Nineteen

Monster

“Daehyun!” Daehyun opened his eyes groggily. His mother was standing in the doorway, something in her hand.

 

“Yes?”

 

“There's a letter for you. Some boy brought it.” Daehyun sat up and rubbed the back of his head.

 

“Okay. Can I have it?” His mother nodded and handed him the envelope. She then walked out of the room. There seemed to be something else inside the envelope than just a letter. Daehyn frowned and tore it open, and a small round object fell out. Daehyun picked it up and looked at it. 

 

It was a piece of candy. A cherry flavored one, like the ones he kept in his backpack. He frowned more and opened the letter, which was inside.

 

Please be careful, I don't want you getting injured. I hope you realize who it is from this note, and if you do, please don't start looking for me. Keep yourself safe and stay away from people like the one who attacked you. Okay?

 

 

“Yongguk, you have a visitor.” Kikwang called in and Yongguk frowned. He stood up and walked into the other room, expecting Yongnam or Natasha, but it was neither.

 

An awkward looking boy, maybe around nineteen, with thick lips and an odd look on his face. There was a bruise on his cheek and his hands were stuffed in his pockets. He looked weirdly familiar. The boy cleared his throat.

 

“Um, I’m Jung Daehyun. You… We spoke when Junhong went missing.” Ah. That was it. His mother was in charge of the orphanage.

 

“Do you need something?” Yongguk asked and Daehyun shifted.

 

“Could we talk in private?” He asked. Yongguk nodded and led Daehyun to his office. He closed the door and they sat down. A moment passed and then Daehyun sighed.

 

“I think I saw Junhong.” He confessed and Yongguk’s eyes widened. “And… I don't think you should keep looking for him.”

 

“What do you mean? If he's alive and-”

 

“Listen. He trusted me enough to hint at who he was and not tell anyone, and I’m technically betraying that, but you have to understand. There’s something Junhong is obviously hiding from, and I don't think it's just the police.”

 

“Daehyun, he's a missing person and technically a criminal. I can't just stop looking.” Daehyun looked upset.

 

“I came to you because I thought you’d understand. You seemed more sympathetic about him than any of the other cops that spoke to us.” Yongguk sighed.

 

“I am, it's just…”

 

“You want to find him? Do you care about him?” Daehyun asked.

 

“... Yes. I do. I knew him when he was younger.” It was another moment before the younger boy spoke.

 

“... If you’re going to insist on still looking then at least promise that this information stays between us.”

 

“Fine. But can you at least tell me what you think has happened?” Daehyun looked slightly suspicious. “I won't tell any of the others. I just… I have to know.”

 

“I think he joined a street gang.” Yongguk’s eyes widened. “I was being beaten up by some kid and he knocked me down and suddenly there was someone else there and threatening the kid saying that he would let him go this time but he better not pull this on anyone else.”

 

“And you think that was Junhong?”

 

“When he helped me up he seemed familiar. His eyes, at least. He was wearing a mask.” A picture of Junhong’s eyes flashed through his mind. Large and pretty, and very, very recognizable. At least to him. “And his voice, kinda. It was a bit deeper though.”

 

“It's been almost two years.” Yongguk said quietly. “Of course his voice would be deeper.” Daehyun kept talking, seemingly unaware of what Yongguk said.

 

“And today, I got a letter. I asked my mom from who and she said it was just some kid. But anyway, it had a letter telling me to be careful and not look for him, and a piece of cherry candy. I carry cherry candy in my bag, mostly because my best friend likes it, but I used to give some to Junhong sometimes to make him happier.”

 

“The person who delivered it wasn't Junhong?”

 

“He wouldn't risk it.” Daehyun said. “He probably paid the kid to deliver the letter.” Yongguk nodded.

 

“I… I won't tell anyone else about this. But it's good to hear Junhong’s okay…” Daehyun shifted, looking uneasy.

 

“I um… I should probably go now. Thank you though, for listening. And promising to not tell anyone.” Then he got up and left, leaving Yongguk with only a promise that he couldn't tell anyone Junhong was okay and a feeling of sorrow.

 

He leaned back, closing his eyes.

 

I’m going to find you, Junhong. Even if you don't want me

 

 

A/N Bang Yongguk. The most stubborn person in the fic, and for good reason. I love reading comments by the way, they give me life. I'm glad you guys have been enjoying the fic!