Twenty three

Monster

It became a routine for them, taking walks. They would go out for maybe an hour, walking and making small talk, before returning to the base.

 

He never seemed to be alone anymore. When he wasn't talking to Zico, Kyung would be trying to ask him questions, or Sanha would ask him to practice, or someone would be trying to do something with him. Zelo had a sneaking suspicion that they were trying to distract him, keep him busy to protect him from something. But no one ever said anything, and Zelo pretended he didn't notice.

 

It was spring, when it all fell apart. It was almost like several years ago, like when he’d snapped and pulled a knife on Park Soonkyung. Except this time he hadn't expected anything like it to happen. And this time, it was worse, because he’d thought he’d finally found some peace within himself.

 

He was walking with Zico, when they stumbled across her. It was late at night, and Zelo accidentally bumped into a girl who was standing near a bus stop.

 

“Sorry.” He murmured as she turned to look at him. As he caught sight of her face, he felt his stomach drop. The thick lips and large dark eyes. The oval face surrounded by thick dark curls. “You.

 

It was her. The monster who had taken everything from him. He felt the world start to fall away and he unconsciously reached for his gun. Zico grabbed his arm but Zelo threw his hand off. Hyorin was staring at him in confusion.

 

“Um… I'm sorry, do I know you?” She asked, her eyebrows knitting.

 

“Don't you ing dare.” He snapped.

 

“Zelo, what the-”

 

Shut up!” He said, whirling to face Zico. Zico went white and took a step back, shocked. Then, Zelo turned back to Hyorin. “You don't recognize me, do you?”

 

“I- I- no?” She was stepping away from him now. Zelo pulled out the gun and pointed it at her.

 

“Don't move.” He demanded. “Don't take one more step.” She froze and Zelo could see her eyes filling with tears.

 

“I- I don't know who you are.” She begged. “What did I do?” Zelo pulled off his mask and gave her a cold smile.

 

“Don't know who I am? It has been a while. Last I saw you, you were getting a free ride to a hospital instead of going to rot in jail, like you deserve.” Her eyes widened and her jaw dropped.

 

“Junhong?” She whispered.

 

“Exactly.” She started shaking.

 

“J-Junhong, I'm sorry- I didn't- I wasn't-”

 

YES YOU WERE!” Zelo was practically screaming now. “YOU KNEW EXACTLY WHAT YOU WERE DOING!”

 

“Zelo!” Zico snapped. 

 

“Don't!” He growled at Zico. “Don't you dare get involved in something you don't understand.”

 

“Junhong, I swear-”

 

“You took him.” His voice was shaking, but his hand was still. “You light him on fire in the back of a car. He ing loved you and you murdered him because you’re a selfish and a sociopath.”

 

“I loved him, I just couldn't-”

 

“Don't give me that bull. I told you before, you can fool the whole entire world but you will never. Ever. Fool. Me.” He took a shaky breath. “You took everything from me. You're a monster, and you've created one as well. You're like everyone else I’ve known, except worse. You deserve to burn, just like how you made Himchan burn! You couldn't be happy with just ruining his life so you decided to take it! You took everything from me! Because of you, I have nothing! No one! You killed my brother and left me without anything! When Himchan died, I became a ing ghost of who I used to be.”

 

“Junhong, please, just calm down!” Hyorin begged and Zelo laughed.

 

“Who the is Junhong anymore?” He asked. “Junhong is who I used to be before you destroyed me. You've made a monster, Min Hyorin.” Tears were streaming down her face and she looked at Zelo pleadingly.

 

“You were such a sweet kid.” She said. “You would have never hurt anyone. You cried when you accidentally killed a butterfly.”

 

“A butterfly isn't something that killed a good man in cold blood.” He answered smoothly. “And people change. You think I wouldn't hurt someone? I’ve been in more fights than you can imagine. I’ll have no feelings about killing such a disgusting member of society. The world will be a better place without you.” Hyorin took another step back, and a gunshot rang through the air. She collapsed to the ground like a rag doll.

 

Zelo!” Zico yelled and Zelo froze. Was that… Had that…

 

“Oh god…” He whispered. “I just… I just shot someone. I just shot her. I-I-”

 

“Zelo.” Zico said, stepping towards him. “Zelo, put the gun down.” Zelo turned to look at him, his eyes wide and his face white.

 

“I shot her.” He whispered. “Oh God, I just killed a person. I'm no better than her. I-I never wanted… I never thought…” 

 

“Zelo, put the gun down.” Zico sounded more desperate now and Zelo realized the gun was pointed towards his head. His hand was shaking slightly and there were tears streaming down his face. 

 

“I never wanted to kill someone.” He whispered. “I only wanted… I only wanted her to pay… I only want my hyung back…” Somewhere in the back of Zelo’s mind, he heard sirens, coming their way. Zico’s eyes flickered and he looked even more desperate.

 

“Zelo, there are police coming. Put the gun down and come on.” Zelo shook his head, his eyes locked on Zico.

 

“I- I can’t…” Zico seemed to sense what was about to happen and bolted forwards. He managed to grab Zelo’s wrist and jerk his hand upwards just as Zelo pulled the trigger. Zelo tried to jerk away but Zico grabbed the gun and wrestled it from his hand. He threw it to the side and wrapped his arms around Zelo, who burst into tears and crumpled to the ground, pulling Zico down with him.

 

A moment later, a police car pulled up and two men jumped out.

 

“Police!” One yelled but it barely registered in Zelo’s mind.

 

“Get away!” He heard Zico snap. “Don't touch him!” A second later, they were being pulled away from each other and Zico was letting out a storm of swearing. Zelo was limp, not quite sure what was happening and not quite processing the world around him.

 

“Zelo! Don't answer them!” He heard Zico yell at him as he was pushed into a police car. “Just don't answer! They can't make you!”

 

 

 

A/N And there we go! Is our little baby jelly a killer? Am I really that awful? Maybe~