Seven

Monster

“Yongguk," Yongguk looked up at his partner, Lee Kikwang. "There’s a school fight going on, and the teachers can't stop it.” He said and Yongguk nodded, getting up and heading for their car.

 

 

When they arrived at the scene, they saw a ring of people. Two boys in the middle were fighting. Yongguk nodded at Kikwang, who ran to one side of the fight, pulling the kid away. Yongguk went to the other side, pulling the other kid away. The kid tried to jerk away from him, but Yongguk held tightly. Kikwang seemed to be struggling with the other kid too, who was trying desperately to get away from his grip.

 

“Let me go.” The kid Yongguk was holding snapped. “I'm not going to go after him.” Something in his voice told Yongguk he was telling the truth. He loosened his grip, not letting go completely, but the kid pulled away from his grasp. However, like he said, he didn't head for the other kid. He instead wiped the blood away from his nose, staring at the ground. 

 

A man shoved his way through the crowd. He had on a suit and he looked bewildered. However, he quickly composed himself.

 

“My office. Now.” He said the the two kids. The one Kikwang was holding finally managed to rip out of his grip, but Yongguk grabbed his shoulder and gave him a dark look. The kid glared back, but didn't try to get away. The principal turned to Yongguk and Kikwang. “You two can come, if you need.” Yongguk turned to Kikwang.

 

“You go back and report.” He said. “I’ll stay and listen so that I can fill in the rest of the details later.” Kikwang nodded.

 

“Got it.” He said and headed back to the car.

 

The principal lead them to the office. The boy that Yongguk had a hold of complained the whole way, but the other was staying silent. When they stepped in, the principal motioned for the boys to take a seat. Yongguk released the one, who plopped down, looking pissed. The other sat quietly, staring at his hands.

 

“Park Soonkyung, I expect this from you. But you, Choi Junhong…” He turned to the quiet kid, who didn't say anything. “You of all people, I expected to stay out of trouble. What happened?” Junhong didn't answer. Something about the boy was very familiar. The name Junhong… He couldn't seem to but a finger on it. Not to mention the way the boy held himself, tight shoulders and his lips pressed together in a thin line.

 

“I was just teasing him!” Soonkyung burst out. “And he suddenly punched me! So I hit him back.” He leaned back, looking furious. Junhong shot him a glare.

 

“That is not how it happened.” He hissed. “You were harassing me, not teasing. And I didn't hit first. You hit me after I told you to go away.”

 

“He told me to go rot in hell.” Soonkyung snapped, looking at the principal. Junhong didn't say anything and the principal turned to him.

 

“Junhong, is this true.” Junhong didn't look the man in the eye.

 

“Yes.” He said. “I’ll admit that. But I said multiple times before that to leave me alone. He wouldn't stop so I told him that and he punched me. I just tried to protect myself at first, but he hit me in the face again and my stomach so I hit back. Three hits and then it’s not assault to hit back, because you were defending yourself.” Yongguk frowned and the principal turned to him.

 

“Is this true?” Yongguk nodded.

 

“That’s the law. If he’s telling the truth, then he was using his right to defend himself. And Soonkyung is liable to be charged with assault.” Soonkyung sat up straight.

 

“I wasn’t even harassing him!” He said. “I was teasing him about his brother!”

 

“You mocked me and then after a few times of me telling you to go away you said ‘aw, are you just going to run and hide behind your stupid brother.’ Which is when I said to go rot in hell.”

 

“Junhong, that's no reason to lose your temper.” The principal chided and Junhong winced. “And I believe your brother won’t be happy to hear about this.” Suddenly, Junhong’s head whipped up, instead of looking at the ground. There was a weird look on his face, that made Yongguk slightly uncomfortable.

 

“Did you not hear?” He asked. The principal looked at him confused.

 

“What do you mean?” He asked and Junhong looked away, his face tightening.

 

“Never mind.” He said. “I’m not explaining. You can't make me.” A moment later he added, “You can try to call him. But I doubt he’d pick up.” Junhong’s voice seemed to crack at the end. Soon kyung narrowed his eyes slightly.

 

“Did your precious hyung ditch you?” He asked with fake sympathy. Junhong gave him a look of pure fury and Soonkyung shrunk back slightly.

 

“Don't.” He said, his voice dark. “Don't you ever talk about my brother. You don't know anything about him.” Yongguk frowned.

 

“Junhong, what’s going on?” He asked. Junhong sat back and crossed his arms.

 

“I'm not talking about it.” He said, his voice shaking slightly. “Don't… Don't make me talk about it.” Yongguk turned to the principal. 

 

“Excuse me for a moment.” He said and the principal nodded. He stepped into the hallway and pulled out his phone, dialing a number. 

 

“Hello?” A voice on the other end picked up. 

 

“Hey, Yoseob, can you do me a favor?” He asked.

 

“Oh, Yongguk. Sure, what is it?”

 

“Can you find out what happened to Choi Junhong’s older brother?” There was a silence on the other end.

 

“Why do you want to know about that?” Yoseob asked softly.

 

“The kid was in a fight.” He said. “And it has something to do with his brother.”

 

“... I’m going to give the phone to Mihye.” Yoseob replied after a moment. “She was in charge of the case and she can explain it better than I can.” He heard a faint call for the older woman and a moment later he could hear her.

 

“Yongguk, what do you need?” She asked. 

 

“What happened to Choi Junhong’s older brother? The kid was in a fight, which had something to do about him losing his temper after another kid mentioned his brother, and he told the kid to rot in hell.” 

 

“Junhong got into a fight?” Mihye asked in surprise. “I wouldn't expect him to… But honestly I don't blame him if he was being harassed over his brother.”

 

“Noona.” Yongguk pressed. “What happened?” Mihye sighed.

 

“Last year,” she started. “His older brother was murdered by a psychotic of an ex girlfriend. He was kidnapped and put in the trunk of the woman’s car, where she lit the whole thing on fire. She was found not guilty by reason of insanity.” Yongguk felt a rush of shock.

 

“What was his name? His brother, that is.”

 

“Himchan. Kim Himchan.” Yongguk swore softly. Suddenly, it all made sense. Junhong’s name, why he had seemed so familiar. A memory rose to the surface of Yongguk's mind.

 

 

“Himchan hyung!” The eleven year old said, running into Himchan’s arms. Yongguk grinned.

 

“Ah, Junhong. No hug for me?” He teased and Junhong let go of his brother, turning to the older boy. He wrapped his skinny arms around Yongguk’s middle.

 

“You aren't going to stay in town are you?” He asked, his voice slightly muffled. Yongguk detached the younger and knelt down.

 

“No.” He said. “The police academy I'm going to is in another city.” Junhong frowned.

 

“I don’t want you to go.” He said.

 

“Ah, Junhonggie.” Himchan said behind them and ruffled his younger brother’s hair. “You’ll see him again.” Yongguk suddenly reached out and wrapped the younger boy in a hug. He lifted him up and spun him around in a circle.

 

“Don't worry, jelly.” He said, the kid giggling at the use of his nickname. “We’ll meet again. And then I'll be an officer and I'll be able to protect you and Himchan

 

 

A/n I love getting feedback from you guys, please tell me what you like so far! It honestly makes my day!