with another woman. And she didn’t want to be struck with the memory of Seona. Anything but that.

“I’ve been drinking since I left the hospital.” Namjoo admitted taking a sip. “Mm…it’s good. You want to try?”

“Namjoo,” her friend called sympathetically.

“What?” Namjoo asked poking at her food. “You said you’d keep me company.”

“If you want to cry, just keep crying,” her friend said. “Drinking won’t do anything for you.”

“It takes away the bitterness inside,” Namjoo told. Popping some food into she chewed then took a drink. “I don’t want to go home. I want to stay as far away for as long as I can.” Looking at Yunyeong she admitted, “We had an argument today, because I wanted to take a cab. They have routine meetings on Thursdays. He’s never been late before and you know, he’s never offered to drive me to work before. Now, all of a sudden, he wants to do things for me.” She laughed, “How funny is that, right?” The pain inside welled up inside her eyes, “Now that I’ve broken my arm he must think I’m incapable of doing anything for myself. I’ll take you to work, he says, and I’ll pick you up. I’ll even wait for you.” Namjoo laughed again but the energy dissipated and she lowered her head to wipe a few tears.

“He makes me feel like ,” she mumbled.

“Have you,” Yunyeong wondered, “talked to him?”

“I don’t want to talk about her,” Namjoo bitterly said. “Imagine what our parents would say and think. It would just make me look like the real fool. Maybe I’ll just go back home and tell my parents it didn’t work out.”

“You won’t do that,” Yunyeong stated.

It made Namjoo bitter but her friend was right. “It’s not the right time to.”

“Should I,” Yunyeong asked, “talk to him?”

Namjoo looked at her friend. “You know, I feel like my eyes have opened up. The crash could have killed me. In those few seconds before blacking out all I could think about was that jerk. I’m so consumed by him I didn’t even think about the innocent baby. It made me realize what a waste I’ve become because of him. I couldn’t tell him about the baby. I know why now.” Namjoo choked back tears, “I was afraid. I never really knew what’s in his heart, who he’s thinking about. He didn’t marry me with his entire heart. I was seeing stuff just because I wanted to believe in this foolish dream that he really loved me too. Dreams like that really never come true. I got pregnant for no reason and I had to make this baby suffer, because I was stupid. Do you know how that makes me feel? I can never go back there.”

§§§§§

Sehun’s head shot up from where he’d fallen asleep at the kitchen table. Something had fallen from the other room. Was it Namjoo? Was she back?

Rushing down the hall he spotted a wrecked Namjoo struggling to get up from her knees. It looked like she had fallen or tripped…over nothing when she had walked in. The front door was ajar behind her and the night breeze whipping into the house urgently. Sehun hurried forth to push the door shut.

“Are you ok?” he asked worried grabbing Namjoo’s arm to help her up but she shrugged him away. He tried again to receive an angry and drunk shout in return. Finally stumbling to her feet Namjoo pushed her loose hair back as he stared appalled. “You were drinking?”

Ignoring him she staggered toward the staircase. Missing the first step she fell forward against the steps. Hurrying forward he tried to help her get up but Namjoo continued shrugging away his help. After a few helpless tries she shouted irritated, “Don’t touch me!”

At a loss for what to do he stepped back to watch her slowly get up to climb up the stairs. He was suddenly frustrated. She’d gone out to drink. Why? Was she stressed? What was wrong? Seeing her like this stressed him too. He was also hurt over the loss of their baby. Why couldn’t they go through this together?

He hurried up after her. Instead of walking into their bedroom Namjoo had gone into the nursery she had worked so hard on. Sehun discovered her standing in front of the crib they’d completed together. The hanging baby toy they’d hung over the crib was and playing a melody. Nearing he realized Namjoo was silently crying.

Reaching his hand up to hold and comfort her was a complete failure. Namjoo spoke aggressively to ward him off. “Go away.”

“Namjoo…”

Turning to him with a glare, “I said go away! Why can’t you understand me?! Stay away from me and my baby!” exhaling angrily she dropped down to a crouch and covered her face, sobbing bitterly. “My poor baby. I’m so sorry. I wasn’t good enough…”

Sehun hesitated to touch her again. He ended up unable to comfort her. Heading downstairs he quickly made a honey drink for her, but by the time he was back upstairs Namjoo was knocked out on the ground hugging the baby blanket she had bought alone. Sehun tried taking the blanket from her but Namjoo tugged back, digging her nails into the soft fabric. In the end, he just sat down to watch her without carrying her to the bedroom.

It was then that he realized how awful he had been leaving Namjoo to start up the nursery alone. She had also learned about the pregnancy alone and had lost the baby alone. He had been absent from all the events that had brought them together as a family.

“I’m sorry,” he apologized wiping the tears off her face.

He had left Namjoo alone for the night after covering her with a blanket. Namjoo was up early and bright the next morning, and acting as if nothing was wrong. The table was set. There was food for once. All that was different was that she didn’t even utter a word to him. Without waiting for him Namjoo sat down and began eating by herself. Sehun worked on preparing a honey drink for her hoping that if she had a hangover it would make her feel better.

Setting it down by her he said, “Drink some before you go to work.”

For once that morning they didn’t argue about anything. Namjoo calmly and quietly got into his car and they silently drove down the road. As he pulled into the parking lot of her workplace he suggested, “I’m sorry if I upset you these past few days. Lets have a talk tonight to figure things out. Does that sound ok?”

She didn’t reply as she unbuckled her seatbelt.

“I’m going to take that as a yes,” Sehun said. “Have a good day at work.” He tried leaning forward to give her a peck on the cheek but Namjoo avoided him by turning away swiftly. Half a second later the door was open and she was out without a farewell. Deplored, he watched her go into the building. If she looked back once he would run out to sweep her off her feet.

She didn’t.

Sehun drove off dejected and pondering over the past few days. All he had expected had backfired on him miserably. Namjoo had looked perfectly fine in the hospital. She had talked to him at the very least and had let him help her to the bathroom and with her food. Why now, did she not want anything to do with him?

It didn’t make sense. He was lost and confused. What did he have to do besides being patient? What could he do when Namjoo refused his every effort?

That day Namjoo neither answered nor read his texts.

Clocking out early he arrived at her workplace and waited in the parking lot for her to come out. After a few hours, he glanced at his watch again. The parking lot was empty now and yet, no one had walked out. He dialed for Namjoo who didn’t pick up her phone.

Finally, someone stepped out through the doors. Quickly sitting up with anticipation he let out a disappointed sigh when he recognized Yunyeong. Moving eyes toward the door he watched for Namjoo, praying that it was her to walk out next.

Then there was a knock on his window.

Scrolling it down he glanced at the high school friend. “Are you waiting for Namjoo?”

“When is she coming out?” he wondered.

“She’s not coming out,” Yunyeong told. His brows twined together confused. “She went to Ulsan with my sister.”

“Ul…Ulsan?” he stuttered.

“Come out,” Yunyeong said then stepped back. “I need to talk to you.”


***Namjoo is so wrong. Her arm is broken. She's also broken :(

***Yunyeong is about to give Sehun the lesson of his life. Get ready for a lot of tension next chapter